Casey's gallery - photos and videos

• Thread starter nobuffalo
  • 96 comments
I don't think your edits are overboard. I like the editing and tones.

Thank you. :)

A friend of mine, who shoots only film, also has one of those Epson Perfection thingies - although his is the 2400 version, which I have no clue what the difference is - and, just like yours, his scans always look good to me as well.

I definitely gotta get me one of those. I'm tired of paying almost 10€ for developing + scanning...

It looks like the 2400 stands for it's optical resolution, same goes for the 1670 pretty much which scans at 1600dpi. That said I've been scanning at 3200dpi because I've seen a noticeable difference. At that rate each image is huge, roughly 100 MB. It also takes a while, around 2 minutes per shot.

I've seen similar ones for cheap, I got mine for free as someone was throwing it out. 👍 Paying to get them developed suuucks. The cost of film plus getting them developed is $8 a roll down at walgreens. I'm sure I could do it for close to half if I went to somewhere like Costco, oh well.

Can you recommend any good film? My sister got me a 30 dollar gift card for amazon and I think I might try something new.

EDIT:
Also, cool little rangefinder camera. 👍

Thanks, I've only shot 4 rolls with it so I'm still getting used to it. I need to do something about the battery, right now I have the wrong size one wedged in there with some paper so it will make contact. I believe it's voltage is also a little off which may be affecting expose when in auto.

EDIT2:
Apparently, all Epson scanners are called "Perfection". And there are a gazillion models...

:lol: Good luck!

So I've been playing around with some of the few settings in the scanning software and I think I got it to a good point. I will probably rescan them all so I have a better place to start. Gonna be at it for a while but nows a good time to learn. :crazy:

Thanks for the scanners tips. I'll keep my eyes open to see if something cheap comes up.
Quick question though: how do you scan at 3200dpi, if your scanner supposedly only does 1600?

About film... oh boy. :)
Off the top of my head, for colour film, any Portra or Ektar film should be fantastic. For b&w, maybe Neopan or Tri-X.
But really, I'm no expert and don't have that much experience. Also, it's a very subjective theme.

But try browsing film photography on Flickr, for example, and when you see something you like, look out for the tags to see which film was used.

Quick question though: how do you scan at 3200dpi, if your scanner supposedly only does 1600?

I don't understand it either because I don't know the terminology used in the scanners specifications. Epson's site claims an optical resolution of 1600dpi but 1600x3200dpi with micro step drive technology. it also says it's effective pixels is 1600dpi or 13,600 x 18,720. My guess is when I'm scanning at 3200dpi it's just filling in the detail and not actually resulting in better quality, but at the same time it looks better to me.

First is at 1600dpi, second at 3200dpi.

5OoB0EH.jpg

Idk, initially I liked the smoother look of the 3200dpi but now I'm starting to think 1600dpi provides a sharper image and it also seems to provide a bit better blacks. I'm gonna start saving them at the 1024 size from now on so I guess it really doesn't matter, I was just trying to find the best place to start.

^ Yes, that's definitely just some kind of uprezzing, and you're only losing detail there.

Thanks for all the info. 👍

...you're only losing detail there.

:banghead: Scanning at 1600dpi from now on.

So I had to sell my Nikon DSLR a while back and haven't really been doing much photo stuff since, then I went to that BMW collection... All I gotta say is I love this camera and film! It just works for me, the pictures are turning out pretty much exactly how I want them to. I'm much more pleased with my results with the rangefinder than I was with my Nikon and I'm also having a much larger percentage of 'keepers'.

I still have some more from the weekend to upload but I went out this morning at the break of dawn in search of a animal picture for the contest and although the weather was miserable and I came home soaking wet from my legs down I got what I was looking for and a few more.

After the ducks I made my way downtown and tried to mimic DiabolicalMask with the buildings, had a couple I liked. You can't really tell but it was raining like crazy so I had to make them quick. Also I converted these last ones to B&W but otherwise they've had very little adjustments. 👍

And then two more random ones. The of the guy was something like a 2 second exposure as he was only lit by a TV, I just guessed so I'm surprised it turned out!

Last edited:
^ Mimic no one. Just feel and enjoy your photography (especially when shooting film). ;)

Keep them coming. 👍

Cracking post. Enjoyed them. Love the skateboarders reaction to having his picture taken. 👍 :D 👍

Cracking post. Enjoyed them. Love the skateboarders reaction to having his picture taken. 👍 :D 👍

Thank you, he certainly made the picture what it is. :)

And I really like the street shots at the end. Nice work. 👍

Thank you. The colors are pretty exaggerated on most of this new batch including those but whatevs, I like them. 👍

Great work, really digging that portrait, black and white, MGB shot. Some stunning captures!

