Changes you would make to each Sport

• Thread starter Earth
  • 121 comments
GTP_Royalton
If you could control the rules of all the sports in the world, what would you change?

I'll start with soccer. I think it has the potential to be a really awesome fast paced sport. It just needs a few rule changes.

My first change for soccer would be to split it into 4 quarters of 15 minutes each instead of two 45 minute halves. Theres two big issues with 45 minute halves. First of all the players get too tired having to play for so long. With shorter periods of play and more frequent breaks you get more explosive action. The next issue is a 45 minute half requires your undivided attention for 45 minutes straight. Thats simply too much.

The next two changes kind of go hand in hand and they are by far the biggest. Make the goal smaller and reduce the number of players per team to 8. When going from 11 to 8 players your looking at more shots on goal, so to keep the scoring to a reasonable amount, something like 11-12 goals per match total you would need a smaller goal. A smaller goal would also make the goalie more useful. Penalty kicks tell the story of the goal being too big, as sometimes it becomes a guessing game. A goal keeper in a 1 on 1 matchup with a player should have a pretty good chance to stop him. He shouldnt be completely helpless because the goal is so big.

And just get rid of stoppage time

Soccer is played on such a huge field everytime I watch it Im disappointed at how slow of a pace it is. If you watch hockey they can go from one goalie to the other in literally seconds. Sometimes in soccer it takes them ages just to get out of hte middle of the field. I think this is because theres too many players on the field. Reduce the number of players, free things up, which in turn speeds the game up and allows more scoring.

Soccer is played on such a huge field everytime I watch it Im disappointed at how slow of a pace it is. If you watch hockey they can go from one goalie to the other in literally seconds. Sometimes in soccer it takes them ages just to get out of hte middle of the field. I think this is because theres too many players on the field. Reduce the number of players, free things up, which in turn speeds the game up and allows more scoring.

The difference is that in hockey the game is played 5 a side with 18 skaters on the bench. The way high level hockey is played these days (especially in the playoffs) is you go on for a shift and skate balls to the wall for 40 seconds then come off the ice. Not really feasible in soccer.

Have you heard of 5 a side? It has all the things you require. Fewer players, smaller pitch, smaller goals, shorter periods of play. And no rules need to be changed.

Football has being doing just fine for the last 150 years. Just because most sport you're aware of has more scores and shorter periods of play doesn't mean that every sport should have. Goals should be special, and should never be 5 a minute like some sports.

The only things that possibly need looked at are the offside rule, and the "triple punishment" of penalty, red card, and match ban.

If you could control the rules of all the sports in the world, what would you change?

I'll start with soccer. I think it has the potential to be a really awesome fast paced sport. It just needs a few rule changes.

My first change for soccer would be to split it into 4 quarters of 15 minutes each instead of two 45 minute halves. Theres two big issues with 45 minute halves. First of all the players get too tired having to play for so long. With shorter periods of play and more frequent breaks you get more explosive action. The next issue is a 45 minute half requires your undivided attention for 45 minutes straight. Thats simply too much.

The next two changes kind of go hand in hand and they are by far the biggest. Make the goal smaller and reduce the number of players per team to 8. When going from 11 to 8 players your looking at more shots on goal, so to keep the scoring to a reasonable amount, something like 11-12 goals per match total you would need a smaller goal. A smaller goal would also make the goalie more useful. Penalty kicks tell the story of the goal being too big, as sometimes it becomes a guessing game. A goal keeper in a 1 on 1 matchup with a player should have a pretty good chance to stop him. He shouldnt be completely helpless because the goal is so big.

And just get rid of stoppage time

That is singlehandedly the worst theoretical 'improvements' that anyone has suggested for football.

I'd try make the offside rule more clear, change the punishment system to introduce stuff like sin-binning to replace red cards for the most part.

I'd also introduce a video ref to call for goal chances with offsides or penalty decisions etc.

If 45 minutes without a break is too long then you probably should never go to the cinema or watch BBC Television. Or perhaps consult a doctor.

I would introduce the Sin Bin to Football (soccer) and also introduce a captain-only line of communication with the referee. At most a designated player for each half of the pitch (often amateur rugby has a forwards and backs 'captain').

I would change the rugby scrum laws to only the front 5 pushing. The back row would only remain in contact with the scrum with a hand touch. This would reduce pressure of the front three, hopefully reducing injury and collapse.

I would remove every pad but helmets from cricket on players, and make the wickets wider. Therefore they must hit the pall or expect pain. Serious pain.

More changes for soccer:

- $5,000 fine for first 'flop'/dive $10,000 for the next, and $20,000 for every flop after that. Similar to what the NBA has done with flopping or 'diving'. Offenses are reviewed after the game.

