Cheating and cutting in SMS TT

• Thread starter Arveena
  • 38 comments
Germany
Germany
arveena
So the cutting is omnipresent in TT in Project cars we all can agree on that. And we are waiting for a fix.
Also as long as there is no real system to prevent people from doing that it will happen.
But SMS started deleting ghosts which were cutting or cheating too much (very vague).
So this is when cutting becomes cheating:
You cut the track as much as possible so much that you can be sure your time will be deleted than you just turn you system off and you have no ghost saved. So you are not only cutting but also cheating.

What does SMS do?
They are allowing it.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...rs-is-a-Slap-in-the-Face-of-every-clean-racer

Please support this if you are against all form of cheating in an title which has an esports tab on his mainpage

That whole competition is a joke. I was interested until I ran the 1st TT and saw the cheating going on. It's so bad that all I could do was shake my head and laugh. Those guys wouldn't last 5 minutes in the GTP WRS.

Anyway, I now play career which I'm thoroughly enjoying and I've found a nice group of guys to have TT's and online racing with.

I hope they sort it out as the idea of the competition is good, but the execution is terrible.

That whole competition is a joke. I was interested until I ran the 1st TT and saw the cheating going on. It's so bad that all I could do was shake my head and laugh. Those guys wouldn't last 5 minutes in the GTP WRS.

Anyway, I now play career which I'm thoroughly enjoying and I've found a nice group of guys to have TT's and online racing with.

I hope they sort it out as the idea of the competition is good, but the execution is terrible.

We should make a GTP clan thingy and beat them in every fair competetion like the last one in RA^^

It is not cutting that bothers me. It is the cheating (corrupting ghost data) part just to get away with the cutting and SMS allowing it what bothering me. Those cut always happen at the begining of an Esport title it is how you handle it what makes the difference. Lets remember the GT academy the first year. There were also exploits and cuts but PD did handle it pretty well. With deleting everything not counting the rounds which were involved etc and in the end the best guys won not the guys who cheated.

Last edited:
It was a major disappointment to me that the track boundaries weren't sorted before release. I would have thought it was high on the priority list and the would have had people specifically checking each track. Put a real damper on the competition.

It was a major disappointment to me that the track boundaries weren't sorted before release. I would have thought it was high on the priority list and the would have had people specifically checking each track. Put a real damper on the competition.

I agree, you'd think the white line would be the boundary and checks to make sure at least 1 wheel is inside the line

It is not cutting that bothers me. It is the cheating (corrupting ghost data) part just to get away with the cutting and SMS allowing it what bothering me. Those cut always happen at the begining of an Esport title it is how you handle it what makes the difference. Lets remember the GT academy the first year. There were also exploits and cuts but PD did handle it pretty well. With deleting everything not counting the rounds which were involved etc and in the end the best guys won not the guys who cheated.
That does not bother me personally for now (Especially on consoles as less chance of hacking, no sign so far on PC) and don't know if it is intentional or not. After all there is no benefit of not having these ghosts available as SMS review these and see people missing corners completely and then hand out points and prizes for that even if they stated they won't. How well you can go over speed bumps and find the best cutting line and setup for it is heavily rewarded in this eSport so why hide from it? Only ones that will be punished are the ones that follow their rules.

That does not bother me personally for now (Especially on consoles as less chance of hacking, no sign so far on PC) and don't know if it is intentional or not. After all there is no benefit of not having these ghosts available as SMS review these and see people missing corners completely and then hand out points and prizes for that even if they stated they won't. How well you can go over speed bumps and find the best cutting line and setup for it is heavily rewarded in this eSport so why hide from it? Only ones that will be punished are the ones that follow their rules.

It is as easily doable on the PC as on the console. If you have a little bit of understanding how it all works the uploads etc. It is not even that hard to find out. While the cuts obviously needs some work and I agree on you that there should be no points or prices. This one is even worse because there is no doubt of it beeing an intentional manipulation of game data.It does not matter why it was done. Even if the laps (which of course they not) would be clean this needs to be addressed. While you have some arguments as a cutter(e.g no rules at the begining which allows you to cut) the manipulation of game data is against the eula and then letting them get away with that is ludacris. But the are investigating it now

I think SMS tried to allow "real world" lines and this may have been abused. Some tracks allow a certain degree of cutting due to the flow of the track at high speed so long as they don't get a sizable advantage.

I've not seen the ghosts but I've used proper race lines from my real world experience and was pleased that they allowed it in pcars... But it's not allowed it GT.

Even GT Academy had to redo a couple tracks after cheating was discovered.

SMS have also reevaluated their stance on what they said was allowed, some different sort of evidence... But I don't know what, just that it's a specific group that is being targeted.

It is as easily doable on the PC as on the console. If you have a little bit of understanding how it all works the uploads etc. It is not even that hard to find out. While the cuts obviously needs some work and I agree on you that there should be no points or prices. This one is even worse because there is no doubt of it beeing an intentional manipulation of game data.It does not matter why it was done. Even if the laps (which of course they not) would be clean this needs to be addressed. While you have some arguments as a cutter(e.g no rules at the begining which allows you to cut) the manipulation of game data is against the eula and then letting them get away with that is ludacris. But the are investigating it now
It is not manipulation of game data, rather stopping access of that data. Not sure if it is intentional or not yet. I don't want to get to situation where if you set your fastest lap and it happens to have a failed upload whether it is game glitch, server issue or your Internet, your time will be deleted from the event. It doesn't stop people who cut as their lap is still valid so no reason to hide at the moment. It will just punish whoever is unfortunate enough to not have their ghost data uploaded. Maybe it will be useful for PC in future if there is some kind of exploit but doubt it is of much use for consoles.

