chilicoke's cockpit *03/15 UPDATE: Carbon fiber shifter paddles (pg8)

• Thread starter chilicoke
  • 245 comments
Center cap for your wheel with a personal logo too would look nice as a finishing touch. 💡
That would be REALLY cool.. might give it a try in the future.👍
Hi I love your cockpit. I seen a picture of it somewhere else but could never find out where the picture was from. I was going to try and built one roughly the same but after finding this thread i am wondering if you would be kind enough to share the plans/dimensions of it all. And I would love to know how you rigged up that handbrake if its not too much trouble for you. I'm sure many others here would like to know as well as it is one of the better cockpit to be featured here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks, Cougar23. :)

Thanks for your kind words. I believe the reason I enjoy my cockpit so much is because it's exactly what I want and feels just like my car. When I first sketched up the plans, the very first thing I did was finalized the position of the most important bits (steering wheel location, pedals, shifter seat etc) to replicate my car, then simply come up with placement of each bars to connect everything together. I've always encouraged others to create something original to satisfy their desire, so I'll do the same here instead of just posting the dimensions. Though I would gladly provide any help to assist you guys and your cockpits. Hope you'll understand. :)

I just want to say, all around great cockpit. 👍
I'm impressed with the shifter console, very neat. Have you considered an e-brake boot made from the same materials as the shifter boot? I see your S2000 has a black and red interior so I see where the color scheme for the boot came from.
I also have another question. Why are the cross members bolted on while the rest of the frame is welded? My assumption would be to change the width of the cockpit, if ever needed.

Again 👍
Thank you. Red stitching has always been popular in the S2000 community regardless of interior/exterior color, and of course it just looks so damn cool. The idea of.e-brake boot had never crossed my mind because my car doesn't have one :P, Though I have thought about wrapping it Alcantara with red stiching.:drool:
ASM_Handbrake-Shiftboot_MEP.thumb_medium

This one is leather of course.

About the bolts, your guess is fairly close. The cockpit was welded in two general sections (left and right with center console) then bolted with crossbeams so it could be taken apart, transport through doors, and also to reduce amount of space required if it ever gets stored away (like my old cockpit did:guilty:).
I am amazed. Very well done job. I don't think I'd ever get off that thing if I had it at home.

I'm impressed with the pedals...I want my G25 pedals like that too, its more realistic. Is there any chance you could do a tutorial/guide for the pedals like you did for the steering wheel? That would be Aces.

Cheers mate
I could, but flipping the pedals wont be as straight-forward as swapping the steering wheel. Taking apart the pedals is pretty easy, but in order to mount them upside down you'll need a solid mount or some sort, which varies from one's cockpit to another.
That's really awesome, you did an excellent job.

Is it possible to keep the paddle shifters and use the steering wheel adapter? I saw the adapter listed on eBay and was thinking about buying one after I get a G27.

Yes, removing the paddle shifters is entire optional. Though with a bigger diameter they would be further away from your finger tips. I took mine off because I almost never use them.
I saw your Cockpit on another forum a while back and was amazed at the quality and simplicity. And I love the updates you have done. Any chance you have a tutorial of how you did your pedals and e-brake?

Thanks
Pedals are very mod friendly and again pretty easy once you have something to mount onto. E-brake was wired up directly to the shifter's internal circuit board by tracing the circuit from the circle button and soldered away from the button itself so it would stayed functional.
Thanks man, I don't have one yet, but have been looking into the mods out there so know exactly what you mean.
I envy access you have, I have a degree in product design engineering and the know-how, but no access decent facilities to construct the elaborate yet easy-to-store cockpit i'm designing in my head.

But you have got me looking at e-brakes on ebay...I never knew how much I wanted a centre console for GT5... ;)

👍 Please keep us updated with your progress.
FINALLY, you made it here ChiliCoke! Man, I've been trying for about a year to get you to post over here! LoL! I've sent at least 2 or 3 PM's via YouTube and even posted this thread right here on the GTP Forums trying to get some additional help! But it's all good...now to the question I have been clamoring to get an answer too for so long ~

How did you do your e-brake setup?

