**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 10/08/12**

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
Announcing the 27th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

Last week we reviewed the Pininfarina cars, but before that we singled out wolfdragon97 to make the call for Week 27. Her selection should put a smile on the faces of rally fans, although I must admit I was originally confused by her response.

McClarenDesign
Congratulations wolfdragon97, you've done an outstanding job with the Car(s) of the Week(s), and we'd be honored if you'd select next week's adventure. What shall it be?

wolfdragon97

And here it is: 1982 Audi Quattro

I've got my khakis, polo shirt, Oakleys, and my bluetooth...

Last edited:
-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

“Those who have come into Formula One without experiencing cars devoid of electronic aids will find it tough. To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise.” -Michael Schumacher

Week 27: 1982 Audi Quattro

Coming Soon!

GrandValleySpeedway_1.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife-3.jpg

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
The Audi Quattro was indeed the right car at the right time when it was introduced in 1980. The rally world had just gone to full-time 4WD (or all-wheel-drive), and nearly all the world's car makers were developing their own all-wheel-drive systems. Audi beat them to the punch. To be fair, the first all-wheel-drive car was a British Jensen FF, but because it was a niche vehicle with limited production, it wasn't as influential as the Audi.

What pushed Audi to develop all-wheel-drive was that it was experiencing difficulty transferring big power to only two wheels on its WRC race car. Therefore, the decision to go to all-wheel-drive from front-wheel-drive was made.

The first generation Quattro came with a turbocharged 2.1-liter inline-5 that produced 200 HP. With the gearbox included within the center differential, it couldn't yet allow for torque management between the front and rear, but it had overwhelming power transferred evenly between the four wheels. The AWD system made the Quattro larger and heavier than its rivals, but the extra traction and grip provided by the system more than compensated for the extra weight, and the Audi was a force to be reckoned with on the dirt or road. With the development of several new mechanisms, Audi reigned as the leader in all-wheel-drive technology, and the rest of the world followed suit.

Performance as Purchased: December 15, 2010, Helios Blue Metallic (Blue)
Displacement: 2,144 cc
Max. Power: 193 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 206 ft-lbs. @ 3,500 rpm
Drivetrain: 4WD
Length: 4,404 mm Height: 1,344 mm Weight: 1290 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 395
Mileage: 0.0 mi

GrandValleySpeedway.jpg

ToscanaTarmac-2.jpg
Toscana.jpg

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX
Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Week 18: 1967 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B
Week 19: 1967 Toyota 2000GT
Week 20: 2002 Audi S3
Week 21: 2004 Oullim Motors Spirra 4.6 V8
Week 22: 1988 Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A and 1990 Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R
Week 23: 1998 Mini Cooper 1.3i
Week 24: 1964 Ginetta G4
Week 25: The TVR Cars
Week 26: The Pininfarina Cars

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications, to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. For ticket information, please include a S.A.S.E. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Aeropostale. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All trademarks and copyrights used without permission, because this is a parody and an act of free speech. Reviews may contain natural and artificial flavoring. Please rinse after use. This product is not guaranteed to cure baldness or any other medical condition. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Photos shown with optional equipment. If you've made it this far, it's too late to stop now. May cause drowsiness. Check your local listings for times and dates. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience. Underage sale prohibited. Certain state laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties or the exclusion or limitation of certain damages. By blinking, you agree to all terms and conditions contained within. + us on Google+ N Stuff! McClarenDesign is not an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Ed. Note-
Best wishes and a Godspeed recovery to: Maria De Villota and TurismoM.G!.

Last edited:
Last week we reviewed the Pininfarina cars, but before that we singled out wolfdragon97 to make the call for Week 27. His Her selection should put a smile on the faces of rally fans, although I must admit I was originally confused by his her response.

:P

I noticed a lot of people hated the quattro, especially on YouTube. Someone recieved one as a birthday gift, and they made a video about it titled 'Worst Birthday Gift Ever'. I'd much more rather have an Audi quattro as a birthday present than what GT5 gave me... a bright yellow Mazda MX-5.

I'm hoping that this week I can change a few people's opinions on the quattro!

Oh, and for those who don't know, the quattro is supposed to be spelt with a lower case 'q'. It's not PD or myself having grammar issues. :sly:

[QUOTE="wolfdragon97]
Oh, and for those who don't know, the quattro is supposed to be spelt with a lower case 'q'. It's not PD or myself having grammar issues. :sly:[/QUOTE]

Proper noun, it gets capitalized. I'll send the grammar nazis to Audi and...

...what's that? How is this a bad idea?
Lol

I noticed a lot of people hated the quattro, especially on YouTube. Someone recieved one as a birthday gift, and they made a video about it titled 'Worst Birthday Gift Ever'.

