Cities: Skylines (the Sim City we deserve)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 1,530 comments
I just checked the tooltip in the game and it says that the efficiency bonus increases the production speed. However, there is also an area policy about automation that seems to be increasing the output without requiring more materials.

I just checked the tooltip in the game and it says that the efficiency bonus increases the production speed. However, there is also an area policy about automation that seems to be increasing the output without requiring more materials.

Hmm ok, guess all I can do is run off the base numbers and if I see processors constantly saying they need raw resources rather than just occasionally, add another extractor.

Another day, another bear. This one seemed to be looking for a snack.

Skärmbild (45).png

Must be nice to have the luxury of 25/81 tiles on PC and being able to spread everything out with empty land between, let it all breathe. With only 9 tiles you've got to cram everything in. Well, if you want a decent sized population.

Mostly today I made this...

upload_2020-11-25_22-5-0.png

Then this....

upload_2020-11-25_22-5-5.png

Then one of these...

upload_2020-11-25_22-5-11.png

Then spent a while on this...

upload_2020-11-25_22-5-18.png

... yep.

Still having problems.

This one affects terrain conforming networks. Sometimes the game will load and I'll get about 10 errors, and custom networks don't work, other times, no errors, and the networks are fine. Grrr.....

Anyway, when they work, I've been messing around with the ditch network to help delineate fields

Screenshot 14.png

And looking at this screen shot (taken after a restart) I realise I've lost about an hours work... somehwere...

Screenshot 15.png

... Seriously ... much as it's great being able to max the crap out out CS with thousands of assets and lots of mods, it's just being a continual ball-ache and I'm not sure why.

Must be nice to have the luxury of 25/81 tiles on PC and being able to spread everything out with empty land between, let it all breathe. With only 9 tiles you've got to cram everything in. Well, if you want a decent sized population.

It is, although I’m keeping a fairly low population in order to not push my laptop over the edge. The population is 25000 right now. And around 75-80% of the 81 tiles are covered by ocean :)

@MatskiMonk Yeah I’m being extremely careful with installing new mods and make sure to read a lot of the comments first to see if people are having issues with it. The thing is that a lot of mod creators come from the perspective where they have been playing the game, found some aspect they want to improve and then start learning programming. That means that although they might be able to make something function in the end, it’s more often than not filled with bugs and compatibility issues. I usually install a ton of assets, but just a handful of mods.

@MatskiMonk Yeah I’m being extremely careful with installing new mods and make sure to read a lot of the comments first to see if people are having issues with it. The thing is that a lot of mod creators come from the perspective where they have been playing the game, found some aspect they want to improve and then start learning programming. That means that although they might be able to make something function in the end, it’s more often than not filled with bugs and compatibility issues. I usually install a ton of assets, but just a handful of mods.

Well, not that it gets me anywhere, but it's terrain mesh related again... it's just manifesting itself differently. As with the random spikes and troughs we've seen before, networks can be 'fixed' by doing the smallest bit of terrain modification, then clicking undo terrain modification, and everything then sorts itself out. Interestingly, my load time has jumped by a minute and it appears to be hanging on 'UpdateTerrainPatch' and/or 'Update Render Group'. Older Save files are affected differently so it may be related to something that I've added to the map, but having switched off a number of mods I'm not seeing any improvement. I think yet another city may be borked.

Last edited:
Well, not that it gets me anywhere, but it's terrain mesh related again... it's just manifesting itself differently. As with the random spikes and troughs we've seen before, networks can be 'fixed' by doing the smallest bit of terrain modification, then clicking undo terrain modification, and everything then sorts itself out. Interestingly, my load time has jumped by a minute and it appears to be hanging on 'UpdateTerrainPatch' and/or 'Update Render Group'. Older Save files are affected differently so it may be related to something that I've added to the map, but having switched off a number of mods I'm not seeing any improvement. I think yet another city may be borked.

Can you provide a list of installed mods? Maybe there is an obscure one that is causing it?

