ClubSport V2 Introduction

• Thread starter thehawk05
  • 184 comments
Canada
Toronto
SignsOfChaos
SignsOfChaos
From Thomas' blog:

We thought about how to make something good even better and came up with the evolution of a legend. The ClubSport Pedals V2.

The ClubSport Pedal was the first of our ClubSport product line which represent these values:

All metal construction
High-End technology
Outstanding industrial design
Unbeatable price performance
As you all know there will be more ClubSport products coming up and they all have to match the level of the CSPs.

The new V2 version is rather an evolutiona than a complete new design because sometimes it is better not to change too much. Here are the new features:

1. Look
The pedals now come in anodized black and polished aluminum parts which gives it a more exclusive and classy touch. Of course the colour kits are fully compatible so you can change the look to all black or combine it with grey, orange red or blue.

2. Hydraulic brake
We have added an oil damper to the load cell brake to give it a more realistic and dampenend feeling. The feeling can be adjusted by replacing the silicone oil and use different viscosity and by changing the spring tension on the damper. It is simple but very effective. We also made the load cell brake stiffer and with a shorter travel by default.

3. Degressive clutch mechanism
Our Japanese friend Teki Ei-Ichi developed a new mechanism for the clutch for us. It gives you a degressive feel just like in a real car. Of course you can still adjust the spring strength.

There is no Tuning Kit up to now but we will have a kit coming up later. We thought about an upgrade kit as well but there are too many parts to replace so it would be quite expensive and it would be very complicated to install. The CSP achieve good prices at eBay so we doubt that it would be worth to offer such a kit as V1 owners would not save much money but have the hassle of installation and end up with a product with the old look and used parts. Therefore we decided not to offer such an upgrade kit and I hope you agree.

The CSP V2 will be shipped together with the ClubSport Wheel and we expect the first shipment in USA, EU and AUS in June. We will start taking pre-orders from our new website in May.

Price: 249,95 € (incl VAT) in EU and 249,95 USD (excl sales tax) in USA. Australian prices still need to be determined.

IMG_2339_1.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

Last edited:
I liked everything about that post on the Clubsport Pedals V2 execpt the bit about australian pricing. We always cop it on price here in australia.

I like the degressive clutch and the hydraulic brake. I currently use the Perfect Pedal and it feels great. This sounds really good except for one thing...below and above.

I liked everything about that post on the Clubsport Pedals V2 execpt the bit about australian pricing. We always cop it on price here in australia.
So true.

I do think that the $250 is a good price given the new clutch and brake features the V.2 offers providing they deliver performance-wise.

But I just bought CSPs, tuning kit, and a couple of spare load cells a few months ago, may have to wait this one out, can't justify buying new pedals and another tuning kit at this point.

Thomas stated there would be a tuning kit for the CSPs V.2 coming.

I wonder if the springs from the old tuning kit will be compatible with the CSPs V.2?

Will the improved V.2 load cell be compatible with V.1?

I do think that the $250 is a good price given the new clutch and brake features the V.2 offers providing they deliver performance-wise.

But I just bought CSPs, tuning kit, and a couple of spare load cells a few months ago, may have to wait this one out, can't justify buying new pedals and another tuning kit at this point.

Thomas stated there would be a tuning kit for the CSPs V.2 coming.

I wonder if the springs from the old tuning kit will be compatible with the CSPs V.2?

Will the improved V.2 load cell be compatible with V.1?

same question here. i just want the new brake sensor. will it be possible?

Never ever use the clutch pedal, so 250 euro is too much for me to upgrade to V2 just for the upgraded brake.

Just an brake upgrade kit for the CSP would be nice.

JogoAsobi

Same here with me. Only a couple of months ago I invested in some C1 CSP's.

Thomas, if you read this, is there no way that you would make 'upgrade' kits as one offs? For those who would like to upgrade there newish CSP's?

First impressions for me are that it's a worthwhile upgrade and a good spec for the price. Nice update in looks too. Giving it more thought however I feel these still won't quite match some higher end rivals. People wanting the CSW and purchase possiby several rims might want more, these just seem to lack a little or is that just me?

