Casey's gallery - photos and videos

• Thread starter nobuffalo
  • 96 comments
Very nice photos. It's funny, someone else has already mentioned it, but the color photos seem to have some kind of desert feel, as if it could have been taken somewhere in Nevada.

I did reduce the saturation on those a bit thinking they had a bit too much to begin with but I could definitely have been wrong. Either way I preferred the result.

The middle one of the B&W landscapes is stunning.

Thanks! I'd like to say it's easy to get a good photo with that kind of scenery but I have a hole buttload of crap ones from that location! 30 second exposure on the middle one.

Two more from closer to home.

Konica with Ilford HP5 400 taken at Greenlake.

Olympus-Pen with Kodak Gold 200 taken on Bainbridge Island and tweaked like a mutha.

Found this one in and amongst some that I shot a couple months ago. The object to the left is a bit of a distraction but other than that I liked it.

Looks like I need to do some updating, some of these have been posted elsewhere on the forum.

Feel like I got a bit carried away with the editing of this one.

Feel like I got a bit carried away with the editing of this one.
For what it's worth - and for someone who didn't see the original - it looks great and natural enough to my eyes. 👍

Also love the last landscape shot and the Golf MkI one, too. Well done.

DSC_9229 maybe turned out a little HDR-ish, but that's really what I see whenever it's nice out anyways. I think it captures Seattle fall beautifully.

Thanks for the kind comments you guys. 👍 These photos just all kind of went together so I thought I'd show them together, I wish I could say I planned it. :lol:

Last edited:
Developed my first roll today, was some Fujicolor 200 from walgreens and I developed it in B&W chemicals. I used dev times from HP5 400 as a reference and adjusted a bit for the temperature. 5:30 in 1:9 Ilford Ilfosol 3, 10-15 sec in stop bath, 5:00 in 1:9 Ilford rapid fixer and then rinse for a while. I scanned them as color moved the color wheel to blue to get rid of the orange color from the film then I had to drop the exposure a huge amount to get a decent exposure. I'm was actually really surprised with the results! Camera was a Sears 35 RF rangefinder, basically a copy of the Ricoh 500 G.

Selfie by some of my photo gear.

And a couple of the Volvo and out the window shots.

Scan891-2

Scan891-3

Scan891

Mentioned this in the premo thread but I bought another 35mm camera making the total six and all currently loaded with film... I think I have a problem! :lol: But for real, all the other ones are cheap goodwill finds in the search for the right camera and while they work ok I've haven't been fully satisfied with them, except for maybe the olympus pen but that can only do so much.

So I got a Nikon F100, I went to the store originally looking for lenses but saw the F100 with battery grip for a reasonable price and after firing off a few shots I had to have it. I've put two rolls of film through it and it's working great, one which I had developed at the local drug store and the other that I developed into black and white. That said I've only got two photos to post for now, my standard car shots of a couple old Chevys down the street.

Gosh I should really update on a more regular basis so I don't have to post a bunch at once. I think some of these go back to 2013 and they were all with the D200 with the exception of the first two which are film.

What a lovely red that Toyota pickup has in the second picture.

And were you guys geoducking in the fourth picture?

@Crash - Thank you. The truck is parked down the street from me and I desperately want it, it's in fantastic shape considering it's age.

We were in fact razor clamming near Aberdeen and they are quite tasty when breaded and fried. It was my first time eating something I had hunted and was very satisfying, of course when you're on a 3 day booze filled camping trip most food is very satisfying. :)

More to come.

Love that second-to-last shot.

Also, clearly you were lying about only having "pure crap" so far. ;)

Thank you, I had to use a flash to light up the seats in that one. I would actually like to try shooting it again but with someone seated in the car.

And some more.

I had to go to LA for work and I thought since I now have a camera that can do video I'd record some during the flights. Here's the landing back in Seattle a few hours ago, it wasn't the smoothest landing so I thought it looked kind of cool. 1:40 is a good place to start if you want to get to the actually landing, I liked the look of focusing on the wing. The kid talking at the end is cute and certainly enjoyed the landing as did I. Shot with the nikon 85mm at 1.4 and iso 800.