- Salary cap and some sort of drafting system

The difference is that in hockey the game is played 5 a side with 18 skaters on the bench. The way high level hockey is played these days (especially in the playoffs) is you go on for a shift and skate balls to the wall for 40 seconds then come off the ice. Not really feasible in soccer.

15 minute quarters would help that. Im not sure how substitutions are handled in soccer, but allow them to be frequent and quick.

Have you heard of 5 a side? It has all the things you require. Fewer players, smaller pitch, smaller goals, shorter periods of play. And no rules need to be changed.

Football has being doing just fine for the last 150 years. Just because most sport you're aware of has more scores and shorter periods of play doesn't mean that every sport should have. Goals should be special, and should never be 5 a minute like some sports.

The only things that possibly need looked at are the offside rule, and the "triple punishment" of penalty, red card, and match ban.

These rule changes need to happen at every level. Soccer changing so little over 150 years is part of its problem. If you look at basketball and football, they are constantly changing the rules to make the sport better. This year in football they are planning on making the extra point 43 yards instead of 16 yards to make things more exciting.

Every goal should be special sounds like a really weak excuse for low scoring. A defense and goal keeper getting a shutout should be special too right? But too many soccer games end with one team getting nothing. Im taking a quick peak at the skysports soccer scoreboard. Im seeing 4 games, 2 of them featured a team that scored 0. If scoring should be something rare, then shouldnt shutouts for the defense be something to work for and earn too?

Im not asking for 5 scores a minute. I think 9-10 total goals a game on average would be just about right. And just like hockey there should be 30-35 shots on goal with 3-5 scores on average per team

That is singlehandedly the worst theoretical 'improvements' that anyone has suggested for football.

I'd try make the offside rule more clear, change the punishment system to introduce stuff like sin-binning to replace red cards for the most part.

I'd also introduce a video ref to call for goal chances with offsides or penalty decisions etc.

Care to explain how its so terrible?

If 45 minutes without a break is too long then you probably should never go to the cinema or watch BBC Television. Or perhaps consult a doctor.

45 minutes straight of watching an extremely slow paced sport like soccer is too much. Theres a reason why the crowd is singing and throwing flares. They're not exactly enthralled by every action on the field so they created their own entertainment.

No, I dont need a doctor because I refuse to set through a slow paced 45 minute half where theres a distinct possibility it may end in a 0-0 tie, and the only score was probably accidental instead of a well orchestrated attack.

Changes I would make to football:

- Reduce the playclock to 32 seconds from 40 seconds. Most teams already run hurry up and snap the ball well before the clock is out. 40 seconds is a bit slow and dated.

- Work with the helmets so we can see the faces of the players better.

- Reduction of commercials. Save them for half time and breaks after each quarter.

Changes for Basketball:

- Reduce the number of timeouts by 2 or 3. Too many times a game with 50 seconds left ends up taking 15 minutes to complete.

-

Baseball: Make a steriods division of teams and just be in awe of how far these guys can hit and throw the ball. Imagine a 120mph pitch and a bat that shatters on impact but that ball gets launched into orbit. Who wouldnt want to watch that?

Care to explain how its so terrible?

4 15-minute quarters doesn't allow the game to develop and won't allow sustained periods of pressure. Players also don't get fatiqued which ruins the idea of substitutions completely. If football matches had players at near enough full energy for the entire match, results would be a lot less predictable, tactics wouldn't change throughout the game and impact subs won't get to play as more defensive players would be favoured.

A smaller goal will just result in teams trying to play it into the box and games of 150 crosses each don't sound appealing to anyone.

Less players also makes the pitch more open, which would result in a more defensive tactical shift to counteract the open spaces, also contributing to cross after cross after cross.

I really am struggling to see why you think football needs to be changed up to entertain the american viewer, its been doing fine for 150 years and its pretty much the most popular sport in the world.

4 15-minute quarters doesn't allow the game to develop and won't allow sustained periods of pressure. Players also don't get fatiqued which ruins the idea of substitutions completely. If football matches had players at near enough full energy for the entire match, results would be a lot less predictable, tactics wouldn't change throughout the game and impact subs won't get to play as more defensive players would be favoured.

A smaller goal will just result in teams trying to play it into the box and games of 150 crosses each don't sound appealing to anyone.

Less players also makes the pitch more open, which would result in a more defensive tactical shift to counteract the open spaces, also contributing to cross after cross after cross.

I really am struggling to see why you think football needs to be changed up to entertain the american viewer, its been doing fine for 150 years and its pretty much the most popular sport in the world.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Change all sports to somehow incorporate elements of sports car racing.
That defeats the purpose of everything.

