CLOSED: The GT5 Photomode Competition: Week 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL ENTRY
5380615579_4ecacf2983.jpg

A front wheel lock in the first corner at Suzuka.

Full size here

It would be nice if on the opening post that it set a time that the competition closes and not just a date because I would expect that every entry from that day would count and not just until they pick they're top 20 half way through the day, I've missed out on it twice now.
(Just a suggestion, not having a rant)

It's hard to set a firm time as it's up to when the week's judge logs in and picks. Mind you, there's an entire week, and we've set it up for the new themes to roll out on late Sunday / early Monday so that those who are busy during the week still have the weekend to compose an entry (as opposed to having themes come up on Fridays, for example).

The alternative is to just cut things off at midnight between Saturday and Sunday, but this current method gives us a bit more time. I can't speak on Nick's behalf, but I never ask a judge for their Top 20 for 2.0 until at least after 1700 GMT on Sunday.

The easy solution would be to not cut it so close each week :P

It's hard to set a firm time as it's up to when the week's judge logs in and picks. Mind you, there's an entire week, and we've set it up for the new themes to roll out on late Sunday / early Monday so that those who are busy during the week still have the weekend to compose an entry (as opposed to having themes come up on Fridays, for example).

The alternative is to just cut things off at midnight between Saturday and Sunday, but this current method gives us a bit more time. I can't speak on Nick's behalf, but I never ask a judge for their Top 20 for 2.0 until at least after 1700 GMT on Sunday.

One suggestion would be to just close the thread when you send the PM to the judge, that way people will know for sure if they've missed it or not. You don't necessarily need to set a specific time, just let them know "game over, you missed it".

FINAL ENTRY

GrandValleySpeedway1432445c5bjpg.jpg

I was struggling with me...I had 4 pictures to choose...I finally took the one I wanted to choose first...hope yo like it...

FINAL ENTRY

(insert image window a flockof falcons can swoop through)

I was struggling with me...I had 4 pictures to choose...I finally took the one I wanted to choose first...hope yo like it...

Holy wow... it's like an image bomb, in my eyeball

I know the feeling. Having managed a retail store in the past, during Holiday shopping people would wait until the last minute and then get mad at me if I didn't expedite their request or treat them as though they were the only person in the city who had a family or places to go. Sorry, poor planning on their part did not constitute an emergency on mine.

I'm guessing that setting up forms, the admin or mods can't give them a dedicated lifespan. After X time has passed, no posts can be made - end of story, you lose. Or, just include in the rules from the beginning that entries will be cut off from... say.... 12p Sunday (whatever timezone). Yeah, someone might say "well I'm located X" and they'll be behind or ahead.... but um... so? there are 24 hours in a day for everyone no matter where they are.

Last edited:
One suggestion would be to just close the thread when you send the PM to the judge, that way people will know for sure if they've missed it or not. You don't necessarily need to set a specific time, just let them know "game over, you missed it".

I also brought that up with Nicknamealguem a while back too; either of us posts the "Comp Closed" post ourselves, and as 90% of the time we already have the next week's theme in our possessions, we can start putting that up while people wait for the polls. I wouldn't lock the thread though - it makes collecting the poll info (links and previews) a bit harder for Nick. But I can do it for 2.0... perhaps I'll start doing it that way.

Okay, time to get 2.0's new threads up!

(NINJA-EDIT) - ejronin: No, a thread can't get a set lifespan. However, I'll start adding a 1700 GMT notice in the first post. Not a hard rule (yet), though. Personally, when I was just a participant in the comps, I always saw the deadline as a "Best Before" kind of date.

There are too many factors playing around about the start/end time of competitions so I won't even enter there.

As SlipZtrEm said, the deadline is more of a best before date. It's the date I will ask the Judge for the best entries to get into poll and it is the date I will close competition and open a new one. I won't set up any specific time since I don't even know if I could attend to close the competition at that said time.
What I may start doing, is to close the competition when I ask for the entries to go into poll. But as is is happening and happens, I still didn't receive the list of entries that will go into poll, and it gives time for late entries.

Since I will have to post the new week in short moments, I will have to close this one.

Competition CLOSED. Any entry from this post forward will not be valid at this point

Anyway lol I missed the competition for week 8.
I thought If I made it before 12am I'd be ok. Was at a family do, and didn't drink all night and came home early to post this picture. lol no worries I'm not much of a drinker anyway.

I can always catch another compatition. Although I did spend days trying to take/find the right photo for this one. lol It's my own fault I should be more decisive, couldn't make up my mind, and found I took too many photo's.

Here it is anyway, you'll probably think it's crap anyway. Goodluck in the comp anyway guy's.

Final Entry lol
I thought this picture was good cause it's clearly the first corner and the driver is staring at the corner.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't see the need for this to be it's own thread either. Instead of deleting it though, I'll just merge it into the existing thread. Where it belongs.

My mistake, I'd never of made the thread if I had thought this thread was still open, As I usually see threads like this close as soon as the finalists were picked. Sorry I was rushing and trying to pick my picture and post it before 12, and just wasn't thinking straight.

Thought it was just me .Probably it will be up soon but I think it is a half day behind planned date (like the 2.0 comp.)So maybe it will affect the usual Sunday deadline.

I think there's been a lot going on with both of the hosts at the minute, I'm sure they're doing their best to get everything done. :) You have to remember that they're also relying on the previous week's winner to send their poll choices on time, something which is totally out of their control!

I think there's been a lot going on with both of the hosts at the minute, I'm sure they're doing their best to get everything done. :) You have to remember that they're also relying on the previous week's winner to send their poll choices on time, something which is totally out of their control!

Yeah I think the Problem is Malc is yet to pick his best 20 .Pretty sure the Hosts have nothing to do with the problem.

ok guys im working on it tonight ;) - will have my top 40! In a few hours I'm sure...

And im working on Post #327 as the deadline... sorry to the others posting late but a line must be drawn...

It's very difficult to pick the poll entries, and it takes a long time too! There are so many pages to go through it's bound to take a while.

im taking my picture out (908 HDI downshifting with the header flames) out because im putting it in the other compitition thanks!!!

ok guys im working on it tonight ;) - will have my top 40! In a few hours I'm sure...

And im working on Post #327 as the deadline... sorry to the others posting late but a line must be drawn...

Good luck mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back