**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 06/07/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 22nd installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

After a recent stunning return to form, I have once again given the choice of car to one of our most talanted journalists, McClarenDesign. His choice of a "More fast, less furious!" Japanese classic will be very popular I am sure.

The Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R '90 AND / OR Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo '88 (Premium)

toyota_supra_25gt_twin_turbo_r_90.jpg

Banzai!

Last edited:
-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"Been a lot of arse-kissing going on." -Jenson Button

Week 22: 1988 Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A and 1990 Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R

Road trips. I love them, you love them, and once upon a time all of America did too. Once the horse was replaced, roads were built, enabling mankind the opportunity to pack up and leave at will. No carriages, busted wagon wheels, nor any soot-covered, loud, obnoxious locomotives could equal the on-demand capabilities of the automobile. Once the World Wars were over, nearly everyone across the planet rekindled their passion with the automobile.

Perhaps the best part, especially for a driving enthusiast such as myself, isn't the destination but rather the journey. It doesn't matter if we're traveling hundreds of miles, or just a few meters, it's the manner in which it is accomplished that sticks with you. This is exactly why your choice of automobile is so important. Motorists simply travel from point A to point B, while enthusiasts live or die in the distances inbetween.

This weekend, my wife and I decided to skip our respective responsibilities, and travel to a far off land for a much needed taste of heaven. Rather than fly, we elected to take the enthusiasts approach, and decided to travel on the interstates. If you enjoy personal freedom, there's simply no better way to travel.

Kyoto-Shoren-in-2.jpg

In order to finance our spontaneous getaway, I was still required to put in some work. As luck would have it, we'd be testing two cars this week, and our producer has agreed to lend me my choice of the two for our vacation, provided I covered the actual expenses of said trip. You see, after last week's enlightening experience with the Spirra, the accountants have had the purse strings welded shut.

Arriving at the office, I found two of our interns bickering over which car was the right car, each offering very convincing arguments void of actual facts. Behind them lay two nearly identical cars, both bathed in the same shade of black as Michele Bachmann's heart. Had either of the idiots bothered to learn how to read a VIN number, this problem could've been resolved in matter of seconds.

Nevermind the fact that they were actually arguing over MkIV Supras, and not the MkIIIs behind them. Idiots.

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi-2.jpg

The Mark III Supra was a significant step forward for Toyota, and if I'm honest, quite the guilty pleasure of mine. The fact that we get to test two of them is like getting two Red Ryder BB guns for Christmas... and shooting someone else's eye out. Choosing between them is going to be harder than deciding if Miller Lite is awesome because it tastes great, or because it's less filling.

Instead of settling the unfolding disagreement like any other gentleman, I instead handed one of the interns a plastic spork, with specific instructions to go for an eye. Clearly reason had left these two hours ago, and the only way anything was going to be settled is to let them Thunderdome it out.

Two interns enter, one intern leaves.

SpecialStageRouteX_2-3.jpg

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
Using the popular Celica (which made its debut in 1981) as the foundation, Toyota decided to embark on making a true sports car that would challenge the best examples from Europe. And after much research and development work, the company introduced the Supra in 1986.

Built on the Soarer's rear-drive platform, the Supra featured a double-wishbone suspension based on that of the 2000GT-4 performance car. The ride quality was tuned more toward the mild side to ensure a smooth ride during normal driving conditions, but when confronted by meandering mountain roads, the Supra delivered thanks to its rigid body structure and flawless balance.

The new Toyota sports car was large for a coupe, measuring a 181.8 inches long, 66.5 inches wide and 91.5 inches high. It initially came powered by a 3.0-liter turbocharged engine that produced 227 HP, with a twin-turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 (182 HP) and normally-aspirated versions added later (104 HP and 138 HP). But the most noteworthy Supra model of this vintage was the 3.0GT Turbo A, which appeared in 1988. This model became the foundation for a race car that competed in the Japan National Touring Car Series. It used a 3.0-liter turbo engine that produced 266 HP.

In 1990, this power plant was replaced by the 1JZ-GTE in the 2.5GT Twin Turbo R. The new engine cranked out 276 HP, which was the maximum allowed for JDM cars at the time.

SpecialStageRouteX_1-7.jpg

You may remember the 2000GT from Week 19, and the incredible fun that car provided. Although the '88 Supra is heavier, it still retains that classic engine, along with steroids in the form of a twin turbocharger. Although this car is heavier, it also had 20 years of additional research and development, which we proved quite useful last week.