Grab the torches and the pitchforks, let us show these blasphemers no mercy! :mad: :lol:

Actually, this particular car is spelled with an upper case q, i.e. "Quattro." Every other usage of the word by Audi, including their performance arm, quattro GmbH, is spelled with a lower case q in deference to this first iconic model.

Actually, this particular car is spelled with an upper case q, i.e. "Quattro." Every other usage of the word by Audi, including their performance arm, quattro GmbH, is spelled with a lower case q in deference to this first iconic model.

Ah. I never knew that. PD lied to meh!

Well, that's hardly surprising, is it? :sly:

Whilst we're waiting for the reviews and a history lesson from myself, here's another clip from Ashes To Ashes, this time featuring the Hamster in aid of Children In Need.

I noticed a lot of people hated the quattro, especially on YouTube. Someone recieved one as a birthday gift, and they made a video about it titled 'Worst Birthday Gift Ever'.
Lolwut? Are you messing with me or does that video actually exist? I love Audis, (All German cars actually) and I have no idea why anyone would hate on the Quattro.

~Turtle
turtle.gif

GTTurtle
Lolwut? Are you messing with me or does that video actually exist? I love Audis, (All German cars actually) and I have no idea why anyone would hate on the Quattro.

~Turtle

He's an idiot.

Last edited:
*picture*

*picture*

I'm so confused.

Labour originally made the 'Don't let him take Britain back to the 80s' during the 2010 elections, because Ashes To Ashes is set in the 80s, and in the 80s Margaret Thatcher, who was a Conservative, basically ruined the whole country. She killed the mining industry, the steel industry, and basically brought Britain to it's knees.

Ironically, David Cameron has taken us back to the 80s.

Labour originally made the 'Don't let him take Britain back to the 80s' during the 2010 elections, because Ashes To Ashes is set in the 80s, and in the 80s Margaret Thatcher, who was a Conservative, basically ruined the whole country. She killed the mining industry, the steel industry, and basically brought Britain to it's knees.

Ironically, David Cameron has taken us back to the 80s.

I know, I was doing my usual weekly research when I came across those two. To any political newcomer, the mixed messages of any party can be difficult to understand and make an informed decision.

In this case, it was just blatant silliness.

EigerNordwandGTrail.jpg

It's move in week at the uni where I work, very busy time for us! Hope to contribute more, but it may not be until the weekend.
Funny you should pick this car at this time, I already had her loaded up from the last time trial (#41 Eiger G Trail rev), I made gold, barely with a run of 2:31.380. I am not much of a rally driver, but do find it fun now and then for a diversion.

Told you I wasn't much of a rally driver :)
EigerNordwandGTrail_1.jpg

1982 Audi Quattro

or is it quattro?

AudiQuattro_White_EigerK_1.jpg

Of course four wheel drive has been around almost as long the as the car itself, and by 1970s was mainly found in utility vehicles expected to be leaving the paved road, Subarus and some other novelty items like the the Ferguson Jenson Interceptor. When some astute German rally technicians noticed that that an underpowered army vehicle outperformed their rally car, they literally put 2 and 2 together.

The result ended up in the Audi Quattro of course, and like the Mini and the Stratos before it set the Rally world alight, and the road car begat the 4WD performance market. I have three in my GT5 garage one Diamond Silver Metallic, and two in (Ashes to Ashes style) Mars Red . Stock, after rebuilds the we get 208 BHP, 1290 KG and 405pp.

At Trial Mountain on the Comfort Softs, its strengths are immediately apparent. I oversteer into the first corner - I was of course expecting the 4WD understeer to rear its ugly head. Not a bit of it: turn in is excellent. And neither am I obviously driving on Comfort Softs, such is the level of grip.

grip grip grip
AudiQuattro_Silver_TrialMountain_1.jpg

The car doesn't have massive amounts of power, but it is quick enough and really we are in modern hot hatch territory. As usual road gearbox hinders progress slightly on the track but lag isn't an issue if you keep the revs up. After a few laps I (mostly) resist the temptation to keep throwing the car into corners and letting it drift its way out and go for a time: 1:51.157.

Inevitably, I head off to Eiger K (in a Mars Red this time). The stock car is excellent, control and grip are superb and I have fun to come in at 4.48.769

still gripping
AudiQuattro_Red_EigerK_1.jpg

Fun, but this car will take more power. The other Red gets a rebuild, respray and some wheels, Stage 2 weight loss and stage 2 engine tune, along with all the racing mods. To give 383 BHP, 1125 Kg and 497pp.

power and grip
AudiQuattro_White_TrialMountain_2.jpg

As usual it is given a 'guestimate' setup and auto gearbox tweak, and back to TM but this time on Sports Hard tyres. Now we rapidly dash downhill and swing through left hander of the infamous switchback. The first feeling is one of relief: I haven't destroyed the handling of the car, in fact it is still great fun: not at all overpowered, and the grip is still amazing. Chuffed with my skillz I blast around TM. Until...

no grip
AudiQuattro_White-crash_TrialMountain_4.jpg

Okay I did understeer this time, but it was due to excess speed:dunce: Best time around the Mountain in the tuned beast on SH: 1:40.675.

