Clutch, still an utter joke!

• Thread starter ApexVGear
  • 71 comments
Ok here is a great clutch gearbox test! In a 125 shifter kart you MUST match your revs to your shift you do most of your driving using your right foot to match your steering input and left foot brake!This is nearly impossible to do in GT6, a game that has shifter karts,go figure,now I know PD plays their own game for hours and hours in development so this had to be a known issue so its elementary that this is a built in issue to even out playstation pad users with wheel pedal users.Keep everyone on an even keel and piss off nobody except now EVERYONE is pissed off.The clutch transmission and rev synch is really PRETTY DAMN IMPORTANT when making a driving game so because I spent some hard earned greenbacks on a T500rs and a TH8rs shifter and then $60 on GT6 I kind a do expect this to work well,please spend a little of your time and patch it PLEASE!!!Gran Turismo is a fundementally great game and I will always spout its praise,but HELL get this right so I can still be your best fan..........

First of I'm using a G27, and being from Scandinavia in real life, driving with manual transmission is the norm. Remembering back to driving school this is basically how your first hour would go (learning to drive manual ;-) )

Now try and follow these steps in GT6 and post your results...

1. fully press down on the clutch and the brake, start the car and shift into 1st.
The revs will be ie. at 1100 in this state

2. Gently lift the clutch untill you hear/fell the engine humm "deeper" (This is where the "gripping point" is)
At this point you will noticed the revs drops down to lets say 900 then slowly starts climbing again.

3. Now release the brake and the car will start to move slowly.

4. Release the clutch and you will be "coasting" along at a speed around 10-12 kph

(During this you never touch the gas/speeder)

Now I only did a quick test on a single car earlier today after the update, can't say I was impressed tho...

@ApexVGear - The clutch has been slightly improved in the 1.05 update.

There is a lot more progressive slip when the clutch is being released now, so much so that driving cars without ABS which used to lock their wheels on downshifting, no longer happens (unless the downshifts are very early & aggressive). I was able to drive my Lotus Esprit V8 for the first time without ABS & without the wheels locking when shifting down. However, there is still no progressive clutch slip when pressing the clutch in, only when coming off it, & the age old problem of being thrown into neutral is still there. It's a small step forward, hopefully the first of many.

I have been one of the few defenders of the clutch since GT5.
Since 1.05, I have experienced considerably more drops to neutral.

Most of the time in the past I got them trying to make time upshifting.
But I eliminated that months ago...
...by completely letting off the gas then completely depressing the clutch...
...something I would prefer not to do, as it costs serious time.
(The upside being I had to compensate by driving better)

Post 1.05, I now experience neutral drops even when downshifting.
I am now gravitating towards @ApexVGear's opinion.
I have been able to make it work by compensating.

Last edited:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-20-inside-the-house-of-cars

"Yamauchi thinks that it's hard to replicate proper clutch control unless you have force feedback on that third pedal as well as on the shifter itself."

Looks like we'll need new pedals, shifter and IMO most likely a new console

That is probably one of the most important finds ever regarding Kaz's attitude towards the clutch, & may reveal why he's not too bothered about fixing it. It would seem that Kaz is very much an 'all or nothing type' of thinker, i.e. if the clutch can't be made to work "properly" then don't bother working on it at all. True, it can't be as realistic as possible without the hardware to support it, but that's no reason to not try & get it performing at it's best on the available equipment.

True but from another point of view, this could be the time of peripheral manufacturer to buck up and develop all 4 sides. Long life wheel with good feedback and change, H shifter that doesn't clunk but switches with out dropping neutral, pedals where each has a resisting servo and actuator to give feedback and resistance and an actual hand brake attachment that can be switched wrc/drift to road car.

You don't need FF on the clutch pedal to make it function properly though. It's just more of Kaz making things up, making excuses. Sure an FF clutch pedal would be great, but that has absolutely nothing to do with that fact that he won't/ can't fix it as it is.. Even Kaz mentioning needing FF on the pedal to make it work right hints at a cop-out.

H shifter that doesn't clunk but switches with out dropping neutral...

It's not the fault of the shifter that causes the neutral problem, it's the fault of how it's programed to respond by the game developer.

BWX
You don't need FF on the clutch pedal to make it function properly though.

Of course not, that's why I put the word "properly" in inverted commas, to indicate that I meant proper in Kaz's mind.

VBR
It's not the fault of the shifter that causes the neutral problem, it's the fault of how it's programed to respond by the game developer.

Of course but i couldn't help adding something that could be improved externally. Could just be that little bit smoother and sweeter.

FF on the Clutch could just aid the bite point and slip effect. Going light once engaged and heavy once retracted. Not saying its an excuse for a problem that could be tweeked digitally but could be made easier by manufacturers researching it.

Back