**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 18/05/12 Carroll Shelby Special**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 15th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A special announcement.

This weeks Car Of The Week thread is dedicated to the memory of one of the great men of motorsports. Carroll Shelby died last week from a heart condition, but has left behind him a truly phenomenal legacy, which anyone who considers themselves a true petrolhead should appreciate. His achievements include winning the Le Mans 24h in an Aston Martin back in 1959, competing in formula 1, twice being awarded Sports Illustrated driver of the year, and that was all before creating the Shelby company that produced some of the most iconic cars of our time, from the Shelby 427 Cobra (the most fearsome version of the classic AC sports car), the GT40 for Ford, the Viper for Dodge and of course the Shelby GT350 and GT500 Mustangs (think Elanor from Gone in 60 Seconds).

carroll-shelby-cobra.jpg

For this weeks COTW, as requested by several members of the GT planet community, we will be reviewing the great cars that Carroll Shelby had a hand in. Pick one and go to town on it! Any history, stories and facts about the man or the machines will be enjoyed and appreciated.

So do what he would have wanted you to do and drive his passions!

MustangManiac
"Next year Ferrari's *ss is mine"
C Shelby ~ 1964
Oh boy, this is going to fun!

Carroll actually won his first race in my town, Norman, Oklahoma. Of course, I wasn't alive for that.

If you find yourself in Las Vegas, swing by the factory and take the free tour.

If you find yourself in Boulder, CO, pay the small fee and check out the racing museum.

I highly recommend both, but good luck holding back the tears.

Also, read Go Like Hell. All about whipping Ferraris (expletive).

Edit- just saw that there will be a 3 episode series about Carroll on Velocity, Sunday @ 8p EST. Check it out.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/18/carroll-shelby-to-get-the-tv-miniseries-treatment-thanks-to-velo/

Last edited:
I'm going to find my book that features the GT40 and Cobra and write down the info from it. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to review a Shelby, but at least I will have contributed with some history. R.I.P. Carroll Shelby.

Last edited:
-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"If the car is good, the name won't hurt it. If the car is bad, the name won't help it." -Carroll Shelby

Week 15: The Shelby Cars

Last week I was having a nice lunch with a few members of the crew, when my phone rang with some rather disturbing news. Normally, whenever I see our producer call, I'd just reject it and be on my way. I don't bother him when he's not at work, is it too much to ask the same in return? What on Earth could possibly be so important as to disturb our wonderful and nutritious lunch?

Producer
Carroll Shelby has just passed away.
After the call, I passed on the unfortunate news to the rest of the assembled hooligans. Dead silence. Heads bowed, and the jubilant atmosphere withered into that of reflection and contemplation. Decades later, someone finally spoke up. "We have to do something."

Agreed. With tabs paid, and carryout boxes stuffed, we piled into our respective cars and headed back to the office. Not a word was said.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009-2.jpg

If you don't know who Carroll Shelby is, you either; A) don't know anything about cars, or B) aren't really a man. He's the man that introduced the name "Cobra" into households all across America, reinvented the Mustang, then went out and kicked Ferrari's butt on their own turf. When it comes to anything automotive, this man had the Midas touch, turning everything into gold.

Ask Chrysler.

Originally born in Texas, Carroll was raising chickens in 1949. Three short later, he'd won his first road race in a MG TC in Norman, Oklahoma. That same day, against stronger competition from a few Jaguars, Carroll once again took home the checkered flag. How many racers win their first race... let alone two races... on the same day?

With everything being bigger in Texas, it's only natural to assume that more is better, and Carroll was no exception. Bitten by the racing bug, he went out and gathered a few more victories, eventually leading to full time employment from companies like Aston Martin and Austin Healey.

When it comes to a driving résumé, there's one mark that every fan looks for: Formula 1. Carroll was there, competing in 8 World Championship races, and several non-championship races. During the course of his driving, however, his heart began troubling him, and soon after, Carroll had to retire. Well, I suppose he didn't have to retire, but who really wants to be bothered with taking heart medication in the midst of a lap at Laguna Seca?

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca-3.jpg

Rather than meeting at the office as usual, our producer had asked that we meet him and the rest of our crew at our top secret test track. Collectively, we decided that flogging the best examples of Carroll's talent would be the best tribute to the man that has touched so many of our lives.

