**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 11/05/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 14th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

Now this last week we had two fantastic new reviewers adding their beautifully constructed articles to the now growing list of talented reviewers that are part of the Car of the Week furniture and I could barely choose who to award the dubious ‘honor ‘ of picking this weeks car. Well unfortunately for wolfdragon97, they were not online at the time I was trying to make up my mind, whereas fortunately (really?) for Woodski_427, they were. It was close, but keep up the good work and your time will come.

And the car that is to hold our attention this week?

Z28_01.jpg

YES! Its the 69 Chevrolet Camaro Z28!

A very photogenic car with RM available, this should be fun. Bring out the muscle!

Having grown up in a '68, this will be like walking down memory lane. My uncle had one when I was a kid. A convertible. When I was 18, he was sent to DUI detox for 6 months, and I inherited the car, atleast while he was gone. And yes, I'm well aware the Z28 was offered in 69, I'm not an idiot.

Challenge Accepted.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza.jpg

Oddly enough, the wheel wells are wrong on the RM. Should be squared. Could just be the angle of the photos.

http://bringatrailer.com/thats-an-older-listing-its-no-longer-available/#r=true&year=1969&car=Chevrolet%20Camaro

Last edited:
Love this car! I have 4 of them. They are awesome to use in one make racing (you get to see all the colours), especially the ring. Toscana reverse is hysterical, watching the AI roll the car over the jump.

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"Winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1959 was probably the highlight of my career as a driver." -Carroll Shelby

Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS

Listen. I know I've got a review to do this week, and no doubt millions of viewers are dying to know what I think about this week's choice. You'll want me to prattle on about the "insert adjective here" styling, our producer will hire yet another useless driver... who'll somehow fail, and then expect me to do all the clean up.

You no doubt want to know useless facts about this week's car, it's feel at the absolute edge, and whatever nonsense Translator-san has. I really wish I could indulge your fantasies, but I'm afraid I've got a horrible case of malaria, and have been quarantined by a team of doctors until I can recover.

So, instead, I've put together a wonderful collection of facts about modern sequential shift gearboxes, followed by some girls in bikinis rattling on about something to do with limited slip differentials. When I return, I promise a full, accurate report that you've come to expect.
Producer
Looks like its the '69 Camaro Z28. Didn't your uncle have..
I'm on my way.

Kyoto-Shoren-in-1.jpg

This is the part of our review where I chatter on about "how qualified I am" to review this week's car. Well, my dear viewers, this week the joke's on you. You might say I'm as intimately familiar with this car as Nicole Kidman is to Tom Cruise. Like Kim Kardashian is to herself. Like Ben Affleck, Dennis Rodman, Mark Antony, and the '86 Mets are with Jennifer Lopez.

The fact of the matter is the first 18 years of my life were spent in a Camaro, albeit a '68. My uncle owned two, actually, the first being fatally destroyed during one of many drunken escapades. When I was a child, I love going everywhere in the backseat, especially with the top down. When I grew up, I was promoted to shotgun, watching ridiculous antics only equalled by the ridiculous speed.

That man, and the cars I grew up with, inspired the love affair I have today. To give you a sense of the silliness, the man actually performed a magic trick while driving... with his feet... whilst sitting on top of the headrest... staring straight at me... around a large body of water. You simply have to see it to believe it, but I honestly don't recommend the view I had. I can only imagine the look of terror on my face.

RoadCourse-Indy.jpg

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
The sole purpose Chevrolet decided to produce the Camaro was to beat the Ford Mustang at the dealerships, and to dominate the SCCA Trans Am championships, a racing series that Chevrolet had competed in since 1967.

in the days when "win on Sunday, sell on Monday," was the norm, Chevrolet put a grand effort into racing, most notably the Trans Am Series, and the creation of the Camaro gave them an excellent foundation to build a race car. The Camaro Z28 was the result of Chevrolet to meet homologation requirements for the Trans Am Series.

Thus, the Z28 was a potent production car, one powered by 320 cu. in. (4949 cc) ohv V-8 that spit out 290 HP. the engine naturally could be tuned to produce much more. Because SCCA rules stated that no changes could be made to the cylinder block and heads, the engines were equipped with racing-tuned parts from the very start.

