**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 25/05/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 16th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

*Well, due to issues with Virgin Media which have now resulted in many people losing jobs, loss of tea-brake privelidges and one man being burnt (a little) and a day of screaming at an ageing blackberry that doesn't hold an internet connection, I have had no internet for a few days. Meaning I have had no communication with someone to choose this weeks car.

I have now realised what a geek I must seem to my friends when I ask if I can use their internet and they say 'sure, is it for online banking? ticket booking or just facebook?' and I reply - 'No, um, its an internet forum that I kinda have a thread on. Its about a computer game....' but still, here I am.

So I am picking it this week for ease, and I know how some of you get when it's late so here we go.

And the car that is to hold our attention this week?

Honda_CIVIC_1500_3door_CX_%2779.jpg

The Honda CIVIC 1500 3door CX '79

Why, because it is way better than you think it is. Plus my uncle had one and wrote it off by hitting a badger. Is that not as good as any reason?

Hopefully normal service will be resumed soon, but for now, DEAL WITH IT!

Turismo.M.G!
Announcing the 16th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

*Well, due to issues with Virgin Media which have now resulted in many people losing jobs, loss of tea-brake privelidges and one man being burnt (a little) and a day of screaming at an ageing blackberry that doesn't hold an internet connection, I have had no internet for a few days. Meaning I have had no communication with someone to choose this weeks car.

I have now realised what a geek I must seem to my friends when I ask if I can use their internet and they say 'sure, is it for online banking? ticket booking or just facebook?' and I reply - 'No, um, its an internet forum that I kinda have a thread on. Its about a computer game....' but still, here I am.

So I am picking it this week for ease, and I know how some of you get when it's late so here we go.

And the car that is to hold our attention this week?

The Honda CIVIC 1500 3door CX '79

Why, because it is way better than you think it is. Plus my uncle had one and wrote it off by hitting a badger. Is that not as good as any reason?

Hopefully normal service will be resumed soon, but for now, DEAL WITH IT!

Gotta agree, Weird how ive been using this lately in online races abit, the 'noobs' online just curse it though, want to race with proper people like the guys at this forum!

Totaled by a badger...must be one small car or one big badger! Looks a lot like my sisters old VW Rabbit. I will have to check and see if I have one. probably do as I have been buying everything I see pre 1980 for quite some time now.

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"If you're under control, you aren't trying hard enough." -Parnelli Jones

Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX

Over the past month, we've experienced more than our fair share of tragedy. First, my wife left me. Then I was nearly arrested for flying through the streets of Monaco. We followed that up with a reminder of how far Chevrolet has fallen, and then Carroll Shelby dies. While the cars that we've tested have been noteworthy, we needed something to lift up our spirits.

After our multi million Credit spending spree last month, our producer decided that this week we deserved something a bit cheaper, and hopefully a lot more cheerful. He then began babbling something about the gas crisis of the 1970s, Jimmy Carter, and the typical Japanese small car invasion (expletive). I'm sorry, but if I wanted a history lesson about the 1970s, I'll ask my parents.

Look, I'll test whatever you want, so long as it isn't a shade of Avocado/Olive green, any shade of orange, or Chocolate brown.

SpecialStageRouteX_2-1.jpg

Obviously somebody thinks they're cute.

Towards the latter end of the 1970s, the Japanese had invaded the United States, offering affordable, light, economical cars for people that weighed more than the car itself. People across the nation began trading in their super-sized behemoths, not because of the environment, but because of the savings and reliability. At the time, Americans just couldn't make good, cheap, small cars.

President Jimmy Carter once referred to the time as "a crisis of confidence" in America. Our Civic serves as a reminder of just how right he was. Rather than taking the fight to an emerging market, U.S. domestic makers continued with the same tried-and-failed formula that worked, or didn't, in the past. In fact, the willingness to adapt with change was eerily similar to how Chevrolet and Chrysler continued to build SUVs, even though the public made it quite clear that the market had moved on. While the Prius sold like hotcakes, the Tahoe bloated into a 60+ day inventory on dealers lots, and the taxpayers footed the bill.