I just think their is a market for a 350-400 pedal set that would be more heavy duty and compare to other ranges that still cost much more. This whole idea of revised 2.0 and then a possible additional kit again isn't what I would of expected. Also why not 12bit resolution?

The CSRE pedals with modular design and easy inversion seemed better. I'd personally of liked that but in a quality/construction to match ECCI or other hi end solutions and doing what Fantec usually do in offering greater value for money.

Last edited:
I will be getting a set of V2 pedals. My CSPs are now over 2 years old and out of warranty. I was a little disappointed that there won't be an upgrade kit, but it won't hurt to have a spare set of pedals around to go with my spare wheel.

I think they look fabulous. People stated what they wanted and Fanatec listened. I can understand why there isn't an upgrade kit, I can imagine the furor now from those who destroyed their pedals because they didn't install correctly. That reimagined clutch is brilliant. Can't wait to put these through their paces. A worth while upgrade IMO. Time to pass on the CSP 1 padals to another for a good price on eBay. These pedals are outstanding value for money. My perfect pedal costs as much as this kit.

i just bout a pair of CSP in October, STILL NEVER USED THEM. Ive been waiting for the csw to make a new rig that can hold the pedals as well. i really like the look of the new V2 but in reality that's all they have. the break upgrade can only be minor, the clutch upgrade is pointless to me as with most people im sure. i feel the only thing that would have caused me to sell my csp for a new v2 would be added resolution. i just feel i was tricked into the csp earlier, when the csw was supposed to be out in December (shame on me though i should have known) i think im still happy with my purchase.

They look great. I'll keep my CSP until they die, but if I didn't own them I'd buy these for sure. I do like the feedback on the clutch though, that's quite awesome they implemented that from that Japanese guy.

Last edited:
Mahnegold
Hmm, the damper looks very similar to any RC-Car shock absorber, so maybe modding is an option here?

That's exactly what it is. I have a photo of V2 prototypes that clearly shows them using a CPV Racing spring/damper used in RC cars. Something similar to these:

http://www.cpvracing.com/detail.asp?id=14532
58700R.jpg

2094d3c9.jpg

Deepending on one's skillset and some tools it wouldn't be overly difficult to add one of these to an older V1 set....the hardest part would be making the long silver bracket. The shock assemblies are not expensive either.....I've found them online for $28 for the pair I've shown above.

KashunatoR

The load cell itself is no different than the old version.....Thomas stated they revised the stiffness and travel of it. Both of those can be tweaked on the V1s if you have the tuning kit which comes with stiffer foam and a longer rod that go inside the cell block.

Also of note is they've changed the default mounting location of the pivot point for the brake on the V2. On the V1 the pivot rod was installed by default in the lowest hole on the brake pedal arm. On the V2 it's mounted in the second hole up from the lowest point. Many people (myself included) did this tweak themselves on their V1s.....it reduces the pedal travel quite a bit and gives the brake pedal a better feel.

Last edited:
Hmm, the damper looks very similar to any RC-Car shock absorber, so maybe modding is an option here?

soon as I got the news about the new pedals from fanatec i got this idea of modding it!

i've been looking around and I found this guys selling this damper on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_2673wt_952

what do you guys think? it worth to try to adapt these on the club-sport V1? or might be another kind of absorber though!

I'm really excited to start modding my now old club-sport pedals!

Im not exactly sure what they tried to accomplish with the brake pedal. Its still a load cell based pedal with a shock on it. It doesent read any pressure from the shock. What sold me on a hydraulic pedal was the fact that it read the pressure BUILD UP. The faster you push the perfect pedal the faster it stiffens up, and if you ease on the brake the pedal has a bit more travel. So it is basically just a stiffer spring update. What I am interested in though is how the new clutch pedal feels.

Same here with me. Only a couple of months ago I invested in some C1 CSP's.

Thomas, if you read this, is there no way that you would make 'upgrade' kits as one offs? For those who would like to upgrade there newish CSP's?

Yah I said this on his blog but the reasoning for no upgrade kits makes no sense after offering an upgrade kit on the gt3rs which was a far more complicated install.

