Chase Cam is Ruining GT7 for Me

• Thread starter hunter328
  • 155 comments
Don't hesitate to tweet @Kaz_Yamauchi about this problem. Don't expect any response, but it is one of the unique way to send feedback directly to PD.
Actually I did that already a few times already šŸ˜‚ I hope he sees it. As more people do it as better. If they dont have a feedback forum then how could they know šŸ¤·šŸ¼

Yeh the chase cam is iconic to the GT series, and its dreadful. Every other game does it better.
Unfortunately so lets try Kaz/PD to change it.

I was also the guy back in the GT Sports beta days who created a big thread about the chase cam in the beta forum. Then PD implemented the closer and looser options with an update.

But now we cant give feedback like that anywhere.

Blessed be the day when we will see in the game's bug log (nice feature in the home screen - okay it's not really a bug what we talking about, but there are things that are not bugs also in the log, but things to improve...), something related to the chase view, this will mean that the problem is taken into account šŸ¤ž. (nothing currently)

I have read next update (1.06) would be planned for March 14, 2022 (but I'm not sure at all about source..)

Last edited:
Chase cam is fun in the ā€œmidnight clubā€ arcade nostalgia, in car cams are good at getting that real feel and are sometimes quicker because the sense of placement and FOV make you react differently.

For me I now prefer 80% of the time the bumper cam just because I can put the front of the car on the part of the track I want.

But I use them all depending what Iā€™m trying to do.

If itā€™s racing to win then the bumper cam, if itā€™s to enjoy a hot hatch round the ā€œringā€ then itā€™s in car if Iā€™m drifting for a challenge itā€™s chase cam to better see the angles.

Each to their own and horses for courses, no judgement from me but the chase cam has real issues regardless of settings on the sense of speed, itā€™s just not how youā€™d ever get a perspective in the real world and it dilutes a lot of what goes in to the actual driving part of the game.

That is just my 2p/cents worth

I pretty much exclusively play every racing game in chase cam, unless itā€™s a really close quarters race with bump drafting like on blue moon bay or something. I donā€™t enjoy playing with other cameras since I like seeing the cars beside me and off the back corners of the car, and I canā€™t hit my braking points with any other view.

The chase cam in GT7 is atrocious. Iā€™ve been fine with it in literally ever GT game, but this gives me a headache. It feels like itā€™s meant for a motorcycle racing game, leaning all over the place. I changed the settings to pretty much every combination (including 10-0, which feels like the camera is mounted on a helium balloon being towed behind the car) and they just make it worse.

Itā€™s definitely worst with the higher cars like the hatchbacks with high COG, and itā€™s less noticeable with the race cars, so who knows, maybe Iā€™ll get more used to it when I get to the games bread and butter. But itā€™s a massive downgrade from GTS and I donā€™t know why they broke what didnā€™t need to be fixed, or at least offered the settings to put it back like it used to be.

I donā€™t know if I prefer GTā€™s chase cams to other games, but itā€™s what Iā€™m used to, and Iā€™ve generally appreciated their resistance to adding gimmicks like motion blur, water droplets and camera shake.

EDIT: I think it might be a glitch, since the chase cam tilts exactly like the bumper and hood cams do. Theyā€™re supposed to, chase is not. Weā€™ll see if it gets fixed.

Last edited:
I pretty much exclusively play every racing game in chase cam, unless itā€™s a really close quarters race with bump drafting like on blue moon bay or something. I donā€™t enjoy playing with other cameras since I like seeing the cars beside me and off the back corners of the car, and I canā€™t hit my braking points with any other view.

The chase cam in GT7 is atrocious. Iā€™ve been fine with it in literally ever GT game, but this gives me a headache. It feels like itā€™s meant for a motorcycle racing game, leaning all over the place. I changed the settings to pretty much every combination (including 10-0, which feels like the camera is mounted on a helium balloon being towed behind the car) and they just make it worse.

Itā€™s definitely worst with the higher cars like the hatchbacks with high COG, and itā€™s less noticeable with the race cars, so who knows, maybe Iā€™ll get more used to it when I get to the games bread and butter. But itā€™s a massive downgrade from GTS and I donā€™t know why they broke what didnā€™t need to be fixed, or at least offered the settings to put it back like it used to be.

I donā€™t know if I prefer GTā€™s chase cams to other games, but itā€™s what Iā€™m used to, and Iā€™ve generally appreciated their resistance to adding gimmicks like motion blur, water droplets and camera shake.