Our first car being a classic example. When Carroll had finished racing, he still felt the urge to compete. Rather than being behind the wheel, Carroll wanted to construct his own racing cars, and campaign them all over the world against the best marques. However, with such a short racing career, and well before the billions of dollars spent in today's racing industry, Carroll was a bit short of funds.

That left him with only two choices. Find another way to make a living, or con his way into the living he wanted. Okay, con may be a strong word, but there's no denying that his charisma helped join AC Cars of England with Ford Motor Company of America, into the single most-wanted muscle car of the era.

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
The Shelby Cobra competed in the FIA Speed World Challenge, a world endurance championship that differed from GT-class racing because there was no limitation on engine displacement.

To defeat their rival, Ferrari, in this series, the folks at Shelby American fitted a large displacement engine into their racecar, which came in the form of the 7.0-liter 427-cu.-in. “Side Oiler,” a pure purpose-built racing engine. Thus, the development of the Shelby Cobra 427 was under way, starting near the end of 1964. The first prototype was completed in the spring of 1965.

One problem that immediately arose during development was the strength of the chassis, or lack thereof. In comparison to the 345 HP by the 289 engine, the 427 Side Oiler’s 493 HP was simply too much power for the existing setup. Phil Remington, in charge of design at Shelby America, determined that the suspension was the car’s weakest link, so the side-mounted leaf suspension was abandoned in favor of a conventional double wishbone with coil dampers.

The Shelby 427 cleared its 100 unit minimum production requirement and acquired FIA homologation. The car first competed in the SCCA A production class at the opening at the opening of the 1966 season. In the end, 348 Shelby Cobra 427s were built with 88 of them being competition spec models or test cars. The 427 S/C is a road-going model with competition spec equipment. Only 31 of these examples were built.

If more is better, then the Cobra certainly justifies the philosophy. Excuse me, but may I have more power? Sure, have double. May I have more lightness? Fear not, this is the smallest and lightest muscle car on the streets. Yes, but may I have something that will drop my girlfriends panties faster than I can leave the line? Done and done.

Performance as Purchased: March 18, 2011, Guardsman Blue (Blue)
Displacement: 6,998 cc
Max. Power: 445 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 446 ft-lbs. @ 3,500 rpm
Drivetrain: RWD
Length: 3,962 mm Height: 1,244 mm Weight: 1311 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 507
Mileage: 58,013.1 mi.

For our tests, our producer has asked a few of our previous drivers if they'd like to come back and participate in our tribute. A few drivers agreed, while a few more shouted enough curses to make a voodoo witch blush. First up was our resident high school driving instructor, Oliver Logan, who previously tested the Lotuses for Week 11. We also had a representative from Shelby on hand named Gary, who would give us the technical perfection we needed. For this car, his team gave us 47 extra horses, but only 15 Performance Points.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 492 hp, Max. Torque: 493 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 522

Starting off with the A/C 427, Oliver took a few silent moments with the car, a silent tribute and quiet thanks for the experience about to be had. Strapped and ready, he propelled the little car down the quarter mile to the tune of 0:12.256, and a 0-60 mph time of just 0:04.172!
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:29.952, 0-100 mph: 0:08.377, Max. G-Force: 0.78G, Top Speed: 167.9 mph

Ahrweiler-TownSquare.jpg

Up next is the Shelby version of the same car, only this time with the name "Cobra". There are some minor differences, but only the most retentive of the anus could tell you what they were. For every other red-blooded American, we just see the car and obtain an instant erection that's with us until the car disappears... and sometimes still long after.

When it comes to American cars of the 60's, none look better... which is probably because it's the Brits that designed the body.

The original Cobras came with a 260 cu.-in. engine, then with a 289 and a 327, each with their respective wheel flaring. For our example, the 427, Shelby had to modify the wheel arches to fit enough rubber to make the car somewhat manageable, and even then only just.

Translator-san...

Translator-san
Other than what I've already told you about the AC, I've got nothing.

Thank you, Translator-san.

