**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 04/05/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 13th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.
Thanks to MustangManiac for the first time review last week. His change of opinion on the Audi Estate last week made me smile so he has picked this weeks car for us.

And it is one right out of the blue, a car I have never driven or even really thought about.

HLGSG.jpg

The Isuzu 117 Coupe '68.

I know literally nothing about this car so look forward to finding out about it. Drive, compare, race and discuss. What are you waiting for?

Now that is left field.

I know, isn't it? I don't even know how it got into my garage. I must have crossed some minor game time milestone and it just appeared. Never heard of it, never seen one and never driven it, sounds like the perfect candidate for a COTW to me 👍

MustangManiac
I know, isn't it? I don't even know how it got into my garage. I must have crossed some minor game time milestone and it just appeared. Never heard of it, never seen one and never driven it, sounds like the perfect candidate for a COTW to me 👍

When I saw the picture I thought it was the Jensen Interceptor. I had to check mygranturismo.net to see if it was even in the game.

Great pick. Can't wait to flog it tonight.

Excellent choice, one of the best looking cars in the game I think.

It's a prize car from the beginners series in B-spec so easily obtainable.

Am looking forward to this one, even though I haven't even done last weeks yet!

iainn
It's a prize car from the beginners series in B-spec so easily obtainable.

Am looking forward to this one, even though I haven't even done last weeks yet!

It's not too late. If anyone has missed a week, you're welcome to still comment on them and have some fun. I've got a full list in my review from last week.

Sorry I've been away from these threads. Life, work, and a injured hand has kept me away, but for this week I'll have something ... maybe even a review :scared:

So, while I am stuck here at work all day I figured I should do something productive 💡 like do a little research on this car I picked for this weeks COTW. It didn't take long to figure out why PD decided to include this car in the game as there are quite a few "firsts" for the Japanese auto industry attached to it. She was one of the first Japanese cars designed by an Italian stylist (more on that in a bit) as well as being one of the first Japanese cars to have a DOHC motor, electronic fuel injection and is considered one of the first sports cars to have an available diesel motor option. The car was fairly exclusive in it's it time, the first year of production (1968, the one in the game) was limited to less than 50 units a month and essentially hand built.

Now, what's this about an Italian stylist you may be asking? The Isuzu 117 was designed by none other than the famous Giorgetto Giugiaro. The man who made a name for himself with designs like the Ferrari 250 Berlinetta Bertone, De Tomosa Mangusta, Iso Grifo and the Maserati Ghibli! In the 70's he switched style to the straight edge designs and is credited with the BMW M1 and both the Maserati Bora and Merak. Switching back to softer designs later in his career with the Lamborghini Cala, Maserati Spyder and the Ferrari GG50. He even designed the DMC DeLorean S2 that was COTW a few weeks back.

Now we know why PD included the car in the game and after seeing the list of cars Mr Giugiaro is responsible for (just google him) I know exactly why this little beauty caught my eye while rummaging around the back of the garage looking for something "different" for COTW. There was one other factor in my decision, but I will fill you in on that after getting some track time and posting some numbers.

I've seen this thread but never really looked in. Admittedly I hit it by mistake :lol: but I saw the Isuzu and thought I would give it go. As a classic fan, I have at least one in my garage so hopefully I'll get a chance to get a few laps in and make a contribution!

I've seen this thread but never really looked in. Admittedly I hit it by mistake :lol: but I saw the Isuzu and thought I would give it go. As a classic fan, I have at least one in my garage so hopefully I'll get a chance to get a few laps in and make a contribution!
That's five demerits for never checking out the CotW before!:crazy:
Get to ten and you have to do laps of the ring in a 2CV.:lol:

Nice pick - very different! Good news is, I actually have this car! So I'll get working on my first review asap.

wolfdragon97
Nice pick - very different! Good news is, I actually have this car! So I'll get working on my first review asap.

Thats 5 demerits for no previous CotW review.

This week should be a good one. I'll race mine online tonight, around 10p CST. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun.

