Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT Super Lap: High Speed Ring

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 198 comments
Quick go at this last night. Managed a low 44 with plenty of mistakes, no thanks to the four-wheel-steering making this car handle like a dog on roller skates. And you guys thought the Red Bull cars were bad :lol:.

best I've managed so far is a 51. I expected this car to handle better than it does. So I'm off to practice in test drive instead of one frustrating lap after the other I had a good time going and hit the outside wall in the last left hander before the straight. I think I will try the ASM tip and see what happens.

Well after a couple red laps in the 45's and lots of this 🤬 and screaming baby next to me finally got it and ended with 45.550 after 208 k's and i am done :D

Mann this thing is hard. If you touch the kerbs its over. And it hardly steers. I think this time ill have to be satified with silver. I need 1.5sec for gold. Impossible

Last edited:
Stunning concept and the driving position is insane. Imagine how tall you'd be after a heavy front end collision...

Only done a couple of laps so far with it (49s on a DS3) and couldn't understand how the dynamics worked but @eran0004 seems to have explained it very well.👍

This car is even worse than the Red Bull Fan Cars. Wipeout revisited. Once I realised you can take almost all of the banked turns either flat out or with only slightly slowing at entry, and you only need to be careful in the chicane in the middle (probably downforce due to lower speeds is missing so the car needs to rely on mechanical grip more, so it only turns at speeds closer to real cars), my first valid lap was a 44.0. And that's where I left it. Thanks for the credits.

I find it ridiculous how this car gets a PP value of only 793. That's about what the Formula Gran Turismo has. Apparently the PP-calculation doesn't really work with laser propulsion engines. I didn't look at the power-graph, but probably the torque is missing and throws it off.

If, if you drive it as it should be driven, it's incredible. If you make a tiny mistake, if you let your mind think of it as a normal car, it struggles massively.

Dive into corners on full brakes, get as far away from the apex as you can, then use full throttle without touching the kerbs. That seems the way to do it. ASM also takes a good second or two off the lap.

This car is even worse than the Red Bull Fan Cars. Wipeout revisited. Once I realised you can take almost all of the banked turns either flat out or with only slightly slowing at entry, and you only need to be careful in the chicane in the middle (probably downforce due to lower speeds is missing so the car needs to rely on mechanical grip more, so it only turns at speeds closer to real cars), my first valid lap was a 44.0. And that's where I left it. Thanks for the credits.

I find it ridiculous how this car gets a PP value of only 793. That's about what the Formula Gran Turismo has. Apparently the PP-calculation doesn't really work with laser propulsion engines. I didn't look at the power-graph, but probably the torque is missing and throws it off.

A normal car is similar to an airplane in the sense that the faster you go the more lift (negative lift) is generated.

The Chaparral is more similar to a rocket because the lift depends on the thrust and not on the airspeed. So going faster per se doesn't help in the corners, while generating thrust does.

The FGT has 880 PP, the Chaparral is somewhere in between the FGT and the RBX Junior. The main reason why it has such a low PP is probably because it doesn't generate the downforce from airspeed. Airspeed generated downforce (like from a flat floor) gives a big PP boost, and the effect probably increases the higher you go on the PP range. That's why cars like the RBX Junior is useless against other cars of the same PP, because it gets most of its PP from the downforce and not from the power and weight. I doubt that there even is a parameter for engine generated downforce in the PP system.

Maybe that's what Chaparral was aiming for the entire time, to "cheat the system" like they did with the 2J fan car back in the days. Staying within the regulations and still having a huge advantage by implementing new technology that no one else even thought about.

Hi again,
Sorry for my bad english, non native.
But i try to explain my theory:

I think, the grip of the X2 at higher speed doesn't belong with downforce. The fastest way to run this kind of drive train should be, to throttle exactly as much as the tyres are already going. Because at this point, the forces on the tyres are the possibly lowest. The tyres are (except braking) just rolling, so the only force on them are the weight of the car and the cornering. By throtteling, the force from the carweight doesnt't lays any more on the wheels, it goes more 'backwards', where the thrust is compensating it. So the tyres can use their theoretical possible grip, without any more forces on it, which could handicap the 'circle of forces', except of cornering speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_forces

That way makes sense, why it can cornering faster by throtteling... I think.