Speaking of mods, this one looks just like what I’ve wanted for a long time:

:drool:

Speaking of mods, this one looks just like what I’ve wanted for a long time:

That looks mighty impressive. It's clear with some of the more recent mods, the modders really have stepped up their game and dug into the guts of the game more.

Having said that...

upload_2020-11-27_17-11-37.png

.. this is what's currently running... the two I'm iffy about on that list at the moment, are Cubemap replacer, since I think it has dependencies that aren't enabled, and Sharp Textures - which seems to have been okay, but is one of the newer ones and clearly deals with texture the meshes, which is part of the problem.

The problem being...

... and now I have a new one to add...

upload_2020-11-27_17-17-25.png

... and on reading the mentioned log file (most means nothing to me), there is this...

Code:
DLC status: 69
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Preorder Pack' id: '340160' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Deluxe Edition Upgrade Pack' id: '346791' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Soundtrack' id: '352510' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - The Architecture Artbook' id: '352511' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - The Monuments Booklet' id: '352512' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Post Cards' id: '355600' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Korean language' id: '365040' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - After Dark' id: '369150' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Snowfall' id: '420610' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Match Day' id: '456200' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Content Creator Pack: Art Deco' id: '515190' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters' id: '515191' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Juventus F.C Club Pack' id: '525940' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Chelsea F.C Club Pack' id: '526610' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - FC Barcelona Club Pack' id: '526611' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Paris Saint-Germain F.C.' id: '526612' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Stadiums: European Club Pack' id: '536610' available: 'false'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Content Creator Pack: High-Tech Buildings' id: '547500' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Relaxation Station' id: '547501' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit' id: '547502' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Pearls From the East' id: '563850' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Green Cities' id: '614580' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Industries' id: '715194' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Parklife' id: '715191' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Country Road Radio' id: '815380' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Campus' id: '944071' available: 'true'
dlc 'Cities: Skylines - Sunset Harbor' id: '1146930' available: 'true'
Steam ID: 255710 [Message]
Timed out waiting for game mapping!
API: Steam Type: Steam

Which I find a little odd since, I've not installed stuff like Match Day, or the content creator packs, or radio stations.

The ones that look suspicious to me are:
RM Crossings 3.0 (can't find it on the workshop. Edit: Is it called "Hide Crosswalks V3.0?")
No Pillars (I've seen it mentioned in some threads about terrain glitches)
Sharp Textures (it's pretty old and other users seem to have some problems with it)

If none of those are causing it, try unsubscribing to Extra Landscaping Tools and then resubscribe to it. Perhaps it wasn't installed properly.

Last edited:
So In my current city I'm trying to do a more realistic underground metro system, rather than the usual spaghetti mess I end up with, all randomly joined together. Of course like with most things in the game you can't do it totally realistic in terms of lines cleanly linking together and such but when it comes to spurs on single lines, like for example the green and red line on the Milan metro:

milan-map-metro-1.png

In the real world you'd have two routes scheduled on the same line, one that stopped at the spur and one that doesn't a few minutes apart, but that isn't possible in the game. If you set up two routes on the same line they'll try to run together and get clogged up. So is the only real option, if you want to include spurs, to do it so that the spur can essentially be a normal stop on the line, go in and out?

I'm trying to avoid any need for spurs at all but sometimes it just makes the most sense.

Metro lines come in all shapes and sizes. This Naples metro/transport map has some interesting shapes. ;) :lol: Not the biggest city, and the underlying geology will have had an impact on the routes they could have, but it does not look the most organised. ;) I think the pink line is actually a train line rather than metro, which goes around Vesuvius. Looks more complicated than just a loop though. :lol: The orange lines are Funicular's. So not the biggest metro, but the yellow line is a doozy. ;)

I try to stick to metro loops around different areas, and then link areas, with either the links overlapping via three line stations (sorry PC asset), or a separate line between the loops.