I have waited to do mine specifically until I found out how you did yours. So come on now, give up the details with pics, diagrams, full descriptions and etc! Don't hold out..you are committed now! But in all seriousness I have to say excellent work and craftsmanship. Your setup and another one actually influenced me when I was looking to build one last year; but because of cost effectiveness and location constraints I had to buy a chassis. Hell even the choice of chassis I went with is heavily based off of what was similar to yours!
Thank you for your kind words, I rarely (actually never) read PMs on YouTube for a few personal reasons. I think most of what you are looking for had already been asked and covered in my reply above (sorry :P), please let me know if I missed any.
I first uploaded on YouTube beause friend's friend wanted to see it, would never had guessed it would cause this amount of traffic. :)
Awesome setup and fabrication skills. That looks so fun with the clutch and shifter along with the entire cockpit. :)
PS: That Momo wheel is the very similar to the same one I have in my 69 Camaro. Mine is the Momo Millenium.
Momo makes VERY sweet wheels, Millenium is definitely one of my favorite!👍
You got me that jealous that I just bought your wheel adapter on ebay!. Can't wait to attach my wheel on it. hehee :)

Just a couple weeks ago I said to myself it would be awesome to put on a real steering wheel onto the G25 and thought yeah right...I never knew it was possible. Thankyou!!
Thank you. Just finished packaging your adapter and will drop it off at local post office on my way out. You should have it soon.👍

Thank you guys once again for the compliments. Only if GT5 would come sooner...:(

picture.php

Here is a photo of mine it's more minimalist but it does the job. Designed it myself and built a bunch for LAN parties.

Awesome thanks mate can't wait to get it! :)

I know it won't be as straight forward and it will vary, but it will at least give us an idea of how to do it. I'm scared to open it, at least if I had a video reference I would feel much more confident to do this.

Radracing, could you also provide some details on how you went about inverting your pedals?

Thanks.

Radracing, could you also provide some details on how you went about inverting your pedals?

Thanks.

I just opened up the case for the pedals, switched the gas with the clutch position. Then I inverted all the pedals at the same time switched the gas and the clutch plates since thier function with regard to the position change also. Then I mounted the base on to a bracket that was mounted on the frame. You can find six screw mounts under the original case for the pedals, all you need to do is buy some screw at the hardware store that fits and your done. No rewiring needed just a simple exchange of the pedal position and invertion of the pedal plates.

picture.php

Sweet thanks man. Seems pretty straightforward. I don't know exactly what you mean about the screws under the original case cause in your picture it looks like the bottom isnt mounted to anything...I wonder what I'm gonna mount it to since I'm getting a Playseat Evo next week.

Could you provide more pics please? or better yet a basic video? That would be aces.

Cheers man

Thank you for your kind words, I rarely (actually never) read PMs on YouTube for a few personal reasons. I think most of what you are looking for had already been asked and covered in my reply above (sorry :P), please let me know if I missed any.
I first uploaded on YouTube beause friend's friend wanted to see it, would never had guessed it would cause this amount of traffic. :)

NP man, you deserve the congrats for the quality craftsmanship, design & details you put into it! The only thing you missed is if you could post specifically on how you did your E-Brake all together...was it as simple using the button within the E-brake as the trigger wired/soldered to whatever corresponding spot on the G25 stick shift board for the action in game. Or do you have it being analogue in someway to be a progressive action instead of "instant on" digital?

Awesome setup chilicoke ! It's "the" ultimate cockpit :D So far, it's the best I've seen. Congrats!

Its good but dont over do it, Ive seen plenty to rival or better this.
However whats particulary good about it is the level of finish and the work thats gone into the presentation as I stated and congratulated Chillicoke on.

Questions:
Chillicoke does the bigger and heavier wheel not effect the FFB or rumble effects? Youve took quite a bold step their removing the buttons and paddles.
Are you more content with the bigger wheel and do you feel it suits you better now? Explain the benifits if you can.

Im not so sure about the handbrake, is it much of a benifit, other than to look cool (which it does)
I ask as in GT it will only be a switch, right so then it wont act in an analouge manner.
Also cars in GT5P which use paddles do you then just revert to sequential gears?

Finally if GT5 supports triplescreen do you see yourself going for that?

Last edited:
It would be good for drifting. When using a wheel, sometimes you can't keep the drift going unless you pull the handbrake. That's very easy to do using a controller but almost impossible on a wheel. You have to reach for a button while trying to steer...

The next Logitech wheel after the G27 hopefully will be a complete new version not just some minor update. Maybe then we will see a handbrake for the first time. I hope...

Sweet thanks man. Seems pretty straightforward. I don't know exactly what you mean about the screws under the original case cause in your picture it looks like the bottom isnt mounted to anything...I wonder what I'm gonna mount it to since I'm getting a Playseat Evo next week.