Back at Eiger, I jacked up the suspension and softened a bit, this is like a proper rally car: Eiger 'K' time 4:28.011.

rally style
AudiQuattro_White_EigerK_9.jpg

With my tuner, I also tackled the Chamonix Drift Trial (hard going and even with 90% torque to the rear wheels I only just managed to get a gold score) and the 500pp Time Trial at Daytona Road Course.

can't help mucking around
AudiQuattro_White_DaytonaRoad_4.jpg

A paradigm shift in the real world, great fun in GT5 - The Audi Quattro is a real winner for me. It's shame we don't have any of the rally monsters to play with, Walter Rorhl style. Still, how can you not love this car.

Now, fire up the...bleurgh... *cough*...*cough*...*wheeze*...never mind
AudiQuattro_White_DaytonaRoad_6.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the chance to put together my history lesson today lol. It's a bit late, but I hope you enjoy!

Audi Quattro

96_audi-quattro-1988.jpg

'Win on Sunday and sell on Monday' is a phrase often used to justify a highly expensive motorsport programme. The belief is that a car or brand that is successful on the track will create a halo effect that will benefit all the models in the same company's showrooms, thereby increasing sales. Another justification is given for motorsport is that the technological lessons learnt in designing track cars benefit and speed up the development of the models that ordinary people can buy.

There's some truth in both arguements, and both are especially true of the Audi Quattro, which was developed to take advantage of new regulations in world rallying that would allow four-wheel drive for the first time in 1980.

audi-quattro-12-05-09.jpg

The development brief was handed to Ferdinand Piech (the great-nephew of Ferdinand Porsche), who moved to Audi after designing the legendary Porsche 917 racing car. Piech's genius was shown in his creation of a world-beating car at relatively low cost using components that already existed within the Audi range. The starting point was the Audi 80 Coupé, which provided some of the bodywork, interior, and the front suspension, while the Audi 200 5T saloon shared it's 2144cc five-cynlider turbocharged engine, which produced 200bhp at 5500rpm. Piech brought these parts together and created an elegant coupé that attracted much interest at the 1980 Geneva Motor Show.

That interest was directed underneath the car. The four-wheel-drive system was again lifted from the existing Volkswagen company parts bin, in this case from an off-road vehicle, called the Iltis, that VW had built for the German army. The system was a permanent four-wheel-drive arrangement, under which, depending on the conditions, either the front and rear differentials, or the rear differential alone, could be locked.

95_audi-quattro-1984.jpg

The new car was a revelation in the 1980 World Rally Championship, winning races in its first season, and attracted even more attention when Michéle Mouton nearly became the first female ever to win a World Rally Championship, coming a very close second overall behind Walter Röhrl. If it wasn't for mechanical issues on the last stage, she would have won. With a little development it did even better: Audi won the World Rally Contructors' Championship in 1982 and 1984, while the Quattro took Hannu Mikkola and Stig Blomqvist to the World Rally Championships' title in 1983 and 1984 respectively.

On the road, the Quattro made an equally impressive statement. On paper, its performance wasn't in the supercar league - it accelerated from 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and had a top speed of 137mph/220kmh - but it had so much traction, paticularly in poor weather conditions, that it could be hustled along swiftly and safely even by less experienced drivers.

audi_sport_quattro_16_03_07.jpg

The Quattro remained in production until 1991, by which time 11452 examples had been built. Over those 11 years, the body remained largely unchanged, though the engine was boosted to 2200cc in 1987, increasing power to 220bhp and top speed to 143mph/230kmh. At the same time, the manual center differential was changed to an automatic Torsen unit. On the rally stages, the Quattro clocked up 21 WRC wins and then proceded to dominate other events, including the Pike's Peak International Hill Climb in 1986 and 1987.

The ultimate incarnation was the Sport Quattro, developed on a shorter wheelbase for Group B rallying in 1984. Just a handful of these carbon-Kevlar-bodied rockets were offered as road cars, producing 306bhp and offering 0-60 in 5 seconds and a top speed of 150mph/241kmh.

audi_sport_quattro_s1_roc_1988_salo.jpg

So successful was the original Quattro that every four-wheel-drive Audi since has been dubbed 'quattro' (the word, of course, means 'four' in Italian). As to Ferdinand Piech, the Quattro's development chief, he went on to become the chief executive of the whole Volkswagen Group, which he expanded by buying Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti.

98_audi-coupe-quattro-1984.jpg

Belatedly then, here's some pics of the quattro.

Toscana tarmac

Spot of rallying... this and the Toscana dirt track were definitely the best places to try this car.

Managed 2:08.978 round the Toscana track, which was beaten by this weeks COTW!

Cheers

Back