Cockpit view - IMHO overated and not so useful...

Well, have fun with the beautiful enviroment in Trial Mountain or Deep Forest...

I always use cockpit view because there is no "bumper cam" in real life. It makes racing much more intense.

Lol I hope you're just quoting that in reference to others and not me. I choose cockpit view.

Initially I used to use bumper cam, overall in the Prologue (as well as all previous GT), but then I realised that the cockpit view, in GT5, is an artwork and now I am even faster with it. It is just getting used to it...

Last edited:
Cockpit view is pretty. But also pretty useless.

Having driven dozens of premiums, my conclusion is: most cockpits don't let you see the road properly, making them useless and not realistic in the least bit.

Thats what I hate about my real car. I drive a Ford, and I hate how the steering wheel, dash, and hood don't let me see the road properly. It's so unrealistic.

:sly:

In real life your constrained to cockpit view, so that is what I use unless the cockpit is terrible like the Citroen concept cars. This is also why I don't drive standards.

Standard cars are Collectables. And useful for some events, but that's it. :)

Cockpit view is the best part of GT5. The biggest + why i bought GT5. Can't play without, everything else is too arcade'ish.

Anyone ever noticed that the track & the surrounding looks "better" (less pixels & more depth) in the cockpit view compared to the bumper cam?

I've been playing GT in the bumper view since the dawn of mankind and I'm not about to stop now. Maybe if the view didn't revert back to the bumper after I drive a standard I would actually use it, but the fact is it does.

Also all of my favourite cars are standards, the physics are the same, so by using the bumper camera 100% of the time I don't suffer from the distinction between premium and standard, thus allowing me to enjoy all the cars, unlike what seems to be a lot of other people.

I don't mind the cockpit view, though, I just can't be bothered with it.

I played gt 1 and 2 arcade mode only with friends and was never interested in the gt mode part. Missed out on the following gts until prologue on ps3 which i just had to get cos it had cockpit view. Since then i play the game in its entirety. Cockpit view has added the depth and immersion that i had been getting on f1 games which already had cockpit view. I think the 'blind spots' actually add to the realism and challenge. There is nothing more satisfying than watching a replay where u nail all the apexes and it was driven in cockpit view. So while i've always liked driving games, the inclusion of usable cockpit views has meant that i now love these games especially gran turismo 5. So cockpit view is totally necessary to me. Sort the standards out PD I need to try the lambo countach and veyron!

I use cockpit on every other game except gt5 and it probably has thebest looking one lol. dunno it just detracts from the feeling of the car and most of all watching the steering inputs is a joke.

Anyone ever noticed that the track & the surrounding looks "better" (less pixels & more depth) in the cockpit view compared to the bumper cam?

Strange, for me it's exactly the opposite :dopey:

I use both views on the premium cars depending on the situation. In fast cars with good visibility I mostly stick with the cockpit view. In the slower cars I use cockpit view when I feel like, but I find the sense of speed better in bumper cam.

Standard cars are Collectables. And useful for some events, but that's it. :)

Cockpit view is the best part of GT5. The biggest + why i bought GT5. Can't play without, everything else is too arcade'ish.

So, than let´s race together and I bet, I will be 3 seconds faster on a normal track.

I use cockpit on every other game except gt5 and it probably has thebest looking one lol. dunno it just detracts from the feeling of the car and most of all watching the steering inputs is a joke.

This. You have no feeling about the car anymore, if the speed gets higher.

So, than let´s race together and I bet, I will be 3 seconds faster on a normal track.

I don't know if i am faster with bumper cam or with cockpit view. But i am using premiums & cockpit view all time if the car is competitive for the race.
I am feel more comfortable with cockpit view. :)

For the battle, i've posted a 8:04,457 (rank #243 now) on the Nürburgring seasonal 15 with the HDi FAP + cockpit view. What's your time? :sly:

I don't know if i am faster with bumper cam or with cockpit view. But i am using premiums & cockpit view all time if the car is competitive for the race.
I am feel more comfortable with cockpit view. :)

For the battle, i've posted a 8:04,457 (rank #243 now) on the Nürburgring seasonal 15 with the HDi FAP + cockpit view. What's your time? :sly:

I forgot to say, I use hood cam :D When I read it again, I thought: "Man, I am stupid. How should he know, why I am faster?" :D

I don´t use LeMans cars that often and I don´t have a Peugeot HDI (or is it Audi?). On Nordschleife, I just use touring cars in most situations (from time to time GTs too). For example, I tried it with the stock Nissan 350Z Superleggera and made a 9:01:*** and with the AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5-16 Evo II DTM (+20kg) I made a 8:36 or something similar.

On PC sims I run pretty much exclusively cockpit view, but in GT5 now I run cockpit view only when I am going at 85-90% fast. If I am really pressed for time I go for roof/hood view(I need to see the car in some way), this is except McLaren F1, since the center seat really gives you that panoramic view. The issue I think with GT5 vs say GTR for the cockpit view is that you are stuck with their view point. In GTR not only you can adjust wide or narrow view you can set height as well, which may not be a realistic touch but it makes it more useful to get the view you wanted. The other issue with zoomed in view I find is it distort some sensation of speed and yaw movement, it makes it very difficult to get an accurate sense of "attachment" to the car....