Also, the racing car bodies were forced to conform to street specs, so the 1969 road car was equipped with a lighter fiberglass bumper and cowl induction that led fresh air into the carburetor.

The Z28 also featured four-wheel disc brakes taken from the Corvette. This option, at over $600, was incredibly expensive at the time. The Z28 marked the epitome of the Camaro brand, and the original 1967 Z28 is now considered a classic, sought by muscle car collectors all over the world.

The Mustang. Arch rival and chief nemesis to the Camaro. Both have fought for America's youth for decades, and every time a conversation involves a Camaro, the word eventually gets brought up. Which is then usually followed by a bloodbath. Then the authorities.

The Mustang created the "Pony car" market, and both the Camaro and Firebird were GM's answer. Yes, the Camaro swamped the Mustang in sales, but by that point the Camaro was already one million units short of the Mustang for its production/sales lifetime. Over the years, Mustangs remained competitive, relatively economical, and easy to operate. The years have not been as kind to the Camaro, which has since become puny, lousy to get in and out of, and most recently given the nose of Michael Jackson.

Lucky for us, we've been blessed with the 1969 Camaro, the last sacred and holy year of the Camaros. This car is the last one General Motors got right. It's got a gigantic engine, leather interior, classic gauges, a manual transmission, and plenty of room in the back for sex with your girlfriend. And your mate's girlfriend, which you'll have no problem nabbing, because he drives something called a Pacer.

At the garage, our interns have picked out three flavors of Camaro to choose from. There's the Z28, of course, but also the SS and Z28 RM as well. Despite the ill will, General Motors sent us a crew of technicians to look over our classic muscle, and fit them sensors recovered from NASA's shuttle program. If there was data to be had, these men would nab it, and then dissect it and analyse it within an inch of its life, which is probably why they've been so good at Le Mans.

If only we could get a Le Mans driver. Instead our producer has delivered a rather poor replica of Larry the Cable Guy. If the Cable Guy had a mullet, that is. Apparently Jerry, our resident redneck, tinkers on classic muscle cars at his local drag strip, which I'm assured the term "drag strip" has nothing to do with transvestites. From the length of Jerry's hair, I'm not entirely convinced.

Miscellaneous_1.jpg

Jerry- Redneck.

Performance as Purchased: April 26, 2011, Garnet Red (Red)
Displacement: 4,949 cc
Max. Power: 281 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 281 ft-lbs. @ 4,000 rpm
Drivetrain: RWD
Length: 4,720 mm Height: 1,311 mm Weight: 1415 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 446
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

Very nice, but let us not forget that we're also testing two other cars. No review would be complete without a direct comparison to others of the same lineage. Luckily we don't have a Firebird, so we can leave that can of worms closed for the time being. Suffice it to say it's exactly like the Camaro, only with a Flaming Chicken on the hood.

The SS was a step above the base model RS, and just below the top-of-the-line Z28. Take it away, Translator-san...

SpecialStageRouteX_1-3.jpg

Translator-san
Introduced in the fall of 1966 as a new model for '67, the Chevrolet Camaro was seen as a rising star for a company rocked by the success of the Ford Mustang. The idea of combining readily available over-the-shelf parts with specially designed 2-door hardtop and convertible bodies came about directly from their targeting of the Mustang.

the most basic engine of the first-generation Camaro was a hopeless 230 cu. in. OHC inline-6 with 138 HP. However, just as the buyer could freely choose the attributes of their Mustang, the Camaro's wide array of options allowed it to be outfitted as anything from simple transport to a gorgeous fully decked out Super Sport. The high-performance SS package (which was given the option code Z27) was Chevrolet's answer to the Mustang GT.

The Camaro was available with a standard choice between two OHV V-8 engines: a 291 HP 350 known as the L48, and the more powerful 396ci L35 which squeezed out 321 HP.

There were also two other 396ci SS motors besides the L35. These were the 345 HP L34, and the 370 HP L78. Then, from the 1968 model onward, the lineup changed to include the L89, a variant of the L78 with a lighter aluminum cylinder head. Only 583 Camaros equipped with the L78/L89 were built in 1968 and 1969, making them among the rarest of the Camaro SS models.