EDIT: I think it might be a glitch, since the chase cam tilts exactly like the bumper and hood cams do. Theyā€™re supposed to, chase is not. Weā€™ll see if it gets fixed.
The chase can is directly connected to the front suspension. If you install racing suspension you can dial the spring frequency to make it harder and results in a stable view

I believe the chase cam took some inspiration from arcade titles like WMMT5 and the newer releases, look up that , you can call them similar. I don't hate it but I do wish they could add more functionality to it via options like ability to rotate around the car.

Yeh the chase cam is iconic to the GT series, and its dreadful. Every other game does it better.
I'd argue Assetto Corsa and DIRT 5 shipped with a worse chase cam, lol

In DIRT5 you can't even see the track ahead if you pick the wrong car, so you can't drive in 3rd person. Hell of a feature that one

Last edited:
I'd argue Assetto Corsa and DIRT 5 shipped with a worse chase cam, lol

In DIRT5 you can't even see the track ahead if you pick the wrong car, so you can't drive in 3rd person. Hell of a feature that one
I think you make a mistake about the problem we complain. I have DIRT 5 (from release) and I've never had the slightest problem with the 3rd view, which by the way is nice (just like most games). We are talking about to make the camera less stiff on rotation, nothing other. Just like gt sport when you put 0 ; 0 on chase view settings (even if it still might improved , it would be good yet and much better than the current one ).

Last edited:
Yea the chase cam feels like its a mounted go pro on a long selfie stick. Every tilt the car does, does the camera aswell. In GTS the track is fixed and the car moves dynamically. It was perfect except for not being able to rotate it.

Now its the opposite the track moves around the car.

Last edited:
how awkward it looks/feels playing in 3rd person, which is by far my preferred way to play.
If youā€™re not sure what Iā€™m talking about, play or watch a video of any of the Forza Motorsport games while in chase cam.
When I play Forza, like you I greatly prefer the chase cam, but in GT the chase cam sucks and I use the so-called bumper cam. You just have to use the best view that each game provides, and IMO "bumper" cam is the best view in GT. Note that the "bumper" cam isn't actually a view from the location of the bumper, it's a view from the location of the driver's head, just without the car drawn on screen, i.e. it's kind of like a transparent car cockpit view.

Last edited:
It's funny, I Just read a article from a famous german game news site which picked up the topic as well and even mentioned this thread šŸ˜‚šŸ’ŖšŸ»
Seems like it starts to go viral and when I read the comments many agree and also critisize that you can't rotate the camera.

Last edited:
I think you make a mistake about the problem we complain. I have DIRT 5 (from release) and I've never had the slightest problem with the 3rd view, which by the way is nice (just like most games). We are talking about to make the camera less stiff on rotation, nothing other. Just like gt sport when you put 0 ; 0 on chase view settings (even if it still might improved , it would be good yet and much better than the current one ).
Nah there's no mistake about my complaint regarding chase cams. Contrary to your experience, I do have a problem with DIRT 5's camera in more ways than one and as mentioned above. I do not like it nor do I think it's all that nice when it comes in the way of the driving like I mentioned earlier, forza and even carx does it better, but regardless, we're here to talk about GT7, so let's forget all other games for now.

I have no real qualms with GT7's camera since on default setting it's an incremental but welcome improvement on GT Sport. It's more in tune with games of the time now, and people will either like it or not.

Last edited:
I finally express a little doubt on the fact that 0 sensitivity would bring the same result as gt sport in the current range of effect in gt7... If we look closely, the minimum sensitivity (which is 1/10 ) should be equivalent to 0.1 (/1) in gt sport, according to the slider subdivision , right ? It's not really the case, in term of result it looks more like 0.5 sensitivity from gt sport (and that is why we observe a real difference with gt sport ideal settings 0).
So let's imagine that PD understand half of the request and allow zero value , but this only gives a tenth more latency than currently (according to the current range scale), it will not be significant as we hoped... May be we should hope rather they bring back the exact same sensitivity management than gt sport ( or really less sensitivity than currently, probably about -10 on the current range)..

Last edited:
The chase can is directly connected to the front suspension. If you install racing suspension you can dial the spring frequency to make it harder and results in a stable view
what do you mean by stable view ? we just want more inertia (less reactivity/sensibility) when camera rotates on its vertical axis to make it less rigid, but I will try what you recommend to see the result...

Last edited:
I've changed my mind about chase cam in GT7. I was really struggling with the R92CP licence test using "bumper" cam, so I tried chase cam and was instantly much faster due to being able to judge when to turn in so much better with the higher viewpoint. I'm using it most of the time now! One problem is it not showing RPM, so I still go to "bumper" cam to get a reference for where my shift point needs to be on the red bar, then back to chase cam to drive. The lack of a mirror is also a problem compared to "bumper" cam.