Performance as Purchased: November 27, 2010, Maroon (Red)
Displacement: 6,997 cc
Max. Power: 485 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 480 ft-lbs. @ 3,500 rpm
Length: 3,962 mm Height: 1,245 mm Weight: 1068 kg
Performance Points: 532
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

Gary and company set about checking the Cobra, discovering 9 more ponies and 7 Performance Points. During this, he proceeded to explain the differences between the assembled Cobras, as well as the intricacies of their development. By the time he started to finally explain what the Performance Points were for, I was asleep. That quickly changed, as the engine firing was enough to wake up God.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 494 hp, Max. Torque: 489 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 539

Returning for the test in this car is Father Martin Bishop, of the failed Mid Night Club attempt, and Week 8 Devil Z fame. Humbly, Father Bishop entered the car, whispering the Lord's Prayer as he made his final checks and strapped himself in. Despite being older than Carroll, he managed to coax a 0-60 mph time of 0:04.166 and the quarter mile in 0:12.039. Why couldn't he do that in Week 8?
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:29.978, 0-100 mph: 0:07.896, Max. G-Force: 0.78G, Top Speed: 154.3 mph

Siena-PiazzadelCampo_1.jpg

For our last Cobra, we wanted to see what the Super Snake was like. Again, Carroll was a Texan, and in Texas everything is bigger. This Cobra, something called a Chrome Line, should offer similar performance, although Gary assures me that Shelby American doesn't currently offer this in their continuation cars lineup.

If the Cobra was a muscle car, then this is what would happen to said muscle car with steroids. Only two Super Snakes were built, one for Carroll, and one for a young comedian at the time named Bill Cosby. Carroll had seen the comedian out and about with European sports cars, and new his cars would be better received if American celebrities were seen driving them.

The plan called for two things: 1000 hp, and 200 mph. Just one drive was enough for Bill, immediately giving the car back, and producing a best-selling comedy album at the time, 200 MPH. That car was then given to a Tony Maxey, who loved it so much, he drove it off a cliff. The other car, built especially for Carroll, later sold at auction for over 5 million.

Translator-san
This Chrome Line model is a specially tuned and painted version prepared exclusively for the Collector’s Edition.

Okay, so it's not an actual Super Snake Cobra. There's only one left in existence, and it cost more money than I'd make in several lifetimes. If you want that car tested so badly, buy it, and we shall be more than happy to tell you what it'll do.

Performance as Purchased: November 24, 2010, Blue (with Collector's Edition chrome stripes)
Max. Power: 570 hp @ 6,900 rpm
Max. Torque: 532 ft-lbs. @ 4,400 rpm
Length: 3,962 mm Height: 1,245 mm Weight: 982 kg
Performance Points: 561
Mileage: 219.1 mi.
*Stage 2 Weight Reduction, Stage 1 Engine Tuning

Once again, Gary and his team went to work, but this time there wasn't much of it. With hardly any miles on the odometer, we salvaged 28 hp, and 6 Performance Points, all without scratching the paint. Job well done.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 598 hp, Max. Torque: 559 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 567

Our Chrome Line driver is young Hoshima-san. He's the son of Isuzu guru Iwo, from Week 13. You may remember his love of classic cars, so when our producer phoned him to see if he was interested, he leapt at the chance. At the track, and with the car, Hoshima once again went through his meticulous and reverent mating ritual with the car. Once settled, he unleashed the car's fury, pounding out a 0:11.979 quarter, marching to 60 mph in 0:04.529.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:27.636, 0-100 mph: 0:07.700, Max. G-Force: 0.78G, Top Speed: 196.0 mph

RoadCourse-Indy-1.jpg

With the success of the Cobra came the luxury of working harder. As a way of paying the piper, Carroll agreed to develop the Ford Mustang for competition, finally settling on SCCA racing. In the 1960's, the SCCA was the epicenter of racing outside of Indianapolis. If it wasn't the month of May, you were watching the SCCA.

To homologate the car for the series, Shelby was given the choice of modifying the suspension or the engine. Shelby chose the suspension, but was able to still modify the engine thanks, once again, to his cleverness and charisma. With the success on the track came sales, including a nice deal with Hertz to allow amateur racers spare parts in exchange for a weekend rental agreement.

Of course, Hertz didn't actually agree to that kind of deal. They knew having Shelby's cars would help their business, but they still though they were in the market to rent cars. After having so many GT350Hs come back with missing or different parts, it soon became clear they were also in the repair business.

