chilicoke's cockpit *03/15 UPDATE: Carbon fiber shifter paddles (pg8)

• Thread starter chilicoke
  • 245 comments
@ chilli coke, Would you mind posting instructions on how to mod the resistance on the gear shifter plz..........
I would love to. However I'm not sure when I'll be able to due to the way my shifter is integrated into my cockpit, though I might just do it on my friend's G25.
Wow - proper amazing cockpit... I guess the main downside with replacing the wheel is the loss of the two buttons on the wheel?

Any plans to implement buttons on your new wheel? (Is there any need - I've just bought a G25 - but haven't used it yet (need to get a wheelstand first) so don't know how much those buttons are used!)

C.

PS - If I had a cockpit like this - I don't think I'd have a wife!!
Thank you. As for the buttons, unless there are actual useful features in GT5 that requires those buttons, probably not.
I just found this on Race Sim Central.....Its a detailed list of all G25 gear shift mods with pics and videos.

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=299371

Thanks for the link, some of those are very cool! 👍
Cool, I just wanted confirmation as to how you did it on yours because I had come across a thread on the Official PS Forums where the person did theirs analogue. Now all I have to do is figure out how I want to do mine...using an actual E-brake, Make one out of CF or do one like this (but hard mounted on my chassis etc.) ~

g25ebrake4.jpg

Interesting. Do you have a link to the original post? I wasn't aware GT5P registers e-brake as analogue.
Chillicoke

Thanks for answering the questions.
I loved the video as well, congrats as guys like yourself that go to the bother to help others are what forums need.

Few more quick questions.....

Regards the standard G25 using 2.5 wheel rotations (i think its 2.5) how many now do you get with the bigger wheel.
Can you then use that as a way to put into a percentage the difference in how the bigger wheel effects the steering? Do you have any issues with centering or do you feel the additional wheel size/weight has any drawbacks or concerns on say the strain on the internal motors when the wheel is centering or during FFB?
Finally have you any user experience with Fanatec GT3RS and Clubsports or indeed are you interested in one day upgrading if not the wheel the pedals?

Id look forward to you in the future perhaps commenting on my own upcoming d.i.y here

We seem to share similar interests and both take presentation highly with a general interest in helping the community as well.
Once again many thanks...
Yeah i wasnt thinking straight as really the motor internal fittings of the wheel are designed to rotate to the 900.

👍 Degree of rotation stays the same, no problem centering the wheel and feel great with force feedback bumped up.

I'm sure there are additional strains in the long term, but the issue is how much additional. Force feedback motors constantly change their feedback strength and direction of rotation as we race, the motors never apply full force for extended duration. In theory, because they apply force from rotational torque and were designed to "give" when we counter steer, the additional strain on the motors from fitting a bigger diameter wheel shouldn't be any more than a hard jerk with the smaller, original wheel. Maybe someone with mechanical engineering background could shed some light on this matter?.

I have no personal experience with the Fanatec wheels. But after taking apart my G25 to study its interior construction, I would be very surprised if other more expansive wheels offer any substantial "improvements" over the G25 without without any dramatic hardware advantage. Of course the G25 isn't perfect, but that's exactly the reason why some of us chose to modify G25s to replicate our real-life cars instead of a slightly-better, one-size-fits-all wheels. 👍

Thanks for that but the information and videos provided don't tell you exactly how to do it step by step. Would love to see someone make a video similar to chilicoke's "how to put a momo wheel" which tells you step by step how to do it and very easy to follow.

Chilicoke would that be a possibility??

If I decide to perform any of those mods (I haven't had time to look through them in detail) I'll make sure to record a similar step-by-step video. 👍

As everyone has mentioned, simply amazing. The more I read on this forum, the more I want to try and do my own rig as well. I think I read all the replies, but I had a few questions of my own:

1. Can you post a tutorial/information for making homemade carbon fiber?
2. We can we acquire a lot of the materials your used? I don't think I've seen many of those at my local hardware store. Is it regular metal bars painted black? What about finding the car parts, the shifter, seat, those such materials as well.
3. Can you provide any additional information of strengthening and improving the H-gate?

I think that's all I have for now, haha.

thanks again for the amazing project and I look forward to your answers. 👍
A tutorial on making composites would be a VERY long one as there are tons of variations in both methods and material. Making those parts was sort of a by-product for me as I was experimenting on fabricating my own car parts. For smaller and simpler parts (such as the dead pedal) you would save yourself A LOT of trouble and cost to simply find an alternative or pre-made materials.

Most hardware store do sell similar steel square tubing I've used, but only in very limited length and are a bit more expansive. I happen to live within driving distance to a very largest industrial metal supplier and that's where I got mine. They were purchased in unfinished raw metal and were painted with automotive paint.

As for car parts, you're best bet will probably be local junk yards. My close friend's dad works at Mazda and he provided me with the seat. I wanted the handbrake to feel as close to my car as possible, and there are very few cars that use levers that short, so I just kept an eye out for actual S2000 handbrakes on forums. It took some time but was well worth the wait. :)👍

It's a little hard to describe the process in words. As metioned above, If i get a chance to do my friend's G25 shifter I'll be sure to record the process and put up a video.

