**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 6/04/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the Ninth of the weekly series of CAR OF THE WEEK!

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car, give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

This is an experimental idea and the format is subject to change or development. The picking of the cars is still under discussion and any offers of help with this from anyone who has more GTPlanet experience than me (which is pretty much everyone!) would be very much appreciated.

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

After wowing me with some fantastic photos for last weeks car of the week I have asked Jedisteampunk (great name!) to pick this Easter weeks car. It turns out we both watched the same programme on BBC4 about the mental age of group B rallying and so has picked the epic LANCIA DELTA S4 RALLY CAR '85.

lancia2.jpg

So start tearing up the jumps and sliding round the cliff edges at terrifying speeds, just remember to get photos and take a pen & pad!

Excellent choice. Must watch that programme on BBC!

On a related note, if you get a chance buy the other Lancia rally car, the Delta Integrale as it's the best sounding car in the game.

iainn
Excellent choice. Must watch that programme on BBC!

On a related note, if you get a chance buy the other Lancia rally car, the Delta Integrale as it's the best sounding car in the game.

What was the name of the show? I want to see if I can find it on the interwebs.

What was the name of the show? I want to see if I can find it on the interwebs.
Hi guys the name of the documentary was: Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years.
It was only an hour long but had plenty of great footage and was also very informative.

Watched this last night - good documentary. I wish there were more group B cars in gt5 but we still got some of the most iconic...

Sadly I have injured my hand (main reason for not doing the last COTW), but for this one I will at least post some pics of it, as it is a proper rally classic. :dopey:

If anybody is yet to experience this rally icon, I have a spare one available to loan, so if needed just send me a friend request on the psn. Should have some pics up later.

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"What is power without control?" -Keiichi Tsuchiya

Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car

Over the past few weeks, I've been fortunate enough to survive cars possessed by demons and a run in with the mafia. We've entertained supermodels, allegedly transported narcotics, offended the entire nation of Germany... twice, and have been around a track with the Japanese equivalent of God.

So it comes as no surprise, then, that our journalistic integrity has recently come into question. Some ask how we can accurately critique cars loaded with cocaine, while others debate and criticize the data we've acquired because of the less-than-spectacular drivers we've hired. From wankers to Craigslist, tossers to clergy, we've put them all behind the wheel in the hopes of accurately measuring a car's worth.

To set the record straight, this week we'll have none of that. This week we've promised an actual, fact-based car review of a bonafide legend. There will be no shenanigans, no tomfoolery. And to prove our point, we've been given the car that killed Group B, the Lancia Delta S4.

SpecialStageRouteX_6.jpg

In 1986, Group B rallying was more popular than Formula 1. Millions tuned in to watch racers throughout Europe fling their bonkers cars around the tightest of turns, and in some of the most eclectic of conditions. One moment you may find them flying down a stretch of tarmac, the next plowing through the snow.

The appeal of Group B came from the innovation. Other series of the times were restrictive of what could and could not be done with a car, whereas Group B offered more freedom. Space-age materials such as kevlar frequently found their ways into the cars, as did forced induction. Over the 5 years of Group B, the horsepower on tap doubled, producing unbelievably fast cars meant to cross anything in their path as quickly as possible.

Often times, this included the crowd. Or the edge of a mountain.

In fact, the competitive nature of the sport is often blamed for its undoing. What do you expect to happen when you infuse enough money to air condition Hell into a sport? Because of the phenomenal cosmic power in such an itty-bitty living space, cars were frequently difficult to control. The knife edge of performance proving a tricky thing to balance. Get it right, and you're a god among men. Get it wrong, and you're dead.

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
The Delta S4, introduced in autumn of 1985, was the ultimate Group B machine. At first glance it appears to be a Lancia Delta, but the inside of this machine was nothing like the production car, and more like an "F1 road car".

The steel-pipe space frame chassis is mounted with body panels made of lightweight materials such as carbon and kevlar. The weight of the road version is 960 kg, which is unnaturally light weight for a 4WD machine.

Behind the driver's seat is the DOHC 16 valve inline 4 engine mounted in a midship layout, which was highly tuned by Abarth. While the displacement is merely 1759 cc, it is combined with a supercharger and turbocharger. For this reason it can furnish unhesitating power from low to high rpm, and with its boost pressure set to 2.5Bar, the maximum output is 450 HP and maximum torque exceeds 332.7 ft-lb. This astonishing power is transmitted to the full time 4WD system through a 5-speed manual transmission.