Translator-san
Ford and Shelby American formed one of the most successful partnerships in American racing in the Sixties. Among the race cars they created was the GT350R, which went to battle in the 1965 SCCA B Production race.

Ford and Shelby decided to produce a production version of this race machine, but one that could easily be turned into a bonafide race car. This car was known as the Mustang GT350.

The base GT350 “S” used the Mustang Fastback GT as a foundation, then added a high-output engine and racing spec suspension. The “R” model took things a few steps further by increasing the power of Ford’s small-block 289 cu.-in. pushrod V-8 and included anti-roll bars and a large fuel tank (Ford’s big-block V-8 wouldn’t fit into the car’s engine bay).
In short, the vehicle was race-ready and positioned to take on the Chevrolet Corvette in the USRRC (United States Road Race of Champions). The suspension settings between the “S” and the “R” were identical, but what set the “R” apart visually from the “S” was its FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) bumper and a larger grille.

There were only 35 GT350Rs produced, two of which were the prototypes used as the works cars for Shelby American. The 1965 Shelby GT350R was the SCCA B-production national champion in 1965, 1966 and 1967.

For our performance test, we'd taken the hottest GT350R we could find. Rather than muck about with some reproduction clone, we wanted the real deal. From what Gary tells us, our car has been fully modified, with every available performance part at the time. If Shelby had a go-fast goody, it was on our Mustang.

Performance as Purchased: December 2, 2010, Wimbledon White (with rally stripes)
Displacement: 4,736 cc
Max. Power: 574 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Max. Torque: 593 ft-lbs. @ 4,900 rpm
Length: 4,613 mm Height: 1,300 mm Weight: 1055 kg
Tires: Racing (Soft)
Performance Points: 552
Mileage: 39,443.0 mi.
*Full Modification

While Gary was busy with the boys, I talked with The Todd. Well, I thought I was talking with The Todd, but it just turned out to be his bluetooth headset, and he was busy talking to someone else. One final check with Gary, and he's given us the all clear, with no additional performance to be had.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: A car wash. That's it.

The Todd was at least courteous enough to respect the moment, ending his phone call before getting into the car. Considering his work with the RS4 and the TT, we felt confident that he could propel our priceless pony down the track without fault. Thankfully, our trust was rewarded with a 0:11.463 quarter, and 0:03.968 0-60.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:27.371, 0-100 mph: 0:06.976, Max. G-Force: 0.87G, Top Speed: 202.1 mph

Classic Recreations
Yukon, OK... about 20 minutes from where I live. Who says they don't make 'em like they used to. Unique Perforwho?

4g1c02.jpg

If Biggie Smalls was any sort of a mathematician, then we can safely assume that as the level of financial wealth increases, so do the difficulties. And while "pimping" may not exactly be easy, Carroll certainly made it look so. With his Cobras and GT350Rs winning all across America, Ford stepped in and asked him to do what they'd failed to previously... beat Ferrari.

David, I'm so glad you're here! There's someone I've been dying to introduce you to! Meet Goliath...

Henry Ford II intended on buying Ferrari, but when he realized that he'd been used by Enzo to bolster his stock rating, and subsequently the price Fiat would pay, he took it rather personal. One might even say like Ahab. With enough finances to air condition Hell, he hired Carroll to get the job done.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_1.jpg

Our GT40 is the 1967, and represents Carroll's last year at Le Mans. Having won the race as a driver in '59, then as a constructor in '66 and '67, there wasn't much left for him. Add the previous year's stunt, and ongoing frustrations with government regulations and an upcoming national speed limit... the writing was already on the wall....

Translator-san
The year was 1966, and Ford was on a roll, especially at the world’s most famous endurance race, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The company realized its goal of winning the historic contest on its third try, dominating the competition with the Ford GT Mark II. With their eyes set on winning future Le Mans races, the engineers from Ford had begun work developing a new race car in 1965, one that would eclipse the prowess of the GT Mark II. The new car, the Mark IV, was built according to changes in article J of the FIA vehicle regulation.

The new car possessed an aluminum honeycomb chassis, which replaced the previous car’s steel monocoque one. The profile of the car was characterized by its long, low body that curved from the center section to the rear end. The side air intakes utilized NACA ducts for less drag. The car was subjected to intense wind tunnel testing, and as a result, the Mark IV was one of the most aerodynamically-proficient vehicles in the world.