Then the Volt comes out, and all is forgiven? I think not! Our little Civic is evidence that if you don't know history, you're bound to repeat it. Both GM and Chrysler are hard at work developing fuel efficient vehicles, even though they're years away from the competition. However, like the battery fires that plague the Volt and the Karma, the Civic had its share of teething problems as well.

SpecialStageRoute7_1-1.jpg

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
Known in Honda circles as the "Super Civic," the second-generation compact front-wheel-drive car was better in every way than its predecessor. The new 3- and 5-door hatchbacks were dramatically bigger than the original model, with an overall length of 152.3 inches, width of 62.2 inches and height of 53.1 inches. This in turn accounted for a spacious interior. Making things even roomier were a 4-door sedan and 5-door wagon that were added to the mix in 1980. Power came from either a 1.3-liter or 1.5-liter SOHC inline-4.

The sportiest in the line was the 3-door 1500 CX hatchback, the spiritual successor to the 1200RS of the first-generation Civic. The CX possessed a long list of exclusive parts that set it apart from the normal 1500; the most significant of these was the engine. sitting beneath the hood of the CX was Honda's 1.5-liter SOHC inline-4 based on the first-gen Civic's low emission CVCC. This reliable motor came mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and produced 84 HP and 88.9 ft-lb. of torque. That it could still pass the strict exhaust restrictions of its day while turning out this much powers was nothing short of incredible, and the sporty nature and overall packaging of the Civic CX proved a winning formula with all enthusiasts, from the young weekend racer to the suburbanites who occasionally liked to stomp their right foot down.

I don't know exactly how a Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion engine works, but what I do know is that 1) you don't have or need a catalytic converter, and b) it can use either regular or unleaded gasoline. Granted, in America we use things like eco-friendly unleaded gasoline for our cars, but expecting the rest of the world to follow is like expecting coal to somehow be clean. It just isn't. So along with its economical and cultural heritage, comes its candidacy for a Pan-American road trip.

When the car arrives from the garage, I'm pleased to see its a lovely shade of period-fashionable orange, and not some (expletive) stain brown, or repugnant green. It may not look like much, but remember, it gets excellent fuel economy, which is exactly what you want for a long distance rally. And to ensure our Honda receives the finest care, we've enlisted the services of a gentleman named Johan, and his team of reputable repair men.

Well what on Earth did you expect, Target Chip Ganassi? Well, as luck would have it, they were a bit busy winning something called the Indianapolis 500. Perhaps you may have heard from it. And besides, we've already had the lucky race winner here before, testing the Alfa Romeo way back in Week 2. While I'm sure he'd positively jump at the chance of driving our 78 hp rocket, apparently he'd prefers pouring milk all over himself like some sort of child.

SuzukaCircuit.jpg

Johan (waving), and his Hondura, whatever the hell that is.

Performance As Purchased: February 22, 2011 Santa Fe Orange (Orange)
Displacement: 1,488 cc
Max. Power: 78 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 84 ft-lbs. @ 3,500 rpm
Drivetrain: FF
Length: 3,870 mm Height: 1,350 mm Weight: 780 kg
Tires: Comfort (Medium)
Performance Points: 333
Mileage: 14,961.4 mi.

While Johan and the boys went to work on the Civic, I went to have a word with our driver. I found him off at the edge of the track, suited up and ready for the challenge. Upon approaching him, the wind fell dead and silence enveloped us. Whatever it was I had to say, I forgot. Like an idiot, I just stood there... for what seemed like ages, while our driver just stared off into space. Meanwhile, the respectable replacements managed to massage an extra 9 hp and 12 Performance Points, which work in a manner similar to turn signal fluid. As an added bonus, we also opted for a set of custom Rays Volk Racing CE28N wheels. After all, what Civic would be complete without a set of wheels and an audio system, both costing more than the price of the car itself?
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 87 hp, Max. Torque: 93 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 345 PP

Back in the pits, I asked Johan about his choice of pilots. He tells me that Tommy, apparently that's his name, is a rather gifted genius that has a knack with cars. Johan then tells of how Tommy would stop by the shop on his way home from school, walking around and examining the work being done. Since he never got in any of the mechanic's way, they let him watch while they completed whatever they were working on.