Right after its debut, the Delta S4 dominated the 1st and 2nd place in the 1985 RAC Rally, and also showed its overwhelming power with a victory at Monte Carlo in 1986. However, the increased speeds due to the high power engines made the WRC and extremely risky sport, and there was a series of deaths caused by accidents involving spectators, breakdowns and crashes.

As a result, the FIA made a decision to hold the WRC in Group A after 1987. The Delta S4 lost its right to participate, and after only 200 road spec models and 20 Evoluzione competition models were made, its production was ceased.

On May 2, 1986, Henri Toivonen and his co-pilot Sergio Cresto lost their lives in this car. They were leading the Tour de Corse rally even though Henri had a touch of the flu. Despite his condition, Henri climbed into the car, and somehow lost control at one of the course's tight left-handers, plunging off the mountain. No corner workers or officials were on the scene when it happened, the only trace being a giant fireball followed closely by a growing cloud of thick grey smoke.

To get a better perspective of what it's like to put your life on the line, our producer has asked me to take the controls of this week's car, and I've agreed. After all, Toivonen has been compared to Senna, so to understand if I'm capable of their kind of speed, I need to be as committed as they were. To maximize performance is to accept that accidents and injury are likely to occur. It's the ultimate expression of the Samurai mentality- one cannot be afraid of dying if that person already accepts that he or she is already dead.

Also, apparently the insurance pays better on my death than some Tom, Dick or Harry. I say this, so that if something unfortunate actually happens, it'll be easier to prove motive should anyone question the circumstances behind my demise.
Producer
For the last time, I'm not trying to kill you!
Right.
SpecialStageRouteX_5.jpg

Performance as Purchased: December 1, 2010, White (with stickers)
Displacement: 1,759 cc
Max. Power: 435 hp @ 8,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 322 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Drivetrain: 4WD
Length: 3,990 mm Height: 1,360 mm Weight: 890 kg
Tires: Sports (Medium)
Performance Points: 555
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

Despite it's complete lack of mileage, my safety is worth at least some importance. Rally cars of the era required a team of engineers and mechanics to extract the maximum amount of performance, and having spared no expense, we had the same. Delivering the car from our garage was a former Lancia mechanic, although admittedly just a simple dealership technician, named Jean-Carlo.

As luck would have it, the Delta didn't require an engine rebuild, and the chassis was still straight as an arrow, fresh from the factory floor. A quick oil change netted an additional 22 hp, 16 torques, and 7 Performance Points. An astounding bargain compared to the expenses from our previous test cars. Add a wash, and we felt comfortable enough to spend the remainder of our budget on strippers. The best 300 Cr. we've ever spent.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 457 HP, Max. Torque: 338 ft-lb., Performance Points: 562, Cr. Left For Strippers: 250,200

To establish our baseline of performance, we once again visited our hallowed Super Secret Rally X test track. With the revs pegged against the limiter, which incidentally feels like it's somewhere near Jupiter, we launched to 60 mph in 0:02.934, and a 0:10.876 quarter. Vin Diesel, eat your (expletive) heart out- that's (expletive) fast! Much like an F1 car, it exploded off the line in such a manic pace! This car is absolutely mental!
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:28.664, 0-100 mph: 0.06.338, Max. G-Force: 1.17G, Top Speed: 156.4 mph

Where was this thing last week!? Had we a car like this, we'd also have a priest and a rabbi in the Mid Night Club, and a much better resume. The top speed was only limited by the gearing, which suits rally racing fine, but the combination of double forced-induction would've put those two into elite status.

Instead of a cell. And the morgue.

With initial testing out of the way, we felt it only fitting that we should host our own mini rally. Of course, when I say "we", I actually mean me, as even our photographers have refused to be near the track when I'm on it. Looking at the fine print of our health insurance policy, I'm not really sure I would either.

CtedAzur_1.jpg

First up was the tight and twisty Principality of Monaco. Strapped in, the sheer madness of such acceleration is only equaled by the lunacy required to get a fast lap around this place. Here, the rule is: if you don't have a wall flying towards your face at 100 mph, you're still too slow. Passing on such a twisty track requires The Force, and I'm nowhere near a Jedi. I'm four hundredths short of falling under the 1:40s, and in desperate need of a new suit.

And a new seat.