I agree the GTR/Race 07 cockpit view is far better since it can be tweaked. You can get it to what feels natural for you and create "attachment"

I personally like the remove hands and wheel option too(I hate the distracting delayed movements and exaggerated paddle shifts in GT5), some think that's stupid but it helps the attachment thing.

Whats weird for me is I can make faster laps in cockpit, versus on the bumper cam. I guess its just cause I focus only on whats coming up.

Ever since I got a wheel, I started to use the hood/roof camera. It's so much better IMO

That view is definitely a lifesaver. I feel without that view, I would never drive the standard cars. I was never even planning on driving the standards, but since I've grown tired of the repetitive premiums I've been enjoying the standards with the hood cam.

I don't mind the cockpit view myself. It isn't very good to drive in with some cars (Citroen GT and rally cars in particular) but it adds to the realism very much me thinks. :D

They need to add cockpit view adjustments menu. With up/down/forward/back, shaking and FOV settings. That way cockpit view might be more useful.

They need to add cockpit view adjustments menu. With up/down/forward/back, shaking and FOV settings. That way cockpit view might be more useful.

Yepp, that´s absolutely right. You need the option to adjust the position and visual appearence. Because every user has it´s own preferences.

On PC, most racing sims have this options.

Whats weird for me is I can make faster laps in cockpit, versus on the bumper cam. I guess its just cause I focus only on whats coming up.

This is because you are (like me) used to the cockpit view.

Calling cockpit view useless and slow is utter nonsense. Most people who are bashing this cam, don`t give this view a chance.
Come on, what is so different about having your driving position not in the middle of the car...

Most of us already have a drivers license and drive cars ever day...

There is an option somewhere to adjust the size of the cockpit view right down to where you can barely see the wheel, there's 3 positions, just can't remember how to do it. Will have a look when I get in.

Yesterday it struck my mind like a blizzard! Why are ther so many standard cars?! They spent alot time for modelling the premiums. Yeah we have so many japanese crap...but where does it come from?...from GT4!...wouldn't it be better to leave those low-poly models?

...NO!...why?...because they've put work in those cars! It's the same if you put sooo much effort in something and then throw it away. I mean all the cars too have their physics and so on. All the adjustments. If there would be only the 200 premiums...no one would say a word...or maybe yes? Maybe then come all the whinners who say..hey in past GT games there were almost 3 times more cars...what now?!

So thinking about this all, i come to the conclusion...everything is fine. The only thing you can complain is, that many of the cars are badly ported. But thats it.

This is because you are (like me) used to the cockpit view.

Calling cockpit view useless and slow is utter nonsense. Most people who are bashing this cam, don`t give this view a chance.
Come on, what is so different about having your driving position not in the middle of the car...

Most of us already have a drivers license and drive cars ever day...

I played Race07 and GT Legends on PC for years. And I always used cockpit view and nothing else. But they are completely different from what GT5 can offer us. On PC, the view is smooth and adjustable and don´t detract you from the cars behaviour.

In GT5, I get no feeling for the car in any way, so for me it is useless.

I freaking hate the camera shake, it was better when it did not exist in gt5p

👍 Definitely.
+2 Why not add a simple option to turn OFF the shake n bake effect? I really hate that and I wish I could come back to GT5p view.

There is an option somewhere to adjust the size of the cockpit view right down to where you can barely see the wheel, there's 3 positions, just can't remember how to do it. Will have a look when I get in.
Pressing start button once you are in race than there is a small menu where you can select to turn off the HuD, adjust dashboard view in 3 positions and turn off the map.

Only game I've used cockpit view is in TDU (PC). While cruising (which is pretty much what the game is about for most people) it's more about the experience than "perfecting lap times". :) And in that case cockpit view can really enhance the experience.

In GT5 I can't stand the cockpit view for even a lap.. I just feel cramped. No sense of where I am on the road and so on.. I really wish there was a hood view! The roof view has got to be one of the worst ones ever, can't believe it stuck from GT4. It might be decent with a gamepad, but it's terrible with a wheel (+on a widescreen, the car only takes up like 1/3 of the screen with that view).

Personal opinion of course, it's just good if SOMEONE like the roof view.. I just don't see why there's no hood view as well.. It's just a matter of X,Y,Z coordinates.. :(

Since the seating position is already different between a lot of Premium cars (in some you sit much closer to the dashboard than others, or even lower or higher), which is decided by PD, I too would like it to be adjustable to at least have more consistency and choice (the same preferred position for all cars or a different position for a specific car to have more visability).
Since they modelled the entire interior, choosing the camera position could be possible I guess.
Why they for example chose to put the camera further towards the dashboard in a few Premium cars already in Prologue (where they put it further back, which I liked much more) is beyond me.
A lot of small details which were in Prologue are slightly scaled down too, or more blurry and less clear (digital info for example).

Back