Cockpit view - IMHO overated and not so useful...

A lot of small details which were in Prologue are slightly scaled down too, or more blurry and less clear (digital info for example).

This is to owe to the larger extent and more complex graphics and physics calculations.

Last edited:
Tried hard to like it but I keep going back to the much more useful bumper view.

So I cannot understand all the premium/standard, cockpit/no cockpit, HUD/no HUD discussions.

Let me explain:

"theoretically" your cockpit is your own steering wheel and the chair in your living room (or whatever place you are), and your TV is like the windscreen.
If we agree to this then you do not need to see the cockpit of the car in game as well. This would be like looking inside the cockpit through another cockpit..
Positioning-wise the inside cockpit view would only make sense in theory if you could bring the TV 20 cm from your eyes and your actual steering wheel behind the tv!!! This way you would see the driver's arms without seeing yours.

Yes the dials and the cockpit details and the bell & whistles are nice (and many prefer to see all this stuff), but at the end of the day the driving matters and I bet NO ONE can drive better from the cockpit view when comparing to the bumper view.

Anyone feels like this or am I the only one??

Now flame me as much as you like you cockpit-view lovers!!! :)

This made my day. I couldn't stop laughing.

This is to owe to the larger extent and more complex graphics and physics calculations.

Oh, there's probably a technical reason for it (why else downscale?) but it again shows that it all didn't exactly go according to plan.
At least the initial plan of full detail, they perhaps only realized the limitations of current hardware after releasing Prologue.

Oh, there's probably a technical reason for it (why else downscale?) but it again shows that it all didn't exactly go according to plan.
At least the initial plan of full detail, they perhaps only realized the limitations of current hardware after releasing Prologue.

Yes, that should be the reason. While the content and features grew, they reached the hardware limit. That´s one of the reasons, why the shadows are so low res and pixelated, for example.

That view is definitely a lifesaver. I feel without that view, I would never drive the standard cars. I was never even planning on driving the standards, but since I've grown tired of the repetitive premiums I've been enjoying the standards with the hood cam.
Haha I thought I was the only one. I COMPLETELY avoid driving Standards but I do drive a very very small handful.

I am still annoyed that the fact that this game has ported cars. Smh PD

Wow. Am I the only one that uses the zoomed out view, where you see the whole car? I just like looking at the car while I drive, especially if its a premium :D. Not saying I don't pay attention to the road though.

Wow. Am I the only one that uses the zoomed out view, where you see the whole car? I just like looking at the car while I drive, especially if its a premium :D. Not saying I don't pay attention to the road though.

+1 👍 !!

Nope you are not the only one, i am right up there with you... up in the helicopter chase view ;)

I love it!!! I love looking at the car and all around me... helps me position the car easier (personally)

On the subject: Cockpit is not overated... we dont have enough of those...
when i drive with the wheel, it's the best set up...

But since i still play most of the time (90%) with the DS controller, i exclusively play with the 'hinds the car view ;)
(i am still old school)

So you are not alone Honda ;)

I freaking hate the camera shake, it was better when it did not exist in gt5p
And that's why i stay away from Shi(f)t (hiding now :P)

but in this case, and to compensate, i shake my head when it breaks so it takes out the visuals vibs. :P LOL
j/k.

+1 👍 !!

Nope you are not the only one, i am right up there with you... up in the helicopter chase view ;)

I love it!!! I love looking at the car and all around me... helps me position the car easier (personally)

On the subject: Cockpit is not overated... we dont have enough of those...
when i drive with the wheel, it's the best set up...

But since i still play most of the time (90%) with the DS controller, i exclusively play with the 'hinds the car view ;)
(i am still old school)

So you are not alone Honda ;)

And that's why i stay away from Shi(f)t (hiding now :P)

but in this case, and to compensate, i shake my head when it breaks so it takes out the visuals vibs. :P LOL
j/k.

Thank goodness, I felt like a sore thumb lol:grumpy:

I have to laugh at all the "real hardcore racers" who claim "I use bumpercam to set fast lap times" because as they (and the OP) say "The cockpit view gets in my way and I cant see everything".

Well, I am guessing you are neither a "hardcore racer" nor you have you ever set foot ina real car - street or race version.

The A pillars do get in the way, there are all sorts of obstacles and intrusions, there is poor rearward visibility, there are refective surfaces in the way, you cant really tell where the corners of the car are pther thanby instinct and experience.

In short, driving a car is full of all sorts of obstructions and imperfections that only contribute to the impact on lap times etc.

BTW, how "real' do you think the physics really is if you are driving a car from a view point ahead of the steering axle? Your pivot point, edge perception and total view advantage should disqualify all your times :lol:

If all you are after is "fastest laptime" why even bother playing the game - just get a TRON-like game andtry "go quick" - it wouldnt really matter what "car' you where piloting anyway, as the unique nature of the cockpit, the view the blindspots etc is totally lost on you if every car has the exact same perfect 12' above the road surface 3 feet ahead of the front axle view.

