Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
Supra Poopra Scoopra
A mildly serious review of the Toyota GR Supra GR.4 by MrWaflz55

C5EA6E76-73B3-4761-AF4A-0910DB842923.jpeg

So, the new Supra. Love it or hate it, it’s become a widespread part of car culture now. While some nerds on the internet debate whether the car is a Z4 or not, Toyota’s racing arm Gazoo has been hard at work tuning a competition-spec version for use in FIA GT4. Finally, the fruits of their labour have NOT landed in the world of Gran Turismo because this isn’t the GT4 version. Nope, what you received for bullcraping your way through a boring survey is the road car with a go-faster body kit. So how well does this upgrade allow the Supra to compete at a GT4 level?

Pretty well I might say. Aside from the mildly problematic instability under braking which makes it somewhat harder to trailbrake with, the car does what it’s told quite well. A carry-over from the road car is a tendency to get a little tail-happy, but only in specific situations. This leads to the car feeling much more dynamic than the Aston Gr.4 we looked at earlier which felt like it was on rails. Overall, this might be one of the most fun Gr.4 cars to drive, not necessarily the fastest though. I could honestly do spec racing with this one all day and never get bored.

But the big, leather-clad elephant in the room here is quite obviously the incredibly immersion-shattering road car interior. No bucket seats, no racing harness, no racing wheel, no roll cage, no extinguisher. But it has cupholders though!

On the exterior, it certainly looks the part with a handsome body-kit that compliments the base model well. Sound from the throaty BMW engine gives a nice grumble up the revs.

Overall, it’s a fun and mostly easy drive paired with the frustration of a strange interior view. Which makes me want to give this one a Neutral verdict. Not necessarily a beater due to the enjoyable ride, but let down by a lack of detail.

Verdict: Buy a Renault Megane Trophy
(What’s it still doing in Gr.4?)

Last edited:
If you have a Gr.1 car, do GT League Professional Gr.1 Monza or Yamagiwa for under 10 minutes= 330k. No need to upgrade the car. Just use Softs.
Thank you!

Toyota Supra GR (GR.4)

IMG_20191220_130037782.jpg

I have to start by saying I don't really like Gr. cars and don't fully understand the reason for them. Essentially they seem to be 4 racing "levels", Gr.1 being full on race car and Gr.4 being the least modded but still significantly quicker.

So. We all know about the huge buzz the new Supra GR created, how it may or may not be a BMW in disguise, etc. Everyone has their own take on the new Supra and I respect all of them.
To me personally I think the new Supra is a mixed bag, and I'd give the road car i own in the picture above a beater status based on my own take on the car. It's too much BMW for me, and it doesn't feel as fast as it should considering the engine is severely underrated - but even the road car is very quick for an N300, top of it's class for sure.
Additionally, I don't like that it doesn't have a manual transmission option. That being said, the road car is competent enough for it's class and a huge killer in N300. Additionally it IS loads better than the 90s Supra RZ Twin Turbo, but that's not saying much since that car died years ago.

Now we have the beautiful livery and the extra power and better rubber that this Gr car brings to the table. I compared the Gr.4 GR to the stock GR.
Definitely a faster, more balanced car. It basically is what it says it is - a souped up or BPU Supra GR, and it gets the job done. It wouldn't be my first choice for a Gr. 4 car, but that doesnt mean other drivers won't find it useful. I enjoyed the tight suspension and roadfeel it has over the road car, but part of the fun can be almost spinning out, which the normal GR can do.

All in all I have to give this car a Neutral.
There's not much more I can say about it. It gets the job done, it's just not for me. I'd say there's better options as @MrWaflz55 said.

Last edited:
Short and sweet pre-"review" before next week's GR.4 Daily Races.

Stops, corners and has a great cockpit view (HUD on windscreen, rearview and driver's side mirrors are perfectly positioned.).

Off throttle tuck in, early throttle application out of corners and change of direction are a breeze. I was still adapting to how deep this car can brake before a corner. I feel it's the best GR.4 in that contest. Only thing is the window for slight snap oversteer. It's catchable/controllable. Just at a point where it may or may not happen.

I really can't call it. I'll need a Daily Race C or FIA tyre/fuel wear event to determine if it's beater or sleeper. It's a keeper for me and the only GR.4 in my garage, until the official GT4 possibly arrives.

