Classic PS1 Title Crash Team Racing Could Get a Remaster

Been enjoying the game alot more today after a bit of practice... Easy is far too easy, but Medium is quite a good challenge.

One or two things seem a bit odd though - I saved up Wumpa coins to buy an item from the 'Pit Stop' section (a paint skin) but it isn't letting me buy it.

I have over 4000 Wumpa coins and the skin is only 1500. When I went to unlock it, it says 'Are you sure you want to unlock this item?' and I click on OK, but then nothing happens.

Any ideas why that is?

Been enjoying the game alot more today after a bit of practice... Easy is far too easy, but Medium is quite a good challenge.

One or two things seem a bit odd though - I saved up Wumpa coins to buy an item from the 'Pit Stop' section (a paint skin) but it isn't letting me buy it.

I have over 4000 Wumpa coins and the skin is only 1500. When I went to unlock it, it says 'Are you sure you want to unlock this item?' and I click on OK, but then nothing happens.

Any ideas why that is?

I think some of the paints might be bugged. The Electron Aqua is definitely a bugged paint as users on Reddit have been reporting the same issue. I’d honestly work towards unlocking all of the characters. The paints do look pretty cool though

Time may have run out and it's no longer in the rotation?
No, it's a bug... I was trying to buy the Electron Aqua paint but it didn't work... I did, however, successfully buy a character so it was just that one item that failed.

There are some pit stop bugs as people have mentioned but that aside, I love this game. It's such great fun and just like the N. Sane Trilogy, it feels like it used to but with updated graphics. And I like the fact that the customisable karts and wheels don't affect the stats of the character you've chosen; it is something that makes it different from Mario Kart, even if it's a small thing.

I even enjoy the tracks from Nitro Kart that I don't really know, even though those games weren't great.

There are some pit stop bugs as people have mentioned but that aside, I love this game. It's such great fun and just like the N. Sane Trilogy, it feels like it used to but with updated graphics. And I like the fact that the customisable karts and wheels don't affect the stats of the character you've chosen; it is something that makes it different from Mario Kart, even if it's a small thing.

I even enjoy the tracks from Nitro Kart that I don't really know, even though those games weren't great.

The developers really went above and beyond for this game. It’s such an amazing game. Hopefully it’ll help shape future kart racers and put some punch into the competition

Got my copy today. Beenox have done an amazing job giving the original CTR the N.Sane treatment and more. I've found that even the first few Classic Adventure Mode races are really tense at times!

Indeed... my controller has nearly been through the window twice already.

If you can beat Hard in the Nitro-Fueled Adventure mode, you can easily beat any difficulty. I managed to beat it and I feel that my skills have actually increased greatly compared to when I first started. I absolutely love this game to bits. Can’t wait for the first Grand Prix to start! Gonna unlock everything there is to offer hopefully

If you can beat Hard in the Nitro-Fueled Adventure mode, you can easily beat any difficulty. I managed to beat it and I feel that my skills have actually increased greatly compared to when I first started. I absolutely love this game to bits. Can’t wait for the first Grand Prix to start! Gonna unlock everything there is to offer hopefully
Same here. Managed to beat Oxide in Classic Adventure mode yesterday after a few attempts, and am now in the process of completing it 100%. Learning and taking advantage of the boost mechanics is crucial if you want to outrace more difficult opponents - I've noticed a considerable difference to my pace by powersliding more often and timing boosts at the right moment.

Anyone else having issues where some of the challenges for the Grand Prix don't update when you do them? I've had to do a couple of challenges a few times before the game registered that I did them.

Some people are seriously too fast. I'm no slouch(I beat all the Oxide time trial ghosts in the original and I'm not too far off pace from then), but some of these guys online are nuts. I had a race just now where I walked away easily from third place, but the guy in first somehow lapped me. That's right. I drove clean and kept decent boost for the most part and the guy crossed the finish while I was still on lap two, in second place way ahead of everyone else. This is some serious alien stuff right here.

Quick question to those playing this. I've resisted so far on the basis that I'd work through my backlog and recent reviews. But is the new content that's coming as part of these regular updates time-sensitive? If so, I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet to avoid missing anything...

Quick question to those playing this. I've resisted so far on the basis that I'd work through my backlog and recent reviews. But is the new content that's coming as part of these regular updates time-sensitive? If so, I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet to avoid missing anything...