MetroNapoliMetroMap.jpg

Btw, I was there once and asked someone if I were on the right metro route for the Toledo metro station. Me not speaking Italian, and the person I was speaking to not speaking English, Toledo, pronounced as the American's do for the Toledo in America, was heard as me asking for Pompeii! :boggled: :lol: Must be so used to people asking for Pompeii it must be their default reply. :rolleyes: :lol:

I don’t know if it’s a vanilla feature or something that came with a mod, but I can adjust the number of vehicles on a line by adjusting the budget for that line. So if I want spurs on my line I would create two lines along the same track and cut their budget in half, or even more than that. The fewer trains you have, the smaller the risk for clogging.

Just make sure to only use spurs when the number of passengers along these parts is too low to motivate making a separate line to the area, since the trains would be few and far apart. I think cims will happily wait for around five minutes, which in terms of game time is pretty long, so as long as they don’t fill up the train completely it should be fine to have just a few trains on the line.

In my current city/island I think have 4-5 trains on my line and it’s around five grids long (ten if you count both directions). I do have a small population though, but an increase in population could be handled by creating more lines rather than increasing the number of vehicles on the line.

Another option is to create the spur with another mode of transport that connects to the metro, like trams or buses. If you’re using buses then you probably need multiple lines branching out to different neighbourhoods in the area, since the buses are so much smaller than the metro trains.

Last edited:
RM Crossings 3.0 (can't find it on the workshop. Edit: Is it called "Hide Crosswalks V3.0?")

I have it in mind this was required for Lane Marking/Node Controller. I'm un-subbing everything and starting again.

edit: going to keep a note of everything this time, including dependencies, but man - no mods and it nails 60FPS to begin with!

edit 2: G'ah! When Assets require mods... guess I'm going to be unsubbing a bunch of assets too.

edit 3: Yes, @eran0004 RM Crossings is required for Node Controller.

edit 4:

So.. took about 2 hours checking for errors in the loading logs each time...

Clean (60fps!). No mods, some asset errors (ingame notifications once loaded).
Assets located in workshop using id number from report log, unsubbed.

Clean start (60fps). No errors.

MoveIt! 2.9.0 (Stable)
  • Prop Precision
  • Prop Snapping
    • Prop & Tree Anarchy
Intersection Marking Tool 1.5 (Stable)
  • Harmony 2.0.1 (Mod dependency) * enabling not required
Node Controller 2.1 (Beta)
  • TM:PE V11 (Stable)
  • Hide TMPE Crosswalks v3.0 (Stable)
    • TM:PE V11 (Stable)
Traffic Manager: President Edition V11 (Stable)
No dependencies

Loading Screen Mod (Oct 31st)
No dependencies

Loading Screen Mod reports asset problems.
  • Any affected assets unsubscribed (mostly Rail assets by Ronyx69)
  • PIG asset error (used by Beardmonkey’s Barn) will be hidden by LSM
Ultimate Level of Detail (ULOD)
No dependencies

FindIt! 2
Decal Prop Fix

Surface Painter
  • Extra Landscaping Tools * Known conflict with FindIt!
Extra Landscaping Tools
No dependencies

Network Extensions 2
No dependencies

Quay Anarchy
No dependencies

Big City (25 Tiles Mod)
No dependencies

Plop the Growables
No dependencies but only works with FindIt!

Procedural Objects
No dependencies

No Pillars
No dependencies

Clouds and Fog Toggler
No dependencies

No Radioactive desert ...
No dependencies

I've lost some functionality I'm sure, and I'm still bothered the 'realistic' of the visual, but it's only when I dug into those that problems really started.

Save file seems to be okay for now, so I don't have to start from Scratch.

It's interesting how quickly the FPS rate drops! It doesn't stay at 60 for long, and in ULOD mode can drop below 20FPS!

I know all this isn't that interesting, but for any players that look over from the console version, or PC users that wish they just spend a couple of G's on a new PC... it's not all plain sailing, that is for sure!

Last edited:
I built a vineyard on a hillside near the town of Deep Forest. I turned it into a farm and added some sheep and an orchard plus a riding stable to generate a bit of traffic and tourism to the area.

