Codemasters gets 2009 F1 licence. What does this mean for GT5?

• Thread starter igor76
  • 22 comments
GTP_igor
Will Codemasters' new exclusive licence for the 2009 F1 season affect the F1 cars we will see in GT5? What should we expect?

Codemasters has the license to the FIA Formula 1 Championship. Not necessarily to the cars. So GT5 can still feature real F1 cars ......just not a FIA Formula 1 championship.

If that is correct, then we can still have Formula GT series, with real F1 cars. But the problem is...are you sure the Codemasters license only encompass the Championship and does not include the exclusivity of the tracks, cars, and drivers? I would think FIA would sell all that as a package.

FIA can't sell the rights to the cars because they do not own them. The teams own the cars, and thus the ability to sell the rights to them. All the teams must come to an agreement to have their cars included in a real-life F1 game. Polyphony could easily make a series in GT5 that involves historic F1 cars, or is simply an F1 series on real-life circuits that do not appear on the F1 calendar, though I do believe there would be some kind of restriction on that.

No, when it comes to F1 the cars are licensed to the F1 rights. That's why you'll never see an official F1 game that doesn't have all the cars and tracks from the official season. They are all grouped together when you own the FIA F1 license, though obviousely the tracks can't be licensed exclusively since they are associated with much more than F1, the cars arn't so they can be licenced exclusively by the FIA. I think cars that never raced are free to be used as the manufacturer wishes, I don't know about cars that have raced but don't anymore, what deals have to be done to get them, but cars currently racing in F1 are a big no go for anyone but the official F1 license holders, unless Bernie and his legal team allow otherwise.

I'm pretty sure the license only covers one season at a time, whether it be a current season or a previous season (see F1:CE). Basically, they will have the license for whichever season they are producing the game for. We can tell because Race Driver 3 had I believe the 2004 Williams BMW, with accurate livery.

I believe that the Teams/Maufacturers hold the rights to the cars. BMW F1 cars have featured prominently in games such as Live For Speed and Race Driver 3 - all with accurate livery and are officially part ofthe game as well! And look, PD managed to get the F2007 onto their game when technically (i believe) nobody owned the licence to F1, thus Ferrari most likely gave them the rights to produce the car in the game.

F1 licence should encompass:
Tracks
Cars + liveries
Use of FIA and F1 logos
Drivers + driver likeness + team affiliation (hence why rosters could not be changed in the F1 series on PS2 and F1:CE on PS3)

However, like I said earlier, cars should not be bound exclusively to the licence.

Not all the cars are exclusively bound to the F1 license, but they are bound to the FIA. The manufacturers don't and can't license currently competing cars out, the FIA do. Part of registering a car to compete in F1 invloves the cars image and licensing being handed to the FIA. I don't know how long the license lasts for, but that's how I've read it works. There are loop holes ofcourse, cars that never raced and were never registered to compete for example are still 100% property of the manufacturers. As an example, take the BMW F1 car that has appeared in Race Driver and Live For Speed, I don't know the specifics but if that was a car that was never registered then there's no need for an agreement with the FIA over it. If it was, then there would have to have been an agreement in place between the games producers and the FIA and BMW and at the same time no exclusive F1 license handed out for whichever season the car came from. If Codemasters have been handed a fully exclusive license then that would prevent the official cars from the season they've licensed form being used anywhere else.

Isn't PD going to concentrate on a F1 sim? If so, I think that GT5 will be the last GT in the GT series. There will be no GT6. PD will have to concentrate on this new F1 sim.

There will be regular updates to improve GT5 over the years but there will be no GT6. That's how I see it.

PD don't have any F1 season license, Codemasters do. Sony did but that was a one game only deal and they came out with F1:CE.

Isn't PD going to concentrate on a F1 sim? If so, I think that GT5 will be the last GT in the GT series. There will be no GT6. PD will have to concentrate on this new F1 sim.

There will be regular updates to improve GT5 over the years but there will be no GT6. That's how I see it.
I sure as hell hope not!

One thing that is for sure, is that the production of the F1 codemaster, wont be as delicious as anything going on in GT5, if i understand Codemasters way of thinking, they are totally into the Engine, they have used for Dirt and Grid, so it might as well be the same engine they will use for the F1, and also with the Way they have made the Race games, Included Grid, then F1 wont be match for GT5 in any ways..

Grid is fun, and I buy it for that reason... GT is Driving for the real spirit, and that makes GT5 for me, the ultimate race driver....

Flagmo-T..

Not all the cars are exclusively bound to the F1 license, but they are bound to the FIA. The manufacturers don't and can't license currently competing cars out, the FIA do. Part of registering a car to compete in F1 invloves the cars image and licensing being handed to the FIA. I don't know how long the license lasts for, but that's how I've read it works. There are loop holes ofcourse, cars that never raced and were never registered to compete for example are still 100% property of the manufacturers. As an example, take the BMW F1 car that has appeared in Race Driver and Live For Speed, I don't know the specifics but if that was a car that was never registered then there's no need for an agreement with the FIA over it. If it was, then there would have to have been an agreement in place between the games producers and the FIA and BMW and at the same time no exclusive F1 license handed out for whichever season the car came from. If Codemasters have been handed a fully exclusive license then that would prevent the official cars from the season they've licensed form being used anywhere else.