Thats 5 demerits for no previous CotW review.

okayface.jpg

:lol:

I just need to get the pictures for mine now... I'll do that tomorrow. I'm lazy. Probably gonna seem like a lame review compared to everyone else's - especially you Mr. McClarenDesign lol. Mine is quite influenced by yours, but I doubt I'll be able to pull off the same imagination and humour. :P

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"I've tried everything other than jumping out of a plane, but nothing gives you an adrenaline rush like racing a car." -Nigel Mansellhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_mansellhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_mansell

Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe

Under the radar.

You may have heard the phrase used to describe something unexpected. Like a Stealth helicopter dropping off a few guests for a party at the neighbor's house, or the Los Angeles Kings making the playoffs... and then the second round.. Recently, the phrase struck close to home, when my wife slipped "under the radar" and got an attorney.

So imagine my surprise and shock upon arriving at the office to test this week's car. As I pulled into the carpark, I thought we were given a Jensen to test. Upon closer inspection, perhaps a classic Celica or a vintage Toyota. When I got closer, I found it was none of those things at all, but something rather...

Under the radar.

ClubmanStageRoute5-1.jpg

Who knew Isuzu made cars back in 1968? I sure as hell didn't. I was far too busy dodging the Vietnam draft, and positively glued to the television set as men like Martin Luther King Jr., RFK and Jim Clark dropped like flies. Then there was the space missions, the Black Panthers, Laugh In, the Heidi Bowl, Hot Wheels, and the Zodiak Killer batting clean-up.

Back then, who could be bothered with cars made by truck companies? There were Mustangs, Camaros, and Cudas pounding the pavement across America, Lotus, Aston Martin, and Jaguar in England, and Ferrari owning the rest of Europe. This was also the height of the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mentality in automotive industry. If you weren't participating at Daytona, Indianapolis, or Le Mans, why should we care?

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
Most people would award the title of "the most beautiful Japanese car" to the 117 Coupe. Everyone gasped at its figure when it was unveiled at the 1967 Geneva Motor Show, and in particular, the round headlight model produced until 1977, is considered one of the leading cars of Japan in terms of graceful styling.

Car design maestro Giorgetto Giugiaro worked on a great number of Japanese cars. One of the first designs that he drew after moving to Turin's Carrozzeria Ghia as the young star designer, was the 117.

At first, mass-producing the beauty of the 117 Coupe was thought to be impossible. However, betraying that expectation, Isuzu was able to bring it to the market in 1968 as the single best luxury passenger car in Japan. The fact that only 50 were manufactured per month, was another factor of exclusivity that got the consumers stirring. Because it was built almost exactly like the show model, the productivity of some of the components was very low, making it impossible to speed up production.

The engine at the time of its release was a 1.6L DOHC, common with the highest grade model of the Bellett. With twin choke Solex carburetors common in sports models, it produced 118 HP. Later, it is increased in size to 1.8L and 2L, but due to the rising emissions restrictions, there was no significant increase in performance. In 1973, production quantity was expanded to the 1,000's.

The 117 was a breakthrough in that it brought in beauty and luxury to the world of Japanese cars, which had seen nothing but utility and functionality during its growth. it was continued to be produced until 1981, and toward the end of production, a limited "Giugiaro" version named after its designer was also released.

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_1.jpg

Ah, yes, Giorgetto Giugiaro. You may remember his name from the DeLorean test we did for Week 7. You may also know him for the Ferrari 250 GT Bertone, the BMW M1, the De Tomaso Mangusta, the Volkswagen Rabbit, the Lotus Esprit, or maybe just from the Chevy Lacetti used on Top Gear. Clearly, the man knows a thing or two about styling.

With only 50 units produced each year, our 1968 was a rare bird indeed. Thankfully, our producer had procured the services of Isuzu's Works factory team, which up until now I wasn't aware they had one. Isuzu isn't exactly known for going fast, and to be safe they also sent a factory representative named Iwo, who would guide us through the nuances of our luxury Coupe.

Iwo's family also produces 50 units a year. Imagine the diapers.