Another interesting fact is that this car was produced to conform with Group A homologation rules, although the car wasn't exactly competitive. Of course, after witnessing first hand what Group B was like in Week 9's Lancia, I can't imagine anything being considered fast next to those cars, and the plunging TV ratings reflect that sentiment.

Only 500 examples of the Turbo A were ever produced, so once again we've been entrusted with a rare auto, and expected not to screw it up. Thankfully, we've been given a car that will help us, rather than commit Seppuku.

NrburgringGP_F-1.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 27, 2010, Black (Black)
Displacement: 2,954 cc
Max. Power: 258 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 256 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,620 mm Height: 1,300 mm Weight: 1530 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 424
Mileage: 312.3 mi.

As we've already mentioned, our bank account is currently being held hostage by a small army, so our access to funds is rather limited. Usually we'd invite a factory crew to come help us with our testing, and provide valuable insight and information about the cars we're dealing with on that particular day. However, with a budget that couldn't feed the crew at McDonald's, sacrifices had to be made.

To our rescue came Ken, the same Toyota mechanic who lent us his services for the 2000GT. However, because Ken's labor doesn't come cheap, he was able to barter his expertise in exchange for initial testing duties, which effectively murders two birds with the same shell. Eat your heart out, Oswalt.

6h1bgo.jpg

Ken- Toyota mechanic, ace driver, and free to a good home. Image Source

While Ken's team of Toyota technicians went to work, I had to find some racing coveralls, and quick. Ken isn't a short man, and finding a racing suit his size on short notice required similar resources and skills of a Wall Street stock trader. Frantic phone calls, screaming matches, various hand signals, and eventually the relocation of various bits of assets from one party to another.

Two hours later, I had a migraine headache, the most ridiculous racing suit I'd ever seen, and a spare fish I couldn't get rid of. Turns out you can get nearly everything from a place called Craigslist, and sometimes you can arrange it for next to nothing. Although I invested two precious hours of time, I was able to get the aforementioned silly suit delivered to the track, and all for the low, low price of $20.

Having Ken look like a tarted up ice cream truck driver was an extra bonus. Although Ken wasn't amused, we were, especially considering the extra 13 hp, 13 ft-lb. of torque, and 7 Performance Points we'd gained from a simple oil change. With a mint 0 miles on the odometer, nothing else was needed.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 271 hp, Max. Torque: 268 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 431 PP

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca-4.jpg

Performance as Purchased: April 11, 2011, Black (Black)
Displacement: 2,491 cc
Max. Power: 259 hp @ 6,200 rpm
Max. Torque: 253 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,620 mm Height: 1,300 mm Weight: 1520 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 427
Mileage: 12,932.5 mi.

Next up was the 1990 2.5 Supra, with a few more extra miles despite being two years younger. Although the smaller engine lacked displacement the car does save 20 kilos compared to the '88 model, and includes a host of upgrades that should ensure that it's at least competitive with its older sibling. Adding the Momo steering wheel and gear shift knob completes the package, uniting man and machine together.

However, even Ken's crew here having trouble telling the cars apart, so before the repairs could be completed, we sent the 2.5 to the paint shop for a new shade of Super White II to distinguish it from its twin turbo'd brother. We also threw in a new set of ENKEI RP03 wheels in the same shade, which turned out quite nicely. Genesis' Land of Confusion ends here, now. Thanks to Ken, the tiny terror turned up 27 more ponies, 27 more twisties, 14 added Performance Points... like frequent flyer miles, only for cars.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 271 hp, Max. Torque: 280 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 441 PP

RoadCourse-TwinRingMotegi_1-1.jpg

After the repairs and safety checks had been completed, Ken and I both pulled the cars on the track to begin our initial testing. Being competitive men, neither of us could allow the other to enter the track first, which lead to an impromptu race out of the pits and onto the track. Rather than test each car individually, we decided to settle our score while "working."

Once the lights went out, both cars released a howl of rubber that surely must've been heard miles around. Being in the heavier of the two cars, it was plain to see within the first few feet that Ken would take the win in the lighter 2.5 Twin Turbo R. 2 years and 20 kg makes a giant difference, immediately noticeable in the different way these two cars accelerate.

Ken was first to cross in the 1990 2.5 Twin Turbo R, besting the quarter-mile in 0:14.877, and a 0-60 time of 0:06.334.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:35.994, 0-100 mph: 0:14.535, Max. G-Force: 0.60G, Top Speed: 168.3 mph

SpecialStageRouteX-10.jpg

Meanwhile, although I wasn't much farther behind, I was definitely lagging. Despite having 12k fewer miles, the heavier car shifted later, and seemed to have a touch more turbo lag than the younger Supra. I managed the quarter in 0:15.316, over have a second slower than Ken. 0-60 mph wasn't much better, elapsing in 0:06.722, almost a full two tenths slower than Ken.

