Career discussion

• Thread starter crowhop
  • 1,273 comments
United States
Upstate SC, USA
GTP_crowhop
Here is the link discussing the career on the official site...
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/career.html

My gaming experience has been primarily in GT5 and 6.
I'm familiar enough with iRacing to know it doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't have any "offline" racing.
I almost purchased Grid Autosport, but held off because it did not offer the quality feel of GT, but I was drawn to the Career aspect of it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems Project Cars "Career" is a lot like Autosport. Obviously the quality feel and look is excellent.

Does anyone have any insight on the Career offerings within PCars? Is it as immersive as I want it to be? Is it like GT6, just leveling up, but not really getting deep at all?

I think it will be loads better than GA's career. It wasn't terrible, was sort of fun, but I had to quit playing that game for the horrendous AI. Absolutely abysmal. From what I have seen and read, PCars career takes me back to the TOCA days and how those could have eventually turned out if a good company would have stuck with that series and done it correctly.

It's not a just levelling up kind of thing. The career is dynamic in that opportunities arise as a result of your performance; do well and you get attractive offers from new teams an series. Your career path is not fixed and you can choose what to do next within the constraints of the offers you've got and the race calendar. There are some pure immersion elements like e-mail, fan tweets (edit: ) and news items.

Somebody else may be able to fill you in with more detail. I'm sort of saving the career for launch since that's where I'll spend much of my time...

Last edited:
I think it will be loads better than GA's career. It wasn't terrible, was sort of fun, but I had to quit playing that game for the horrendous AI. Absolutely abysmal. From what I have seen and read, PCars career takes me back to the TOCA days and how those could have eventually turned out if a good company would have stuck with that series and done it correctly.
To me it seemed GA was very Series-centric. I'm hopeful PCars will take that and run with it. Seems that is the case.

I love the idea of the advancement through the Series. I've seen that you can freely pick and choose where to begin. I like that. I'll probably still start in the Karts, but having the option is great.

Questions I have:
Are race weekends customizable?
Do they all consist of Practice/Qualify/Race? Can we toggle that off or on?
Are race distances changeable?

I'm most excited about the Career mode possibilities. I'm hoping it can keep me entertained for 2 years...or more.
Really, the Online and Solo Options seem pretty comprehensive, so I doubt I would ever get bored, but the sense of accomplishment in the RPG elements of the game are a big draw.

Questions I have:
Are race weekends customizable?
Are you thinking about the "Quick Race Weekend" game mode, or the career?

For Quick Race Weekends you can set up pretty much everything within the Practice1/Practice2/Qualify/Warmup/Race1/Race2 format. You can drive, skip or simulate any of the session. Race conditions and pit strategy can be set up to your liking. The races in the career mode can be set up in a similar way.

Do they all consist of Practice/Qualify/Race? Can we toggle that off or on?
Yes, there's a full Practice/Qualify/Race1/Race2 format.
Each session can be driven skipped or simulated etc. - pretty much the same features as for the Quick Race Weekend.

Are race distances changeable?
Yes, you can set the number of laps within a reasonable range in both QRW and career.

The races in the career mode can be set up in a similar way.
This is it. Just curious if Career Mode will have similar options to Solo Mode, within reason.
My primary question goes back to how GT6 is with its 5 Lap races grouped in batches of 4 or 5 tracks and called a "Championship Series".

I want a "Series" to be over 10 tracks (or more) with races lasting an hour each (or more) with Tire Wear and Fuel Consumption and Pit Strategy and random weather with competitive AI in like cars. I'm not asking (hoping) for much. :sly:

Hehe... well a racing simulation should simulate racing, so it's not that unreasonable. I haven't played a full series yet, so I don't have all the details on that. But weather, pits, wear and fuel is in.

I want a "Series" to be over 10 tracks (or more)
Amen my friend. We want real, long championships with multiple races, where every point matters and in each race the player must decide if he will be aggressive or if he will be conservative in order to secure points and stay in contention for the title. This is what the career mode in racing games should be about, not the bs that we see in Forza.

Somebody else may be able to fill you in with more detail. I'm sort of saving the career for launch since that's where I'll spend much of my time...
Same here, I have been playing hotlaps/quick races against the AI mostly. Wanted to be sure the career is all done and finetuned before I start it. :)

I know it's a bit offtopic but...

