chilicoke's cockpit *03/15 UPDATE: Carbon fiber shifter paddles (pg8)

• Thread starter chilicoke
  • 245 comments
Just noticed your using the G25 now. Did you do the handbrake mod on the g27 shifter too? I'm kinda worried about doing that seeing I loose the warranty?
If you did the mod on the g27, post some pics! :)

Hello

chilicoke,I am going to make a 3D animation for you shown my project as his kept silent says to me that you think of it is if ya which that modification has to make.

I shall post 3D tomorrow or later. :)

chilicoke, are you going to have adapters modified for use with horn buttons available for purchase?
Possibly in the future after I come up with a simpler design. The way I have it fitted right now was to further modify the adapter, but it was somewhat complicated and hard to install.

Just noticed your using the G25 now. Did you do the handbrake mod on the g27 shifter too? I'm kinda worried about doing that seeing I loose the warranty?
If you did the mod on the g27, post some pics! :)

Yes I am back using the G25. G27 shifter was only temporary (very loosely) wired unlike the G25 which I wired to a connector on the cashing for quick disconnect.

I didn't take pictures because I wanted it get it done ASAP in by study breaks. After I'm done with my tests I'll post up a step-by-step.

Hello

chilicoke,I am going to make a 3D animation for you shown my project as his kept silent says to me that you think of it is if ya which that modification has to make.

I shall post 3D tomorrow or later. :)
Cool! Looking forward to it. 👍

Hello

chilicoke, Here is my project.

Point of departure
P29-11-09_22-14.jpg

And that I want to make
Sanstitre4.jpg

Sanstitre2.jpg

Sanstitre8.jpg

Sanstitre6.jpg

Please say that think you of it :)

Last edited:
Your design looks great djtatou! Very well done.

Just some small suggestions. I would recommend tilting (if possible) the wheel mount surface towards you by 10 degrees. The G25/27 steering wheels faces a lot more upwards when compared to actual steering wheels because they were designed to be used sitting at a very upright position at dinner tables/desks. Small change in the mounting angle make them feel a whole lot better.

Your pedal mounting method is a great idea, though I am a little bit concerned about the length of pedals when they are mounted below the floor board. Have you considered taking apart the plastic casing and mount each pedals individually on the floor board?

chilicoke, you don't like the G27? D:

I went back to the G25 not because I don't like the G27, but mostly because I slightly prefer the G25 at the moment considering G27 is still not yet fully-supported.

Below is my impression of G27 I posted in the G27 Vs. G25 thread:
Few differences I've noticed between G25 and G27 after a few weeks of ownership.

1. Although G25 is already pretty quiet, G27 is almost dead silent when turning the wheel. But because of how quiet it is, there is a very unusual "clunk" sound when force feedback motors change direction. On the contrary, G25 does not have such sound when force feedback motors are fighting the wheel, but has very consistent gear whine.

Force feedback on both wheels feel identical.

2. G27's steering wheel is slightly thicker, there is almost no difference in (gameplay) feel unless directly compared side by side.

3. G25's and G27's leather are different, G25's is kind of glossy while G27's is matte. Not sure if it's just my wheel, but G27's leather doesn't wrap around the wheel as well the G25's. G25's leather wraps almost perfectly without winkles around tight corners, same can't be said for my G27.

4. G27's shifter not only has more positive "click" feel but is also much quieter. Though G25's shifter can be easily modded for same amount or heavier resistance.

5. Besides the added plastic spacer on G27's pedals, they appear to be exactly identical. At the same time, G25's stock pedal arrange was never an issue for me.

6. Shifter paddles and shift lights do not work in GT5P as of now, so no sequential mode.

In my opinion,
- If you already own a G25 there is no reason to "upgrade" to a G27.
- If price difference was taken out of the equation, I'd probably get a G27 (assuming sequential support gets added by GT5 later). Even with some shortcomings, it just feels slightly nicer right out of the box. (only very slightly)

Other interesting bits:

- G25/G27 pedals are interchangeable and functional 100%

- G25/G27 shifters are NOT interchangeable, the connector plugs are the same, but they don't work.

Hope this helps.

As mentioned above, although there is no difference in force feedback feel. I actually prefer the gear wine of the G25 vs the dead silent but occasionally clunking G27. It give me the feeling of turning a wheel that is physically connected. Furthermore, I prefer sequential shifter via the shifter instead of shifter paddles (which are non functional on the G27 ATM).

chilicoke, For the slope of the steering wheel been born no concern for my project because I am going to see to it of heightened my bucket seat so that not one no concern.

Everything is I made go defused the plastic envelope of pedals for fixed pedal to the worked because I think that it will be better and more beautiful.

I wanted to know is what is the degree angle to the pedal if you know thank you.

Thank you for suggestion . :)

Last edited:
chilicoke, For the slope of the steering wheel been born no concern for my project because I am going to see to it of heightened my bucket seat so that not one no concern.