In the first-generation Camaros, there was a thorough minor change revision that updated the body exterior and interior in the 1969 model. Also from '69 onwards, the standard SS engine would see its power increased to over 296 HP.

The first thing I learned about cars was how to visually spot the difference between the 60's Camaros. The '67 was the only year with a wing window, and the '69 had squared wheel arches. Simple, but that little tidbit of knowledge planted the seed, which would become a forest. For instance, the very first Hot Wheel toy car was introduced in 1968.

A Camaro.

Performance as Purchased: February 28, 2011, Hugger Orange (Orange)
Displacement: 5,737 cc
Max. Power: 280 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 356 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 rpm
Length: 4,720 mm Height: 1,295 mm Weight: 1401 kg
Performance Points: 441
Mileage: 37,721.8 mi.

So, a larger engine with 75 more ft-lb. of torque, 16 mm lower, 14 kg lighter, and still 6 Performance Points shy of the Z28. It's no wonder they were produced in such low numbers. Who can tell the difference... well, I suppose we will... in a moment. But first we must introduce our final car, the Z28 Race Modification, and for that I turn to Translator-san once again.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza.jpg

Translator-san
This is an original tuned model created by "Gran Turismo", based on the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro.

Thank you Translator-san.

Performance as Purchased: December 16, 2010, White (White)
Displacement: 4,949 cc
Max. Power: 322 hp @ 6,300 rpm
Max. Torque: 307 ft-lbs. @ 4,300 rpm
Length: CLASSIFIED Height: CLASSIFIED Weight: 1085 kg
Performance Points: 514
Mileage: 108.5 mi.

Compared with the base model Z28, the RM gives us an extra 41 hp, 26 additional ft-lbs. of torque, plus 330 kilos at Jenny Craig. Against the SS, the RM is still down 49 ft-lbs., which is a bit troubling considering the money we could've saved on the RM and spent on the SS. Too late now.

AhrweilerStreet-1.jpg

While Mr. Goodwrench when to work on our Detroit iron, Jerry and I pounded back a few beers. By the end of the first six pack, the crewmen for the Yellow Submarine had unearthed 14 horses, 14 torques, and only 7 extra Performance Points from the Z28s virgin innards. For good measure, we threw in a car wash, and kissed 300 Cr. goodbye.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 295 hp, Max. Torque: 295 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 453

With the SS and six more beers later, I was spending more time in the bathroom, and Jerry was just getting warmed up. Meanwhile, the mechanics found 30 hp, 38 ft-lbs., and 14 Performance Points, which I still have no idea what those actually do. After 12 beers, I couldn't care less... or stand. And where did I put that 18,000 Cr.?
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 310 hp, Max. Torque: 394 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 455

With 18 beers in me, I was reduced to a drooling pile of flesh, while Jerry seemed to become more alive, talkative and annoying with each passing minute. He was also annoying the crew, whom gave their findings before storming out after one of Jerry's drunken rants.

Something about "Government Motors". All I cared about was the 0 Cr. bill, and no additional performance to be found.

SpecialStageRouteX-4.jpg

After the Banana Boys had packed up and left, our producer had the wonderful notion of asking our drunken redneck to perform some test laps. Despite my slurred objections, Jerry leapt into the Z28, and assured me that going in a straight line was what he did best.

At least that's what I think he said. Everything around that point is still a little bit fuzzy, but thankfully the hangover is finally gone.

In the Z28, Jerry floored the Camaro through a few showy burnouts before pulling up to the line. Apparently burnouts are The South's number one export.. well, that and more inbred hillbillies. With 281 hp at his disposal, Jerry blasted through the quarter-mile traps in only 0:14.562, and hit 60 mph in just 0:06.112 seconds!
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:36.545, 0-100 mph: 0:13.784, Max. G-Force: 0.68G, Top Speed: 129.0 mph