Phew! hope I answered everything, sorry if I missed any.
Brandon.

Last edited:
DEFINITELY looking forward to a shifter mod video! Love to see how you have done it...waiting patiently ;)

Interesting. Do you have a link to the original post? I wasn't aware GT5P registers e-brake as analogue.

Just found it ~ link here. It looks like he's using/modifying one of the analogue sticks to get it to work...though I don't know how much more effective it really would be (if at all). Funny thing is I also reference you in that thread!

^ Interesting and thank you very much for the link.

That is very cool and I had no idea you could remap handbrake to the analogue sticks on the controller. However setting up both controller and wheel for GT5 is a bit much (I really enjoy simply plugging in the USB cable to race). I don't use the handbrake much and when I do is simply to initiates over steer on tight corners (full on or full off), but analogue handbrake is definitely something I would like to integrate in the future, though hopefully in a more streamlined and integrated way.

Thanks 👍

^ Interesting and thank you very much for the link.

That is very cool and I had no idea you could remap handbrake to the analogue sticks on the controller. However setting up both controller and wheel for GT5 is a bit much (I really enjoy simply plugging in the USB cable to race). I don't use the handbrake much and when I do is simply to initiates over steer on tight corners (full on or full off), but analogue handbrake is definitely something I would like to integrate in the future, though hopefully in a more streamlined and integrated way.

Thanks 👍

I agree. I think I am just going to do something like the one I posted above

g25ebrake4.jpg

Now I just have to remember where I found that, then try and contact that person, to then start getting the parts etc...

That is without a doubt 'The ULTIMATE cockpit'.:D:tup:
After all the time you would have spent in getting it just right, you deserve to have a laugh to yourself when you realize that youv'e been racing for hours and are still that comfortable that you could fall to sleep at the wheel.:lol:
...Oneday...oneday I will make up something like this, maybe in time GT20.:lol: Actually if I was to take there current rate of release...I don't even think I'll see GT20 if they were to make it.:lol: Nah maybe in a few year's, I'm sure that the pics and info that you have provided for guidance will be appreciated by many Sim racer's into the future.
Have fun with your 'ULTIMATE cockpit' mate!;)👍
R*

Last edited:
is chillicoke still around? I'm wondering if there's an update on any other tutorials? Specifically the shifter mod?

Well anyways, here are some pics of my Momo Race Wheel on my G25. Thanks to chillicoke for the adapter!

PB020089.jpg

PB020084.jpg

PB020080.jpg

P.S You might be wondering why my playseat is next to a wardrobe with a wall right in front of it instead of a tv/monitor lol. I have limited space in my room and that's just where I leave it, corner of my room, when I need to use it I have to move it to the center of the room, which only takes 30 seconds but can be a pain sometimes. I need to stop being so lazy.

Wowie. 👍 I like your wheel modification. Do you have any details about the adapter for me?

Nice rig, chilicoke. 👍 I have done some fairly extensive modification of my G25 but, so far, have focused on the pedals and shifter. This is because I haven't had much (any) luck finding info on the inner workings of the wheel. From your video, it appears that wheel disassemly is quite easy. :) Thanks for posting the video. I would like to modify the paddle shifters so that it takes more force to shift gears. Once in a while, I bump the paddles during aggressive steering maneuvers causing unwanted shifts even if I barely bump them. Also, it just doesn't feel "right" to be able to push the paddles so easily. I'm thinking that the springs could most likely be swapped for stronger springs. Would you agree? Saw that you don't use the paddles but, I would like to know if accessing the springs is as easy as I'm thinking and if there are any tips you could offer or if there is anything I should look out for while I'm doing the mod. Any advice would be most appreciated. :)

Bekimche, glade you're happy with the adapter and your cockpit looks great! I still browse once in a while but had been pretty busy with school lately. Finally got the extra school work over with (for now), I will try my best to get my friend's G25 shifter as soon as possible to make that video.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention this on the forum (if not mods please remove). You can purchase an adapter directly from chilicoke.com for a small discount vs. eBay.

Nice rig, chilicoke. 👍 I have done some fairly extensive modification of my G25 but, so far, have focused on the pedals and shifter. This is because I haven't had much (any) luck finding info on the inner workings of the wheel. From your video, it appears that wheel disassemly is quite easy. :) Thanks for posting the video. I would like to modify the paddle shifters so that it takes more force to shift gears. Once in a while, I bump the paddles during aggressive steering maneuvers causing unwanted shifts even if I barely bump them. Also, it just doesn't feel "right" to be able to push the paddles so easily. I'm thinking that the springs could most likely be swapped for stronger springs. Would you agree? Saw that you don't use the paddles but, I would like to know if accessing the springs is as easy as I'm thinking and if there are any tips you could offer or if there is anything I should look out for while I'm doing the mod. Any advice would be most appreciated. :)
Thank you. I myself had also shifted by accident a few times from the peddles. The shifter peddles' elasticity actually comes from the flexing of plastic they mount to (inside the hub) not actual springs. It might be possible to add strengthening strips (fiberglass, carbon fiber, or any material that is relatively stiff) to make them harder to pull by accident. I'll have to take a closer look.

