Cities: Skylines (the Sim City we deserve)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 1,530 comments
Antarctica
Antarctica
Cities_Skylines_cover_art.jpg

After the huge mistake that Sim City 5 was (and after the whole studio got ditched by EA), now we have a proper City builder game, which in some ways is a bit uncreative since it covers all the basis that were promised on Sim City 2015 (aka Sim City 5), however it covers all these bases pretty damn well.

Right now is holding a metascore of 89, and reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, if you like city building games, or management games in general you own yourself the right to check it out. I should say that it doesn't have as many in deep systems as Sim City 4, but it has some systems (and the road creator tool) that makes it stand out a bit from other city builders.

Also, here is a rather complete review:

Last edited:
Was gona start a thread on this game myself, it deserves to get the attention the last SimCity did as it looks like the game that was meant to be.

Installing it now :)

I'm a bit late to the party but currently I'm halfway through downloading this game. I've been thrashing SimCity (2013) lately, having a lot of fun, but at the same time it feels very restrictive due to the size of each landscape. By the time I'm ready to really get my cities, or should I say, towns happening I've completely ran out of space, so I think Cities: Skylines will let me finally create my dream cities. I'll certainly be back later tonight to share my thoughts!

I'm a bit late to the party but currently I'm halfway through downloading this game. I've been thrashing SimCity (2013) lately, having a lot of fun, but at the same time it feels very restrictive due to the size of each landscape. By the time I'm ready to really get my cities, or should I say, towns happening I've completely ran out of space, so I think Cities: Skylines will let me finally create my dream cities. I'll certainly be back later tonight to share my thoughts!

Remember to get the best mods from the Workshop if you got it on Steam! :D

Remember to get the best mods from the Workshop if you got it on Steam! :D
Yeah, had a good look through there yesterday. I only grabbed the pedestrian crossings so far but there's some other things I really like the look of. Had great fun playing last night, even if it was only for a short time. I'm looking forward to really expanding my city and seeing just what I can turn it in to.

Yeah, had a good look through there yesterday. I only grabbed the pedestrian crossings so far but there's some other things I really like the look of. Had great fun playing last night, even if it was only for a short time. I'm looking forward to really expanding my city and seeing just what I can turn it in to.

You can expand your city up to 9 squares (1 square is 2kmx2km I think) which should be plenty for your city building requirements, but there are mods to unlock all 25 if you feel the need.

Happy building! :)

I wish my computer could handle all 25 tiles. But I think 9 will be enough for me. Maybe.

Was not expecting that, but it might come with weather and fog systems (check video description), so I'm cautiously looking forward to it.

I'm pretty sure rain and fog will follow. The paid DLC will contain the snow, the free update will have rain fog.

I spent a few months saving up for a computer just so I could do some serious work in Cities: Skylines. I like to think that, after my latest creation, all that time saving up payed off:

12698664_10207278441553335_483513935899220054_o.jpg

12671948_10207278442033347_5042798508186767774_o.jpg

Why the hell after this new updates, my citizens ask for water and sewage when I've hadn't any problem with it. I rebuilt the entire pipege in my City but still the same thing! Enlight me please!

Is there a mod where you can drive in your city? I know there's a mod that allows you to fly a plane.

Is it wrong to say Cities skyline is a bit disappointing similar to Gran turismo 5 & 6? More spcifically, the developer CO where they release a very good game with a lot of potential and promises but they are not delivering it with their DLC. This reminds me of PD when it comes to GT 5&6.

Grabbed this today at 60% off, first time I've played a city builder since I was a kid. Very addictive game, played for a few hours until the traffic got out of control and I had no idea how to fix it. Amazing detail in these games now, little people walking around and realistic traffic movement makes it quite immersive.