Skärmbild (46).png
Skärmbild (47).png
Skärmbild (48).png
Skärmbild (49).png

Then in the town I built a new light residential area and went overboard with the details and the trees.
Skärmbild (52).png
Skärmbild (53).png
Skärmbild (54).png
Skärmbild (55).png

I noticed that the game now requires 18 GB of memory to load. My computer has 8 GB of RAM, so I wonder how far I can push it :scared:

I don’t know if it’s a vanilla feature or something that came with a mod, but I can adjust the number of vehicles on a line by adjusting the budget for that line. So if I want spurs on my line I would create two lines along the same track and cut their budget in half, or even more than that. The fewer trains you have, the smaller the risk for clogging.

Ah that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Yes you can do that in vanilla, so if for example the mainline has 3 trains reduce it to 2 and add 1 for the spur? I guess it just depends how they position themselves on the line, evenly spread out. I hate when you add a new bus line and 17 buses all spawn in the same place, takes an age for them to spread out and stop clogging up the roads.

This is what my plan currently looks like, so only one spur planned.

new-tube.jpg

The place they're all converging is the multiplatform train hub thing from one of the DLCs, but there is a second platform outside it so they're not all terminating at one. Cims have to cross the road to switch lines but they seem happy enough doing that. Works well at the moment, without the blue spur in use yet.

Last edited:
Thanks to the Steam sale I now have this for PC and I subscribed to a load of UK assets sorted into a collection by the same user.

I then found a map of my hometown, Plymouth. I wanted to make a South West of England town anyway so it's very handy. I will recreate the street I grew up in and then build a fictional map around it. I would like lots of country lanes and fields, a few quintessential English villages and towns dotted around and then an out of town retail park with a McDonald's/KFC and big retail stores etc.

Just hope 8GB will hold up long enough before I upgrade to 16 in the new year.

Last edited:
VXR
Thanks to the Steam sale I now have this for PC and I subscribed to a load of UK assets sorted into a collection by the same user.

I then found a map of my hometown, Plymouth. I wanted to make a South West of England town anyway so it's very handy. I will recreate the street I grew up in and then build a fictional map around it. I would like lots of country lanes and fields, a few quintessential English villages and towns dotted around and then an out of town retail park with a McDonald's/KFC and big retail stores etc.

Prepare to lose several hundred hours of your free time! I never thought I'd really get into it that much, I've never played one of these kinda games before, but it's the perfect casual laid back game for the current times. You can get creative, but don't really have to think too hard about much. Pretty much all I've played since early August.

Prepare to lose several hundred hours of your free time! I never thought I'd really get into it that much, I've never played one of these kinda games before, but it's the perfect casual laid back game for the current times. You can get creative, but don't really have to think too hard about much. Pretty much all I've played since early August.

Yeah, I've put a fair bit of time into the console version, but I just get frustrated that I can't model close to what I want it to be.

VXR

If you're feeling adventurous get procedural objects and download the pack of customisable UK road signs. I can't link it now, but they're a really great little detail for making it feel more UK-ish. Comes with the right font and symbols.

If you're feeling adventurous get procedural objects and download the pack of customisable UK road signs. I can't link it now, but they're a really great little detail for making it feel more UK-ish. Comes with the right font and symbols.

Is that by the Welsh user (MacWelshy?) I downloaded some individual mods including dry stone walls and road signs before I realised he had bundled them up.

VXR
Yeah, I've put a fair bit of time into the console version, but I just get frustrated that I can't model close to what I want it to be.

Ah gotcha. Before I got the game I had big grand plans for what to do with some cities, then once I started playing and realised they were too ambitious I just accepted I'd have to make do and lower my expectations. Honestly though, I've learned a lot of stuff you can do on the console version with some patience and trial and error, make some really interesting areas. Plus the tips people here have given. You just have to wipe the idea of complete realism from your mind, it ain't gonna happen. So you can either go wild fantasy or as realistic as you can cobble together.

I do have the PC version but playing it there just isn't convenient for me right now. Maybe next year.