Not sure why but I can't seem to view it in HD through the viewer here on gtp.

I thought I'd throw together a short video from some of the clips I've been recording on outings with friends and whatnot so this is what I came up with tonight after a couple hours of trying things.

I ordered a variable nd filter and some step up rings for all of my lenses so I can shoot a bit more opened up in heavy sunlight. At 1/50th and iso 200 (min for video) I'm stopped all the way down to f16 on a few of my lenses and even that is overexposed. The videos just don't have the same appeal or I haven't found it yet without the shallow dof. I also ordered a circular polarizer that will hopefully be useful at times for both photos and videos, I'm most looking forward to being able to do reduce the glare on windows and whatnot. Also should be receiving a faster sd card that will allow me to shoot better quality video. My friend has a few ideas for some shorts so I need to get more practice!

Last edited:
I really need to read a thing or two about video and start shooting some.

Thanks for sharing these. To my eyes, they are simple, yet look so nice. It's an extra incentive to prepare myself for recording my daughter's growth.

I really need to read a thing or two about video and start shooting some.

Thanks for sharing these. To my eyes, they are simple, yet look so nice. It's an extra incentive to prepare myself for recording my daughter's growth.

Thanks. Yeah they're pretty simple as I haven't really had any direction or put much thought into what I'm recording, they're mostly just random 5-10 second clips so making anything meaningful out of them after the fact is hard to do.

The video from the camera does look nice and it's actually commented on quite often at the end of the night when reviewing things with friends, they usually say the video has a professional like quality. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is, whether it's the framerate or dof or the stabilization, it's likely a combination of all of them.

Couple things to mention. When shooting video you want to double your framerate with the shutter speed, so for 24fps I shoot at 1/50th. Also it's quite important to get your color and exposure correct from the get go as there's obviously less room for adjustment in post. I use adobe premier pro when doing editing but no comment on where I got that. ;) I can't really say much about what formats or codecs to use, video is quite new to me too. I currently use the AVCHD codec but will start using XAVC-S when I get that faster memory card. When I export the final video I use the H.264 codec which I think gives me a mp4 file. The video I posted last night was roughly 100mb when done.

That's about the only thing I know about video. ;)

Frankly, that's probably all you need to know and even that is just guideline or general rule to follow and can be broken depending on how you want the video to look.

I received the variable ND in the mail yesterday and it's pretty cool. I kinda recommend one if you plan to do much video. Not only does it help get your exposure down when you want to shoot at large apertures in lots of light but it makes a for very good tool for adjusting exposure in the middle of a video, like when going from inside to outside. You can get your aperture ring de-clicked to have a similar effect but I think a variable ND would be a better solution for the casual shooter.

Yesterday I did a little test with my new $6 Dejur 135mm f2.8. I photograph this car often and in a similar manner but that's because I like to, and it's only a block away. :) It's definitely a cheap lens but will suit me until I can get something nicer in that focal length.

That's great Casey, how can you go wrong for 6 bucks. 👍

Definitely. The aperture blades are currently covered in oil so in order to change the aperture after moving the ring I have to pull it off the camera and move the lever but who cares, it was cheap. I could become a good lens to practice repairs on.

I guess I should update a bit.

16508021804_301fb685f4_z.jpg

The two "Steering Wheel" shots don't do much for me personally, but I do like the composition of the racecar shot and the unfortunate bear one is really cool. A bit of unused space in the lower left, but still nice eye for the shot 👍

@Mike Rotch - It's funny you mention that because I already cropped in a bit on the bear shot because of the unused space, if I recall correctly the bear was dead center or somewhere close in the original. I've developed a bad habit of moving the frame to get focus while using focus magnification and then taking the picture before reframing. :ouch:

I suppose I should do some updating or I'll never get things posted. I got a second hand Ricoh GR not too long ago and have to say it's a awesome camera. The handling of it is great and the image quality is very impressive. I've also started using Lr more along with some of the VSCO presets and DXO and it's presets because why the hell not.

Sony and Ricoh stuff

Back