To demonstrate this fact, Iwo brought along a few relatives, and loaned us his son for the test. I say "loaned", but it was more like insistence. The driver our producer hired was busy at the local hospital, getting mended for injuries sustained on the way to the office, which doesn't say much for his skill behind the wheel. Iwo assured us that his son, Hoshima, was well qualified for our needs, having spent several years karting at his local track. Pressed for time, Hoshima was our only feasible option.

Horizon00glitch.jpg

Hoshima- son of Iwo, Dragon of the 117

Performance as Purchased: November 27, 2010, Astra Silver (Grey)
Displacement: 1,584 cc
Max. Power: 115 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 102 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Drivetrain: RWD
Length: 4,280 mm Height: 1,320 mm Weight: 1050 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 339
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

With handcrafted cars come handcrafted problems. No two parts are identical, and repairs must be made in a meticulous fashion. When only 50 are produced each year, this makes everything far more difficult and time consuming than it does on your normal passenger car. The paint must be kept original, the mileage low, and anything you do to it has a direct effect on its value. You simply don't take a car like this to Jiffy Lube, and expect to rake in the cash when the time is due.

Iwo's men didn't rip into the car like the crews we've seen before. Each part was gently removed, inspected, cleaned, and nurtured. As the crew worked, there was no useless banter, no childish pranks, nor any messing about. It was as if Iwo had brought in a team of nannies to look after the car, each giving the car love and affection as if it were their own child. All told, Mike and the Mechanics had caressed only 6 extra ponies, and 6 Performance Points. Were were told that we likely wouldn't feel those extra ponies, and our producer assured us that the extra Performance Points were worth the effort.

He still couldn't tell me what they do, though. Something about admission to a water park of some sort.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 121 hp, Max. Torque: 107 lb-ft., Max. Performance Points: 345

FujiSpeedwayGT-1.jpg

Mike (standing) and the Mechanics

Having both car and driver sorted, our crew packed up and headed to our test track to see what this Japanese-Italian coupe was capable of. Hoshima settled into the plush seating, and familiarised himself with the controls in the same manner one would encounter an old flame. Iwo says he has a passion for the classics, and it's easy to see from afar. Slowly, Hoshima slid to the line, in preparation for displaying 121 hp of hand-crafted speed.

When the lights went green, young Hoshima gave her all she was worth. Sadly, while other cars of the time were mastering the quarter mile, ours was still an infant. Halfway down the track, our spotters noticed Hoshima rocking back and forth in the seat, attempting to will the car faster. No amount of pushing, begging, pleading, nor any prayers were able to help. What seemed like years passed, before the data displayed a quarter mile time of 0:17.976, and a 0-60 time of 0:10.539.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:44.540, 0-100 mph: 0:28.979, Max. G-Force: 0.52G, Top Speed: 122.7 mph

SpecialStageRouteX-3.jpg

For a car that looks like this, I can't help but be disappointed by the numbers. By far, this is the slowest car we've ever tested for the Car of the Week, and with its pedigree we were sure she wouldn't let us down. Hoshima arrived back in the pits, and initially conveyed a similar amount of disappointment, confirming initial reports of rocking in the seat. However, he offered me a chance to better explain the car by asking me to join him for a joyride.

As we left, Hoshima began to describe his "cool down" trip back into the pits. No longer concerned with pushing the cars limits, he talked of taking in the details around him. The interior, the steering, the sound of the engine. Looking out the window, it struck me too. I don't think we've ever actually rolled a window down in the Car of the Week, but I sure as hell did now. Leaning back, the scent of the outside air began mixing with the interior, producing near-illegal forms of automotive euphoria.

Of course, like any relaxing drive through an unfamiliar country, it simply isn't complete until you're accosted by the locals in their tarted up weapons of mass compensation. Children convinced that their cars will be on the next cover of TunerNOSport magazine, and use words like "Nos" and call everyone "bro". Okay, these fellows weren't as bad, but they did look like they wanted to race, and why is Hoshima-san smiling.

Oh (expletive).

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca-2.jpg

At the stop sign, the hooligans line up and began revving their engines. Instantly we're all off, twisting our way through country roads in a nearly priceless, and equally as slow, classic against two local youths. With uphill and downhill sections, Hoshima-san uses every ounce available to keep up, and it isn't actually quite bad. There isn't a lot on tap, but when it's used the car seems to come alive.