One of the best career mode of all times in a racing game was the Sega's AyrtonSenna game on the Mega Drive. My goal always been the Firenze team, that looks like the Ferrari.

career mode is similar to that of toca.
Currently you don't have to start in karts so i generally start in formula ford or ginetta.
To explain the way career works, we will use gt3 cars.
You will start of in a regional series for instance i normally pick british gt3. you then will have in your first season normally 3 offers each one is a different car.
You complete that season then if you do well you may well get other offers for teams. you may then be able to get into a european series. If you do well then you may get offers for a world gt3 series. There are also invitation events for some of the classic a vehicles.

career mode is similar to that of toca.
Currently you don't have to start in karts so i generally start in formula ford or ginetta.
To explain the way career works, we will use gt3 cars.
You will start of in a regional series for instance i normally pick british gt3. you then will have in your first season normally 3 offers each one is a different car.
You complete that season then if you do well you may well get other offers for teams. you may then be able to get into a european series. If you do well then you may get offers for a world gt3 series. There are also invitation events for some of the classic a vehicles.
Thanks. How many races does the world GT3 series have in the game?

It's not a just levelling up kind of thing. The career is dynamic in that opportunities arise as a result of your performance; do well and you get attractive offers from new teams an series. Your career path is not fixed and you can choose what to do next within the constraints of the offers you've got and the race calendar. There are some pure immersion elements like e-mail, fan tweets (edit: ) and news items.

Now I'm in love.

So, if we're able to race what type of car we want when we want, what's there to strive for? Am I missing something here?
You possibly missed "you can do what you want within the constraints of the offers you've got and the race calendar". So you'll have to abide by what happens in your virtual career. You strive for advancing your career by racing well. As rewards you get to drive higher series and cars (unless you want to e.g. stay in a series to hone your skills which is also possible), and you get accolades and trophies. You can start you career where you like though, so in this sense you choose the "reach" of the career gameplay.

Last edited:
You possibly missed "you can do what you want within the constraints of the offers you've got and the race calendar". So you'll have to abide by what happens in your virtual career. You strive for advancing your career by racing well. As rewards you get to drive higher series and cars (unless you want to e.g. stay in a series to hone your skills which is also possible), and you get accolades and trophies. You can start you career where you like though, so in this sense you choose the "reach" of the career gameplay.
There it was! Thank you, that sounds great!

If you are an average driver, do you get offers to drive for average teams/cars or are all teams/cars equal versus someone who wins the Championship?

If I dominate the Karting Series will I get better offers than if I am just ok? Or is it just about moving to different Series/Disciplines?

Can you be fired if you are no good and have to move back down the ranks?

Last edited:
Is the "no restarts" career play possible? This would be the ultimate challenge: full damage, wear and no possible restart. Wrecked your car? Better luck on the next race if you get to keep you job...

BTW, is there any sort of Grosjean achievement?

If you are an average driver, do you get offers to drive for average teams/cars or are all teams/cars equal versus someone who wins the Championship?

If I dominate the Karting Series will I get better offers than if I am just ok? Or is it just about moving to different Series/Disciplines?

Can you be fired if you are no good and have to move back down the ranks?

Yes, some teams have more reliability or performance, or better setting up of cars.

If you dominate one series, you could end up with offers from top teams in the next tier or middle to low teams in tier above that (ie, tier 3 from tier 1).

I don't think you can be fired for poor performance, but you can if you have too many collisions, penalties or excursions off road.

I keep hearing teams. What kind of teams, real Sponsored teams like Joest, or fantasy ones? Is there a Ravenwest-like team? One with the best of everything?

Yes, some teams have more reliability or performance, or better setting up of cars.

If you dominate one series, you could end up with offers from top teams in the next tier or middle to low teams in tier above that (ie, tier 3 from tier 1).

I don't think you can be fired for poor performance, but you can if you have too many collisions, penalties or excursions off road.
Is this for real? Sounds too good to be true, in some ways.

As for the Tuning, will they handle that for me? How much input will I need to add? Hopefully not much...

A quick question which may of been asked and answered already but do certain cars have specific strengths and weaknesses ie say the Ruf gt3 maybe is a generally quicker car through technical sections of track but then looses out slightly on straight line speed to say the Merc SLS Gt3 . And are some cars slightly easier on the tyres and fuel consumption ?

The more I hear about this game, the more impatient I get!!

Sounds like the game we've all been waiting and waiting and waiting for.

Is this for real? Sounds too good to be true, in some ways.

As for the Tuning, will they handle that for me? How much input will I need to add? Hopefully not much...

Some teams will only allow fuel level setting, others will give you a bit more input, say aero or small suspension settings, others will give you full control. Your team mechanic will also help you with a lot of the settings if you want him to.

Some teams will only allow fuel level setting, others will give you a bit more input, say aero or small suspension settings, others will give you full control. Your team mechanic will also help you with a lot of the settings if you want him to.

I haven't tested career mode in a long time. Are these features already implemented into the game?

Back