VXR
Is that by the Welsh user (MacWelshy?) I downloaded some individual mods including dry stone walls and road signs before I realised he had bundled them up.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2118779372

Should be this one. It's a learning curve for sure, but it does allow for authentic bespoke UK signs. Like I say, requires Procedural Objects mod, but you don't have to get that deep into it to make it work, just a bit of perseverence.

I recorded a little Sunday drive along the highway. For the kids in the backseat, stop arguing with each other and see if you can spot the floating lamp post instead.

Looking good @eran0004. Transitions from 2 to 3 lanes and back again are really slick.

I'm not sure the kids would have noticed the floating lamp post after the family was all killed by a wreckless lorry driver at the start of the video though :D

Looking good @eran0004. Transitions from 2 to 3 lanes and back again are really slick.

I'm not sure the kids would have noticed the floating lamp post after the family was all killed by a wreckless lorry driver at the start of the video though :D

Yeah, thanks to the node controller mod you can do good transitions between the 2-lane and 3-lane highways. One problem I’ve had lately though is that some nodes seem to “forget” that they are supposed to be smooth. You can see it in a section between the city and the airport, the road surface is kind of bumpy there. It is fixed automatically when I select these nodes with the node controller, but the next time I load the game they forgot it again.

About the lorry, my hypothesis is that the brakes were overheated, there is a pretty long downhill run from where he came :D

In amongst all the messing around getting things to work, I've done a bit to Cooper County.

This is how the farm area next to the first main junction looks at the moment... this immediate area (mostly the bit off screen to the left) will probably end up being called 'Martinston', owing to the narrow oval shape of the junction.

Screenshot 17.png

... this, on the other hand, is the outskirts of 'Stanley'. A residential area with a park in the middle.
Screenshot 18.png

Stanley High School.
Screenshot 20.png

Stanley industrial area, including the water treatment plant
Screenshot 21.png

This will be the start of Stanley High Street, flanked by some residential. I'm trying to lay out the roads as though the town is older, but recent development shifted the main road network to the edge of town. The problem is, I'm still servicing demand one building at a time... so each time I place commercial, or industrial or office, I have to dump some residential somewhere. It gets ugly quick! But, I'm aiming to avoid 'grid' as much as possible.
Screenshot 19.png

Looking good! It's always hard in the beginning to balance demands.

I'm working on a plan to reroute the highway that runs east of the city. The orange dotted line is the new route. The white circles is the location of junctions and white lines indicate roads connecting to the junctions.
HIGHWAYPLAN.jpg

Well I got my imports/exports under control, was 3,000+ on each at one point. Exports varies between 400 and 600 depending on if the unique factories are in their production cycle. Think that's still good at 32k.

exports.jpg

Really happy with how this city in general is progressing. Nearly abandoned it when the traffic problems hit but there were too many nice ideas and the next city I started felt boring.

Going to spend many more hours on it, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm considering in "lore" to be the original settlement area, which is mostly finished. It's where the ore is, so I'm going with the idea they found that and started a small town around it for the workers, and it progressed from there. Got the highway entrance with factories on the left, residential on the right with the ore mine above, settled in the mountain.

Cities_ Skylines_20201128061043.jpg

Cities_ Skylines_20201128061102.jpg

In an ideal world I'd change the junction to a better one but sadly it's one of those Cities Skylines maps where the grid boundary is annoying right through the middle of it. Traffic isn't too heavy at the moment, hopefully it copes in future.

Cities_ Skylines_20201128061116.jpg

The mine itself. With console/vanilla you've got to improvise the best you can. Looks silly with the grass on the floor but no ability to throw down sand, so it is what it is. Think it looks OK, certainly better than just slapping them down on level ground.

Cities_ Skylines_20201128061200.jpg

You can probably just about see where the railyway goes in the first image, ended up building this nice little 'park' on the shoreline, the kinda thing I enjoy doing. Shame it has to be a defined park with a gate to use those park assets, but it doesn't look too silly.

Cities_ Skylines_20201128061244.jpg

Neat little junction on the way out, although I don't think it'll stand up to too much more traffic. May need replacing in future.

Last edited:
Back