Hope it is possible to understand.:lol:

Last edited:
If you don't have a wheel to drive, it's very difficult to gold this one with the DS3. I golded it with a time of 0:45,8xx after a lot of tries. It's been a long time since I was trying so much to gold a seasonal event...

Finally got gold with DS3. After around 850km's and something like 3 hours trying. My best was 46.084 with multiple 46.3xx before that.
Took a break and I was so frustrated when I tried again that I didn't even bother putting the headphones, and after 5 or 6 tries I got 45.342. ABS 10, ASM on, and control sensitivity 7. Full throttle the whole lap and braking the least possible as many people said.

Never ever got a seasonal so hard and with so many tries as this one. Now the car is never going to be driven ever again.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AFT-IUdqqbMQ0LU&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141218_150040(1).jpg
    IMG_20141218_150040(1).jpg
    393 KB · Views: 8
Managed to do a 47.3 and Im getting tired of the car might try it later on tonight again or tomorrow, depending on how frustrating I get. Would be my only silver in the game at this time.

Gave this a go, what a pile of manure this car is! That laser propulsion system must have R&D occupied permanently because the handling is non-existent. Utter joke!

I might give this another go with the tips above, but is it worth upgrading a silver to gold and probably destroying a DS3 in the process? Would rather listen to Last Christmas on repeat...

"Last christmas, we gave you a car,
but the very next day, you drove it away.
This year, we'll cause you some tears,
and make sure it handles like 🤬"

I love it. A couple of goes this morning turned yesterday's Silver into the Gold.

After reading Eran004 's post: "The Chaparral is more similar to a rocket because the lift depends on the thrust and not on the airspeed. So going faster per se doesn't help in the corners, while generating thrust does. (etc)" I shall try to get something under 45 secs.

Some tops for DS3 users? I have got a long way to go, just at 47.006. heh.

When it seems like ive got a fast lap in, a wall appears.

ABS 10, ASM on and keep the throttle planted at all times. Otherwise you'll have to do what I did and use a wheel.

I just drive it like a yellow bird on amphetamines!
Really like chaparral take on the future of racing and the new variety it brings to the game

Silver, different, like it and hate it.:confused: Don't know what to think of it.
Did not need the gold credits, so i'm done.All 17th december events gold except this one, got my 10million.
Very wierd expierence.

I just drive it like a yellow bird on amphetamines!
Really like chaparral take on the future of racing and the new variety it brings to the game

And yet people misunderstand Chaparral's intentions and think the car is garbage... :irked: It isn't garbage, you're just not driving it the right way. The 2X is either brilliant (if you get it right) or godawful (if you get it wrong). That's all there is to it.

Wanna say big thankyou to spectrum32 for the tips and adjustments..
Im also with DS3. First i improved by 0.500. Nedded 1sec to gold. Then did a 46.084 like you..
I tought damn, so close...
Then after about 15laps i did a 45.889, and that was it.. :)

Like Niku Driver HC says
"The 2X is either brilliant (if you get it right) or godawful (if you get it wrong). That's all there is to it."

Thats true about the car..

This car must be driven like you are a mad man. Its fun and frustrating at the same time. To get gold with DS3 you must avoid the curbs at all cost.

The tips I just gathered from everyone else, but still it was a real pain to gold this one.

Add another DS3 user to the gold list... really didn't think I could do it, but got 1:45.905 after multiple attempts. DS3 in AT with (sadly) ASM on and ABS 10. Doubt I could get it done without those setting tbh.

Cheers

You guys are motivating me to get back at it. I feel defeated really. This hasn't happen to me since GT5 Vettel, which I eventually got. I need ~3 tenths. The hardest 3 tenths of GT6 so far. Senna was easier!

The right side of my pointer finger hurts from smashing down on the X button and trying the feather the stick for braking. :lol:

Back