Out of the Z, and into the SS, Jerry once again drove the car into the staging area. Just before takeoff, he managed to smuggle in yet another beer, tossing the empty can out of the window halfway down the track. Despite the excess drag from the window, and his caveman knuckles, he bested the quarter-mile in 0:13.870, and sped to 60 mph in 0:05.297, 0.692 faster in the quarter-mile, and 0.815 quicker to 60 mph, despite being a "lesser model". Also of note was the lower top speed, attributable to the transmission gearing.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:37.650, 0-100 mph: 0:12.286, Max. G-Force: 0.67G, Top Speed: 115.4 mph

Finally, with two cars and as many extra beers down, our tipsy Jerry climbed aboard the RM, strapping himself into the racing seat. After fiddling with the many switches, he eventually got the car started, and set about on his lap. Despite some negligible swerving, Jerry managed 0:13.024 in the quarter, and 0:04.695 to 60 mph, besting both previous Camaros as expected. However, the transmission gearing again proved to be the equalizer, once again limiting our top speed.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:34.606, 0-100 mph: 0:10.098, Max. G-Force: 0.75G, Top Speed: 126.9 mph

Kyoto-Gion_1.jpg

With testing out of the way, and my stomach clear of all the vile alcohol before, Jerry offered to have his wife bring over his personal Camaro, which he had promised would be "bitchin". Only an hour had passed, before a rather heavy set lady arrived in driving an equally heavy set truck, towing a trailer with a covered car. In between the belches, he pulled away the tarp to reveal the beauty beneath.

Under the tarp was Mark Donohue's 1969 championship winning Penske Camaro. Jerry tells us he's kept the car with the same settings it had when it participated in it's last race, and that he's only recently finished the full body restoration. Apparently the car will technically pass the SCCA technical inspections of the time, but through the course of restoration, Jerry has uncovered at least 23 individual rules violations.

Jerry
If you'en ain't cheatin', you'en ain't tryin'!

Quite.

Looking over the spec sheet, we're promised 548 historical horsepower, 533 technically-true torques, racing slicks, and 596 Performance Points. Jerry's wife says the Performance Points "is what gives it the fastness it need". Her words, not mine. Like a proud father talking to a future son-in-law, Jerry walks me around the car, pointing out details most don't get the chance to see. Like the father of the bride, Jerry's ready to give her away, if only for but a few short laps.

As I'm walking around toward the drivers side to get into the car, the engine turns over and begins is monstrous roar. Shaken, I jump back to notice a cat in the driver's seat, staring at me like I'm the idiot. Just as fast, the priceless Penske disappears in a flash of sound and smoke. Moments later, the clocks flash 0:11.123 for the quarter, and 0:03.492 to 60 mph.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:27.291, 0-100 mph: 0:06.548, Max. G-Force: 1.00 (RH), Top Speed: 199.2 mph

SCCA legal, my (expletive)! When the car got back to the pits, it was clear that the drunken redneck was not pleased at all.

Kyoto-Gion-3.jpg

The reason I love this car is also the reason why I can't stand General Motors. GM got so many things right with this car. Originally nicknamed "Panther", it had a super-cool callsign typically reserved for fighter pilots. When it was introduced to the motoring press, it was via the world's first ever telecommunications conference, so that puts it directly on the leading edge of technology. Spec the right model, and you could end up with nearly enough horsepower to reverse the Earth's rotation.

Then, in 1970, everything started going downhill. Cocaine became popular, which pretty much explains the styling from the 1970's through the 80's. Then it was heroin in the 90's, which gave us the fiberglass wedge that's better used as a doorstop, or if you're in the South, as a replacement for your lost garden gnome.

The Camaro of today almost gets it right, if you only see the profile and have the eagle-eyed vision of George Burns. But then you get to the front and rear of the car, and see how GM gave in to the accountants. Rather than slap on a classically tasteful front end like the 60's, they've instead chosen to make it look like something from Europe. I'd expect this from Citroen, but you Chevy? Honestly, this car is the automotive equivalent of an abortion.

I'm glad we got the chance to spend some time with a classic Camaro, but each time I sit in a classic Camaro I'm reminded of what a terrible waste the rest of the company has become. The only reason there is a new Camaro is, once again, to keep up with Ford and the Mustang. Even with the upcoming ZL1, it still won't be able to, thanks to the new 200 mph Cobra.

In fact, why bother with any of that nonsense, when you can just order one from a catalog?