During our laps at Monaco, Jean-Carlo was my co-pilot. Despite the obvious language barrier, I found that none of that mattered, as he was quickly turned into a sobbing little girl. Shrieks of terror threatened to drown out the engine on the straights, and the G-forces of the turns drenched my eyes with his tears. When we reached the pits, our young mechanic had developed a case of nausea, and grey hair.

CircuitodeMadrid_1.jpg

Next stop: Madrid, Spain. With its extra straights, it's nice to stretch the legs of the Delta. Still, it's not long before another tight bend approaches, and I have to fight sheer panic just to make it through. Unlike racers of the era, I don't have people lining the streets, as they'd all be dead by now. With precise inputs and increasing horror, I manage to lay down a 1:27.896. The car is fast, but can easily be overwhelming. Jean-Carlo- still no help. I might as well have Helen Keller by my side. At least this time he's not crying.

At times, the movement of the car can be rather awkward and unsettling. Once you've got it sideways, there's no room for correction. You've got to have the samurai mentality- you're going to get hurt. Badly. I can't imagine what this would've been like while trying to avoid spectators, especially the ones that try to touch the car as it speeds by.

Fanatic.

ToscanaTarmac_2.jpg

Our producer chose Mt. Fusterkluc as our final stage. Reluctantly, I strapped myself snug into the seat, and launched the car towards my impending doom. It didn't take long, as only three turns in and I had managed to plow the car into the guardrail. I can't say I didn't see that one coming, which is sad considering I've had previous experience at this track.

Going into the third turn, I missed my braking point and couldn't recover. Paramedics quickly arrived on the scene, and thankfully I was mostly unharmed. Which is more than I can say for a few poor fellows that weren't quite so lucky. The car was designed with its fuel tanks directly underneath the driver, and enough kevlar surrounding it to complicate matters further. It's like wrapping a match in toilet paper.

2j3mcgj.jpg

Originally, we had set out to do a fact-based critique of a rally legend. The car that killed its driver, its co-pilot, and its class in motorsport. Perhaps Henri Toivonen wasn't the safest driver, but he was often cited as the only man who could tame the Delta S4. Without having seen it, I can only attest to my lack of ability, and I have the hospital bills to prove it.

Also, in a rather odd twist of events, what was once the cheapest test has now become our most expensive. We started with a meager 300 Cr. investment, and ended up with a million Credit liability. And who knows how much more the total will actually be, as I still have many more months left of rehabilitation and recovery.

So what is it about cars that makes me want to risk my life? How does someone like Wheldon, Senna, Toivonen, Ascari, Earnhardt or McRae justify what they did? Well, the fact of the matter is, I can't tell you...

...but I can show you.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Simpson. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All your base are belong to us. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.
Ed Note: R.I.P. Henri Toivonen (8/25/56 - 3/2/86), Sergio Cresto (1/19/56 - 5/2/86), and Ferdinand Alexander Porsche (12/11/35 - 4/5/12)

Last edited:
LANCIA DELTA S4 RALLY CAR '85.
“A Formula 1 car for the Forests.”

“It's like riding on a bullet.” Walter Röhrl.

EigerNordwandTOIVONEN.jpg

In the mid 1980’s rallying became more popular than Formula 1. Rules were changed to allow manufacturers to create even more powerful cars. Known as Group B Cars, they unleashed previously unseen power into the World Rally Championship.

The new Group B rules allowed the manufacturers to leave behind the standard production models and design their rally cars starting from a clean sheet of paper. Exotic materials, cleverer aerodynamics and unlimited power could be added to the cars that would then be known as “Evolutions”. A new breed of monster car had arrived.

First out of the blocks was Lancia with the 2 wheel drive 037 Rally, but they had backed the wrong technology, and a German company called Audi was about to change the face of rallying forever with its introduction of the Quattro making 2 wheel drive obsolete. Stig- Blomqvist couldn’t believe the difference between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel – drive. He said the difference was like “night and day”. With the promise of 370 BHP and 4 wheel drive technology Audi wooed the best drivers. They had revolutionised the sport, and had outsmarted the opposition. Audi claimed the driver’s world title in the first 2 years of Group B. The Audi Quattro would become an iconic car of the 1980’s, entirely due to its rallying success.

