Changes you would make to each Sport

• Thread starter Earth
  • 121 comments
So what exactly is considered more exciting in soccer? Scoring goals or the threat of a goal being scored? It has to be the latter if a 0-0 game for 110 minutes is considered exciting. In most sports 0-0 is equated with incompetence on the part of both teams, not great play.
Yes it is the latter. Football is all about tactics and mind games really. At least the modern game is.

Football needs a lot of rule changes and more importantly officials who enforce every rule properly but not the gimmicks that have been posted in this thread, that are only in other sports to chase excitement (money).

As for removing offsides, I would guess Sam Allardyce would be in favour. No one else should be though unless you love a game of long balls, even more diving, set pieces and defence straight out of a game of hand ball.

I think my two favourite sports - football first, American football second - are fine as is. However, this is rather because I prefer to dwell on the player's individual talents as opposed to how the game is played these days. Once I worked out how they were played I rarely gave changing their ways a second thought.

So instead, let me note 4 sports with something in common; baseball, cricket, tennis and golf. What's the similarity? Well, at the moment, if one drop of rain falls onto the playing field, they order everybody to go home immediately (unless they cheat by playing under a dome).

Seriously, what harm can some light precipitation do? If the playing field is affected, simply up your game in accordance to it. Sunny weather is massively overrated anyway. Too warm and it burns you. Sure rain can be mildly annoying if you're in it, but in sport it can shake up a game. And you won't be allowed to complain if 'it made us/me lose'. Because you couldn't stop it, could you? You should have done better when it arrived and you had the chance.

In golf (and cricket as well I guess), rain near the end can unfairly handicap players who are playing later or the cricket team that hits the ball (I dont know cricket)

I would like to see tennis in the rain, if it's possible.

I want to see GD decide football standings because I think it's fairer and makes more sense than 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for losing. I'd also like to see the offside rule leave football because it slows games down and it was probably invented by someone who couldn't defend.

One of the biggest to soccer: everyone wears an earpiece..

I think soccer would be much more exciting to watch to see well-orchestrated attack formations. Of course coaches can just draw on a whiteboard every time-out like football, but with headsets, you can create new formations that have been adjusted to the opponent's defense on the fly.

The most enjoyable bits of soccer for me is when about 2-4 players intricately hand the ball to each other in quick instances like they know exactly how to execute the attack perfectly. Those are goals are memorable and drive the hype up so easily.

I would like to see tennis in the rain, if it's possible.

I'd watch outdoor ping pong while thunderstorms are happening. We'd be getting tricky balls being influenced by wind and rain. :lol:

^ Whats 'soccer' ;)?

For football, i would like it if they check each penalty or red card situation afterwards with video footage, and if it turns out it was a 'shwalbe', meaning the player faked the fault and rolled over the floor in order to forge the game, he should be suspended for the next 2 games.

This will put a halt to all those sudden epileptic seizures in the box.

So what exactly is considered more exciting in soccer? Scoring goals or the threat of a goal being scored? It has to be the latter if a 0-0 game for 110 minutes is considered exciting. In most sports 0-0 is equated with incompetence on the part of both teams, not great play.
The final could have went either way at any point. It was balanced on a knife edge for over 110 minutes, and that made it exciting. Both defenses were well on top, but a moment of brilliance can happen at any point as Gotze proved. It was a great contest even without goals.

I'm now going to say something that may blow your mind. Germany vs Argentina was a better game (IMO) than Brazil vs Germany.

Nascar. Keep the series divided. I feel the Trucks nationwide are meant as feeder series to sprint cup. Keep the drivers in Cup from coming down every week. If they have to be there allow maybe 5 races maximum they are allowed to race

Baseball. Games already drag on without the replay system now the game takes even longer. if you have to have it have someone at every game instead of waiting for headquarters to make the call. To much time is spent on this instant replay or argue the call BS

For football I would give coaches 3 challenges like in American football

They check the footage and see who's right...

That would get rid of offside goals, fake penalties etc...

It's more of an occasion when a footballer scores, and less of a formality like it is in many sports. And if it's nil-nil after 109 minutes and someone scores in the last, then the release is an explosion of tension. Or, if it goes to penalties, then it's going to be an extremely tense 10 minutes.

That said, I agree that a 90 minute league match can be a very boring 0-0 finish. Which is why I generally only watch cup games.

I think my two favourite sports - football first, American football second - are fine as is. However, this is rather because I prefer to dwell on the player's individual talents as opposed to how the game is played these days. Once I worked out how they were played I rarely gave changing their ways a second thought.

So instead, let me note 4 sports with something in common; baseball, cricket, tennis and golf. What's the similarity? Well, at the moment, if one drop of rain falls onto the playing field, they order everybody to go home immediately (unless they cheat by playing under a dome).

Seriously, what harm can some light precipitation do? If the playing field is affected, simply up your game in accordance to it. Sunny weather is massively overrated anyway. Too warm and it burns you. Sure rain can be mildly annoying if you're in it, but in sport it can shake up a game. And you won't be allowed to complain if 'it made us/me lose'. Because you couldn't stop it, could you? You should have done better when it arrived and you had the chance.
Baseball is played unless there is standing water(most of the time);). And (as a player) I wouldn't mind playing in puddles. Both teams would have to deal with it. A big reason why they don't play with standing water though is to not ruin the field.

