Cars You Would Never Buy For Any Price

I’m sorry, but I can’t... too overrated:
upload_2018-6-24_22-15-41.jpeg

I know opinions are subjective, but how can someone possibly turn down one of Toyota's most renowned vehicles even at the most discounted of prices?
Too much attention wherever you drive. I bet there will be a lot of others who will want to race you and others that want to talk trash about your car just because of how popular it is on the internet and how their car is better than yours. The Mark 4 Toyota Supra with a 2JZ is a descent car stock. It is not the best performing but it’s descent compared to other sports cars bea cause it is pretty heavy. I’ve heard that they can be very unreliable when modified to 1000+hp. I just can’t see me driving a car that gets so much attention for the wrong reasons IMO. From what I see (this is just from my perception pls understand) people love this car so much only because of the F & F movie, and the 2JZ engine’s potential. I’m sure part of it is nostalgia but I only see people liking the car because it has that can have enough boost to make 1000hp.

This thread has me thinking about what cars I wouldn't take if they were free. And honestly, I'd take anything that was reliable and usable as a daily driver if it was free, as long as it wasn't so hateful that I could stand to drive it. I'd also take anything fun or interesting enough to make up for a lack of reliability. So what doesn't make the cut? Well I can think of a few Chrysler products:

upload_2018-6-25_7-49-0.png

upload_2018-6-25_7-49-28.png

I'm also not sure I could live with a Corsa D, they're fairly reliable but they're awful to drive.

Too much attention wherever you drive. I bet there will be a lot of others who will want to race you and others that want to talk trash about your car just because of how popular it is on the internet and how their car is better than yours. The Mark 4 Toyota Supra with a 2JZ is a descent car stock. It is not the best performing but it’s descent compared to other sports cars bea cause it is pretty heavy. I’ve heard that they can be very unreliable when modified to 1000+hp. I just can’t see me driving a car that gets so much attention for the wrong reasons IMO. From what I see (this is just from my perception pls understand) people love this car so much only because of the F & F movie, and the 2JZ engine’s potential. I’m sure part of it is nostalgia but I only see people liking the car because it has that can have enough boost to make 1000hp.
Err, Supra’s are probably the most reliable platform to build 1,000hp out of; the Supra Nationals/TX2K has shown that for years. The bottom end is capable of around 700-800hp on stock internals. The only other platforms now exceeding it are the GTRs and Lamborghini V10s.

If anything, most people will probably hound you with sheer fanboyism than talk trash. It’s a car that can give off Ferrari vibes of being eventually being annoyed with all the questions you’ll get. I’d reckon that’s more reason to not buy one than the occasional person who may want to race; you’ll get that in almost any popular performance car.

Here's one for me: a third-generation Chevrolet Cavalier. You couldn't even pay me to drive one of these.
They actually aren't bad for a cheap beater. I bought a 2003 Cavalier for $500 and it was incredibly reliable, I got 8 months out of it before I had to scrap it due to frame rust from Nova Scotia winters. The engine is dependable and quite powerful compared to other early 2000s economy cars and has something like 140hp and ~150 lb/ft of torque. Even the automatic transmission is pretty decent for its age and is also known to be quite reliable. The handling is boring but it's no worse than most other economy cars.

I don't really want to buy another one but I was really happy with mine for the price and if I ever needed a $500 beater for a few months for some reason I'd probably just get another Cavalier because of how cheap they are to buy and keep running. Don't get me wrong, they're cheap and crappy cars in every sense of the word and the interiors are ghastly, but they're really reliable so I can't put it below cars that are cheap, crappy, and unreliable (or expensive, crappy, and unreliable).

My answer is along the same lines as what @Beeblebrox237 mentioned, there's some truly wretched 2000-2010ish Chrysler products out there that I'd avoid at all costs. I'd buy another 3rd gen Cavalier in a heartbeat over a Dodge Avenger or a Dodge Journey. The Journey in particular is probably my #1 answer. It's a huge pig of a vehicle that isn't actually all that big inside for how bad the fuel economy is, they're insanely unreliable because they're so underbuilt for how heavy they are, and for the same reason they suffer from tons of transmission issues.

I understand why people buy them, they're an exceptionally good value for how practical they can be and you get a lot of car for a much lower price than its competitors and they occupy a bit of a niche between the size of a Rav4/Escape and a full size SUV, but I still think most people would be better off with an older used Sienna/Odyssey if they need a family hauler, and if they don't need the 3rd row seating I can't imagine choosing it over basically anything in the Rav4/Escape/Equinox/CR-V class even if you're going with a Rav4 that's a few years older.