By May 1985 Lancia hadn’t won a rally for a year, down to the domination of Audi and the Peugeot T16 (but that car is another story for another time). 1986 would be a critical year and nobody was prepared for what Lancia were about to unleash - a brutal mid engined, turbocharged, supercharged 4 wheel drive machine called the Delta S4.
Lancia chose to cram in all of the technology into the back of the car, and to place the driver and co-driver on top of the fuel tanks. They coupled this machine with the upcoming talented new driver Henri Toivonen. Together they were poised to win the 1986 championship.
After a series of fatal accidents in Portugal the writing was on the wall for the Group B cars. At the Corsica Rally it was Toivonen’s chance to shine and at the end of the first day he was ahead of the second place car by almost 2 minutes, and by the end of stage 5 on the second day was a minute quicker than anybody else, but there was a problem, Toivonen had complained of having flu like symptoms - he was not well. Then tragedy struck. His car left the road and became tangled in the trees, instantaneously it was engulfed in flames. Toivonen and his co-driver Sergio Cresto were burnt alive. It was almost 20 minutes before help arrived.
The then controversial president of FISA, Jean-Marie Balestre announced a ban, and Group B was no more.
Some of the cars got a second chance and went on to race in the Pikes Peak event, particularly Audi, who with Walter Rorhl at the wheel won the event in 1987.

The Lancia Delta S4 was made up of a tubular space frame construction. The engine was a 2ltr, 4 cylinder turbocharged and supercharged brute. Depending on boost pressures it could achieve between 380 – 460 BHP. In GT5 driving the car may not for many seem all that special, but for those of us who know the story of this car, it is a truly legendary machine that deserves its place in any serious car collection.
I would like to thank you for reading this brief potted history of Group B and that of the Lancia Delta S4, and here’s to the next Car of the Week, whatever that maybe.

Here's a quick slide show that I have made. I only added it because I wanted to hear the old Rally Report BBC Theme again, the slide show itself is nothing special.​

Toscana_34final.jpg

ChamonixWest.jpg

Chamonix-Main_5.jpg

EigerNordwandShortTrack_10.jpg

EigerNordwandShortTrack_1-2.jpg

Toscana_21.jpg

open-uri20110920-25868-iy6g9u.jpg

Lancia-Delta-S1-F-Tabaton-1986.jpg

Last edited:
I see others have been hard at work too. Mine's done, if you've made it this far by not seeing it above.

Also, I did manage to catch Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years, and found it here. Fantastic documentary!

A great review McClarenDesign, I just wish that I could write as creatively as you.
I'm glad you got to see the documentary, it is definitely worth a watch.
And good work with the pictures, its not an easy car to get to look nice, what with all those jaggies.

Someone please, please, PLEASE, tell me why I have never known of this Car of the Week series before. Perhaps I was in a coma for the past 9 weeks.

Ah, the Delta S4... what an amazing yet downright stupid car at the same time. I watched the BBC FOUR documentary with my dad, and I was speechless. My dad used to watch Group B rallying in the 80's, but he was never stupid enough to stand in the way of the cars. Like many of you have said, Group B was far more popular than Formula 1. It became a competiton of sheer power, the drivers were hungry for the title, and if they made a rally weekend without being injured or killed, they considered themselves invinsible. Group B, in my opinion, is by far the most legendary motorsport that ever was. You really needed some big nads to take part in it. Mind you, there was Michéle Mouton - who very nearly almost won the championship in 1982 if it wasn't for a mechanical problem on the last stage. She came a very close second to Walter Röhrl.

The very unfortunate event of Henri Toivenen was very tragic indeed - you guys who watched the documentary will know that it was 30 minutes before anybody arrived at the scene, by that time all that was left was the burned out shell of what used to be a Delta S4.

But enough of the negative stuff - all in all, Group B was amazing, and so was the Lancia. A very well deserved feature, and very good reviews! 👍

Someone please, please, PLEASE, tell me why I have never known of this Car of the Week series before. Perhaps I was in a coma for the past 9 weeks.

Links to previous weeks can be found at the bottom of my review. Check out what you've missed, and feel free to contribute. Just because the week is over doesn't mean you can't throw your 2 cents in.

dammit you've made me want to dig this out and give it a spin, i won it last year in a birthday ticket but never got chance to try it out.

jedisteampunk
I'm glad that people are enjoying this legendary car as much as I do.

Would've enjoyed it more had I the time. Week isn't over yet. May host a Delta room later tonight if there's enough interest.

Anyone else bothered by the Martini logo? I know kids play this game, but I think the censorship is a bit silly.

I'll gladly pay double the asking price for a Marlboro McLaren!

Back