LonelyDriverOfFusterkluc.jpg

Tommy- Lonely Driver of Mt. Fusterkluc, and Johan's Hondura

When Tommy graduated from high school, he stopped by the shop, picked up a few tools lying around, and started working on a car that was waiting in line. For hours, he labored away, never noticed by the mechanics, or by Johan. When he was finished, the shop was closing, and everyone gathered to see what Tommy was tinkering with. As they gathered, Tommy fired up the engine.

Since then, he's worked full time. Johan says he rarely speaks to anyone, and just goes about whatever work is needed that day. When Johan took Tommy to the local drag strip, Tommy took to racing immediately, scrounging enough parts together to qualify for a variety of disciplines at the local amateur level. In fact, Johan says that Tommy's recently purchased a salvaged NSX, and intends on using the car to compete in autocross, drag racing, and drifting.

SpecialStageRoute7-2.jpg

Before we can begin our adventure, we first have to establish our baseline of performance. However, since this week's challenge is a bit more difficult than usual, we've decided to forgo our original Super Secret Raceway X, and instead wire the car with enough electronics to make NASA jealous, although with their current budget you could just as easily accomplish that by purchasing a Garmin GPS.

With the car wired, Tommy and I agreed to launch hard for the data, then sit back and cruise to the finish line. We would start at the Pan-American highway origin, but we don't enjoy the thought of our micro-compact Civic wedged between the tread of some Ice Road Truckers tire. Instead, we chose actual tarmac, and thanks to global warming, in fair but frigid conditions.

Like clockwork, Tommy nails the throttle, propelling the little Civic down the open, straight asphalt ahead, while millions of calculations are recorded about the run. Since we like to be as accurate as possible, Tommy's run is recorded with the heater on, and sans his co-pilot... w-who is o-outsid-de... freezing to d-d-death...

Thankfully, there isn't much to record, and Tommy dutifully returns and picks up my frozen remains. Fast? How's 0:18.511 and a 0-60 mph of 0:11.261 grab you? While it is light, and economical, it's also very, very far removed from anything that could be considered A) fast, or 2) furious.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:46.483, 0-100 mph: 0:34.460, Max. G-Force: 0.41G, Top Speed: 116.9 mph

While I'm thawing, Tommy silently goes about plotting our course, heading south towards the United States. As there is no official U.S. route, we've decided to trace the Pacific Coast Highway. With a light foot, and gentle inputs, I'm soon fast asleep for Tommy's first stint behind the wheel. By the time we reach the border, I should be refreshed and ready.

SpecialStageRoute7_2.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how many red flags one needs in order to understand a bad idea when he sees it. One? Three? Fifteen?

What should have been a pleasurable globe trot soon turned into a nightmare. The sluggish performance should have been a preview to the sluggish craftsmanship, and I do mean sluggish. Before we departed, we spent the extra 5,000 Cr., and opted for the body restoration. Johan doesn't specialize in body work, so we had to send it to another local shop, and were assured that all the previous rust had been removed.

35 miles from the U.S. border, a piece of the suspension breaks, and we're forced to gingerly hobble to the closest gas station. A quick inspection reveals a sheared bolt, as a result of rust. No big deal, a new bolt will solve the problem, right? Well, 5 miles later, the rear bumper falls off, even though the roads remain smooth and free of potholes. Fifteen agonizing minutes after that, and we're forced to call for a tow.

Remember when I mentioned the sluggish build quality? Well, it turns out that these Civics didn't respond very well to areas that use salt as a means of melting snow. Our relative proximity to the ocean further aided nature's cancer, eating the car away within hours. When the tow truck finally did arrive, it found that it only needed to carry back some glass, a few bits of rubber, and four tires.