Short and sweet pre-"review" before next week's GR.4 Daily Races.

Stops, corners and has a great cockpit view (HUD on windscreen, rearview and driver's side mirrors are perfectly positioned.).

Off throttle tuck in, early throttle application out of corners and change of direction are a breeze. I was still adapting to how deep this car can brake before a corner. I feel it's the best GR.4 in that contest. Only thing is the window for slight snap oversteer. It's catchable/controllable. Just at a point where it may or may not happen.

I really can't call it. I'll need a Daily Race C or FIA tyre/fuel wear event to determine if it's beater or sleeper. It's a keeper for me and the only GR.4 in my garage, until the official GT4 possibly arrives.

Great review, on point.
Can you recommend any particular Gr.1 car that's "better" than the others ?

Great review, on point.
Can you recommend any particular Gr.1 car that's "better" than the others ?
I'm totally out of the norm in this class. No matter the race, I stick to the TS050 for the modern cars. I believe the 919 and R15 have the best strengths of speed and handling over the frugal TS050.
I have used the Peugeot Prototype(not VGT) in one FIA race. Was highly competitive at Lago versus fast players in the 919 and Audis.
May be worth a review from players, that use the modern Gr.1 cars more than me.

Now, for the Group C classics, I recommend the C9. With BOP On, the 962C is more competitive. Handles excellent and best view from the cockpit. For pure joy behind the wheel, 787B needs earplugs. Glorious thing to use anytime.

The Tomahwak. Enough said.

As far as "real" Gr.1 cars, the R18 or 919 is always a safe bet.

I personally love the R92CP because of it's Group C turbo brutality plus I can drive it H pattern.

Thank you! Unfortunately i didn't see this and went with the Bugatti VGT Gr.1 ..... I hope i didn't make a million dollar mistake!!!

Thank you to both of you. And Merry Christmas!

Thank you! Unfortunately i didn't see this and went with the Bugatti VGT Gr.1 ..... I hope i didn't make a million dollar mistake!!! Thank you to both of you. And Merry Christmas!

Well, I got my only GR.1 Sport mode win in the Bugatti...however I find the Tomahawk is a lot easier to drive.

Well, I got my only GR.1 Sport mode win in the Bugatti...however I find the Tomahawk is a lot easier to drive.

I just drove the VGT Tomahawk, it makes the Bugatti look like trash, but my Tomahak can only be used in VGT races its not a Gr.1. I always get ****** cars on my dailies too it sucks lol.

I'm giving the Bugatti VGT Gr.1 a straight beater status, and the SRT Tomahawk is one of the best driving cars in the game. I maxed out the Bugatti in Power and Weight, put soft tires, and STILL came in second to the SRT.

Are there two versions of the SRT? And which race do you mean, for some reason the most I can get single race is $220k in Professional. And I loathe endurance racing.

Honestly I dislike all the Gr. cars, I don't get why GTS had to do that. I'm one of those annoying people who like production cars the most, I mostly play around in N300-1000.

I love COTW and wish it would never end. I dont know what car to vote for!

Are there two versions of the SRT? And which race do you mean, for some reason the most I can get single race is $220k in Professional. And I loathe endurance racing.

There is a Gr.1 version of the Tomahawk. It's the far right one in the Vision Gran Turismo section of the Dodge dealership.

The win in the Bugatti I was referring to was for an online Sport race. That was long ago when they first started having Gr.1 in the daily (now weekly) Race C.

There is a Gr.1 version of the Tomahawk. It's the far right one in the Vision Gran Turismo section of the Dodge dealership.

The win in the Bugatti I was referring to was for an online Sport race. That was long ago when they first started having Gr.1 in the daily (now weekly) Race C.

No I think its impressive you won with the Bugatti. It's not a bad car per se, just not for me. Especially when I'm just trying to rack up quick cash. More skilled drivers like you may love it :)

I see players use the Audi VGT GR.1 as well. I had one once and detuned it in a Gr.2 Custom Race. Looks more like a DTM racer than something versus prototypes.

Merry Christmas to both of you! I actually made the Bugatti work, racked up a mil, bought the Tomahawk and found the race @05XR8 was talking about
No more money problems for me! $220k per win probably more if i didn't drive like a disrespectful bastard!