Last edited:
I would never want to be seen in this thing:
PeroduaKelisa_794_529_70.jpg

That thing
cityrover-56840ee00ffe2.jpg

And certainly not this thing
rover-100-1997-14422492-1_800X600.jpg

Perodua Kelisa
City Rover
Rover Metro/100

Last edited:
[...]I’ve heard that they can be very unreliable when modified to 1000+hp.[...]

What kind of an argument is that? Basically any car almost tripled it's power is going to be somewhat unreliable, unless specifically build for the purpose of having this much power. Not to mention the hassle to get to these kinds of power levels, you're going to have to build the entire engine (on basically any car) in order get this much power out of it. You can't just turn the magical "boost knob" and expect to make 1000+ hp.

For me personally, I love the Supra not because of the F & F movies, but most importantly because it's out of an era of japanese cars/engineering that is truly iconic and has produced the cars, that so many people know, appreciate and love. You could sell a Supra, but especially cars like a RX7 today, and it'll still look the part.

But again, like @Turbo said, it's subjective, but I just had to point out that stupendous argument.

I get not liking a car on principle, believe me, I get it. It's acceptable reasoning to not want to buy a car new and/or for a price that is reasonable from a market value perspective, but, as has been cited previously, not being willing to pay the penny you picked up off the ground for something purely because of princible is completely absurd and comes off as really lazy whining. I may bloviate and bluster, but I still go to the trouble to do so.

Now, so far I've declined to contribute proper but have decided to do so with terms not provided in the OP. The convention of flipping has come up, but I can't imagine there's a single vehicle ever that can't be flipped or parted out for profit, even if it or its parts aren't used as they were originally intended--I can even see some nut wanting some nuts, or parts to assemble an odd piece of sculpture. A notion similar to that of riding something hard and leaving it stranded on the side of the road has been mentioned. For this to be worthwhile to me, the choice has to represent something I'm going to have to live with, or would not be able to as the case may be.

As much as I love microcars, I'm sad to say that they aren't something I'd be able to live with. For me to have one, I'd have to be in the position where all my needs are met and it would just be a toy.

I'm not ashamed to say I have little interest in them, but I also couldn't live with a Veyron or any number of other ridiculously expensive supercars and hypercars, and it all comes down to just one issue...maintenance costs.

A couple of Citroëns have hit the chopping block, a DS 21 to which I objected and could indeed live with (along with the DS 19) and a 2CV that I could also live with provided it was later spec and wasn't quite the burden to other cars on the road that the early cars are likely to be--I've even sought one out (preferably an early car that I can bring up to later spec) and would love that as well as a second to use as the basis of a Blackjack Avion three-wheeler kit.

If anything, most people will probably hound you with sheer fanboyism than talk trash. It’s a car that can give off Ferrari vibes of being eventually being annoyed with all the questions you’ll get. I’d reckon that’s more reason to not buy one than the occasional person who may want to race; you’ll get that in almost any popular performance car.

Any kind of performance Japanese import you will get some attention.

I've driven EVOs Skylines GTRs, Supras Silvias and all that as these are common in RHD countries and you do get some odd attention... I remember been flashed at night while I overtook people in the RH lane... people do tend to get out of the way for some reason... and apparenrtly a silver GTR gets photo attention for some reason???

Granted you know, if you always wanted these then the attention doesnt matter.

I find this era of Japanese imports to be fascinating... turbo rwd manual LSD no driving help via electronic aids... just pure driving.

About cars I wouldnt buy... I would take all cars into consideration but most times I'm picky about some issue that makes a car hard to live with or get my head around.

eg. if I get an LHD car thats been converted to the RHD market and some of the controls are still tailored for a LHD driver then that would drive me crazy.

I'm not super crazy about any European or US car that isnt a performance model.

In general, I'd never willingly buy any Chrysler vehicle from the Daimler era (late '90-early/mid '00). Thankfully they're not very common anymore as either their drivetrains self-destructed or the rear end suspensions eventually became unrepairable due to rust.

I also wouldn't buy any kind of supercar/hypercar/gigacar/and so on, if only because it would be like keeping a thoroughbred racehorse as a housepet. Spending that much on something I could never use to its full potential is just silly and I would probably lose my mind if something bad happened to it.

I also wouldn't buy any kind of supercar/hypercar/gigacar/and so on, if only because it would be like keeping a thoroughbred racehorse as a housepet. Spending that much on something I could never use to its full potential is just silly and I would probably lose my mind if something bad happened to it.

That pretty much sums up my own feelings about super/hypercar ownership.

Another Porsche.
Any American car built between 1972-2005 (some extremely rare exceptions apply)
Any VW ever made
Any Mitsubishi without Evo in the name

Back