Cockpit view - IMHO overated and not so useful...

im used to it, so i like it

when driving premiums, i only use cockpit. and every once in a while i use the angle where it shows the whole car, just so that i can hear the exhaust note more

Its useful if you have a triple screen setup.

How many people really have 3 PS3's 3 HDTV's and 3 Copy's of GT5??

I enjoy the interior view when messing around, i love to see how it would feel to sit inside cars i would normally never get to drive... But when i need to be competitive its bumper cam/roof cam for me.

OK, I think this is probably a no win discussion-pretty much how ever you like to race. I prefer the cockpit view and don't find any of the other views very realistic. If you go sit in "your real" car what do you see? The steering wheel-dash-etc.etc. Pretty much what you see in the cockpit view right. Now I agree with alot of the comments and its probably not the best view for cutting lap times and visiblilty-pretty much any view outside of your vehicle is going to give you better visibility but honestly I don't find that very realistic at all. Also I don't think that people realize the cockpit view has a tremendous difference looking at a 60" screen compared to a 32".

Great insight by OP, I was thinking the same thing last night ha.

When I feel really stressed, or need to cut a few more tenths, I tend to switch to bumper cam. I have tested myself though on different courses, and my times between the views are nearly identical, so bumper cam for me more or less just FEELS faster. Plus it's what I used in the past, so it's a security blanket. :)

I prefer cockpit view though, but in certain cars will change it from wide to the middle setting.

My setup, DFGT anchored to computer desk with a 23" LCD around 2 ft away works very well with cockpit view ... my wheel and hands tend to block the screens wheel and hands, and the perspective seems appropriate. But that's just my setup lol.

Yea I don't use cockpit much at all.. I don't care about the standard and premium thing.. I just want to be able to change the wheels on my standard cars and Ill be happy. I normally show the cock pit to my on lookers to show detail but that's it. Game look much better for Hood/roof/bumber cam.

I liked the cockpit view on gt5p but it vibrates now.... makes me dizzy.

I tried cockpit view, but it doesn't feel natural at all - it actually feels like the bumper cam, a little higher, and with a cockpit pasted on.

I prefer bumper cam, as it is the view that I have used since the first game, and although not natural, it is completely comfortable.

I have one niggle with bumper cam though. In GT5, the sides of the car protrude slightly beyond the boundaries of the screen. In previous games, you could be assured that the sides of the screen signified the sides of the car, but I keep getting niggling little knocks and bumps from things by the side of me, that I should be no where near... :odd: 👍

Cockpit view all the life!it's more realistic and immersive and gives you more sensation about over and under-steering !I use the bumper view just for the standard cars and only for Gt-lif,for the online I drive only premium cars!

I play with cockpit view exclusively on on PC sims and GT5, unless it is a standard car. Cockpit view is one of the major reason I play this game.

To calan- imagine how criticized PD would be if they included the cockpit view with no hands and no wheels on the TV display. They can't NOT include them.

Nah. You do what other simulator developers have done for years; you add a simple option to turn them on or off. It's not really rocket science. :)

Realism= showing what is there, and what is there are wheels, dashes, hands, etc.

Realism is the real pair of hands on the real steering wheel mounted to the real racing chassis sitting in front of my screen. :D

I'm amazed at the number of people that say how "real" the cockpit view is. In 30 years of real-life driving (including racing), I have yet to experience a single real-life cockpit view that is anything at all like GT5's interpretation of it.

I play on a 24" monitor and while I do like to play around in the cockpit view, bumpercam is my preferred view. For some reason the cockpit view just seems off and mildly claustrophobic. Its a good idea but in practice I just dont find it helpful or all that realistic. Feels like Im driving from the back seat while wearing blinders, and looking through a window. What I want though is a proper hood cam. Not just center windshield but a driver position offset view that can see a bit of the hood.

Using cockpit view on a single monitor is not totally useful because the true FOV is not rendered properly, whereas cockpit view on a triple screen setup the FOV is expanded allowing for greater immersion, which is why I not happy with the fact the PD did give us the option to triple screen.

The In-car view is great but like a couple people have mentioned within this thread, the amount of shaking that goes on is ridiculous. On Forza 3 I used the In-car view because I enjoy the seeing the interior as well as all the working gauges of cars I've physically seen, driven or never will see nor drive in my lifetime. However, GT5 I just use the bumper view like I've done in all the previous GT series games I've owned.

I road track race in real life and obviously using the cockpit view is the ONLY way to re-create that experience. So every time I get into a premium car I use the cockpit view. Its the only view that feels right.
I just wish all games had the feature from Test Drive Unlimited that let you move your seat up down, forward and back. So you could position yourself perfectly in that game. :)

Shaky cam im cool with, I love NFSshift's cockpit view, that was dead on what I would like for GT. The problem with gt5's cockpit view to me is that the field of view is too narrow through the windshields, it feels like the tops of the cars are squished and you can barely see anything. The pillars are too obstructive, you can only see the opposite half of the front end on most cars. The Mclaren F1 is the only cockpit I've found to be good simply because you sit in the middle of the car and can see the entire front end... Not to mention the fact that there is sooooo much detail in the interiors which you never see aside from the photomode trickery. GT really needs to get with the program with a right analog pannable camera view. It shouldn't need to be keymapped for each direction, just let it free-look. Also need to use the same mechanic to rotate the camera with exterior view as well.