Hey guys with version 1 clubsport pedals. Is there any way to adapt the Perfect Pedal mod to the clubsports. Sorry for the stupid question.

Mayaman
Hey guys with version 1 clubsport pedals. Is there any way to adapt the Perfect Pedal mod to the clubsports. Sorry for the stupid question.

Mechanically sure....anything is possible with a little ingenuity. However....adapting the electronics aspect of it is a whole other matter as the PP Mod circuit board in all likelihood uses different output values than what the Fanatec load cell is sending to the Clubsport's PCB.

In any case there would be a fair amount of fab work involved to do it and it becomes an expensive experiment if you can't get it to work.

Well the reason I bring it up is because I'm suing the perfect pedal with my CSR E using the Fanatec converter for G27 pedals. Could this help?

Yah I said this on his blog but the reasoning for no upgrade kits makes no sense after offering an upgrade kit on the gt3rs which was a far more complicated install.

Agreed, and its not like installing the tuning kit for the CSPs was a walk in the park either, they have to be partially disassembled just to install the springs, foam and brake bar.

If the tuning kits' bushings and pedal axles are installed on earlier CSPs that had plastic bushings/brass axles then the CSPs have to be almost completely torn down.

Well maybe this will create a market space for someone among the various product manufacturers that frequent and peddle their wares on this site to produce an alternative upgrade kit.

Personally I think the whole "no upgrade kit" is simply not wanting to package a kit together to sell...the work to install it is no more difficult than installing the tuning kit on the original V1s with their plastic bushings and in my mind the kit wouldn't be worth much more than $60-70 anyway given how few components are required to do the upgrade.

I for one won't be jumping on the V2 bandwagon. They're nice and all and I like the upgrades but the clutch means nothing to me as I don't use mine now and the brake is the only intriguing thing for me and I doubt the improvement is all that dramatic and certainly not worth it for the money I'll lose selling my V1s.

For me it would be expensive to upgrade to the V2.

My V1s cost me $254 ($200 +13% tax+$28 shipping) If I'm lucky I would get $150 on eBay for them as demand will drop once the word spreads that a new version of the Clubsport is out. So call it $100 lost there.

The new V2 would run me about $310 after shipping and tax. Minus the $150 I might get for my V1s plus the $100 hit I took on them to sell them I'm eating $260. That's not even factoring in what I lose from the expense of adding the tuning kit to my V1.

So the argument of "not saving a lot by using an upgrade kit" doesn't wash or hold any weight.

Last edited:
So there won't be an upgrade kit? That's a shame... V2s are fabulous but I have no 250 euros lying around and my CSPs are pretty much new (bought them in September).

Its definitely not a big job to add v2 bits to v1 pedals.

Something i have noticed that may be a issue is that the hydraulic damper and spring are not centered directly behind the brake pedal, like v1's are.

alot of the time when i brake with my rightfoot i use the right edge of the brake pedal, im guessing it would feel a bit different when braking using the right edge of the brake pedal when the the tension/spring is on the opposite side.

To elaborate a bit more im thinking the braking feel/tension would be different(this would vary on how soft/stiff you set the damper and the pressure setting on the load cell) if you placed your foot on the three areas of the brake pedal ie middle area, right area and left area. and if you are like some people who move the brake pedal more to the left or right, this difference in feeling would be even greater in the three areas.

Of course if you only use one area of the brake pedal then it should not be a issue, but i use all three areas. worse case scenario is your brain and leg muscles have to remember three different types of pressure to gain same braking level, saying that though even with v1 pedals where the spring is directly centered in the middle of the pedal, there are probably differences when using the three areas of the brake pedal however these differences would be very slight because the spring is situated directly behind.

I guess it also depends on how rigid the whole brake unit/area of v2's are, the differences in feeling im talking about would be really noticeable if there was any play in the brake pedal area.

Also remember this is just a theory of mine, ive never tried v2 pedals, they could be a difference but it may be so small that it doesnt matter. im just sharing my concerns with you all, im most likely wrong.

Back