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Wrangler. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. May cause drowsiness. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Ed. Note- R.I.P. Carroll Shelby (1/11/23 - 5/10/12)

Last edited:
Yay, a premium car this week 👍

An excellent choice as we haven't had a US muscle car before and this also has the bonus of the race mod option as well.

I already had a standard and a RM car in my garage and after an oil change (even though it had 0 miles on the clock) it was off to Laguna Seca with the basic car.

With 295bhp it does have some power, but the huge weight means it's sluggish and doesn't slow down very quickly. Tyres were Sports Hard.

Still, I posted a 1:45.307 lap.

The RM version next with 348bhp and 1085kg and it's much better, with better acceleration and lots more grip from the Racing Hard tyres. Lap time was 1:33.602. One of the best things about this car is the sound, deserves to be turned up loud.

This lovely colour is GT Metallic 009-W but I wanted to try another colour but didn't want to lose the GT colour so I bought another one and painted it Chevrolet LeMans Blue and the wheels white.

But first it was off to the Ring with both normal and racing models and lap times posted of 8:42.468 and 7:55.886 respectively.

Fat tyres!

A picture heavy post this week with the chance for some premium photo locations.

Bokeh Jenkiiiins!

Warm filter applied on this one.

Cheers

Love all the pics posted.. This is by far one of my favs. Car handles great for being classic american muscle. Seems Like every paint scheme goes well with this car, there just is no wrong choice.

Seems to be a pretty good reception:tup:. I'm glad because I was surprised to get the offer and was feeling the pressure after last weeks beauty!

I picked it a: to keep variety as I noticed there had been no muscle so far, and b: I got the RM ages ago and loved it but haven't used it recently. So a good excuse to give it some runs and compare against the stock.

I think I'll take the RM model, tune it to 650pp, and kick some modern racecars buts in the seasonals :dopey: I'll report back later in the week 👍

I think it would be really nice if that for the next COTW we could do a mass review of the Shelby cars that appear in GT5, in honor of the late, great Carroll Shelby who has sadly passed. Its just an idea, and I don't mean to rock the boat as I think the way COTW works is just great. I thought it would be nice to do something for the legend. Sort of like a memorial edition of COTW.

Last edited:
jedisteampunk
I think it would be really nice if that for the next COTW we cloud do a mass review of the Shelby cars that appear in GT5, in honor of the late, great Carroll Shelby who has sadly passed. Its just an idea, and I don't mean to rock the boat as I think the way COTW works is just great. I thought it would be nice to do something for the legend. Sort of like a memorial edition of COTW.

Didn't know that. I know I'm a noob here, but it sounds like a good idea to me.👍

Kyoto-Gion_1.jpg

I did the same color combo to my car as well since it reminded me so much of the penske sunoco camaro. If only it looked more like the '69 instead of the '67-'68. What color blue did you use? I used the dark version of French Blue.

mattybb47
I did the same color combo to my car as well since it reminded me so much of the penske sunoco camaro. If only it looked more like the '69 instead of the '67-'68. What color blue did you use? I used the dark version of French Blue.

Dark Le Mans blue on the car, Daytona yellow on the wheels.

jedisteampunk
I think it would be really nice if that for the next COTW we cloud do a mass review of the Shelby cars that appear in GT5, in honor of the late, great Carroll Shelby who has sadly passed. Its just an idea, and I don't mean to rock the boat as I think the way COTW works is just great. I thought it would be nice to do something for the legend. Sort of like a memorial edition of COTW.

MGTurismo should do this, and give this week's winner the choice for week 16.

+1

I remember the first time I got a Z28 - it was an early Christmas present from a friend in December 2010. He gave me the RM version too, in Tuxedo Black. Still got it today. :P

I think it would be really nice if that for the next COTW we could do a mass review of the Shelby cars that appear in GT5, in honor of the late, great Carroll Shelby who has sadly passed. Its just an idea, and I don't mean to rock the boat as I think the way COTW works is just great. I thought it would be nice to do something for the legend. Sort of like a memorial edition of COTW.

I really like this idea. As much as I don't like people knowing before time what the next car is going to be, I agree we should honor the man behind some of the greats in GT5.