Cheers!

I have to start by saying I don't really like Gr. cars and don't fully understand the reason for them. Essentially they seem to be 4 racing "levels", Gr.1 being full on race car and Gr.4 being the least modded but still significantly quicker.
Gr. 4 = GT4
Gr. 3 = GT3
Gr. 2 = Class One/GT500
Gr. 1 = Effectively LMP1 but they've shoved other cars in there to flesh the class out a bit more.

All the Gr. * classes represent real classes of racing cars.

Gr. 4 = GT4
Gr. 3 = GT3
Gr. 2 = Class One/GT500
Gr. 1 = Effectively LMP1 but they've shoved other cars in there to flesh the class out a bit more.

All the Gr. * classes represent real classes of racing cars.

Thank you! Ok did NOT get they were real classes. That clears things up!

I hope everyone had an awesome Christmas with their families, friends, and those important to them!

Remember to get your votes in for Car Of The Year!! There's a few very interesting cars being nominated, don't miss out on throwing your top picks in the ring!

How much longer do we have and we put our votes into your private inbox correct?

As much as I want to nominate the GTO, I tested it against every single N300... It does surprisingly well, easily beating a few on the top end and a few from the launch. It's purely mid tier in N300 if left untouched.

However, you can emulate the 2nd gen GTO fairly well. It came stock with 320hp/315tq.
Put the power at 321HP, weight at 3710lbs and switch the FD ratio to 3.871 and copy the second gens gearing (40/69/106/143/whatever top speed you want) its almost N400 worthy, it gaps all it's competition until 155-160mph.
As I thought, the weakest JDM "legend" is the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. I gave it 303HP and also copied the US gearing and it loses easily to it's competition. To me the Z is a total beater and pretty useless, but I'm sure many feel the same about the GTO.

Videos:

The above is stock to stock. The Z doesn't pass until 123mph, and the GTO reels it in and passes. Obviously the Z can do the same.

The above is my 2G GTO conversion vs the Z which has over 300HP and the same gearing as the US model. Using a stock Z against the 2G conversion is purely unfair.

For my conversion I put weight at 3,710 lbs. HP at 321. Top Speed Auto Set at 149mph.

1st: 47mph (2.922, US model 40mph)
2nd: 69 mph (1.997, same as US model)
3rd: 106mph (1.279, same as US model)
4th: 136mph (1.017, US model 143mph)
5th: 168mph (0.846, US model is a 6 speed)
Final Gear: 3.871 (Same as US model)

As you can see, you can basically make a 2G GTO, if only there was a six speed option! For those curious, the US gearing is 40/69/106/143/155/159(OD), Top Speed 165mph.

Too much info! Sorry guys. Anyways, do I inbox you?

Last edited:
Next FIA Nations race is at Spa, 8:15AM. 11 LAPS, Fuel/Tyre wear are 5x/7x. RH-RS tyres.
Should finally be able to gauge its performance.
I gave it a go at the recent Gr.4 Daily Race at Bathurst, and it was pretty stink. Meganes flew past on the straights, and in the corners it didnt gain enough ground to make it worthwhile. Do let me know how you get on if you choose to try it out!

I gave it a go at the recent Gr.4 Daily Race at Bathurst, and it was pretty stink. Meganes flew past on the straights, and in the corners it didnt gain enough ground to make it worthwhile. Do let me know how you get on if you choose to try it out!
Oh, I'm using it tonight for sure.

I agree with your post. No way would I sugar coat its performance versus the Meganes. Also tip toeing across the top.

A Supra was in the Nation's top 10 for a little bit. I made in the top 10 for a full day. :) My time is 2:26.764 on RS. The 10th spot is on a 2:25.236, in an RC F. Most of the 10 are using the F-Type. Qualy will be interesting with not alot of time.

Won't be setting the speed traps alight, but it's real smooth at Spa. Nothing like at Bathurst.

FIA Races move to Tuesdays? This is not good. This is not right.
Nations on Tuesday and Saturday. Manufacturers on Wednesday and Sunday.

On the one hand, good, can now focus on one race per night, but on the other hand, assuming you're doing both series, you're now racing four nights a week.

Back