Despite only being two years younger, the differences were like night and day. The 2.5 seemed more eager to leap off the line, albeit only .02 showed up on the skidpad. Yes, those times were only marginally faster than the 3.0's, but added up lap after lap over the course of a race, and those small differences suddenly become gaps of Grand Canyon proportions. It's as if I started losing the moment the green light went out and the race began.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:37.180, 0-100 mph: 0:16.033, Max. G-Force: 0.58G, Top Speed: 165.0 mph

Kyoto-Gion-4.jpg

The next day we met up with our crew at the famous Twin Ring Motegi circuit for a track day with these dueling samurai. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, instead preferring to relive the day's events in a failed attempt to choose between the two. Hopefully this track adventure will put some bias towards one over the other.

Ken wasn't about to be left out of the excitement, and I wasn't about to let him have all the fun either. Having witnessed our rapid departure from the pits the day before, our producer informed us that we were here to test cars, and not to compare the diameters of our respective testicles. Therefore, we'd each be given 5 laps in one car, before switching to the other car for 5 more laps. Also, to better ensure that there would be no competition amongst us, we'd be released onto the track only after the other had reached the halfway marker, ensuring we'd never actually see each other on track.

Lap after lap flew by in both cars, Ken and I switching between the two after each stint. While the 2.5 offered better acceleration, the 3.0 offered more confidence through the corners, albeit a bit slower and with more complaining from the tires. Once again, a credit to the 2.5's upgrades and evolution. When the tanks were dry, the 3.0 Turbo A produced a lap in 2:23.272, while the 2.5 Turbo R did it in 2:20.993. A difference of 2.279 seconds, or enough for Sebastian Vettel to secure a win.

Kyoto-Gion_1-1.jpg

Me and my beloved Supra.

"Good thing it's not wet."

Those were the famous last words I heard before spinning out and leaping over a curb, bending a wheel and bursting the tire. A good friend of mine, Daniel, had borrowed his girlfriends MkIII Turbo, and was taking me for a joyride in it before work one day. He muttered those words while exiting off of the interstate on a tricky off-ramp... in wet conditions, naturally. While his brief hubris damaged his wallet, it did give me the opportunity to demonstrate my impressive pit stop skills.

Less than two minutes later, the tire had been changed, and we were off. I know that doesn't sound impressive, but if you've ever worked with the factory jack and spare tire equipment, you know that their primary design is for space and not for function, and that changing a tire in anything short of an hour should be classified by the Catholic church as a minor miracle.

Despite the misadventure, I loved my time with that car. It didn't have massive lumps of power, but back then nothing did. The 1990 Mustang GT was listed on paper at 225 hp, but only produced less than 200 hp to the rear wheels, where the work is actually done. Emissions standards were finally being understood, but the market for capitalizing on that understanding was still 5 years away. Although the Mustang called itself a GT, it wasn't nearly as comfortable on long distance trips like the Supra. If you're going to call it a GT, it simply must live up to the name, or it isn't a GT.

That makes this car a steal. Examples are everywhere, and usually for little money, so there's no reason not to buy one. Nowadays, if you want serious horsepower, it'll cost you well over 40k, and with that amount of money you can buy this, modify or restore it, and then take your wife out for an exorbitant lunch in some ridiculous land, like Texas.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX
Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Week 18: 1967 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B
Week 19: 1967 Toyota 2000GT
Week 20: 2002 Audi S3
Week 21: 2004 Oullim Motors Spirra 4.6 V8

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications, to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. For ticket information, please include a S.A.S.E. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of DC Shoes. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All trademarks and copyrights used without permission, because this is a parody and an act of free speech. Reviews may contain natural and artificial flavoring. Please rinse after use. This product is not guaranteed to cure baldness or any other medical condition. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Photos shown with optional equipment. May cause drowsiness. Check your local listings for times and dates. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience. + us on Google+ N Stuff.

Last edited:
Oh how I have tried to tame this car. Great choice.
*heads to his ps3*

Wait, the standard '90 or the premium '88?

Last edited:
Herding wasps is easier than taming that Spirra...

I believe this was the first car (or a very similar one) I ever used on the day I bought GT1 and started a love affair with turismo which has taken more time from my life than I probably spent on my entire education! So a special car for me.