Thank you. I was messing with the curves on that one and somehow ended up with a photo quite different than the original. :lol: I really liked the outlines of their hats, that small lit spot of detail near the guy on the left's neckline which is about to reveal his face and the way his jacket looks to be blowing in the wind. He also has a bit of a mysterious look to him as you can tell he's looking straight at me but obviously can't see his face, or so I thought.

Anyways, after all that "film is so great talk" I kinda sold out when I acquired the D200 but I do have a couple rolls waiting to be developed when the funds are available and can't wait to start scanning them. I've also been on the lookout for another Epson scanner with better resolution. I've found multiple Epson Perfection 2400's at Goodwill for around 5 bucks a piece but I'm holding out for a 3200.

And while I'm here...

Last edited:
Saw the latest ones on Flickr. Nice shots. Love the clean look of the B&W.

Thank you. Few more, people from last night and cars from today. Take a look at the full size one of the Dart and you can see my iffy attempt at bringing the exposure of the body down. :lol:

Nice photos. There always seem to be so many old cars just being neglected but sitting around around here. Also saw your other ones on Flickr. 👍

I really like the FJ40 and NSX photo. It's a really cool contrast between the two vehicles.

Nice photos. There always seem to be so many old cars just being neglected but sitting around around here. Also saw your other ones on Flickr. 👍

Thanks. Indeed, but I'd rather look at and photograph old neglected cars than new ones! :)

I also really want that Dodge Dart. :drool:

I really like the FJ40 and NSX photo. It's a really cool contrast between the two vehicles.

Awesome, exactly what I was going for!

I figured out the problem I've been having with some of my images losing saturation or turning HDRish (grayed blacks) when uploaded to flick, the color profile or whatever it was called wasn't saved as sRGB. :dunce:

May as well throw this one in here, it's a bit over the top on the colors compared to what I normally do but I felt like it worked. Looking back I wish I would taken about one and a half steps to my left and panned right/tilted up a tad, I'm my own worst critic. F/4.5, ISO 800 and 1/30th, I was fighting the light to get a decent shot! I need a prime.

Made my first print last night, did 2 test strips then 1 full test sheet and viola! Pretty pleased with it, gave me a new found respect for my Konica. Film was Fuji Superia 400 and the paper is Ilford Multigrade IV RC DE LUXE. I used a #2 Multigrade Filter as that's what was suggested for a starting point. Printed on 8x10, then scanned at an excessive resolution of 1600dpi and uploaded at max res just because! I can't wait to make a print from some true B&W film. I gotta say though I am extremely pleased with how it turned out. :)

2000x1400
A good size to view it.

Last edited:
A couple more from last night. They're a bit dark especially anything that was red, yellow, or orange it seems. I went to get a few rolls developed but the place's b&w machine was in need of repair and they hadn't been able to contact the people with the parts, guess I might have to mail them out. :yuck:

Creative credits go to Crash on the first one, I saw him framing up and snapped one myself!

I do like the high contrast tones. What film? Colour then digital to B&W?

Thanks. Fuji Superia Xtra 400, I took these a while back. They get printed from the negative straight to b&w paper (which is why the red, yellow and oranges act odd, I think) then scanned. It's very time consuming, mostly because of my setup, but a lot of fun.

I think they look great. Especially the high contrast. Gives them a nice look.

You could try color filters as well when printing from color film to black and white to adjust some of the contrast.

Found a HP Photosmart S20 for 5 bucks today, does a good enough job and is much easier to load than the Epson flatbed scanner is.

Few more photos.

Ilford Delta 100

Ilford HP5 Plus 400

Last edited:
So I've had this Olympus-Pen EES-2 for a while but when I got it it had some sticky aperture blades. I disassembled and fixed that problem but in doing so screwed up the focus. Well I finally got the focus pretty close (maybe just a hair off at infinity or maybe I'm just hoping for slightly sharper images) and ran a roll of Kodak Gold 200 through it to test it out. It's amazing how exhausting it is to take +48 shots, it's a half frame. It's a fun camera and does a pretty good job on the exposure, most had a bit of tweaking on the curves but really not much. Being a half frame when you're handling the camera in the normal position it takes portrait photos, which probably makes some people think I'm crazy when I tilt it for a landscape shot. It has a D.Zuiko 1:2.8 30mm lens and uses zone focusing. 3.5ft, 5ft ,10ft and infinity. It looks cool as all hell too. :)

Without further ado, the ones that weren't hurt by the random light leaks! :lol:

A few from the trip to the coast and one from last year!

Film, first is an old photo from a camera I was reunited with and the next three from Friday with the same roll.

Had a go with this one in B&W, quite liked the result. Original

Next ones from the D200. First one from Cape Flattery which was taken specifically for the Ansel Adams contest (although I'm considering swapping it for another, hmm) and next two from Shi Shi Beach, WA. Absolutely beautiful places.

Very nice photos. It's funny, someone else has already mentioned it, but the color photos seem to have some kind of desert feel, as if it could have been taken somewhere in Nevada.

The middle one of the B&W landscapes is stunning.

Back