Have you ever even played it? I played it for 6 years and every single bit of this is entirely untrue. Even conditioned players get burnt out very quickly, and I'll be the first one to tell you that as I used to be in fantastic shape. Not to mention substitutes serve as back ups to injuries.

I agree with this.

Have you ever even played it? I played it for 6 years and every single bit of this is entirely untrue. Even conditioned players get burnt out very quickly, and I'll be the first one to tell you that as I used to be in fantastic shape. Not to mention substitutes serve as back ups to injuries.

I agree with this.

Are you on about the same kind of football? I think he's going on about soccer, not American football. There isn't much I would change to soccer, if it were to be anything it would be this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25586007

I've watched hundreds of games, and in very few have I been 'bored' and wished that there were more intervals and shorted periods. Also having less players on the same sized pitch will mean each player will have to cover more ground, and they will run out of energy faster. If you don't like soccer the way it is now, watch futsal. It sounds like that's the game the OP is trying to turn soccer into.

He said 4 15 minute quarters, first thing I thought of was American football.

Earth
45 minutes straight of watching an extremely slow paced sport like soccer is too much.
For you. But the popularity would suggest that the majority of sports fans don't agree.

[quoteTheres a reason why the crowd is singing and throwing flares. They're not exactly enthralled by every action on the field so they created their own entertainment. [/quote]
Actually it's because it's part of the atmosphere and their love of the sport. Alternatively American sports tend to involve lots of entertainment like cheerleaders, mascots and half time shows. All incredibly artificial ways of entertaining the crowd. That's a pretty clear indicator that high-scores and short-periods mean nothing.

No, I dont need a doctor because I refuse to set through a slow paced 45 minute half where theres a distinct possibility it may end in a 0-0 tie, and the only score was probably accidental instead of a well orchestrated attack.
I completely agree that 0-0 is often a boring outcome and I don't watch League matches accordingly. But 45 minutes sitting down watching a game is still shorter than the Notebook, PS I Love You and LOTR: The Fellowship by quite some considerable distance, and yet I'd reckon that quite a lot of uninterested people have sat through them.

Again you're trying to impose a sort of ADHD-proof version of soccer where it's just not necessary because the players don't need it, the fans don't need it and, arguably, the business man doesn't want it either.
-[/quote]

I agree with this.
Im on about football, not handegg.

But it is football. Since the only body part you are really allowed to touch it with is the foot. You can add in foot(head/chest/knee)ball except for keeper where its everything ball inside the box. American football only has three instances where the foot is used and MANY instances where it CANNOT be used.

There's not enough baseball in this thread:

The biggest complaint among baseball fans (and nonfans) is the games take forever and is a rather slow pace. They recently added instant replay, which, if used, adds about 3 minutes of absolutely nothing to the game, up to 4 times a game.

What needs to happen is a pitch clock. Sound anything like a play clock in the NFL? That's because it is. Pitchers will only have 20 seconds to throw a pitch after the ball gets back to their glove, and will reset after:
A pitch is made
Batter calls time
Umpires call time (squirrel on the field, fan streaking, manager talks to pitcher, etc)
As of a study in 2010, the average time between pitchers is 21.5 seconds. The pitchers that take longer than that are generally in the AL, while the pitchers who are quicker are generally in the NL. After 3 years I'm almost certain it has changed, possibly for the better.

Each time a pitcher doesn't make the pitch within 20 seconds, the batter will automatically receive a ball, but cannot be walked. Ex. 3-2 count, takes to long= dead ball/no pitch, BUT if count is 2-2, it will go to 3-2.

In 2013, only 12 starting pitchers had a "pace time" of under 20 seconds, while 12 had a "pace time" of over 24 seconds. That doesn't sound like a big gap, but after 100 pitches, that's about 7 minutes. Additionally, MLB could reduce the number of warmup pitches from 8 to 5.

Last edited:

Agree with most of this post, except I would ditch offside all together. It would alter tactics a little, but I dont think to the detriment of the game, and would eliminate an oft-argued over call. It worked for field hockey.
More changes for soccer:

*snip*15 minute quarters would help that. Im not sure how substitutions are handled in soccer, but allow them to be frequent and quick.
*snip
You dont understand the game, but want to make fundamental changes to the rules? The substitution rule is one of the quirks of football. I can see arguments as to making them unlimited or a set number, with players able to come back after a rest (like Rugby League), but it works fine as is.
There's not enough baseball in this thread:

The biggest complaint among baseball fans (and nonfans) is the games take forever and is a rather slow pace. They recently added instant replay, which, if used, adds about 3 minutes of absolutely nothing to the game, up to 4 times a game.
I would much rather the added time and correct decisions.