Everything is I made go defused the plastic envelope of pedals for fixed pedal to the worked because I think that it will be better and more beautiful.

I wanted to know is what is the degree angle to the pedal if you know thank you.

Thank you for suggestion . :)
djtatou,
When mounted upside down, 45 degree mounting gave me a very nice slightly-upward tilt that is almost identical to my car's (S2000) pedals. For floor-mounting maybe around 15-25 degree tilt, though I would recommend test fitting it in your cockpit first and find the most suitable angle for your set-up.👍

Brandon.

Mr. Apex,
Thanks for the kind words. Flush mounted Momo horn buttons are without a doubt my favorite just because how clean it looks. :)

I just got in on a cheap ebay steering wheel for my G27. Would this work with your adapter, Chilicoke? I figured the 2 buttons can be used to shift for people who drive fake (semi) autos...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACURA-6-HOLE-BLK-CARBON-RED-STITCH-STEERING-WHEEL_W0QQitemZ150390295261QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33704QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63

Sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier. It has been one frantic week of finals. :yuck:

The wheel looks like it's made to fit the most popular Momo hub-pattern, so it should be a direct fit. If you want to be 100% sure, measure the PCD (distance between the two opposite bolt holes) and it should be 70mm from center to center.
If it's not, I can custom make one for you.

One more new mod for my cockpit is on its way, can't wait to put it on. :D

Yea, the PCD measures 70mm exact. What's the new mod?

You should definitely look into adding linear actuators to your rig... This way, you can tell your parents that it's furniture that keeps you awake for finals!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cWIpUmeTo

The actuators are very cool, but also violent. Then again, if I had that setup I would probably charge kids to use it so I could pay the power bill lol.

Chilicoke, your rig looks like something that would be allowed to stay in the house just for the artistic appeal. I can't get over how professional it all is togeather. Thankyou for going with a grown up look, and not the flashy arcade nonsense. Keep up the very nice work and attention to detail.

Thanks! If GT5 outputs motion data I would love to try to DIY it. :) (if I don't kill myself figuring out how everything works)

I have a hydraulic brake pedal conversion coming next week, will update with pictures/videos. 👍

It uses a sensor to measure piston pressure when you step on it instead of a pot measuring how far you push the pedal against a coil spring to replicate brake pedal feel on a real car. :)

may i ask why everyone seem to use metal instead of wood? wouldn't screwing be much simpler than weilding?? i'm planning on building one when real gt5 comes out.

may i ask why everyone seem to use metal instead of wood? wouldn't screwing be much simpler than weilding?? i'm planning on building one when real gt5 comes out.
Metal's strength allows us to design/build chassis-like open cockpits without having to worry about wobble or flex under heavy gaming. The trade off is of course more difficult to build. 👍

damn thts a wonderful set up man it looks fantastic and it's exactly like a car
Thanks! I've tried my best to replicate the feel of my car's driving position and am very happy with the result.

Metal's strength allows us to design/build chassis-like open cockpits without having to worry about wobble or flex under heavy gaming. The trade off is of course more difficult to build. 👍

Also, metal has greater tensile strength so smaller amounts of it can be used to achieve the same effect ie standing on a 1/4" plate of steel as opposed to standing on a 2"x4", the strength difference is obvious and less space consuming. As far as using screws, one could use aluminum extrusion squarestock and some plate with various pieces of hardware such as nuts and bolts to avoid welding. I really wish I had an aluminum welding setup because this setup is quite heavy.

FourusTwentius is exactly right. My original plan for my very first cockpit was to use aluminum extrusion as I had access to tig welder back in highschool. That WAS the plan until I found out the prices of aluminum.:crazy:

Guess what came in early. :lol:
IMG_7631.jpg

Just got AP Electrix load cell mod for my G25. It works perfectly but I need more time to get used to the short travel distance on the load cell brake. Also got Heusinkveld Engineering G25 Pad too. Working beautifully.

Chilicoke, where did you get yours load cell brake mod?

Merry Christmas to all of you!

^ It's the Perfect Pedal hydraulic module. I too had to get used to the short travel rather quickly. Thread hold braking without ABS is now MUCH more controllable, no more randomly locking up and can be corrected almost instantly when it does simply because it reacts much more realistically to my natural reaction.

Marry Christmas to you too!:dopey:

[edit]
dumchidumchi, forgot to mention, now that my brake pedal is much heavier (I'm sure yours as well), I took out the heavier spring from brake pedal and swapped it into clutch pedal, and swapped clutch spring into gas pedal. LOVE the overall heavier feel of all pedals. 👍

Last edited:
Chilicoke, it's funny...I did the same...sort of.

I used the original G25 brake as clutch and installed the load cell brake mod on the original clutch. Thought about putting the original brake spring into the gas pedal but I think it's a bit too heavy for my right foot. Tired after long period maybe? Anyway, now the setup is very nice. I don't use clutch at all, I like to paddle shift...it's faster or maybe I'm just lazy.

Last edited:
Back