Although the Mark IV’s engine was carried over from the Mark II, its power was increased to 523 HP. The chassis was also updated. The result was a race car with an improved top speed of 215.6 miles and better overall stability than its predecessor. In 1967, the Mark IV won the 12 Hours of Sebring and claimed the checkered flag at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, beating its rival, Ferrari, by five laps. This victory marked the last time the Ford works team participated at Le Mans. The main reason for its departure was the adoption of a new rule in 1968 that restricted maximum displacement, which seemed directly aimed at the Ford GT because, simply put, the car was too fast for the competition.

In 1966 Ken Miles should've won Le Mans. He was the test driver, developer, and the only man truly capable of extracting the maximum performance from the car. As the race ran, Ken found himself with a massive lead, followed by teammates Chris Amon and Bruce McLaren. Ford new they had it in the bag, so they decided to have all three GT40s cross the line at the same time. What better way to signal one's automotive dominance?

No one mentioned the plan to the drivers. Through pit signals, Ken was ordered to slow, and on the final lap, as the three cars rolled to the line, Bruce gave his car just a little more gas, and crossed the finish line first, robbing Ken of the well deserved victory.

1966 Le Mans would remain Carroll's biggest regret. The fact that Ken lost his life a short time later didn't help either.

Performance as Purchased: October 17, 2011, Mark IV Red (with stickers)
Max. Power: 490 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 456 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,343 mm Height: 978 mm Weight: 1000 kg
Tires: Racing (Hard)
Performance Points: 594
Mileage: 8.4 mi.

While the Shelby surgeons are busy working on the car, I keep myself busy by hiding every bottle of liquor within a 5 mile radius. Jerry, our driver from last week, occasionally fancies himself a drink, and with these cars around, the last thing we need is a multi-million dollar collision. A short time later, Gary gives us the go ahead, finding 24 extra horsepower and 8 Performance Points.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 514 hp, Max. Torque: 479 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 602

Rather than enjoy the moment in a somber manner, Jerry just lets out a enormous belch before firing up the engine. Well, I say he fired up the engine, but it sounded more like a grenade inside a washing machine. Seconds later, the car disappears in a trail of smoke and sound, completing the trip in 0:11.166 and speeding to 60 in 0:03.574.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:26.682, 0-100 mph: 0:06.522, Max. G-Force: 1.15G, Top Speed: 202.5 mph

SpecialStageRouteX_1-4.jpg

After the 60s, Carroll needed a change of scenery. He moved to South Africa, participating in a number of failing ventures, before finally coming back to the States. As any car guy will tell you, once the bug bites you, there is no cure. Carroll was no exception, and in the 90s, he let that bite become infected.

Shelby American had produced only continuation Cobras till then, but Carroll still felt the need to build his own car. Starting fresh, he designed a brand new car from the ground up, sourcing a variant of the Northstar engine from GM, normally found in their Aurora models. What wasn't normally found on the Aurora models, however, was the supercharger Shelby added to the car.

More is better, right?

Translator-san
Other than maintenance and reproduction of Cobras which had been produced in the past, Shelby American had long distanced themselves from producing street cars, until they worked on their first sports cars in a very long while: The Shelby Series 1.

It made its first appearance in 1998. The body and chassis were Shelby American originals, a front engine, rear drive 2 seater roadster. But it bears no resemblance to the Cobras in the past. The frame is a semi-monocoque design with a combination of aluminum tubular frame and aluminum honeycomb panels, and is built like a prototype racecar of the past.

The engine chosen for the car was a 4.0 liter DOHC V8 with 4 valves per cylinder, from the Oldsmobile Aurora. Combined with a supercharger, it produced 320 HP.

While the first models were only able to produce 320 HP, later editions produced 444 HP from the same engine. It’s still a mystery as to what was changed, but it is speculated that improving the supercharger was the main reason behind the additional power.

The newest Shelby Series 1 with its 444 HP unit shows a level of high performance you would just not imagine from its classic car looks. It does 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds, 0-100 mph in 9.27 seconds, and a ¼ mile in a constant 12 second level. Its maximum speed reaches upwards of 170 mph (169 mph).