Brandon

Oh the side note, I just picked up a G27 yesterday for comparison.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, chilicoke. Bummer. :( One step forward, two steps back. Very suprised to hear that Logitech depends on plastic flexing for that. 👎 If you get any ideas, I would love to hear them. If not, I think I will tear into it in the next few days. If anyone has heard of a mod to increase the resistance of the paddle shifters, I'm very interested. :)

Bekimche, glade you're happy with the adapter and your cockpit looks great! I still browse once in a while but had been pretty busy with school lately. Finally got the extra school work over with (for now), I will try my best to get my friend's G25 shifter as soon as possible to make that video.

Thanks mate. If you can get that shifter, that would be aces! looking forward to it.

Cheers

chilicoke- how does that G27 h-pattern shifter feel compared to an unmodded G25? How does it compare to a modded G25 shifter?

The shift feel on the G27 is MUCH improved compared to G25. It has very noticeable "engaged click" feel when you push into/pull out of gear. It almost feel exactly identical to my modded G25 shifter, but the difference is that G27 shifter is almost silent compare to loud "clicks" on modded G25.

Didn't get a chance to play with it much, though force feedback (maybe it's the gear wind) is very quiet on the G27. Will report back after more findings.

Meanwhile, here are 2 quick pictures of the G27 on my cockpit.

g27-02.jpg

g27-01.jpg

Sorry about the dark pictures. My SLR ran out of battery and had to use the point n shoot. :grumpy:

Awesome mod!!!

One question...with the bigger wheel, do you think the paddle shifters are a bit too small and harder to reach? I'm in the minority group that use paddle shifter all the time...

Any plan to make a bigger paddle shifter mod?

Yes with a bigger wheel the paddles are a bit further to the reach. I wouldn't say hard but you do have to move your hand forward. Bigger paddles are in the plans, but actually making them might be a bit more challenging.

Update:

Last edited:
This is a wonderfully crafted rig. Would there be room for a horn knob on top of that adapter? Say, with a white and blue logo on it or something … :sly:

Last edited:
That would be not too bad …

but looking at the level of perfection and the attention to detail you've invested so far I suppose it could be an option to add a 2cm spacer and longer screws to be able to install the horn knob …

IMO it would look more balanced with the rest of the rig. Imagine:

default-OMP_Corsica_Steering_Wheel.jpg

Very awesome cockpit tyvm! But i'd like to know how you did the E-brake. I'm thinking about building pretty much the same cockpit but just in BMW E36 style. E36 seat, handbrake, e-brake etc.
But my biggest concern is to make the e-brake work together with G27, is it USB wired? Is it the e-brake just on- and off? Did you use a joystick to make the E-brake?

Many questions at the same time, sowwi! But i'll hope you answer em all

chilicoke, great work. I've been showing your videos to friends/coworkers.
Thanks!

Very awesome cockpit tyvm! But i'd like to know how you did the E-brake. I'm thinking about building pretty much the same cockpit but just in BMW E36 style. E36 seat, handbrake, e-brake etc.
But my biggest concern is to make the e-brake work together with G27, is it USB wired? Is it the e-brake just on- and off? Did you use a joystick to make the E-brake?

Many questions at the same time, sowwi! But i'll hope you answer em all

The E-brake is triggered by a on-when-released on/off switch that is wired directly into the shifters circuit board and operates the circle button in parallel with the existing button (so it remains functional).
I would love to show you where to solder but my shifter is pretty difficult to remove from the cockpit. Whenever I get my friend's shifter I'll remember to snap a few pictures.

Small update:

Bought a new Momo Monte Carlo and once again modified the adapter to fit the horn button.

GTIMG_7438.JPG

GTIMG_7437.JPG

It's indeed the coolest DIY cockpit out there! Isn't those momo wheels you bought, expensive? I'm thinking about ordering a adapter from you and a momo wheel, you ship outside US right?
Could you find a link where they sell those momo wheels you have?

Hello
I am French sorry for my ****** English lol

I shall have wanted to have dimension of your project to make him not has the identical but has little meadow the same project

Thank you

Thanks for the kind word beem3r. Momos are without a doubt quality wheels and their price reflect accordingly. But when compare to other similar steering wheels out there (Personal, Nari, etc) Momos are actually quite affordable.

Shipping internationally won't be an issue. As for shopping for a wheel, eBay is definitely the place to look for good prices.

djtatou, Sorry but I do not have dimensions available, I simply made the changes from my old cockpit design as I was building. Though if you have a general design draw out I'd gladly to provide you with ideas and suggestion.

Brandon.

Back