There's a kart that looks like a Maserati 250F you can get with nitro points (no wumpa coins needed) called the "Rocket," I had to make sure I got that one. :lol: No idea if it will be available to buy later. From what I heard, character skins like the Tiny Biker outfit might be available to get later.

Also beware of the bug that can corrupt your game data or saves if you do the time trials. Back up your saved data if you want to do those.

As far as I'm aware, the new content is tied in with the seasonal 'Grand Prix' events. New tracks are made available straight away in Local Arcade and Online modes, while new characters, karts and customisation options are unlocked through the Pit Stop or by earning 'Nitro Points' in specific challenges. An official blog states that the content introduced as part of the 'Grand Prix' events will be made available in the Pit Stop later on.
There's a kart that looks like a Maserati 250F you can get with nitro points (no wumpa coins needed) called the "Rocket," I had to make sure I got that one. :lol: No idea if it will be available to buy later. From what I heard, character skins like the Tiny Biker outfit might be available to get later.
Don't forget about the chibi LMP1 kart!

As far as I'm aware, the new content is tied in with the seasonal 'Grand Prix' events. New tracks are made available straight away in Local Arcade and Online modes, while new characters, karts and customisation options are unlocked through the Pit Stop or by earning 'Nitro Points' in specific challenges. An official blog states that the content introduced as part of the 'Grand Prix' events will be made available in the Pit Stop later on.

Don't forget about the chibi LMP1 kart!

Good news then.

Not to worry, I got the LMP1 as well.
muttley_white.gif

Some people are seriously too fast. I'm no slouch(I beat all the Oxide time trial ghosts in the original and I'm not too far off pace from then), but some of these guys online are nuts. I had a race just now where I walked away easily from third place, but the guy in first somehow lapped me. That's right. I drove clean and kept decent boost for the most part and the guy crossed the finish while I was still on lap two, in second place way ahead of everyone else. This is some serious alien stuff right here.

People are fast, but that's sounds a little too ridiculous. What track was it? Maybe he was taking some of the glitchy short cuts. Haven't seen anyone use them online but you never know.

Well... you have 6 days I think? The Rocket mentioned above for example may take a lot of grinding so be ready!

People are fast, but that's sounds a little too ridiculous. What track was it? Maybe he was taking some of the glitchy short cuts. Haven't seen anyone use them online but you never know.
Don't know the name as it was a CNK track, but it was the one that looks like a construction site with the crane magnets. There might be something fishy going on 'cause in another race later a guy hit me with a rolling bomb then dropped two (yes, two) TNT crates as he passed me. Plus, no way people are doing the Turbo Track time trial in 20 seconds like the leader boards show. Sub-7-second laps? No way I'm buying that.
I'll concede that there are plenty of players way beyond me, but there's a point where it just doesn't seem real anymore. Still loving the game, though!

sidenote: Anyone else notice some major inconsistency with some characters' scaling? Particularly taller characters like Papu and the flag girls appearing shrunken down in the karts.

Don't know the name as it was a CNK track, but it was the one that looks like a construction site with the crane magnets. There might be something fishy going on 'cause in another race later a guy hit me with a rolling bomb then dropped two (yes, two) TNT crates as he passed me. Plus, no way people are doing the Turbo Track time trial in 20 seconds like the leader boards show. Sub-7-second laps? No way I'm buying that.
I'll concede that there are plenty of players way beyond me, but there's a point where it just doesn't seem real anymore. Still loving the game, though!

sidenote: Anyone else notice some major inconsistency with some characters' scaling? Particularly taller characters like Papu and the flag girls appearing shrunken down in the karts.
Would that track happen to be Assembly Lane, by any chance? I don't remember playing much of CNK, but some of the tracks from that game (especially Electron Avenue) have become some of my absolute favourites from Nitro-Fueled.

Yeah, online mode can be really tough at times, especially when shortcuts, white flames and powerup usage come into play. You aren't the only one to notice the ridiculously-short time trial records, either. Apparently, there is a glitch on Turbo Track where you can skip almost the entire course by turning 270 degrees to the left and driving over the right-most turbo pad onto the nearby grass. This causes you to respawn behind the start-finish line, which somehow causes the game to think that you have completed the entire lap.