What needs to happen is a pitch clock. Sound anything like a play clock in the NFL? That's because it is. Pitchers will only have 20 seconds to throw a pitch after the ball gets back to their glove, and will reset after:
A pitch is made
Batter calls time
Umpires call time (squirrel on the field, fan streaking, manager talks to pitcher, etc)
As of a study in 2010, the average time between pitchers is 21.5 seconds. The pitchers that take longer than that are generally in the AL, while the pitchers who are quicker are generally in the NL. After 3 years I'm almost certain it has changed, possibly for the better.

Each time a pitcher doesn't make the pitch within 20 seconds, the batter will automatically receive a ball, but cannot be walked. Ex. 3-2 count, takes to long= dead ball/no pitch, BUT if count is 2-2, it will go to 3-2.

In 2013, only 12 starting pitchers had a "pace time" of under 20 seconds, while 12 had a "pace time" of over 24 seconds. That doesn't sound like a big gap, but after 100 pitches, that's about 7 minutes. Additionally, MLB could reduce the number of warmup pitches from 8 to 5.
No thanks. The only thing I don't really like is the time it takes NL games to get through the last 3 or 4 innings in close games with so many pitching changes, but there is no way I would advocate reducing warm up time - pitchers are injured enough as it is without having their warmup cut short.

----

To make my own contribution, which is sure to go over the head of most*, is that hitting the post in Aussie Rules should be play on, not an automatic out of bounds/behind (depending on which post). I want to see it so that if the ball clips the post and goes in, then goal scored. If it hits square on and comes back in the field of play, then play on. Pretty much like every other game that involves putting a ball/puck between posts.

*Briefly, there are 4 posts at each end - 6 points for putting the ball down the middle, 1 for a miss. If the ball hits a post at all, it is scored as if it missed to the outside (one point for hitting the central two, nothing for hitting the outside ones)

Simple change:

Stop letting the NCAA make billions from collegiate athletes and start reimbursing them. The NCAA is a bunch of hypocritical crooks...

My only change would be for Soccer. Abandon offside rules.

They cause too much confusion, debate and all the rest of it. I think that only a few scenarios actually need it, direct free kicks and corners. In open play there should be no offside rule. Attackers will play further up, defenders would have to defend deeper and I think it would make for much more interesting games.

To make my own contribution, which is sure to go over the head of most*, is that hitting the post in Aussie Rules should be play on, not an automatic out of bounds/behind (depending on which post). I want to see it so that if the ball clips the post and goes in, then goal scored. If it hits square on and comes back in the field of play, then play on. Pretty much like every other game that involves putting a ball/puck between posts.

*Briefly, there are 4 posts at each end - 6 points for putting the ball down the middle, 1 for a miss. If the ball hits a post at all, it is scored as if it missed to the outside (one point for hitting the central two, nothing for hitting the outside ones)
Good point. I'd also allow tackling below the knee in Aussie Rules. I appreciate that the game has a lot of rules that prevent dangerous tackles (through the back, or above shoulder) but without damaging the brutal nature of the game, but the below-knee rule always confused me.

In NBA: Get rid of players jumping into the defender to draw the foul. It's cheap, it's whack, it's unfair.

In soccer: Anybody that has an injury must be taken off the field immediately so the game can resume. None of that treat him on the field stuff and waste time. Unless it's something very dire like a heart problem.

Last edited:
Would remove the trapezoid behind the net in the NHL and make fighting a game misconduct.

Simple change:

Stop letting the NCAA make billions from collegiate athletes and start reimbursing them. The NCAA is a bunch of hypocritical crooks...
No, it's not. They're in college to learn, not be paid to play sports.

In fact, this is an issue Cuban brought up a week or so back about players only going to college to play one-and-done. That they should be in college to learn as well in the event their NBA career falls short.
Would remove the trapezoid behind the net in the NHL and make fighting a game misconduct.
Not only do you have a game that allows players "check" each other, but a player position who will typically do it; Enforcers. Fighting is going to happen & there's already rules in place such as players usually verbally agreeing to fight. Otherwise, harsher penalties are already in place like other sports.

Offside rule in football (soccer): make it so a player who's offside can come from behind the defenders and play the ball in onside position. Such as this goal (which should have been ruled out for offside):

Another suggested change: make it so a player who's offside can play with the ball if played onside by the opposition by the time he receives it.

A: Players Team A
B: Players Team B
o: Ball

As the ball is played (offside):

A
A
B o B
A

Once he receives the ball and the opposition got to him at the same time or earlier (onside):

----------->A
----------->A
oB
--------->A

Last edited:
In football, I would introduce a rule that any player who is caught feigning a foul (diving, or "simulation"), who appeals for a decision, who gestures that another player should be given a card or who, other than as team captain or as invited, runs over to the referee and wildly gesticulates at them, should receive a penalty of five lashes with a bamboo cane across the soles of the feet.

Back