And we passed a BMW. I can only imagine the look on the owners face when he realized he was passed by a car made by a truck company, but then again Lamborghini started off making tractors, and look where they are now. Turn after turn, Hoshima carries as much momentum through the corners as the squishy tires will allow, and still managing the keep the BMW at bay. A few miles later, the driver tears off in a separate direction, and I've had the same epiphany as Hoshima-san.

When we finally get back into the city, we're back to more fun. Hoshima-san and I stopped at a local petrol station to refuel, and were met by two locals with classic cars, likewise out on a cruise. GFurtado_82 was the proprietor of a Brazilian banking firm, and the other gentleman claimed to be One-Bad-Gt. With the introductions out of the way, our chatter eventually turned to all things petrol, including the precious 117 Coupe Hoshima-san and I were in. When we told the two of our previous encounter with the BMW, both invited us on their own personal tour of the city.

What they didn't tell us is that we'd be seeing every tourist stop along the way, simultaneously breaking every traffic code written in the books, some of them more than once.

CtedAzur-1.jpg

It all started innocently enough, much like any other cruise. Eventually one will feel the need to display his automotive prowess, followed quickly by the others. Lights go off, feet go down, and all of a sudden everything becomes a blur. Signs flash by with important notices and warnings, but they get lost in the determination to catch up or stay ahead. Old ladies crossing the street are just another obstacle to avoid, much like a cone or pothole. You might even see flashing lights in the rear view mirror, provided that you ever looked at it in the first place.

Isuzu isn't known for racing cars, just like it isn't known for constructing sofas or decorating the White House. They don't have gobs of power, but this one did have exclusivity and luxury. Isuzu understood the other thing outside of racing that people enjoy... you know, driving. The 117 wasn't the fastest, but you wouldn't know it at a red light. Cars of today have become slaves to the technology thrust into them, while the 117 is elegant because of its craftsmanship and simplicity. It doesn't need any of that pop-up headlamp frippery, nor cowl-inducted buffoonery.

All it needs to do is exactly what it was designed to do... put a smile on your face. To that end, there are few better. Now, if you don't mind, I've got a radar to re-calibrate.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of American Eagle Outfitters. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. May cause drowsiness. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the history lesson ;)
Haha Just kidding, great write up McClaren turned out well.
I loved that beyond cheesy commercial :P

Are you ready? Are you suure you're ready? Are you positive you're ready to read my first review?

Fine. I warned you. Don't throw your insurance at me when something bad happens.

wolfdragon97's Review of the 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupé

TsukubaCircuit_7.jpg

The Isuzu 117 Coupé. To be honest with you, I didn't really have any idea this car existed. But really, all classic Japanese cars look similar to me, unless they've got some other kind of signifcance... like the '69 Skyline GT-R or something. I do love that Skyline. I don't have any memories of this car to tell you about. Simply because I wasn't in existence back then. Neither does my dad, if I asked him. He was only 2 years old in '68. Back then, my granddad was driving Vauxhalls or whatever else he was interested in. "Vauxhalls? Katie, I thought you hated Vauxhall?" I hear you say. And you're correct. I hate Vauxhall. But back then my granddad didn't, until about 5 years later when he discovered Ford was a far better company. in our opinion anyway. But this isn't a review of my granddad's preference in cars. It's about the 117 Coupé. Can't forget that little accent. Coupay. Heh, I like that word. Coupayy. Cooopeehhh. Co-

"JUST REVIEW THE DAMN CAR!"

Alright, alright, I will. Jesus. Sorry.

The Isuzu 117 Coupé was a 2-door fastback coupé, obviously, I mean, you wouldn't call an estate a 'coupé', would you? You'd call it an estate. But anyway - it was manufactured by Isuzu Motors Ltd. from 1968 until 1981. The successor of the 117 was the Piazza. It was debuted as a prototype in 1967 at the Geneva Motor Show, and later shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in the same year. In 1968, Isuzu began manufacturing the 117 on a small scale, bringing out a measly 50 cars a month, handmade too. The first engine available for the 117 was a 1.6L DOHC inline 4. Then when Isuzu realised the 117 was far more popular than they expected, after teaming up with General Motors they decided to throw it into mass production. Still being handmade at a much faster rate.