Last edited:
I've changed my mind about chase cam in GT7. I was really struggling with the R92CP licence test using "bumper" cam, so I tried chase cam and was instantly much faster due to being able to judge when to turn in so much better with the higher viewpoint. I'm using it most of the time now! One problem is it not showing RPM, so I still go to "bumper" cam to get a reference for where my shift point needs to be on the red bar, then back to chase cam to drive. The lack of a mirror is also a problem compared to "bumper" cam.
I'm glad! It takes a lot to change views, but it's great you were able to.

Chase cam can be quiet fun! But PD definitely needs to add the 360Ā° rotation and give us the option to make it more loose. Currently its just too static behind the car. It shouldnt be a problem at all to add it.
I would like to know what Kaz would reply to it when being asked why it is like that.

Last edited:
Just boot up the game for the first time today. Unplayable thanks to the chase cam, it's atrocious ! Why does it lean with the car ? In GTS it was perfect and they broke it, like they always do. I would not have bought the game until they fixed it if I had known that.

I don't know what's worse between this chase cam and the one from GT5/6. It's always the same with PD, one step forward two step back.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. But it gets better once you install a race suspension on the normal cars. Race cars are almost got sport.

I know how you feel. But it gets better once you install a race suspension on the normal cars. Race cars are almost got sport.
But it was so good in GTS :( why would they not give the option to have it like that...
I had a real sense of what the car was doing, it was really fun, now it feels stiff for some reason.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean. What bothers me no one is talking about that on ps5 chase canm drops frame rate really badly in Daytona gt 3 race and trail mountain without rain. Game is not locked 60fps that everyone says

what do you mean by stable view ? we just want more inertia (less reactivity/sensibility) when camera rotates on its vertical axis to make it less rigid, but I will try what you recommend to see the result...
Because the chase cam is tied into the motion of the front suspension, the less the car moves around under braking/accelerating and cornering, the less the camera will move.

My prefered method has always been the chase cam, or 3rd person as you call it.

When I play a racing game, I like to view the car and it's obviously much better to look around for other cars on track as well. I tried the bumper view and it's atrocious for me, can't hit any breaking points and it's way too low.
I can handle the hood camera fine though but I still think the chase cam makes me handle corners better.

Cockpit view is amazing, but it obstructs you a lot. It's impossible to be implemented in the same way as real life because in the game you have no peripheral vision. Unless it's VR, and even then it's still not the same as IRL.
However, if it's a car with a center cockpit, like most LMP cars, Formula cars or the McLaren F1, it's much easier to handle. Even better if it's an open cockpit.

I've gotten so used to this chase cam since the GT4 days that it no longer bothers me. However, I do agree it could be more dynamic than what it is.
Forza does a good job at this, but Assetto Corsa is horrible, way too dynamic, it's one of the main reasons (outside of the game having horrid controller optimization) that I don't play Assetto Corsa.

My prefered method has always been the chase cam, or 3rd person as you call it.

When I play a racing game, I like to view the car and it's obviously much better to look around for other cars on track as well. I tried the bumper view and it's atrocious for me, can't hit any breaking points and it's way too low.
I can handle the hood camera fine though but I still think the chase cam makes me handle corners better.

Cockpit view is amazing, but it obstructs you a lot. It's impossible to be implemented in the same way as real life because in the game you have no peripheral vision. Unless it's VR, and even then it's still not the same as IRL.
However, if it's a car with a center cockpit, like most LMP cars, Formula cars or the McLaren F1, it's much easier to handle. Even better if it's an open cockpit.

I've gotten so used to this chase cam since the GT4 days that it no longer bothers me. However, I do agree it could be more dynamic than what it is.
Forza does a good job at this, but Assetto Corsa is horrible, way too dynamic, it's one of the main reasons (outside of the game having horrid controller optimization) that I don't play Assetto Corsa.
Exactly the same for me, I've played years at GT4 which had the same 3rd view cam so I'm quite used to it and I feel comfortable with it.
I played FM7 and I didn't like the 3rd person cam at all, so I'm guessing it depends from people.

Exactly the same for me, I've played years at GT4 which had the same 3rd view cam so I'm quite used to it and I feel comfortable with it.
I played FM7 and I didn't like the 3rd person cam at all, so I'm guessing it depends from people.
that's why a chase cam should always have some parameters to accomodate all players (distance, height, inertia and fov) or at least real different settings views. We just ask for more flexibility with sensitivity setting in gt7, like gt sport have, not replace the current default chase cam. Just PD should let the choice and it's not a hard work to do for them to just increase the sensitivity range as gt sport.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back