I want to see GD decide football standings because I think it's fairer and makes more sense than 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for losing. I'd also like to see the offside rule leave football because it slows games down and it was probably invented by someone who couldn't defend.

The points system is fine as it is, all your idea would do is drive down goals scored in games between the big clubs whilst those teams would then try to smash tons past the worst teams and win the league that way.

As I said above, removing offsides is possibly the worst thing you could do in football.

I'm sure the tennis, golf, cricket, etc, sponsors and governing bodies would love star players getting injured all over the place, definitely sells the sport that one. None of these sports just give up and go off like you claim either, they do try to play on in the rain but when it gets too heavy or goes on for too long it becomes too dangerous to continue.

Last edited:

Rain:
Baseball - a wet baseball slipping out of a pitcher's hand would not be good
Cricket - a wet field/ball seriously advantages one side or the other, and damages the pitch
Tennis - dangerous to players slipping over
Golf - they keep going until there is too much standing water or lightning

Baseball. Games already drag on without the replay system now the game takes even longer. if you have to have it have someone at every game instead of waiting for headquarters to make the call. To much time is spent on this instant replay or argue the call BS
Whether the replay is conducted on field or in NY, it makes no difference to the review time. The only problem I have with the review system is that managers are using it to try and get really close calls overturned which are barely discernible on slow-mo replay when it was really brought in to eliminate the badly blown call. It is exactly the same with the reviews in cricket. That said, I much prefer the current replay than none at all. Nothing worse than seeing you team lose on the back of a horrible call when the play is stopped anyway, enabling a review.

Allow spear tackling in soccer
Slide tackling in hockey
Be able to get an out in baseball by throwing the ball at a player.
Oh you probably want good suggestions. Here it goes
In F1 schedule the race times around European/American fans
Less commercials during football games
Allow people to burn couches once again (wvu fan tradition)

This isn't WWE pal.

Slide tackling in hockey
Yes because sticks and legs mix of course.

Basically as dumb as the NHL fights?

Already is scheduled to european fans.

America is just full of them.

Is this sport or vandalism?

Slide tackling in hockey
Having trouble telling the stupid suggestions from the 'serious' ones, but since you seem to acknowledge the first three as stupid, I will address the others...

- Last time I checked, US and EU were 6-8 timezones apart. You cant cater perfectly to both. Incidentally, almost all of the races are scheduled to fit the European audience. They are the main reason for later local time starts in Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Abu Dhabi... The three races that dont fit a good European schedule are in perfect North American times (Canada, US, Brazil.

- When they stop faffing about between plays, the TV will have to stop showing commercials. Long games came before TV commercials.

- *Facepalm*

My F1 Rule Changes

1. F1 and Formula E will race together (Formula E will get new batteries in pit stops)

2. Engines that can be used are from V8 to V12 (Except Formula E)

3. All F1's must have a Turbo or a Supercharger (Except Formula E)

4. Fire all bureaucrats and men in safety jackets

5. All F1 drivers will take pay cuts

6. Jeremy Clarkson is the new F1 Boss

7. New race tracks The Full Nordschleife, Bathurst, Surfers Paradise, Biķernieki race track, Canberra 400

8. F1's will use new high performance fuel

9. Nitrous is allowed

Last edited:
In F1, I'd only have one qualifying session for the whole season and then reverse the final race positions and use that as a grid for the following race.

And to stop cunning "retirements" to start higher up in the following races, points will be deducted from a drivers total if there is no proof that the retirement was beyond the driver's control.

The "serious" part was a joke (not a funny one). The scheduling I was referring to were the Asian rounds because of the time zones.

My F1 Rule Changes

1. F1 and Formula E will race together (Formula E will get new batteries in pit stops)

2. Engines that can be used are from V8 to V12 (Except Formula E)

3. All F1's must have a Turbo or a Supercharger (Except Formula E)

4. Fire all bureaucrats and men in safety jackets

5. All F1 drivers will take pay cuts

6. Jeremy Clarkson is the new F1 Boss

7. New race tracks The Full Nordschleife, Bathurst, Surfers Paradise, Biķernieki race track, Canberra 400

8. F1's will use new high performance fuel
1,2,3: Im am all for variety, but good luck getting any kind of parity
4: The first part has some kind of merit. The second half, just no.
5: There are only a handful making huge money anyway
6: :rolleyes:
7: In order: Too dangerous/not F1 rated, facilities not good enough/not F1 rated, maybe, ???, :lol:
8: Why?

The "serious" part was a joke (not a funny one). The scheduling I was referring to were the Asian rounds because of the time zones.
As I said in my post, the time of day most of the Asian/Middle Eastern rounds has already been worked for Europe. There are exactly 0 reasons except for EU TV that the Malaysian and Australian GPs are held at anything other than 1400 local time.

hsv
All for it.

People would die.

The cars and people would die.

Bit obscure, not really meant for F1.

Many, many, many people would die.

See Surfer's.

Maybe tracks like TI Circuit Aida, Brands Hatch GP, Knockhill, Philip Island, Vallelunga.

Maybe tracks like TI Circuit Aida, Brands Hatch GP, Knockhill, Philip Island, Vallelunga.
You're getting closer with Okayama, but then its all going out the window with stuff like Knockhill. The track can barely hold a BTCC paddock.

hsv
You're getting closer with Okayama, but then its all going out the window with stuff like Knockhill. The track can barely hold a BTCC paddock.

If I had F1 my way it would cost billions of dollars and many Lawsuit.

Back