Dynamic Tension: '69 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 and RM.

Time to pony up for Chevy's appealing Mustang rival.

Camaro69-blu_ToscanaTarmac_1.jpg

I'd used the RM quite a lot a while ago (more of that later), but hadn't had a go in the stock car. The Americans describe this kind of car as 'compact', being smaller than some of monsters they've produced over the years. To us Europeans, at least, it's still a pretty big car with an enormous engine. So I bought a new one in Garish Gold from the dealership, changed the oil, and hit Cape Ring North expecting a typical muscle car experience.

Camaro69-gld_CapeNorth_1.jpg

After cautiously rounding the first corner and hitting the gas for the start/finish line, I got no wheelspin and a decent in speed through gears: a persistant wave of torque propels you from the mid range up to the red line, which seemed most effective in third gear.

A couple of laps in and I was quite surprised by the handling as the muscle traits are there but in a milder fom. Understeer into the corner is far from catastrophic and you can actually take corners at some speed with little body roll and then power out without the usual drama. The gearing was fine for this track, but on longer straights and if you want to use it for anything other than stock races, you'll want a custom 'box as it tops out at 129-130 mph.

As with last week I suspected that the default tyres were too grippy (common PD theme?), so took it down to comfort medium. This seemed more like the experience I would expect for almost 300BHP: more delicate throttle control required, looser in the corners, much more interesting and challenging. Maybe McLarenDesign could shed some light in this department?

I kept forgetting that on the North variant of Cape Ring, the hairpin looms real quick after the jump/downhill section and stuck it into the wall in a total lock-up (no ABS).

Camaro69-gld_CapeNorth_2.jpg

For some reason the Butternut paint in the dealership had me envisaging a sad old Camaro with big spoilers and jacked up backend, rust patches on the arches and ripped roof lining. You know where I'm going: mullet, moustache, denim shirt with ripped off sleeves... so at the body shop Gold became Butternut. I took it on a photoshoot on Route X, and it grew on me - I think the colour looks great:

Camaro69-bn-RouteX_3.jpg

SpecialStageRouteX_5.jpg

Camaro69-bn-RouteX_2.jpg

Actually, as others have said: this car is really photogenic and any colour seems to look good.

After getting carried away taking photos, I took out the RM conversions. The LeMans Blue only has oil change (322BHP) and Weighing in at only 1085Kg this car is such a great drive, handles really well, loads of grip. This is a race car and feels like it can take alot of power. Cue Hugger Orange - this is my older one with 402BHP and 547PP. I did some tooling around on SH tyres in these cars as the GT5 race tyres have far more grip than the period tyres. Such good fun, this car makes me wish I had a wheel with clutch and H-shifter!

Camaro69_RMs_CapeNorth_3.jpg

I'm not going to lie, this is where it's at for me - I think this is one of the best looking cars in the game. You would never call it pretty, it just looks, well, cool - like it means business. Super wide wheels, and flared arches, fat pipes spitting out of the side, and it's got one of the most convincing sounds in the game.

Camaro69_RM-bl_CapeNorth_1.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by the good handling of the stock '69 Z28 Camaro, and the RM is, for me just great. Although a little short on power to begin with there is loads of potential in that V8.

*imagines driving off into the desert*

ToscanaTarmac.jpg

I'm not sure what the friction coefficient for poly/glass tires is, but I do know there's a thread that has the info somewhere. I'm not even sure if it came stock with poly/glass tires.

For modern tires, SH felt right to me. The car has a very friendly contact patch.