I remember seeing other players managing to find additional shortcuts on certain tracks that aren't supposed to be there, like this notorious one on Thunderstruck that later got patched out. One time, I ended up being in an online race where another player tried to pull off the shortcut post-patch; needless to say, they quickly became unstuck...

Would that track happen to be Assembly Lane, by any chance? I don't remember playing much of CNK, but some of the tracks from that game (especially Electron Avenue) have become some of my absolute favourites from Nitro-Fueled.
Yeah, I think that's the one. Some of the CNK tracks flow really well and are a joy to drive on, while others I'm not too thrilled about. It'll take some time to get really good on those tracks.

As far as overall pace goes, the only thing I'm missing is being able to hold the ultra flame for longer like some can and that weird u-turn thing. In the original I would just make tight little quick slide and hop combos then make up the time in the rest of the lap.

Also, was the original game as strict with touching walls? I don't remember instantly slowing to a crawl everytime I make the slightest brush. Very frustrating sometimes.

Yeah, I think that's the one. Some of the CNK tracks flow really well and are a joy to drive on, while others I'm not too thrilled about. It'll take some time to get really good on those tracks.

As far as overall pace goes, the only thing I'm missing is being able to hold the ultra flame for longer like some can and that weird u-turn thing. In the original I would just make tight little quick slide and hop combos then make up the time in the rest of the lap.

Also, was the original game as strict with touching walls? I don't remember instantly slowing to a crawl everytime I make the slightest brush. Very frustrating sometimes.

Can't remember about the wall collisions in the original CTR (it's been years since I last played it), but I too haven't mastered the art of getting and sustaining 'Ultra Sacred Fire' yet. 'Hop and slide' is my default tactic for when I need to maintain boost for long periods, and I found out through watching Caddicarus's review of Nitro-Fueled that tapping the brake right after jumping can also be useful when negotiating tighter corners- works especially well for me on that hairpin turn in Polar Pass.

A bit of a surprising but also non-surprising fact that Nitro-Fueled has become the Crash franchise's biggest launch in its history.

I can't hold on to "Ultra Sacred Fire" or Blue Fire very easily either, :lol: I've managed to do it on Tiny Temple with a speed character. Have gotten close at Hot Air Skyway, but always lose it at the last hairpin. Basically it's all about how many perfect boosts you do before reaching the Blue Fire turbo pad (good boosts won't do, must be perfect). Perfect boosts will fill up your "reserves" which get used when you run over a turbo pad. You can't hit any walls before you reach that turbo pad either, they will set your reserves back to zero. Once you get Yellow/Blue Fire you have to continue doing perfect boosts to keep the fire going.

There's also another weird thing called "froggy" where you hop constantly while going uphill, this can prolong sacred/yellow fire and USF apparently.

The tricky part is not hitting any walls when going at warp speed. I think the wall taps might have been like that in the original, but I had no idea about sacred fire and reserves back then. I just knew that not hitting the walls was good.
smiley_yes.gif
:lol:

"I would like to see... Crash Bandicoot's... impersonation... of Graham Hill!"

Crash™ Team Racing Nitro-Fueled_20190725191257.png

In other words, I finally managed to unlock the complete Rocket set (extra decals aside). Probably the last thing I'll obtain from the Nitro Tour Grand Prix before it ends this weekend, but the grind was worth it just for that.

Defeated all of Oxide's Time Trial ghosts the other day, Dragon Mines was the most frustrating one to do. Giving my thumbs and index fingers a bit of a rest now, :lol:

I'd like to see a Froilan Gonzalez racing outfit for Papu Papu to fit the Rocket. :D Papu needs big breakfast!

Defeated all of Oxide's Time Trial ghosts the other day, Dragon Mines was the most frustrating one to do. Giving my thumbs and index fingers a bit of a rest now, :lol:

I'd like to see a Froilan Gonzalez racing outfit for Papu Papu to fit the Rocket. :D Papu needs big breakfast!

Great job. I started few days ago with time trials. Never done in the past on PS1. You have really to nail 3 perfect laps to beat oxide. So far i have done It in 5 tracks Just ntrophy in 15.

Completing Adventure in hard mode was pretty fun, a good challenge. Just Trophy races.

Back