Could you provide more pics please? or better yet a basic video? That would be aces.

Cheers man

picture.php
picture.php

Great work.

Seeing how much people wants to replace the original G25 wheel for one bigger, I don´t understand why this little developers releasing mods for this wheel don´t release an steering wheel and a gear knob for G25/27 replacement, with the ideal weight for not to broke the mechanism.

Awesome overall setup. How much extra stress does a larger wheel put the motors under though?

It looks like it is a substantial size difference.

Awesome overall setup. How much extra stress does a larger wheel put the motors under though?

I asked that earlier, still waiting and did chillicoke remove the rumble feature thats on the original wheel.

Sorry I am a little slow to reply. School just started and I had been pretty busy recently.

Here is a photo of mine it's more minimalist but it does the job. Designed it myself and built a bunch for LAN parties.
Your cockpit also looks fantastic!👍 It looks as solid as a rock!
I just opened up the case for the pedals, switched the gas with the clutch position. Then I inverted all the pedals at the same time switched the gas and the clutch plates since thier function with regard to the position change also. Then I mounted the base on to a bracket that was mounted on the frame. You can find six screw mounts under the original case for the pedals, all you need to do is buy some screw at the hardware store that fits and your done. No rewiring needed just a simple exchange of the pedal position and invertion of the pedal plates.
Radracing basically summed up the entire process. Only difference was I completely got rid of its casing, drilled out the threads at the base of each pedals and mounted them directly onto my cockpit with machine bolts.
NP man, you deserve the congrats for the quality craftsmanship, design & details you put into it! The only thing you missed is if you could post specifically on how you did your E-Brake all together...was it as simple using the button within the E-brake as the trigger wired/soldered to whatever corresponding spot on the G25 stick shift board for the action in game. Or do you have it being analogue in someway to be a progressive action instead of "instant on" digital?
I don't believe GT5 registers handbrake as analogue (variable) input even with PS3 controller's pressure sensitive buttons. Thus it is activated by a simple on/off switch. Not all handbrakes have the same switches, but in the most general terms, you'll want the switch to be activated (make contact) when the leaver is pulled, thus completing the circuit for the circle button.
Chillicoke does the bigger and heavier wheel not effect the FFB or rumble effects? Youve took quite a bold step their removing the buttons and paddles.
Are you more content with the bigger wheel and do you feel it suits you better now? Explain the benifits if you can.

Im not so sure about the handbrake, is it much of a benifit, other than to look cool (which it does)
I ask as in GT it will only be a switch, right so then it wont act in an analouge manner.
Also cars in GT5P which use paddles do you then just revert to sequential gears?

Finally if GT5 supports triplescreen do you see yourself going for that?
350mm wheel does give my hands more leverage against force feedback but definitely not lacking after increasing force feedback strength in GT's option menu. With a full size wheel GT5P felt like a whole different game. Not because it changes the way cars handle but the amount of arm movement and travel I was used to is now completely different. I pretty much had to re-learn drifting all over again as I judge my amount of counter steer based on how much the steering wheel has slipped though my hands. Now, without a doubt feels much closer to over steering in my actual car.

Handbrake is almost useless for racing, but VERY useful for drifting to initiate oversteer on slow/tight corners and also to increase your drifting radius on long, high speed bends.

Triple screen is definitely cool, but if it actually requires three PS3s, I think I'll just stick with my 60" :P
Great work.

Seeing how much people wants to replace the original G25 wheel for one bigger, I don´t understand why this little developers releasing mods for this wheel don´t release an steering wheel and a gear knob for G25/27 replacement, with the ideal weight for not to broke the mechanism.

A full size Momo wheel actually doesn't weight all that much more than the G25 wheels as their size difference may suggest. Compare to other wheels I've owned and took apart (I have a tendency to open up everything I own :)) the G25 was definitely over-designed and can handle much more than its regular form.

As for stressing the motors, those of you who had experience the difference between counter steering on a G25 and other wheels with very high reduction gears (DFP for an example) can confirm that it's motors don't actually "fight" you throughout the entire drift, so there's actually very little additional stress on the motors even on a quick countersteer with a larger wheel vs. a very sudden and heavy jerk against the force feedback on the standard wheel.
I asked that earlier, still waiting and did chillicoke remove the rumble feature thats on the original wheel.
Actually rumble comes from the force feedback motors repeatedly and quickly changing from rotating in the positive to the negative direction many times a second, there is no additional mechanisms on the wheel besides the two red push buttons. Rumble/vibration such as driving over the apex does feel slightly weaker due the same amount of short-burst initial force from the motor driving greater rotational mass, however Force feedback does not suffer from such problem because motors' apply longer duration of force (throughout the entire duration of any lateral-g).