So anyway. History lesson aside, it's time to put this Isuzu to the test. Or rather, my test. Which probably isn't that good.

The stock stats of my 117 are as follows;

Max. Power: 114bhp
Max. Torque: 14kgfm @ 5000rpm
Performance Points: 338
Miles: 0.0
Colour: Adonis Yellow

Don't ask how or why it has no mileage. That's for me to know and for you to never, ever, find out. ಠ_ಠ

Anywho - back on to the 117. 114bhp - that's pretty shifty for what it is. I'd say so anyway. Okay, maybe not. But anyway. 114bhp is all good stock - but I'm a Hoonigan, and Hoonigans need power, right? Right. So, we all know changing the oil in our happy little cars can make them feel a lot better and produce more power! Changing the oil in my Isuzu takes the bhp up to 120. Better... but still not good enough for me. But it'll have to do for now. I have 3 laps to test this out on.

I could use the good old 'Ring to test the Isuzu out, but I thought I'd be nice and take it back to it's home country of Japan. Of course, the track has to be Tsukuba! It'd be rude not to, right?

TsukubaCircuit_2.jpg

Out of 3 laps, the best time I managed to get was 1:17:880 on lap 2. I must admit, I was quite surprised at the agility of the car and speedy-ness. I even managed to flip the tail out without trying!

TsukubaCircuit_5.jpg

A good start so far for the Isuzu... being tail happy is always a good thing around Hoonigans. However, on the 3rd lap I ran a bit too wide...

TsukubaCircuit_12.jpg

So, that's 3 laps done around Tsukuba in a stock Isuzu 117. I pulled a time of 1:17, and probably a lot of you are thinking, "1:17? Is that it?", well, yes. That is it. I'M A WOMAN. I CAN'T DRIVE. sexist towards myself but oh well.

Should we do some work on it? I think we should. Otherwise the review would end here and that would be boring... as much as stock cars are fun, when you have the money, you just HAVE to tamper with them. At 1050kg, I don't really think weight reduction is needed. So how about the engine? A Sports ECU for sure. That takes our humble 120bhp up to 128bhp, and our 345pp to 351pp. Engine upgrade? Lets go for a stage 1 upgrade, which gives us 133bhp and 356pp. Next, a sports intake manifold, giving us 137bhp and 360pp. A racing air filter would make a nice touch too, producing a total of 142bhp and 365pp for us so far. A sports catalytic converter takes us up to 147bhp and 369pp, and a further exhaust manifold gives up 152bhp and 373pp. 152bhp is roughly the same as Bruiser when he was stock. "Bruiser? Who the fudge is Bruiser?" I hear you say. Look to your left, and up a bit until you see a black car - also known as my avatar. That there, my kind sirs and madams, is Bruiser. My 2003 Ford Mondeo Zetec. But more on him later - unfortunately, this isn't his review. He's my assistant. He's a bit like Christine, 'cept he doesn't kill people... most of the time.

What about the transmission then? Any decent car enthusiast should know that if you upgrade performance, you've got to upgrade everything else - or you'll end up spending a lot more money replacing broken stock parts that can't keep up with your aftermarket parts. Been there, done that, still doing it. A quick 5 speed tranny should do us good. Nothing too fancy, but can still keep up with our new engine upgrades. Now we've upgraded the gearbox, we need to upgrade the clutch! A single plate clutch and a sports flywheel later and we have more engine response. Our little Isuzu can now fly(ish) through her gears with ease.. in theory.

Suspension! We can't forget about that, can we? A fixed sports kit gives us reinforced springs and shock absorbers, which is good enough for me.

So now, our stats will have changed. Obviously. Hopefully. Otherwise I've wasted about 50 grand.