Is it wrong to say Cities skyline is a bit disappointing similar to Gran turismo 5 & 6? More spcifically, the developer CO where they release a very good game with a lot of potential and promises but they are not delivering it with their DLC. This reminds me of PD when it comes to GT 5&6.
Colossal Order have pretty much been doing what they initially said pre-release, from what I've gathered. There are a couple of issues they should work on but nothing really game breaking as far as I'm concerned. I've been thoroughly impressed by the DLC content so far, they're a little pricey for what they are but I'm happy to support the small team.

played for a few hours until the traffic got out of control and I had no idea how to fix it.
More connections! This guide is worth reading for anyone new to the game.

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of my new post-Snowfall city of Olivine. In the foreground you see the small commercial district of Oberst, with the growing suburb of New Bark Town in the background.

12671808_10207325352206072_7284662171150091676_o.jpg

10683657_10207325351726060_2677729638511141703_o.jpg

Sorry about the lousy Facebook compression.

Last edited:
I just built the mother of all junctions. It's a crossing between one highway and two six lane roads (one which is converted to a highway overpass in order to make it work with on- and offramps). Originally I had a roundabout, but it couldn't handle the massive traffic flow from these three busiest roads in my city so I had to scrap it and get creative.

The junction has three tunnels, eight ramps, one set of traffic lights and for pedestrians there is one tunnel and one bridge. So far I haven't seen any traffic jams, so although it looks pretty mad it seems to do what it's supposed to.

Skärmbild (373).png
Skärmbild (372).png

I made a racetrack :D Need to get some more props though, because it's a bit empty now. Some gravel traps would be nice as well.

Skärmbild (381).png

Sadly, no cars are going here, since there is nothing useful for them by the track. So instead I made an awesome RingTaxi (RingBus) line go around the circuit! With the speed limit set to unlimited, these drivers really push the buses to the limit!

Skärmbild (379).png

Actually, if I put a commercial building by the pit lane, the cars would have to complete a lap around the circuit in order to get out... 💡

Try Ronyx’s “Ploppable Asphalt” mod, which I believe includes prop versions of all surface textures now. They would be very useful for making gravel traps and run-off.

Created this junction in an attempt to prevent future traffic jam. Looks kind of cool and it works great. Only, I just realised that I've made this much more complicated than it needs to be. Instead of using two sets of one-way highway ramps I could have just used a two-way road and simply banned cars from turning left in the intersections. Oh well, at least this design looks good.

Skärmbild (385).png

And here are some drone-style screenshots of the town I'm working on at the moment:

Skärmbild (388).png

Skärmbild (389).png Skärmbild (390).png Skärmbild (391).png

I love spaghetti. Looks like you used Move It! That mod saves so much time and trouble.

I’ve gotta get back into this game at some point. I love so many ideas but it always turns into a big deal when you just want to make everything look pretty and realistic.

I love spaghetti. Looks like you used Move It! That mod saves so much time and trouble.

I’ve gotta get back into this game at some point. I love so many ideas but it always turns into a big deal when you just want to make everything look pretty and realistic.

Yeah, Move It is pretty great! I only wish that it would smooth out the anchor points when you raise/lower road, because it tends to end up pretty bumpy.

Here are some beauty screenshots to lure you back into the game ;)

Skärmbild (427).png Skärmbild (429).png Skärmbild (430).png Skärmbild (432).png

Edit: And here is an idea I copied from my hometown. It's the main bus hub in the city center and I reversed the traffic flow so that the buses go on the left hand side. The idea is that this allows the bus stops to be in the middle of the two roads and the passengers can easily switch to another line without crossing a road.

Skärmbild (436).png

Skärmbild (435).png

I should probably swap some of the stops though, because now the red line is on one "island" and the blue is on another. It's more likely that someone would switch from blue to red rather than from blue to blue, so it would make more sense to have a blue and a red stop on each "island".

Edit 2: Decided to try if replacing one of the busiest intersections with a roundabout would improve the traffic flow. Turned out it didn't. Instead it nuked the whole transportation network... Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Back