With that said, my steering wheel is definitely staying on. The entire gaming experience is definitely worth the sacrifice in slightly weaker rumble.

It's a bit hard to explain, here's the installation video I mentioned earlier which shows the simplicity of replacing the steering wheel and that it does not interfere with the function of the steering wheel.

Please let me know if this video is inappropriate for this thread or violate the forum rules for I can have it removed.

Last edited:
Wow - proper amazing cockpit... I guess the main downside with replacing the wheel is the loss of the two buttons on the wheel?

Any plans to implement buttons on your new wheel? (Is there any need - I've just bought a G25 - but haven't used it yet (need to get a wheelstand first) so don't know how much those buttons are used!)

C.

PS - If I had a cockpit like this - I don't think I'd have a wife!!

@ chilli coke, Would you mind posting instructions on how to mod the resistance on the gear shifter plz..........

+1 I'd also love to see a similar video like the "how to install momo wheel on logitech g25" but for the shifter mod. I feel like I'm gona snap it or something, feels very weak.

Wow - proper amazing cockpit... I guess the main downside with replacing the wheel is the loss of the two buttons on the wheel?

Any plans to implement buttons on your new wheel? (Is there any need - I've just bought a G25 - but haven't used it yet (need to get a wheelstand first) so don't know how much those buttons are used!)

C.

PS - If I had a cockpit like this - I don't think I'd have a wife!!

Edit: Cancel. Answered already.

Last edited:
I don't believe GT5 registers handbrake as analogue (variable) input even with PS3 controller's pressure sensitive buttons. Thus it is activated by a simple on/off switch. Not all handbrakes have the same switches, but in the most general terms, you'll want the switch to be activated (make contact) when the leaver is pulled, thus completing the circuit for the circle button.

Cool, I just wanted confirmation as to how you did it on yours because I had come across a thread on the Official PS Forums where the person did theirs analogue. Now all I have to do is figure out how I want to do mine...using an actual E-brake, Make one out of CF or do one like this (but hard mounted on my chassis etc.) ~

g25ebrake4.jpg

Chillicoke

Thanks for answering the questions.
I loved the video as well, congrats as guys like yourself that go to the bother to help others are what forums need.

Few more quick questions.....

Regards the standard G25 using 2.5 wheel rotations (i think its 2.5) how many now do you get with the bigger wheel.
Can you then use that as a way to put into a percentage the difference in how the bigger wheel effects the steering? Do you have any issues with centering or do you feel the additional wheel size/weight has any drawbacks or concerns on say the strain on the internal motors when the wheel is centering or during FFB?
Finally have you any user experience with Fanatec GT3RS and Clubsports or indeed are you interested in one day upgrading if not the wheel the pedals?

Id look forward to you in the future perhaps commenting on my own upcoming d.i.y here

We seem to share similar interests and both take presentation highly with a general interest in helping the community as well.
Once again many thanks...

Last edited:
I just found this on Race Sim Central.....Its a detailed list of all G25 gear shift mods with pics and videos.

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=299371

Thanks for that but the information and videos provided don't tell you exactly how to do it step by step. Would love to see someone make a video similar to chilicoke's "how to put a momo wheel" which tells you step by step how to do it and very easy to follow.

Chilicoke would that be a possibility??

Regards the standard G25 using 2.5 wheel rotations (i think its 2.5) how many now do you get with the bigger wheel.

a bigger wheel doesn't change the degrees of rotation. It's still 900 degrees.

Yeah i wasnt thinking straight as really the motor internal fittings of the wheel are designed to rotate to the 900.

As everyone has mentioned, simply amazing. The more I read on this forum, the more I want to try and do my own rig as well. I think I read all the replies, but I had a few questions of my own:

1. Can you post a tutorial/information for making homemade carbon fiber?
2. We can we acquire a lot of the materials your used? I don't think I've seen many of those at my local hardware store. Is it regular metal bars painted black? What about finding the car parts, the shifter, seat, those such materials as well.
3. Can you provide any additional information of strengthening and improving the H-gate?

I think that's all I have for now, haha.

thanks again for the amazing project and I look forward to your answers. 👍

Back