Max. Power: 152bhp
Max. Torque: 17kgfm @ 5400rpm
Performance Points: 373

With our new and improved 117, it's time to go back to the track and drive those 3 laps. I'll try not to go off on the last corner on the last lap this time...

TsukubaCircuit_1.jpg

This time I managed a fastest time of 1:14:753, just over 3 seconds faster than the stock time! And I didn't turn too wide, and in fact achieved the best time on the 3rd lap. I would've loved to have stayed out there and try for an even faster time, but I was getting some stares I didn't like from the Japanese marshals. They wanted me off to the track, so reluctantly, I returned to the pits.

I think I took my flying lap a bit too literally. I literally went flying.

TsukubaCircuit_10.jpg

Here are some more photos Bruiser took for me - yes, the car took the photos. What, you thought I could take photos whilst driving? Someone had to do it, and the marshals didn't take a liking to me. After all, he is my assistant. Better than your assistant.

TsukubaCircuit_9.jpg

TsukubaCircuit_8.jpg

TsukubaCircuit.jpg

So, I've driven a total of 6 laps around Tsukuba, timed myself, had Japanese marshals eyeball me, had to dig into my own pocket to customize something I was only told about this morning for something I'm getting minimum wage for, and have my own car take my photos. My verdict on the Isuzu? A bundle of fun. Yes, I'm missing 50 grand now, yes, I've probably been banned from Tsukuba for going over the amount of time I payed to drive there, but it was worth it. Despite currently only being at 152bhp, that 117 is a bundle of fun to throw into the corners, slide around the corners, and slowly but surely make your way along the straights. It's even good in the gravel.

Not bad for an old Japanese Isuzu that not many people, including myself until a few hours ago, know about. Not bad at all.

TsukubaCircuit_6.jpg

:gtplanet: Brought to you by Bruiser, your neighbourhood friendly Mondeo. Well, neighbourhood friendly most of the time.

Last edited:
A 1:17 at Tsukuba? Maybe that's where this Isuzu got it's name from.💡

Actually, 117 was an in-house codename for a new development program of Isuzu midsize cars, which included a coupe, sedan, and station wagon. The sedan and station wagon went on to be called the Florian, while the coupe retained the 117 codename for it's name.

Just the one quick picture from me, still not feeling to good after my recent op. Any way I thought that this was an unusual choice for C.O.T.W. but atleast it gives everybody the chance to try something new.

117COUPE-brochjpg.jpg

As I mentioned before there was something else that caught my eye about this car and that was her stock numbers. The one I have came with 114hp/338pp and with a little maintenance came to 120hp/344pp. I figured my usual mild tune: ECU, intake, exhaust, tranny and some good rubber should get me near the 400pp range. My buddy Bob and I have been looking to replace our tried & true, but getting worn, Mazda Eunos J roadster that we use for all the 400pp events and a good looking classic like this seemed promising. The final numbers with the tune came out to 159hp/378pp. I will list the numbers stock / tuned:
1/4 mi........18.048 / 16.045
1.0 mi........44.680 / 40.238
0 - 60.........10.589 / 7.701
0 -100........29.233 / 20.123
max G...........0.51 / 0.64
max spd......121.7 / 122.9
The stock numbers were nothing to brag about, but the tuned ones didn't look too shabby for a nearly 50 year old car, especially one its class. So it was out to my usual track, Deep Forest, to see what she could do. My best of ten laps in stock form was 1:43.958, I was able to cut over 11.5 seconds off of that with the tune at 1:32.219. That seemed respectable enough so I took her to a 5 lap a-spec event at Tsukuba circuit, a great little track for small, light weight cars like this. I posted a best lap of 1:07.4 and a total of 5:43.5 as long as the win for the event. So it looks like it is time to retire the Mazda and switch to the Isuzu. She is plenty competitive in her class and she looks awful good out on the track!

That's five demerits for never checking out the CotW before!:crazy:
Get to ten and you have to do laps of the ring in a 2CV.:lol:

Presumably this is without even an oil change and the addition of full ballast to simulate a 1950s French family going on a sightseeing tour, but without the delight of stopping off for a small picnic of fromage, pain et vin.