You answered your very own quesiton with the statement 'but at the end of the day the driving matters and I bet NO ONE can drive better from the cockpit view when comparing to the bumper view."

Interesting - does this not in fact PROVE that the "fake unreal bumpercam" is a totally unnatural and arbitrary advantage?

:)

Actually, the "shaking and bouncing" is 100% spot on in the absence of a full simulator chassis.

Whil eyou and others may think that because your eyes and head compensate in "real life' the view is exagerated, if youhave ever been behind the wheel of a 600bhp car that is gaining traction and pulling ahead at a rate of knots youwould understand that while you eyes do compensate for the motion and your head and neck do naturally brace yourselves, the entire experience is still immense and the car pulling one way or the other combined with the G-forces on your arms and your body moving and the whole event the ability to quickly process what is going on, manage the controls and get the "job of controlling the car' done is still a very large challenge requiring concentraiton and effort.

If the view was not shaking and requiring your to hold the wheel and concentrate on the events unfolding (manhanding a ZR1 RM through the Cork Screw) exactly how much of a "real-like challenge" would it be if you could one hand the event while reachign for your milk and cheetohs and glancing at the World Cup on the telly next to you?

High speed driving is NOT a simple or stressfree task.

:)

The thread almost should be ended here. :) 👍

Positioning-wise the inside cockpit view would only make sense in theory if you could bring the TV 20 cm from your eyes and your actual steering wheel behind the tv!!! This way you would see the driver's arms without seeing yours.

Yes the dials and the cockpit details and the bell & whistles are nice (and many prefer to see all this stuff), but at the end of the day the driving matters and I bet NO ONE can drive better from the cockpit view when comparing to the bumper view.

I have a computer monitor just in front of my wheel for this exact purpose. I'm faster with the interior view as I feel more at home, even in standard cockpits I feel more comfortable and thus, faster.

Also you seem to misunderstand, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're going to flame you for it, any regular on this site knows that..

I'll also add that you're never "the only one"

Tried hard to like it but I keep going back to the much more useful bumper view.

So I cannot understand all the premium/standard, cockpit/no cockpit, HUD/no HUD discussions.

Let me explain:

"theoretically" your cockpit is your own steering wheel and the chair in your living room (or whatever place you are), and your TV is like the windscreen.
If we agree to this then you do not need to see the cockpit of the car in game as well. This would be like looking inside the cockpit through another cockpit..

You're absolutely right. The cockpit view, unless your using a head-mounted display to cover 100% of your vision, is double vision. Not only is it double vision, but it doesn't make any sense when you're using a controller and you see the steering wheel inside the car on the TV. And, like many have said, you can't see jack:censored: outside, where its probably the opposite in real life since the you can adjust your point of view moving around your head in your seat in real life. Either way, the only thing I didn't like about interiors in older games was that you could only see a silhouette of the driver and the interior and that was just in GT3/4, which I had no problem of, but I at least want to see SOMETHING inside when I'm watching a replay, taking photos or looking at a nearby driver racing with bumper view.
So, basically, since you already have the steering wheel in front of you, you're sitting away from the TV at times, all the details in a cockpit are hard to see even in 3D and the view is blocked like HELL, unless your using a head-mounted display and there's actually a tachometer of sorts, forget it. Bumper or hood view FTW and FL (For Life). FINALLY that answers some questions of my anguish and lack of enjoyment in GT5 (I play with a controller).

Last edited:
Bah, cockpit view is great. Form > function. If you're only interested in racing then I suppose bumper cam is better, but for casual diving there's nothing like the cockpit view.

If I agreed on that, then I would also agree that I have a bookshelf instead of rear-view mirrors and a piano in my passenger seat. Kinda odd if you ask me.

I don't have any double vision problems with driving in cockpit view, not in theory nor in practice. I can't honestly see how anyone would have such problems.

For me, the cockpit view is little more than a novelty -- it interesting and "cool." It is not particularly effective for producing fast, clean laps against other drivers, but a person can get used to (and comfortable with) anything, so some drivers are able to drive very well in cockpit view.

If someone wants a better view of the road/track ahead, nothing beats chase view.
Plus it lets you look at your car's beautiful backside (and frontside with the rear view button).
My favorite view by far.

I made the change to cockpit view over a year ago and found it took a little while to get used to but now I wouldn't use anything else. It's more realistic and immersive, especially with a wheel. I also really like the standard models in that mode too even if it is just a black cutout cockpit. It makes you feel part of the car and it's movement in relation to the track and surroundings. I do wish the rear view mirror was visible all the time though. Some cars have it badly placed so that half of it is onscreen and the other half you have to look right or left. That would be the one change I would make for it.