In the end, Honda really did make it simple.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of GTPlanet.net. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. May cause drowsiness. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Last edited:
1979 Honda Civic 1500

TsukubaCircuit_3.jpg

The car I found came listed with 78hp/333pp, after some tlc she posted 82hp/339pp. I ran her stock at first just to see what I had to work with. I noticed that she had a FF drive train, how convenient seeing as this weeks A-Spec challenge called for just such a ride. That being the case I didn't want to increase the power at all so I could take advantage of the new performance differential PD recently implemented. I installed a 5-speed close ratio gearbox to help her out of the corners and an adjustable suspension to lower her for better handling all around. I finished off with an updated drive train and a shiny set of new rims.

TsukubaCircuit_2.jpg

I finished a lackluster 9th place out at Tsukuba Circuit, posting a best lap of 1:14.225. So it was clear that the old Honda was going to need a litlle more help. I took her back to the shop and opened up the intake and exhaust, this gave her 98hp/360pp. So it was back to the track to see what she could do.
I did manage a 5th place showing this time with a best lap of 1:13.121.

TsukubaCircuit_1.jpg

My times out at the test track were as follows:
...............Stock..........drive train.........intake/exhaust
1/4 mi.....18.274..........18.149............17.071
1.0 mi......47.201..........46.504...........43.572
0-60.......11.669..........10.672............8.987
0-100......37.187..........36.104...........26.741
max. G.....0.41.............0.47..............0.50
max.Spd...115.2...........110.2.............114.4
My best laps out at Deep Forrest were:
1:51.313 / 1:42.660 / 1:40.042
Overall she was a very fun little car to drive, not quite quick enough for the challenge. I was all over my opponents in the corners, but they took me in the straight sections. Surprising performance stock and with very little mods a pretty quick little ride.

TsukubaCircuit.jpg

Ahh, memories. Love this car, first one I ever drove (I was 9, kids were more disposable back then), silver with dark red interior. In high school my friend had a metallic brown one, which was suprisingly fast on the highway. Such a memory trip, I've started looking at used ones.

This car is only two letters away from being a legend. The letters? Try "R" and "M".

Cmon, you know you want one too.

MustangManiac
Well, if nobody posts on this soon I may just have to see how crazy I can make this car!

I did my review over the weekend, don't look at me.

It's because it's a Civic, isn't it?

I am not sure why, maybe something to do with the long holiday weekend also. It's not that bad of a ride for an old 4 banger. Not quite enough oomph for the seasonal as is, but with a mild tune I placed 5th and had plenty of fun and that was giving up 40 to 70 pp to the competition. I bet if I take her up to around 400pp I could probably get a few wins.

1979 Honda Civic 1500 CX

Honda's warm-hatch makes it through the winter of discontent.*

Civic79_CSR5_1.jpg

I admit that I am a bit of a hopeless case when it comes to collecting old cars, so I have three of these in my garage in various states of tune. I used my first one ages ago in a seasonal - Japanese classics? FF? can't remember. What I do remember is that I liked the funky 70s orange, I tuned it to about 140BHP, installed sports suspension and dropped it as low as it would go - and what a good drive it was on the Eiffel kart track.

So with the serendipitous arrival of this COTW and the FF seasonal it was time to hit the track. First I got out my unmolested example and gave it a rebuild, taking it from 78 to 87 BHP, and leaving it on the stock CM tyre took to the Cape Ring Periphery.

The chase is on
Civic79_CapeRingPeriphery_4.jpg

There's not a great deal to say about the stock CX - handles nicely, not too much body roll or pitch, and performance is probably best described as 'adequate'. It is actually quite perky for the sub 90 BHP with the 5 speed 'box keeping you in the useful revs if you change near the red. Obviously its mere 780 Kg is a big advantage on track and this translates into the cars cornering ability. Understeer is quite minimal although it was easy to run wide on the CMs when trying to keep up.

I obviously wasn't expecting to get close to the top, and sure enough finished ninth. I changed the tyres to SH to match the competition and managed sixth, the extra grip virtually eliminating understeer.