It is not manipulation of game data, rather stopping access of that data. Not sure if it is intentional or not yet. I don't want to get to situation where if you set your fastest lap and it happens to have a failed upload whether it is game glitch, server issue or your Internet, your time will be deleted from the event. It doesn't stop people who cut as their lap is still valid so no reason to hide at the moment. It will just punish whoever is unfortunate enough to not have their ghost data uploaded. Maybe it will be useful for PC in future if there is some kind of exploit but doubt it is of much use for consoles.

When you loose you internet connection you get a big screen right in front of your face that tells you to go back to your racecentral so you will not put a fastest lap in with no internet connection. Same goes for server issues. It also greys out your screen. You need to do it on purpose and drive with that screen.

When you loose you internet connection you get a big screen right in front of your face that tells you to go back to your racecentral so you will not put a fastest lap in with no internet connection. Same goes for server issues. It also greys out your screen. You need to do it on purpose and drive with that screen.
You can put in fast lap, will update time but while uploading ghost, if it fails then it won't be available. Has happened to me in GT and seen lack of ghosts on pCARS before. Look at this for example, you can see missing ghosts: Link

This lack of ghost = punishment means it could happen to any of us and get disqualified from an event if we can't do a lap faster that uploads properly. Doesn't do anything for track limits verification as if you cut heavily and your ghost shows that, they reward people who do that and seem to admire these tricks.

Last edited:
did you read 1.4 patchnotes these ghost missing should be all from before 1.4 that is when the box was implemented. Happend to me also before 1.4 never after.
But i admit we should not even discuss this topic if the cheaters were not abusing it it would be fine as it is

did you read 1.4 patchnotes these ghost missing should be all from before 1.4 that is when the box was implemented. Happend to me also before 1.4 never after.
But i admit we should not even discuss this topic if the cheaters were not abusing it it would be fine as it is
Look at link I posted in last post, the event was Wisconsin Retrospective and you can see some missed ghosts on there.

We don't know if they are abusing it or not, main problem is IMO these laps are classed as valid no matter how bad corner cutting is.

I stopped paying any attention to the TT in Pcars at the Le Mans entry. I used one of the top 10 times as a ghost. They cut the last chicane so badly, he/she had half a second on me by the end of the pit lane. Half a second. In the first 300 yards. And then, At the first chicane they straight lined it so much it looked like a horrific brake failure. Which put me 2.6 seconds behind, in 2 corners.

It's stopped me from enjoying that particular portion of the game. I'll never be a world beater with lap times. But whats the point in even trying if its so easy to cheat? Am I really 400th in the world? Or am i actually 300th? I've been seeing on youtube people posting their lap vids. An people in the comments are asking for tips an tricks, wanting to be faster. An the lap in the video would be thrown out IRL without so much as a second glance. I know its a game/sim. Certain aspects will never be entirely true to life. But, 2 wheels on the track at all times, please. Failing that. Big walls placed all around the track just in the TT mode. Massive things. Cut that an see how high you get on the leaderboards. :lol:

Those track limits don't look fixed.
Agreed..if anything is a track cut this is...but no penalty..
upload_2015-6-30_23-2-54.png

I guess my definition of track limits is very different to SMS'.
And this is after the patch 2.0 fixes ...
What a joke!

Last edited:
I don't know how Dubai could have slipped through, also Nürburgring GP. I drove the McLaren F1 - 3h Zolder Race last night and the track limits were enforced properly from what i could see.

Dubai could've slipped through due to the fact, judging by his latest posts, Ian Bell doesn't have a clue to where any of the limits are on the tracks chosen in HIS own game.

Would've thought that they had consulted on this type of thing in an official capacity, even track by track and dropped info in game to some of the quirky ones i.e. Different kerb widths, sausages and no white line?

Something in the vain of text or the narrator lady explaining about tracks due to their age or them having been updated, with a little video showing typical track limits for a particular track.

So in other words they lie with the second patch to .
Releasing a new patch with what they have changed/improved and it seems not to be true for a part .
Man man man , they hit hard/beat in my face that hurts :boggled::indiff: .

But........ach....... gonna do a little trip around NurburgerRing GP :P

Last edited:

a few more

The Sonoma test is actually correct, that is not a track cut. If you saw the last NASCAR race that line is completely legal and ok by the track limits, but I don't know if that is based on the motorsport rules or if its a track wide rule regardless of motorsport...

Hence where the problem lies is there if the rules are per motorsport.

The Zolder cut is the most offensive though, you save like 3 seconds per chicane.... Maybe for TT the tracks have a stricter set of cutting rules but during races more logical ones, since on that chicane with a pack of cars, you might have no choice but to hit the inner green....

I look at cutting a course as simply a Gamer choosing to create a new, fictional race circuit in the game that does not currently exist. Make your own decision to run the "real" or "fictional" track version and monitor the competitors adjacent to you on the leaderboards to determine your own level of skill. Until SMS changes the game ....... I'm really enjoying the TT events with this approach......👍

Last edited:
Back