Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT Super Lap: High Speed Ring

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 198 comments
United Kingdom
London
nowcontrol
Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT Super Lap: High Speed Ring

01_chaparral_vgt-jpg.275142

Image courtesy of JogoAsobi .. Many Thanks.

Rankings Registration: 17/12/2014, 04:00 GMT/UTC – 15/01/2015, 03:00 GMT/UTC
Period of Availability: 17/12/2014, 04:00 GMT/UTC – 15/01/2015, 03:00 GMT/UTC

Entry Requirements:
N/A: Courtesy Car Provided

Prizes:
Gold: Cr. 200,000
Silver: Cr. 120,000
Bronze: Cr. 80,000

Gift(s):
Gold: N/A
Prize For taking Part: Chevrolet Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo

Target Time:
Gold: 0:46.000
Silver: 0:49.000
Bronze: 0:56.000

SRF is forced OFF (grayed out) in Driving Options menu.

Course Conditions:
Track: High Speed Ring
Track Length: 2.49 miles / 4007 m
Time of day: **:**
Temp: *
Precipitation: 0%

Cant even get gold here...

Just when you think you're doing alright a magic understeer switch activates and the car falls off the track at any speed.

Edit: Think I've figured it out. On a controller it's limiting the steering input massively to stop the front tyres from scrubbing. Problem is that's the quick way to drive it if you watch any of the replays.

Last edited:
Edit: Think I've figured it out. On a controller it's limiting the steering input massively to stop the front tyres from scrubbing. Problem is that's the quick way to drive it if you watch any of the replays.

So the understeering is a controller-centric issue? I could barely edge out a Bronze lap, and that was after 4 or 5 laps where I would always hit the outside wall on the last corner... So wheel users could actually have an advantage in this event?

So the understeering is a controller-centric issue? I could barely edge out a Bronze lap, and that was after 4 or 5 laps where I would always hit the outside wall on the last corner... So wheel users could actually have an advantage in this event?

From what I can tell, yes.

47.7 on a controller, couldn't go faster. First lap with a wheel, 45.015 - plenty more left in it if you spend the time.

Stems from being able to turn a wheel as much as you want so you scrub the tyres, it corners like it's on rails then. Can do T2 at 180MPH+ really easily with a wheel and I couldn't get close to that with a controller. Not saying gold is impossible with a DS3, just a hell of a lot easier with a wheel.

From what I can tell, yes.

47.7 on a controller, couldn't go faster. First lap with a wheel, 45.015 - plenty more left in it if you spend the time.

Stems from being able to turn a wheel as much as you want so you scrub the tyres, it corners like it's on rails then. Can do T2 at 180MPH+ really easily with a wheel and I couldn't get close to that with a controller. Not saying gold is impossible with a DS3, just a hell of a lot easier with a wheel.

Schimit (avoiding a swear word here, FYI), that's a quick lap with a wheel. So this car does in fact work better if you own a wheel. And here I am trying to drive it with a Dual Shock 3...

Pardon my slight ignorance, but what does this "scrubbing the tires" thing consist of? Getting the tires as close as you can to the apex of the corner without going over?

So this basically confirms my suspicion. The car is very limited by the DS3.
However turning the ASM on helps with the understeering problem. My best time with the DS3 so far is 46.781.

Schimit (avoiding a swear word here, FYI), that's a quick lap with a wheel. So this car does in fact work better if you own a wheel. And here I am trying to drive it with a Dual Shock 3...

Pardon my slight ignorance, but what does this "scrubbing the tires" thing consist of? Getting the tires as close as you can to the apex of the corner without going over?

Scrubbing is when the tyres are sliding while turned. So if you had the wheels turned right and the car was going straight on the front tyres would be scrubbing. The extent at which it happens will depend on the steering angle and the load on the front tyres. Easiest way to see it is just turn too much in the Lotus 98T and watch the smoke come off the tyres.

In the 2X you seem to be quicker when the tyres are scrubbing like crazy because more steering angle just makes it turn more.

Yeah I'm at 47.6 and trying everything I can think of. Braking later to get a later apex with more exit speed was all I could do to get faster. I haven't hit this many walls at High Speed Ring in my life.

The other Seasonals were cake, relatively speaking.

Couldn't get gold last night. Got silver and was 1st out of all my friends list at the time. Top guy in the world at the time somehow got a 42sec. I'm using a controller and think I have figured it out, but we will see if I can get gold. If I do I'll post a video on how to do it with a controller.

Hi,
matched the gold time with a DS3 at 45.979.
Tried a lot, my best results: Hole lap on full throttle, even if you are braking. I was about 1.5 sec. faster then my times with 'normal' driving. Braking earlier, but much faster IN the corner. And ASM on.
Maybe it helps also others, don't think that i am a very good driver^^.

Last edited:
Hi,
Tried a lot, my best results: Hole lap on full throttle, even if you are breaking. I was about 1.5 sec. faster then my times with 'normal' driving. Braking earlier, but much faster IN the corner. And ASM on.

Nice tip! Did as you said with the hole lap at full throttle and finally managed 45.930 (after an incredibly frustating 46.001).
My settings were ABS 10, ASM on and steering sensitivity at 7.

Hi,
Tried a lot, my best results: Hole lap on full throttle, even if you are breaking. I was about 1.5 sec. faster then my times with 'normal' driving. Braking earlier, but much faster IN the corner. And ASM on.

Interesting, I didn't try that because I use the sticks for throttle and brake. Still a huge difference between that and a wheel though.

I got Silver (48.730) on DS3 with asm on. That's the best I can do for now since I don't have a wheel. The understeer is so...frustrating because just when you think "oh its not gonna understeer because im at a low enough speed for this type of car to not understeer" BAM! right in the middle of the corner that magical switch turns on then WAM! into the wall or on the far edge of the track line. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hi,

Tried this trick and got 45.949 (was at 48.0) after 15 min or so :lol:. I found that ABS off helped too 👍

The steering feels very "random" with the DS3 for sure. Sometimes the car turns quite nicely but then it suddenly goes straight to the wall...

Gave it a quick attempt, but it ended with me giving up. Such a useless "car".:banghead:
Then I read this:

Hi,

👍:tup:I didn't hold the pedal to the metal all through the lap, but I didn't release it completely either, which made it a lot more stable during braking. The end result after reading @Tentakel 's post

image.jpg

Didn't put the phone away in time, so the first lap got red because of me messing up and hitting the wall :embarrassed:

Well, I'm gonna get my credits and move on. This thing is probably never gonna be used again...ever

Finally. I get 294th on the on the world rankings. Only 2 other Brits ahead of me.:cool:
Still, I suppose it was 6.30 this morning and I was still over a second away from Gold.:grumpy:

Only got time for a couple of laps before work. Will try for something better tomorrow.

I Brake and turn at the same points on every lap.. The result each time seems to be very different though...:lol: Very very weird TT. Consistency seems really hard

Did 43.0 but can do first and last corners so much quicker (randomly)

Back