In May 2001, I had the priviledge of visiting the factory with my wife. Every morning, at 10a, one of the Shelby representatives guides guests throughout the facility, lecturing about the various cars and history of the company. Inside, I got to see four of these very cars in various stages of builds, with the finished product inside the showroom.

My signature is still on the visitor's wall... twice.

Performance as Purchased: February 22, 2011, Silver (with rally stripes)
Displacement: 3,995 cc
Max. Power: 319 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 289 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,292 mm Height: 1,194 mm Weight: 1202 kg
Performance Points: 487
Mileage: 1,624.2 mi.

With the final car under their belt, and after 16 more horsepower and 7 more Performance Points were restored, Gary gave me the green light to begin the final test. Meanwhile, his hot rod heroes began packing up equipment, and preparing for the long trip back to Las Vegas. Before making my way to the car, I take a moment to thank each of them for their time today, and for their contributions to the automotive world.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 335 hp, Max. Torque: 304 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 494

When I step into the car, it hits me. Other than the new Mustang, and a few concept cars, this was Carroll's last creation. As I buckle my seatbelt, I'm reminded that there are no more car shows to look forward to like in the past. No more visors to sign. No more secretaries to harass. No more Americans capable of challenging giants. Despite the tears, the Series 1 blasts to 60 in 0:04.463, and the quarter in 0:12.888.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:12.888, 0-100 mph: 0:10.087, Max. G-Force: 0.87G, Top Speed: 176.8

7179562232_7b1b669c2a_z.jpg

Photo: RedSuns-Ryuu

Carroll Shelby started off as a simple Texas farmer. Through luck and determination, he ended a God among men. The embodiment of the American dream, Carroll proved that even a simple farmer could beat the best of the world at their own game, and even forced the world to play by his rules. It's been often said that Carroll had a way of extracting the best from those around him. Turns out that the ones around him happened to be the best at what they do too.

Ken Miles, Peter Brock, Bob Bondurant, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Dean Moon and countless others were all gathered by Shelby to do the impossible.

As we say goodbye to Carroll, we're reminded of his tough spirit and generous nature. The Caroll Shelby Foundation and Shelby American will both live on, and in doing, so will Carroll. Each Mustang that rolls from the Las Vegas facility still has the signature of the craftsman, and the spirit of a legend. With each kit car finished, another reminder of Carroll's legacy will roam the streets, inspiring more kids to ask their fathers about the magical rumble coming from the exotic pipes.

With each mile traveled, Carroll lives on.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Carroll Shelby Merchandise. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. May cause drowsiness. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Ed. Note- R.I.P. Carroll Shelby (1/11/23 - 5/10/12)

Last edited:
Would you guys help me as I would like to get an image of all the cars in GT5 that Shelby had his hand in the process. I want them all to be in chronological order going through the corkscrew at Laguna SECA.

I should be on the PS3 next week if anyone is interested.

Cars.
Cobra 427
GT40
GT350
Viper
Series one

If I have missed any please let me know.

wolfdragon97's Tribute to Carroll Shelby

RIPCarrollShelby.jpg

Carroll Shelby was a very inspiratonal man. He was also a very talented man. He is the father of the Cobra we all know and love today. He was the only man who vowed to kick Enzo Ferrari's rear end - and did it twice. The automotive world has lost a hero of a man, who lived life to the fullest, a man who had won the 24 hours of Le Mans, participated in Formula 1, and raced throughout the world. He will be forever missed, and never forgotten.

ACCobra427front.jpg

In 1961, AC Cars was an old established British car company that had been manufacturing cars since 1904 and had been building the Ace sports car at their Thames Ditton factory in Surrey since 1953. The Ace, an elegant two-seater, was fitted with a Bristol 2.0 litre straight-six engine, a pre World War II BMW engine whose performance was no longer really up to par. However, the chassis of the Ace was an excellent design. Consisting of a rigid ladder-frame construction with fully independent suspension all round, it was capable of handling far more power than the aged Bristol/BMW engine could offer.

American racing driver Carroll Shelby had raced in Europe and had noticed the Ace's potential - given a great deal more horsepower. He reckoned that a large V8 engine would transform the car, and asked AC if they could create a car modified to take just such an engine. He approached General Motors to see if they would provide the V8, then powering the Corvette, but was rebuffed, as the company at that time had a policy against racing. Ford, however, greeted Shelby with open arms, and offered him their recently developed 3.6 litre small-block V8.