You are wrong there. The FIA does not own the rights to nun of it. All the FIA do is let them use the name and the rules. And the cars and teams can be in any game they like as they and they only hold the rights to them.
I do wish people would look stuff up before posting silly lies.

Then post the proof to back up what your saying. As I said, from what I've read any deals to use certain things that represent F1 ie the names, brand and cars has to be done through Bernies people as well as any other parties that you would need to involve legally. For example, you would not be allowed to go to Honda and ask if you can use thier currently competing car without permission from the F1 as well.

If you were allowed to do that then why have no games featured real F1 cars other than official F1 games. Sure you can talk about Live For Speed and Race Driver 3 all you want, but they both have the BMW car and I don't know if the particular car they licensed was a competing car or not or if they did get other approval, GT5:P is so far the only other game that comes to mind with a licensed F1 car beyond the F1 games and again the specifics of the deal arn't known. But I think there are reasons that the GT games of the past have used fantasy cars beyond they simply couldn't be bothered getting the licenses needed. Since you appear to know it all, why not divulge the full facts and set the record straight, I'd happily accept your right if you did.

Then post the proof to back up what your saying.

Yes, P3DGpitstop25, please bring some evidence before you completely throw out Dave A's logical answer, and ridiculing it.

PD don't have any F1 season license, Codemasters do. Sony did but that was a one game only deal and they came out with F1:CE.

It was more than one-off, there were more PS2 version previously.

Then post the proof to back up what your saying. As I said, from what I've read any deals to use certain things that represent F1 ie the names, brand and cars has to be done through Bernies people as well as any other parties that you would need to involve legally. For example, you would not be allowed to go to Honda and ask if you can use thier currently competing car without permission from the F1 as well.

If you were allowed to do that then why have no games featured real F1 cars other than official F1 games. Sure you can talk about Live For Speed and Race Driver 3 all you want, but they both have the BMW car and I don't know if the particular car they licensed was a competing car or not or if they did get other approval, GT5:P is so far the only other game that comes to mind with a licensed F1 car beyond the F1 games and again the specifics of the deal arn't known. But I think there are reasons that the GT games of the past have used fantasy cars beyond they simply couldn't be bothered getting the licenses needed. Since you appear to know it all, why not divulge the full facts and set the record straight, I'd happily accept your right if you did.

Well, SimBin/10tacle is developing a new Ferrari sim that features a Ferrari F1. However, the deal Ferrari worked out with PD is probably the same with SimBin regarding the F1 car.

If PD were going to make an F1 sim, it would be better if they concentrated on the mid-late 1980's to early 90's(being Japanese and all). They loved that era, when Japanese engines were the best and their Brazillian semi-god Ayrton Senna was ruling.
Those were truly the 'golden days' of F1.

Kazunori Yamauchi
The F2007 is currently I think the most precise simulation of an F1 car in existence, and I think it's something that everyone should try out. We've had to implement a lot of new physics into the game, and a lot of mechanisms that we had left out before that we had to add to simulate the car properly, and it's something we're looking forward to having everyone experience. As for F1, of course we've always wanted to add more F1 cars, and to make an F1 game, but we haven't made any movement to acquiring the license, so there's no set timeline for it yet, but it's something we're looking at.”
Link: http://www.consolegaming.eu/feature.php?id=20

I would think that they only would be able to access the 2007 cars and more specifically from manufacterers like Renault, Toyota or Honda. Teams like Williams, or Toro Rosso might be more difficult to obtain since they aren't independent like the three aformentioned Car makers, though Super Aguri F1 might be possible since they are no longer competing.

The last official Formula One game was released over a year ago and it looks like Sony’s Formula One Championship edition for Playstation 3 will have to wait a little longer to get a successor.

According to the TG Daily website, talks between Sony and Bernie Ecclestone over renewing their license have come to a halt. The biggest reason is obviously the price tag as Sony paid 200 million dollars for the past license which covered five seasons.

According to TG Daily, Sony is not willing to spend that amount of cash again, a reasonable decision considering that Sony is not in the most healthiest of financial states and the Playstation 3 is still somewhat struggling against Microsoft’s XBOX 360. Furthermore, Formula One games have never made a big impact on the US market which is very important for console games.

Sony’s hesitation brings up interest from other companies as EA, Ubisoft and Codemasters are all looking to get a piece of the F1 cake. The question is, are the rights really worth that much? The new contract will again cover a span of five years, putting quite some pressure of the (un)lucky company that gets the license. To compensate the 200 million investment, you pretty much have to put out a game each year…and that has never been a quality-raising method in the past.

interesting....

Back