As you can probably tell by my nick, I am kind of a Ford guy, that and Mopar at least concerning the muscle cars. Back in the day when I drove a 68 Shelby, 70 Challenger and a 71 Torino SS this car was the enemy. I could go on and on about those times and even though I would think that the statute of limitations would apply, the advice from my attourney is to keep quiet about such past shananigans. I had just picked one of these up this past weekend and now had to go get another, one to keep stock and one to RM of course. After an oil change and some maintenance the stock one came out as 295hp/453pp, the RM at 322hp/514pp. Out at the test track they posted the following numbers:
1/4mi.......14.576 / 12.983
1.0mi.......36.535 / 34.559
0-60........06.136 / 04.669
0-100.......13.666 / 09.984
max.spd.....128.70 / 129.40
max.G.........0.68 / 0.75
Out at Deep Forest for a best of ten laps the stock Z posted 1:30.330 while the RM version hit 1:26.410, third best of any cars I have run there. I found the stock Z28 to be about what one would expect, she plowed through corners, the brakes were terrible and the tranny certainly not suited for racing. While the Z28 RM handled the track much better, she didn't plow as much and when she did it was easy enough to kick the rear end out to catch
up with the front, the tranny was still a bit tight for me and the brakes still sucked. But then, these cars were made to go, not to stop, right? While I am sure I could have posted faster times with the RM if I tinkered with the tranny, I decided to leave both as is with the exception of swapping out the sh rubber for some ss on the stock one before heading out to see how they handled a little competition.
I chose an A-spec muscle car event for the Z28-RM, two races (Daytona infield and Laguna Seca). At Daytona I was constantly harassed by a fellow Chevy driver, a newer Camaro, probably jealous of my classic ride.

Kids these days, no respect for their elders:
RoadCourse-Daytona_1.jpg

He even turned me once and all I could manage was a disapointing 5th place comback. I did give him a good bump on the high banks as I passed him to let him know I didn't appreciate it.

Even the Mustang driver gave me more respect through the bus stop than my fellow Camaro pilot:
RoadCourse-Daytona.jpg

I managed a competitive P2 at Laguna, though once again was accosted by a fellow bowtie racer, this time it was a newer vette.
I chose an old a-spec seasonal, 500pp at Trial Mountain, to run the stock Z. Even though I would be giving up almost 50pp I figured I could be competitive.

Muscling my way through the crowd:
TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

What is it with these white cars? The Camaro and Vette earlier were both white and now this guy. I thought the good guys wore white. My competition made the mistake of leaving the inside line open here.

The easy pass:
TrialMountainCircuit_1.jpg

This move got me to P3 with P1/P2 nose to tail up ahead...but did I have enough time to catch them? A lap later I had them in my sight heading downhill to the final kink before the finish line. I threw her for all she was
worth into that kink, catching plenty of air on the right side and as I came roaring onto the front stretch the pair up ahead was just taking the flag. So I had to settle for P3, at least it was a podium finish, and a lot of fun!

Air Camaro!
TrialMountainCircuit_3.jpg

I had a great time with this weeks COTW, even if it was a Chevy :sly: You can see why they call them muscle cars after driving them. The only way to get something out of them is to throw them hard into a corner, slam on the brakes and wrench the wheel back and forth...in other words, muscle them around the track. I think I had the most fun with the stock Z at Trial Mountain. Sure, the RM is hot, but there are much better handling and faster race cars out there if that is what you are looking for. The stock car just seemed more true to form as I remember them, great choice this week!

In other words... Drift. Drifting and being a missile down a straight away is the only way to drive one of these Vintage machines. Trying to nagotiate around a hard corner in a musle car isn't the best option. drifting is the way to go.

Last edited:
We called it power sliding 35 years ago, decades before the term "drift" was ever thought up 👍 Only one big problem with that type of driving, cost. The 12.5 inch BFG T/A's I ran on the rear used to run $500 a set, that's $500 a set in 70's $! Burning up a good set of tires gets pretty expensive pretty fast!

swampdude
In other words... Drift. Drifting and being a missile down a straight away is the only way to drive one of these Vintage machines. Trying to nagotiate around a hard corner in a musle car isn't the best option. drifting is the way to go.

Drifting is slower than taking turns with grip, even in a muscle car. I don't recall Mark Donohue winning any races by drifting.

Drifting is slower than taking turns with grip, even in a muscle car. I don't recall Mark Donohue winning any races by drifting.

Not in real life i ment in the game. Slide around cornors and be a missile around in the straight. In real life it's a different story.

swampdude
Not in real life i men't in the game. Slide around cornors and be a missile around in the straight. In real life it's a different story.

It's the same in the game. If you're faster drifting than gripping, your grip technique has a serious flaw, even in a muscle car.

Last edited:
Back