ACCobra427engine.jpg

Back at Thames Ditton, AC's engineers fitted the new V8 with little difficulty and, to cope with the added torque, mated it to a stronger Salisbury rear differential. With it's disc brakes mounted inboard, this was the same unit used on the Jaguar E-Type. The first prototypes were ready in 1962 and impressed Shelby and Ford so much that Shelby pressed AC to put the cars into immediate production and Ford offered the even more powerful 4.2 litre V8 they had recently developed for the Fairlane saloon.

Production duly started in 1962, AC building the cars and then shipping them to the US, where Shelby completed the fitting out in Los Angeles. 75 of these MKI AC Cobras were built before Ford uprated the Fairlane engine to 4,736cc, and these were then fitted from 1963 to the Cobra MKII, of which around 500 examples were built. It was this engine that powered the Cobra to countless racing victories in the US and around the world.

ShelbyCobralogo.jpg

A couple of years later, Shelby reckoned he needed even more power if he was to remain competitive. Thankfully, in 1965, Ford introduced a massive new 7.0 litre V8 for their Galaxie saloon, and this soon found it's way under the hood of the AC Cobra. This MKIII Cobra - then called the 427 (the capacity of the engine in cubic inches, just in case you didn't know :P) - produced 425bhp at 6,000rpm and 490bhp at 6,500rpm in racing versions. All that extra power required some major modifications to the chassis, 4-speed manual transmission, and even the wheels and tyres. All had to be strengthened and upgraded. What had started as an elegant and relatively understated sports car now had something of the appearance of a hotrod. The 427 was a nakedly aggresive beast whose appearance screamed raw power, and nothing demonstrated that potential more than the massive wheels and the widely splayed wheel arches that accommodated them.

ACCobra427rear.jpg

And it wasn't all for show. Oh, hell no. The MKIII Cobra had a top speed of 180mph and 0-60mph acceleration in 4.5 seconds and 0-100mph in 10.3 seconds. More radically, a special closed-top coupé, produced to compete at Le Mans, was clocked at 196mph on the M1! Around 300 MKIII Cobras were dispatched from England to Shelby in the US, including 31 cars intended for racing that were detuned and modified for the road. These S/C cars are among the rarest Cobras of all.

The final AC Cobras were made in 1967. Although since then, various similar models have been produced by AC and AutoKraft in the UK, and even by Shelby himself in the US. The real thing was made only in the 1960s, when the AC Cobra became a living embodiment of the American saying, "There's no substitute for cubic inches."

AC-Cobra-427-Competition_1-500x375.jpg

The May 2012 issue of Road & Track happened to have an article in it celebrating 50 years of Shelby, from the '62 Cobra onwards. Throughout the issue there were several quotes the magazine had gotten from Carroll Shelby through the years. I figured I would share them with everyone here.

"I remember sitting around with John and Elaine Bond, and they said they'd be willing to put the Cobra on the Road & Track cover. That was the happiest day of my life. But it took six martinis because John and Elaine really could down those martinis at lunch."

"The Cobra is my personal favorite car. The original 289 Cobra is the car I respect the most. I like to drive the 289 better than the 427."

"People say, 'Hey, you gonna build another Cobra?' I say, '🤬 no.' In the first place, I lost my ass on the first one. In the second place, it was something Ford subsidized so we could outrun the Corvette."

"It was fun to blow off a Porsche with a $3900 donkey (the 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang)."

"The reason I moved to California the first time was to build the Cobra. I thought it was stupid to have a 1918 taxicab engine in what Europeans like to call a performance car when a little American V-8 could do the job better."

"Wherever we wanted to, we could beat the GTO (with the Daytona Coupe). Even in 1965, when Ferrari started slipping 4.0-liters in there. That old pushrod 289 blew 'em off. That's one of the greatest accomplishments by a bunch of hot rodders. Shelby American was built around hot rodders, and Phil Remington was the king of the hot rodders."

"There's so darned many supercars out there today. How do these guys think they're gonna make any money? I think they're smoking something I haven't tried yet."

"I feel pretty good. I never thought I'd live this long. They told me in 1960 that I had less than five years to live."

"We should have won the World Championship in 1964 until Old Man Ferrari canceled Monza. We were one point behind, and all six Daytona Coupes would have beaten the GTOs."