Cockpit view is fun for a bit, I'm using a controller by the way. It changes up things from the outside view and helps me take a turn a bit more seriously.

I play GT5 to feel what its like to drive the cars. You don't drive cars strapped to the bumper.

I'm sure I could go faster with bumper cam, but that's not what it's all about for me. I seem to be doing just fine in cockpit view and I do get at sense of "immersion" from seeing the wheel, and dash, and dials of the different cars.

In my humble opinion, the players who use bumper view exclusively, are missing out on a large part of the game.

It sounds corny, but it is very cool to get a brand new premium Ferrari, and get a little taste of what it's like to be sitting in the drivers seat, rather than stapled to the front bumper.

So, I have the exact opposite opinion of the OP. I would say cockpit view is UNDERRATED... its usefulness is another question. Like I said. I seem to be doing just fine.

Cockpit view would have probably been a lot more useful if the head tracking worked worth a damn. Since that's not the case, I rather like the "bumper cam" that's not really anywhere near the bumper (thankfully). Does it even say that's a bumper-cam anywhere? Because it really isn't.

If cockpit view had the option to center horizontally, and the car to turn semi-transparent I'd like it more. Of course the difference between that and "bumper cam" seems pretty small.

I personally use cockpit view when I'm messing around and not going 100%.

If it's a time trial or a tough race then I'm usually in bumper or hood view.

BTW on some car it's pretty ridiculous to use cockpit, I have great pain using cockpit on C4 WRC or SX4 WRC. The sun-blocking strip pretty much took out all the visibility to look ahead especially on tracks with elevation changes...

Using cockpit view on a single monitor is not totally useful because the true FOV is not rendered properly, whereas cockpit view on a triple screen setup the FOV is expanded allowing for greater immersion, which is why I not happy with the fact the PD did give us the option to triple screen.
The PS3 doesn't support multiple monitor output - this is not PD's fault! They can't support something that is not possible with the hardware. Even if the PS3 could output multiple signals, it wouldn't have the rendering power to display three different real-time 3D views.

So, I have the exact opposite opinion of the OP. I would say cockpit view is UNDERRATED... its usefulness is another question. Like I said. I seem to be doing just fine.

Thats the whole point......

The PS3 doesn't support multiple monitor output - this is not PD's fault! They can't support something that is not possible with the hardware. Even if the PS3 could output multiple signals, it wouldn't have the rendering power to display three different real-time 3D views.

Its an option PD did not give. GT4 and Forza3 and likely FM4 has it.......

I've tried hard to like cockpit view but its impossible. The shake is completely unrealistic and makes me sick.

Also, in wide view it's like you are sitting in a reclined cruising position, not realistic driving posture. If you zoom to wide or extra wide it seems more reasonable, but your view is unrealistically limited.

You may want to go research that one a little better.

The cockpit cams are pretty and for a relaxed test drive with the HUD off it is very nice indeed. But for racing it is useless. The camera shaking hits my nerves for critical damage and that's the only reason really. Plenty of other racing sims have camera shaking to simulate g-forces and rumble strips, but they are actually realistic. GT5's camera just shakes randomly every time you turn the wheel, and the higher speed you have, the more it shakes. Try going around Indy at the limit (corner-out as close to the wall as possible) without hitting the wall. Undoable.

The bumper cam is OK, but I find it annoying that it is not really a bumper cam, it is a hood cam (at lower height) with the hood suddenly invisible. So as you go around quick corners, say in the FGT on Cote d'Azur, you will hit the inside walls with your invisible hood/spoiler. Of course you also have to add a meter or two when driving behind other cars since the invisible hood is there.

So I'm using the roof cam more and more. Not because it gives more visibility, but because I can make my own camera shake by jumping in my seat or flexing my buttocks and I can hear my car's sounds more clearly.

I road track race in real life and obviously using the cockpit view is the ONLY way to re-create that experience. So every time I get into a premium car I use the cockpit view. Its the only view that feels right.
I just wish all games had the feature from Test Drive Unlimited that let you move your seat up down, forward and back. So you could position yourself perfectly in that game. :)

That would be sick! This one of the many things I loved about TDU and I'm looking forward to TDU2.

Cockpit view is my favourite option by far. I find it much more immersive, and it adds to the character of each car. It really translates how it feels behind the wheel.

Now, performance wise, I thought I wouldn't be as good as with the bumper cam, with the restrictions of the field of view that come with cockpit view. I must admit that having a big (40") full-HD TV made a big difference in that respect: it still leaves a big portion of the screen to see your surroundings. Using a SD TV (with GT Prologue) was much less comfortable. Now, I found out that I was able to do as good in cockpit view as in bumper cam, if not better (for one thing, I golded all license tests like that). The only bad points were when driving the C4 WRC and its ridiculous sun-blocking strip, as RacingManiac pointed out.

As far as the "camera shaking during cockpit view" is concerned, I find it rather accurate, not exagerating and not hampering your perception. In comparison, the cockpit view in the NFS shift demo was terrible (it's an earthquake!!!)

YES! and better adjustments for the FOV

BTW on some car it's pretty ridiculous to use cockpit, I have great pain using cockpit on C4 WRC or SX4 WRC. The sun-blocking strip pretty much took out all the visibility to look ahead especially on tracks with elevation changes...

LOL,yeah man. drivng the C4 sucks using cockpit view......

Back