I hope I have this one, since I started playing I have been buying everything pre 1980's and I think I finally have all those. Since then I have been working on pre 1990's and of course race cars, Ferraris and Mustangs.. Hey, you have to cut me some slack, I have only had the game for about 4 months :)

MustangManiac
I hope I have this one, since I started playing I have been buying everything pre 1980's and I think I finally have all those. Since then I have been working on pre 1990's and of course race cars, Ferraris and Mustangs.. Hey, you have to cut me some slack, I have only had the game for about 4 months :)

You're in luck, because it's Premium, and may be purchased from the Toyota dealership at any time.

McClarenDesign
You're in luck, because it's Premium, and may be purchased from the Toyota dealership at any time.

Ahhh, so it is the '88 :D. The OP said '90 so this idiot was a little confused :dopey:

Not sure about the idiot part....
Anywho, bring on the review! I like to think I've tamed it, but can't wait to hear what others have done.

Can we change the OP then?

The 2.5 twin turbo '90 is standard, the premium in the dealership is the 3.0 turbo '88.

Haven't used either as far as I can remember. Might try both! At least the engine is on the right place this week- I know where I am with that:dopey:

Can we change the OP then?

The 2.5 twin turbo '90 is standard, the premium in the dealership is the 3.0 turbo '88.

Haven't used either as far as I can remember. Might try both! At least the engine is on the right place this week- I know where I am with that:dopey:

Just noticed that....

McClarenDesign
I'd be honored. Lets go with the Premium Mk II Supra. More fast, less furious!

Sorry about the confusion, but it should be the Premium model, the 3.0. I've got a PM in to the OP.

Useful how I have one of these in my garage already. I also saw the JZA80 (or MA70, they both look the same to me) I tend to see on my trips into London today in real life as well in white. Safe.

I always remember how the MA70 was the typical starter car in GT1, but this is the JZA80 so yeah.

I always remember how the MA70 was the typical starter car in GT1, but this is the JZA80 so yeah.

*cough*nerd*cough*

Actually, I chose this car because it's what I started 5 with.

Last edited:
useful how i have one of these in my garage already. I also saw the jza80 (or ma70, they both look the same to me) i tend to see on my trips into london today in real life as well in white. Safe.

I always remember how the ma70 was the typical starter car in gt1, but this is the jza80 so yeah.

JZA70 actually.

Neither was I sir,GT has taught me alot over the years.:D,If I recall,I started GT1 with a VTEC Prelude '91.

Color me stupid, but why is this located in the Q&A section instead of the general GT5 section?

Yay!, A premium model.

Another that was bought and never driven, and another to look forward to.

At first glance it looks promising, nice aggressive 80s styling, 3 litres, turbocharged and the chance for some photo travel locations.

As an avid reader of this thread, I usually just head into my collection of cars and drive whichever pick that was recommended as the COTW... but this week, I find out I didn't have one! :nervous: So off to the NCD I go, right after my appointment with the eye doctor. Wow, I can't get over how I didn't see this glaring hole in my collection. :odd:

Have a good one

Last edited:
dice1998
Color me stupid, but why is this located in the Q&A section instead of the general GT5 section?

Because racecar.

The answer you seek is in previous week's threads.

Sorry to take so long to alter the OP, to ease confusion, either Supra will do. It was all my fault for not getting McClarenDesign's choice right.

As to why this is in Q & A - This is essentially a thread that is for raising questions and answers about the car of that week. The idea is 'what do YOU think of this car?' which is a question, is it not? Think I might add something like this to the op.

As for the Supra (whichever it is), it was my first ever car in the first ever Gran Turismo, all those years ago. We go waaaaaayyy back...

Well this week just got busier for me. More pics up, review to follow in the next day or two. Have fun with this one, kids, she's a beauty!

It's okay, but along with your mad counting skills, it's just something else I can give you a hard time about.

That's it, I am firing the entire admin wing of T OMG! enterprises. I will not put up with this shoddy work anymore!

I shall be collecting CV's from their potential replacements for the rest of the week. I already have a few been waiting for any vacancies that arise. Let me see... Mr R Barrichello, Mr C Bangle, Mr S Motoyama...

Turismo.M.G!
I shall be collecting CV's from their potential replacements for the rest of the week. I already have a few been waiting for any vacancies that arise. Let me see... Mr R Barrichello, Mr C Bangle, Mr S Motoyama...

I hear J. Allmendinger might need a new job. Oh, and Rubens is working for the IRL, so he's out.

Back