Wishing to avoid further demerits and such a cruel and unusual punishment, I will offer my opinions on the wonderful Isuzu 117 Coupe in short order. Unfortunately I have no actual lap times to put in as my 3 year old son acquired the notepad I'd been using and scribbled on my notes then screwed it up and threw it in the bin. This isn't a desperate variation of 'the dog ate my homework' excuse, it happened I tell you.

Oh well, the best laid plans of mice...

Isuzu 117 Coupe: Beauty and the Meek?

Classic 60s Italian styling and Japanese engineering combine to make a stylish and pleasant drive.

117_TrialMountain_6.jpg

As a classic fan I do tend to snap up any that come through the UCD and OCD but don't get a chance to drive many them. Luckily I stumbled across CotW, so I had a look in my garage and sure enough there were two brand new 117 Coupes: one in the 'Astra Silver' and a second in the enchantingly named 'Blue Bell'. I normally drive without aids except ABS=1, however I have been dabbling with no ABS and decided this would be a good candidate.

I took Blue Bell and did few laps on Deep Forest and Trial Mountain to find the the Isuzu surprisingly agile and despite the modest horsepower and relatively wide 4 speed 'box it has reasonable acceleration; the 1600cc engine has wide range of useable revs and changing gear at, or just below, the red line drops the revs into the wide powerband so you don't get bogged down.

I found the soft tyre a bit too grippy, so tried again with Comfort Hard and I felt that this revealed the true nature of car. The ride height and almost alarming roll and pitch of the soft suspension be-lie the actual driving experience: with modest pace, turn-in is more than acceptable with hardly any understeer; mid-corner the car is very balanced and the exit brings no nasty surprises. The compliant setup easily absorbs bumps and undulations and even a clumsy strike of a big curb is treated with nonchalance.

TrialMountainCircuit_2.jpg

Turning it up on a hot lap there is still little unruley behaviour to be found but you need to keep your wits about you. Slight understeer can be neutralised with prod of the gas and/or a small flick of the wheel - this may bring on a controllable four wheel drift (:)), and as long you weren't too hot into the corner you won't go off the tarmac. Too much turn-in or a heavy boot, however, will bring on a polite but insistant oversteer which needs to be caught quickly to prevent a slow spin. Being too eager on the exit will often induce the inside rear to light-up with resultant loss of acceleration and stability.

Trial Mountain's fast combination corners provided the highlights for me with the 117 adopting a cool-looking oversteery drift in the style of the old race cars.

I ran TM and DF again with the comfort softs, easily gaining 4 or 5 seconds (this is where things get vague due to my son eating my homework - see above:dopey:). Staying with the Comfort Softs I headed for my own test/fun track 'Windy Hill'. Being based on MT Aso it is a short track with a wickedly steep uphill section - you approach this flat out from the undulating straight into a sweeping right in a hollow. You must brake hard as you hit the rise but keep control and momentum to take the hill and a blind left. The 117 deals with applomb: that slight high speed drift through the hollow (around 100mph) then the easy going ride and relatively low power mean you can go full throttle over the rise without the rears spinning up (around 40mph). Love it!

MtAsoTarmac_8.jpg

All was good, but it was clear that this sweet-handling Coupe could easily deal with a few more horses. In the garage I went for a few modest sports upgrades: air filter, exhaust and a 'timing adjustment' (CPU), along with an oil change this gave a handy 140 BHP. The only other change being brake bias to 5/4.

On the track the revs now rise towards the limit with purpose and the noise is noticably sporty. The extra power now can now overwhelm the CS tyres but unless you make a mistake or get silly, it still doesn't bite too often. With this modest tune, I found the 117 Coupe to be a fun drive without losing the original feel. I won't take this one any further, I'll leave the crazy tuning to likes of Desparado.:crazy:

Really liked this this car: the setup is more GT than track day, something to be seen in and cruise those scenic roads. Beneffiting from it's low weight, even with modest power it pulls nicely through the gears and if pushed hard through the bends the neutral handling means it remains calm, but it is definitely not meek.

MtAsoTarmac_10.jpg

EDIT: Photos added.

Last edited:
Back