Car of the Month February - Saleen S7 '02 - Can you tame this beast?

Saleen S7 '02 Review
@Acan

There always comes a time in life when you have the choice or chance to take a risk :scared:, see where I’m going :sly:, good because all I see is myself going round and round and round...:lol:.

First impressions, I found it easy to control, out of curve acceleration needs a bit of throttle control but it’s easily adaptable. On long fast cures it could use some more stability to improve speed and control but again driven to it’s limits it does the job well. You do get a sensation of grip but once you reach around 180kmh in curves you start feeling a battle between the suspension and tire grip, keep accelerating and the tires lose. Braking is excellent and the handling of bumps is good.

I would put this car in the category of easy to drive, but hard to get a fast lap out of it, depends on what you want. When driven within it’s boundaries it handles very well 👍, and if that’s fast enough for you then that’s excellent. But when trying to reach the lap times of some other cars you have to leave it’s comfort zone and it becomes a bit harder to control and extract a higher performance from it.

This is not a competition and if your goal was to tame it and make it behave civil, well that’s very well accomplished and congratulations :bowdown:. If your goal was to make it a Time Trial monster then there is still some work to accomplish, I would suggest to try the other tunes and see how they are, what you like and dislike about them, you could even give them a review. For your records I was 1.340 seconds slower than the fastest in this category (not going to tell you which one :P), but that’s me driving and I’m not always equal to the task :odd:, sorry I’m only part alien :rolleyes:.

Note: First time I review one of your cars, so take what you like and use the cut/delete function for what you don't like.

Very good, :cheers:.

Saleen S7 '02 Review
@Acan

There always comes a time in life when you have the choice or chance to take a risk :scared:, see where I’m going :sly:, good because all I see is myself going round and round and round...:lol:.

First impressions, I found it easy to control, out of curve acceleration needs a bit of throttle control but it’s easily adaptable. On long fast cures it could use some more stability to improve speed and control but again driven to it’s limits it does the job well. You do get a sensation of grip but once you reach around 180kmh in curves you start feeling a battle between the suspension and tire grip, keep accelerating and the tires lose. Braking is excellent and the handling of bumps is good.

I would put this car in the category of easy to drive, but hard to get a fast lap out of it, depends on what you want. When driven within it’s boundaries it handles very well 👍, and if that’s fast enough for you then that’s excellent. But when trying to reach the lap times of some other cars you have to leave it’s comfort zone and it becomes a bit harder to control and extract a higher performance from it.

This is not a competition and if your goal was to tame it and make it behave civil, well that’s very well accomplished and congratulations :bowdown:. If your goal was to make it a Time Trial monster then there is still some work to accomplish, I would suggest to try the other tunes and see how they are, what you like and dislike about them, you could even give them a review. For your records I was 1.340 seconds slower than the fastest in this category (not going to tell you which one :P), but that’s me driving and I’m not always equal to the task :odd:, sorry I’m only part alien :rolleyes:.

Note: First time I review one of your cars, so take what you like and use the cut/delete function for what you don't like.

Very good, :cheers:.

Thank @TurnLeft for that review. i dont mind if it was good or bad review, that's what this forum about.

I am just a regular player who just play gt6 for fun and challenge. im not a fast player going for best lap time, im trying the best of me. But im pretty sure i wont be able to produce time trial tunes or ( i might trying out sooner or later) So the aim was to tame it as the OP title said.

Again i appreciate whatever positive or negative constructive review so that i am able to improve. 👍:gtpflag:

Since we are on the topic of Saleen's I gave mine to my B-Spec driver to see how he would do. It is on the Nurburgring in the wet against a Lexus IS F Racing Concept. Turned out to be quiet the battle.

- very good. until well into overdrive held the car when skidded. it shows that the car has good balance, I congratulate

- very good. until well into overdrive held the car when skidded. it shows that the car has good balance, I congratulate
I also was directing the guy a little telling him to push harder and it clearly wasn't the best directions since he did pass, but went off the track. I was pretty happy after the straight when he didn't go off when going top speed. Shows they do listen when you tell them to slow down lol

Indeed 👍

I also was directing the guy a little telling him to push harder and it clearly wasn't the best directions since he did pass, but went off the track. I was pretty happy after the straight when he didn't go off when going top speed. Shows they do listen when you tell them to slow down lol
Very nicly done. B-spec has a great use for doing tuning stability testing if the computer can't hold it. Very few people will be able too. Crazy fast car you have there.

Saleen S7 550PP / SS - ABS/1 - All other aids off
View attachment 315483

Built for - Super - Willow Springs 20-mile Challenge & Ascari Race Resort 10- Lap Challenge.

Car:Saleen S7 ‘02
Paint:Copper Red Mica
Rims: Standard - OZ Wave

PP: 550
HP: 447
WEIGHT: 1107kg
WEIGHT DIST: 52:48

TIRE(S): SS ( for lower grade tires throttle control is a must )

GT Auto:
Oil Change - No
Rigidity Improvement - No
Front Aero - No
Wing - No
Flat Floor - No

SUSPENSION: Custom Adjustable
RIDE HEIGHT - 90/83
SPRINGS - 12.50/10.80
COMP - 5/3
EXT - 2/6
ARB - 7/5
CAMBER - 0.7/0.0
TOE - -0.09/0.27

BRAKES: Race
BRAKES - 7/8

TRANS:Full Custom (install all power upgrades first!)
FINAL TO
TOP SPEED TO - 211mph
1ST - 4.997
2ND - 3.399
3RD - 2.692
4TH - 2.140
5TH - 1.776
6TH - 1.506
FINAL - Don’t touch, leave at 2.000

LSD:Full Custom
INITIAL - 7
ACCEL - 7
DECEL - 9

CLUTCH TYPE: Standard
CARBON SHAFT: Standard
TORQUE CENTERING DIFF: None

POWER PARTS:
ENGINE TUNING - Standard
COMPUTER - Standard
EXHAUST - Standard
MANIFOLD - Standard
CATALYTIC CONVERTER - Standard
INTAKE TUNING - Standard
SUPERCHARGER/TURBO -
POWER LIMITER - 81.5

WEIGHT REDUCTION - Stage 3
CARBON HOOD - Yes
WINDOW WEIGHT - Standard

BALLAST -
DOWNFORCE -

NOTE:

Boy, another sacred tune from our late member. Was using this on Green Hell with a few tweaks mainly to enable faster rotation. Certainly a tune that yields sub 7 minute lap time.

One nearly forgot that one is dealing with an MR car. The tune is very stable. Essentially it makes the Saleen as manageable as a FR car, while keeping the splendid MR rotation and acceleration ability.

If only there were many more tunes from our friend in Laval Canada.

Back