"Next year, Ferrari's ass is mine." -Shelby (after losing to Ferrari in the 1964 World Sports Car Championship)

"My proudest moments are beating Ferrari fo the World Championship in 1965, and working with Ford to win Le Mans in 1966 and 1967."

"In 1964, when Lee Iacocca said, 'Shelby, I want you to make a sports car out of the Mustang,' the first thing I said was, 'Lee, you can't make a race horse out of a mule. I don't want to do it.' He said, 'I didn't ask you to make it, you work for me."

"I drove a Ferrari GTO once. Not in a race. I wanted to make sure we could kick the hell out of it with the Daytona Coupe. It took Ken Miles and John Collins six months to get that thing to stay on the ground. Peter Brock is a good designer, as far as looks is concerned, but he sure as hell wasn't an aerodynamicist. The first time we went down the straightaway at Riverside, the rear wheels came off the ground at 140 mph."

"I had a lot of fun building those Dodge pocket rockets. Every magazine in the country, every publication, said, 'What the hell is Shelby doing building those?'"

"I built the first Viper, but the project moved back to Chrysler when I had to have a heart transplant. So, I didn't really have much to do with the finished version, even though most people think I do. I built a 2900-lb. car. Chrysler built one that weighed 3700 lb."

"Is 1000 horsepower too much? Sure. But you'll put that on the cover of the magazine, where 300 horsepower doesn't have much chance anymore. It's a matter of marketing. We will sell a few of them. Probably won't make a profit, but we'll improve the image of the Mustang, and that will sell a lot of V-6 Mustangs."

R.I.P Carroll Shelby 1923-2012

You know last night I was watching pawn stars and it was a repeat of an old episode with an original 65' Unbuilt Cobra. I have seen many of Cobra both real and fake and the looks of that car will never get old and is very modern even by today's standards. There is no way anyone aside from the man himself will ever catch that magic again.

There is no way anyone aside from the man himself will ever catch that magic again.

You can still catch the magic. Shelby America still produces the Cobra. They're focused primarily on the Mustang production, but they still build Cobras to order.

Catching magic requires a large bank account.

Here's Bill Cosby recounting the 1000 hp Super Snake Shelby built for him. Only two were ever produced.. one for Carroll, and one for Bill. Bill gave his back, which was then sold to Tony Maxey... who promptly drove it off a cliff.
The CSX3015 was auctioned on 22 January 2007, at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event in Scottsdale, Arizona, for $5 million plus commission (£2.8 million).

So, you think the regular 427 is difficult to drive? Remember Mr. Maxey the next time you're given a Cobra in a shuffle race.

Last edited:
The 3 hour special on Velocity tonight will be immediately replayed, in case anyone misses it. For those without Velocity, try searching the torrents tomorrow, as someone is likely to upload it.

Check your local listings, but the 3 hour-long episodes are on tonight.

RoadCourse-Indy_1.jpg

I'm sorry but I won't be doing any reviews or pics this week AS MY EYES ARE BLEEDING after looking at that abomination ^^. Only joking hoping to get some up later. Great pics & reviews so far.

jedisteampunk
I'm sorry but I won't be doing any reviews or pics this week AS MY EYES ARE BLEEDING after looking at that abomination ^^. Only joking hoping to get some up later. Great pics & reviews so far.

0-186 mph in ten seconds isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The automotive world has lost one of its greatest. My dad passed last year and he and I idolized this man. As the pastor talked of my dad building an engine in his bedroom (yeah, god bless my mom for putting up with all our car guy s**t) I couldn't help but think how he always talked about the Cobra's and how through the 80's noone still had made anything that could touch it after 20 years. A guy in our hometown where I grew up had built a replica complete with 427 side oiler. We saw him at one of the local car shows and he said he had about $90,000 into it and it was as close to an original as he could build it. Man every time we saw that beast around town we practically salivated. There's a reason the Cobra is the most replicated car of all time. It was truly a masterpiece. I mean what did they have too compare it too at that time? A Corvette, HEHE that's funny, even the best Vettes were no match. This was the first ever American Supercar. Long live the memory of a truly great man. Not only for his passion for cars but for all he did for charity. He lived long and I think he was still doing what he loved when he passed, building fast cars.

Back