For the first time. I did a lap of the Ring last night without anything showing on the screen at all other than the view through the windscreen and it was fantastic (and a good test as to whether I'd learned the damn track yet).

I love the in-car view but for some cars with intrusive pillars like the 908 HDI, it just serves as a hindrance. I can't see anything on the right side!

Indeed. It wasn't even really revived with good reason =/ I should of picked up on it sooner

Yeah, on oldie all right. I like to use cockpit view with no HUD for all offline driving. Standards I'll use minimal HUD. No aids. Makes for a much more immersive experience. Online, generally bumper view with full HUD. ABS 1 only. I'm faster and more consistent but sure don't enjoy driving as much in anything but cockpit.

Like John mentioned above, driving the 'Ring with all HUD off/cockpit view is awesome. Night/day cycle is wonderful, my favorite way to unwind and just be in the moment in GT5.

Let me explain:

What an old post. I agree 100%

"oh I use cockpit view for more realism" said the 10 year old = pure rubbish

Give us side view mirrors in the bumper cam view - see my signature AND VOTE!!!

I use cockpit view all the time, bar for competitive online races in the rain because I can't see anything on my small TV with water all over the screen.

Visibility isn't everything, I find that bumper cam gives too much visibility and distracts my focus, it's also way too low for my tastes, hence why I use cockpit/bonnet cam. Cockpit view gives you a smaller sight picture, but only shows the important bits of the track, that helps me keep my focus on the track. 👍

I don't see what it matters - how old the post is, or if the game or dumb :censored:es opinions haven't changed.

The fact remains you do not have good situational awareness in cockpit view, unless you have a three monitor display.

How many of you do? (rhetorical question)

That is what I thought.

Get your bumper view on - and pressure PD to add side view mirrors - again, see my signature!!!

I don't see what it matters - how old the post is, or if the game or dumb :censored:es opinions haven't changed.

The factMy opinion remains you do not have good situational awareness in cockpit view, unless you have a three monitor display.

How many of you do? (rhetorical question)

That is what I thought.

Get your bumper view on - and pressure PD to add side view mirrors - again, see my signature!!!

Fixed for accuracy. That's your opinion. Many like myself drive in cockpit view (for reasons stated above ^^) as that's what we do best with and enjoy the most. Calling people "dumb :censored:es" because they don't share your opinion :rolleyes:.

My situational awareness is fine in cockpit view. If you set it so you can look left and right and set your map to be fairly zoomed in there's no reason not to notice someone.

Situational awareness is more to do with paying attention to how far behind the car behind you is. If you've been keeping an eye on him/her (good situational awareness) you'll be more than aware of exactly where they are in relation to you.

Amar212 and Chrunch Houston are both correct, its feel and awareness though I see the potential of using the in car view. Now for VR drivers that have real world racing experience using the in car view for the first time will find it a little odd at first but get the hang of it after a few hours. Though for the VR that have been using in car view since Indy 500, TOCA, and other’s transferring to the in car view will be a cake walk. For the new comers to the in car view it will take some time getting the feel and awareness of using the in car view pending on the size of the screen and what you are using to hear what’s around you.

I have real world racing experience and the number one thing any driver will tell you the best way to be aware besides sight is what you hear. Now if you’re using an open area and your limited to high you can turn the volume up so you can hear the other cars around then the in car view is not the best way to go. If you have a pair of surround sound headset sets and not wearing hearing adds then your one step at getting the hang of the in car view. If you able to hear what’s going and still pay attention to the track condition then you’ll be picking up time to your bumper runs. Though it may take some time pending on the size and what type of screen you’re using. I have found screens from 20’ to 28’ on a budget, 32’ to 37’ single or triple screen with no worries, 42’ or higher you might as well try to jump into the bloody screen. Pending on the size of the screen you want it 3 ½ to 4 feet away from you at a level plain from your center sitting position. If you’re planning to buy a rig the best screen size will be 32’ to 37’.

One of the most important thing about the in car view besides being aware is picking your markers. This is the MOST important key into becoming a well round VR in car view driver. Each view in any car is different pending on brand and model. Every in car view will have their advantages and disadvantages, so it best to say with car until you get comfortable with it and you feel that you’re ready to move on to another in car view. If you are ready for another view one of the strongest thing I can suggest is to take a pace lap around which ever track you’re planning to drive so you can see where your markers are and how they come into view in the in car view. When you get an idea where they may come up at then up your pace, if you have trouble picking them up then slow down and try again to pick up the markers and pick up speed. Once you get the markers down and pick up speed your turn in points will come with easy to pick up.

The number two most important thing to do is not go back to the bumper view if you plan on mastering the in car view. If you do it will be even harder to transitions to the in car view and your time will suffer greatly. When I mean greatly I mean greatly, a lost from 6 to 18 seconds pending on driver and the set of their car, though if you keep at it you’ll be matching or beating your times on the bumper.

Back