How low can you go?
Civic79_CapeRingPeriphery_3.jpg

Next I brought out the 'Sports' tuned CX, removed the mid range turbo to give it 116 BHP and 391pp, swapped the sports suspension for full race and made a basic setup. This car also has window and stage 2 weight reduction for more agility. This is more like it: with the engine worked to stage 1 there are a few more revs on offer and even with my unskilled setup, the car feels well planted with minimal FF understeer. It was good fun on the Cape track with the more powerful opposition pulling away on the S/F straight, a couple of mini battles and I eventually won by 0.5 over a '98 Civic Type R.

Have at you! Nice pass of the Integra
Civic79_CapeRingPeriphery_1.jpg

Finally I took to Trial Mountain for a run in 'Red Devil' - my highly tuned track car. This is 190 BHP, 723Kg and 461pp, with race air and exhaust components, big turbo, race suspension and 'box, diff, plus some rims. The engine here is at stage 2 NA so still more power could be available with further work. The setup is similar to the 'sports' CX but it is a little firmer and has higher gearing.

Previous outing at GVE
__Civic79_Red_GVE_2.jpg

On Sports Hards this car is a blast. Revs come freely and it feels like a sporty Honda, but with that much power on tap it can be a bit of a tyre shredder and power understeer is now prominent. I found I needed to adjust slightly to driving with the LSD and a bit more tweaking is required to get the right balance between grip and cornering, but I thought this was great little track car and I'm sure a better tune(r) could tidy it up.

Trial Mountain after 3 laps came in at 1:46.7, while a comparison time in the stock CX on Sport Hard was 1:57.3.

Seeing red...
__Civic79_Red_GVE_1.jpg

I highly recommend tuning one up perhaps aiming for 400 or 450pp if you are going to use it for pp races. Overall, though, I can't help feeling it punches below it's weight a bit for the pp level; but it is definitely a fun drive, I think it's a cool looking car and I will certainly continue to use mine.

*EDIT: for younger and non-uk readers see Winter of Discontent

EDIT: some rewording for clarity.

Last edited:
I thought it was the "winter of our discount tent." My bad.

Great pics, Woodski. Just make sure you let the reader know if your Stages are for weight or power. I almost got lost.

This car surprised me by how composed this car was when i test drove it on R246. You really didnt feel that you were going slow

Totzke8
This car surprised me by how composed this car was when i test drove it on R246. You really didnt feel that you were going slow

Agreed. It felt more robust than the 117 from a few weeks ago.

Agreed. It felt more robust than the 117 from a few weeks ago.

I thought it felt that way also so I went back and looked at the numbers:
Isuzu...................Honda
114/338..1:43.9 / 78/333..1:51.3
120/344..1:32.2 / 82/339..1:42.6
159/378..1:30.8 / 98/360..1:40.0

Not quite apples to apples, but it's what I have, the pp values are pretty close. The Isuzu was clearly faster, but it looks like the Honda did much more with the horse power she had. The times at the test track were close also, giving a slight edge to the 117.

MustangManiac
I thought it felt that way also so I went back and looked at the numbers:
Isuzu...................Honda
114/338..1:43.9 / 78/333..1:51.3
120/344..1:32.2 / 82/339..1:42.6
159/378..1:30.8 / 98/360..1:40.0

Not quite apples to apples, but it's what I have, the pp values are pretty close. The Isuzu was clearly faster, but it looks like the Honda did much more with the horse power she had. The times at the test track were close also, giving a slight edge to the 117.

I also think the comfort added to 117 killed it. The Civic felt more raw, the 117 refined.

Despite the numbers, the Civic was more fun.

I also think the comfort added to 117 killed it. The Civic felt more raw, the 117 refined.

Despite the numbers, the Civic was more fun.

I agree, I was surprised given its sporty styling that the 117 was sold as a luxury car. I didn't look, but my guess is that it weighed quite a bit more than the Honda. That would probably explain the high pp to hp ratio the Honda has over the 117.

I thought it was the "winter of our discount tent." My bad.

Great pics, Woodski. Just make sure you let the reader know if your Stages are for weight or power. I almost got lost.

Thanks.

Yes, I did it at work on lunch and didn't read through properly. I've reworded some bits to make it more clear (hopefully) 👍

Where is everybody this week? No love for the Civic?:confused:

Latest Posts

Back