Codemasters Race Driver Grid

• Thread starter KinLM
  • 125 comments
I may just try to work on clearing the only other European race series I haven't yet got a Gold for- the Formula 3 European series. I still have loads of work to do to bump up my Japanese region reputation.

I find the F3 to be a pain in the rear. One wrong twitch of the finger and you end up in the wall.

I think I'm up to about season 12 now, I finished the top tier events and I'm going back through and clearing the backlog so that I can get the rest of the Ravenwest head to heads.

Well done John. I believe you have seen the 4th tier events at this point, and if I remember correctly are some of the most rewarding events in the game, with LeMans mixed in there somewhere. Not so much monetarily but in effort and racing, of course money at this point is just so much lettuce. Frustrating to get through, intense at all times, but it just feels so good to win them. Then there's the Ravenwest challenge...I won't tell what it is but I can recall most details four years on. Elation from winning, Numbness from being in a vacuum during the race, and many cramps from many muscles due to full-on tensing, possibly one of the few times my controller has creaked in mercy due to intensity and not anger.

Early in the J-Speed ranks I believe lean on drifting with some touge. Later on you will want to excel at touge, even in circuit events. Trust me, there's a monster in the ranks.

Good and bad news.

I bought myself the Audi R10 TDI to compete in Le Mans and the LMP1 portion of the Endurance races. A few personal bests were set. First off, I went over 250 mph in this crazy fast car. I led Le Mans at any point of the race. I later completed my first lap as leader of Le Mans. So what's the bad news? I had the lead of the race with only a few seconds left... until I threw my car off the road heading into the Porsche Curves, leaving my teammate to win Le Mans. I was still okay with 2nd and my team banking some mad money. Next time Le Mans come around, I win that sucker and knock off a BIG goal on my bucket list of GRID accomplishments.

Other highlights was that I reached the second tier of Japan races as well as unlocking the Global events. I actually kind of wanted to buy the Courage LC70 instead of the Audi R10 TDI to challenge myself and not sell out to Audi. But since I had the money and wanted the best chance to win, I got myself the Audi R10 TDI.

Win the 24 in the Audi, then again in the Courage. From my experience, the ultimate challenge at the 24 is winning the GT1 class...in the S7.

Win the 24 in the Audi, then again in the Courage. From my experience, the ultimate challenge at the 24 is winning the GT1 class...in the S7.
Why? Is the Saleen S7 bad at LeMans? Only did the GT1 class twice when I last played GRID, once in a C5-R and once in a C6.R, finished 2nd in the C5 and won in the C6.

Why? Is the Saleen S7 bad at LeMans? Only did the GT1 class twice when I last played GRID, once in a C5-R and once in a C6.R, finished 2nd in the C5 and won in the C6.
In short, yes. In long, even on the easiest difficulty, the S7 struggles to keep GT1 pace. I've won in the C5R, C6R, and Lambo, I can't recall even making the podium in the S7.

That's an amazing deal. I picked it up at a previous sale, I think it was £2.99, and is an amazing game for that price.

So I have just found a way to play this online despite everything official being down (PC).

..am I the only one who would kinda want to do a race or two, just for the heck of it?

Well, it does take a slight moment to do all the initial setting up and things, but once that's done it's a matter of pressing a handful of buttons and boom, Grid Online.

No big surprise, it's a third-party service. The only one I have thus far is GameRanger, which.. well, I guess it works like any similar software - register, host a room, people join, you tell it to start the game and before you know it you're setting up the lobby ingame.

I figured it was better to revive this than to start a new thread or continue in the by-now-outdated thread about it being available for free. And it sort fits better here, I'd say.

I was sort of brought back to this because of the above. Not that I really needed it, seeing as I already had the disc, but that's another story.

Either way, I decided to investigate one of the biggest curiosities I have with this game: why is Race Day mode limiting you to 12 cars on the track, when they're clearly capable of 20?

To make a long story short, I've cracked the code, which was surprisingly easy, to the point I'm amazed there wasn't already a mod for this that doesn't also mess with the class system. ACAT is good and all, but what if all you really want is more cars in the race?

TL;DR put this file in your Grid\database folder and enjoy having 19 ai drivers to race against. Still looking into what can be done to give as varied a grid as possible.

To prove it works, and to show off the game some more, here's some touring car action from Donington Park. I tried to keep it as clean and "real" as possible, but I may have gotten a little carried away at times. Great fun and great racing, though. Framerate issues are a combination of my chosen recording software being not too efficient and the hardware being.. shall we say "less than modern"?

If it is possible to make it so there are 19 AI cars on the track on race day, would it also be possible to make the 911 purchasable for yourself, as well allowing it to be used in the events that have 911s as opponents?
Or is there already a mod like that and i'm blind? Without any other overhauls in the game, that is.

Last edited:
Still looking into what can be done to give as varied a grid as possible.
The reason why the grid in Race Day mode is so... stale... um, that's because the AI drivers it calls up for are always the same, and also because none of the drivers in Race Day mode actually race in those cars in Career. In the Touring Car example, the Honda is being called up as the "placeholder"/"loaner" car for them.

If it is possible to make it so there are 19 AI cars on the track on race day, would it also be possible to make the 911 purchaseable for yourself, as well allowing it to be used in the events that have 911s as opponents?
Or is there already a mod like that and i'm blind?

I'm pretty sure ACAT (Any Car Any Track) allows you to purchase the 911 in GT2 events in career mode.

The reason why the grid in Race Day mode is so... stale... um, that's because the AI drivers it calls up for are always the same, and also because none of the drivers in Race Day mode actually race in those cars in Career. In the Touring Car example, the Honda is being called up as the "placeholder"/"loaner" car for them.

I do agree the Honda seems to be a placeholder of sorts, but I'm not convinced about the rest.

Take a driver like, say, Gianni Marcello, touring car driver for Victor Rossi, running the BMW. If I run a GT1 race, it'd make sense that they'd be in the 575, because the team they are linked to doesn't have a car in that class. In touring cars, you'd expect them to use their correct BMW, but they're not. They're using the Honda, while Andy Cook, Club GT driver for MTG Motoracing, takes Giannis place in a BMW with Victor Rossi livery.

Looking into the games database, I believed it could have something to do with the teams that are "called" for in the various event types. So, seeing as I had also put the Ravenwest drivers in as Race Day drivers, I tried to put their team in for touring cars, in which they'd also use the BMW. No difference what so ever. Besides, the team IDs I could find as being "linked" to touring cars are two dead ends and, and it would inevitably be these guys, JLOC.

I have no idea how any of this makes sense.

I'm pretty sure ACAT (Any Car Any Track) allows you to purchase the 911 in GT2 events in career mode.
So it does. However, it also seems to alter a few other non-GT2 events, such as the Saleen event now being a Murcielago-Corvette Event, while the Prestige Koenigsegg seemingly can't be used in the Prestige events, all the while restricting the choice of cars in drift events, along with making the ARL PRO Open Wheel event allow a "few" more cars than it really should, with seemingly a "few" more tracks than it really should. :lol:
Although, i do like that the Destruction Derby event also allows the Mustang and the Cuda in it as well.

God I love it when I find a tool that allows me to dissect classic racing games and reveal their inner secrets.

So I took a look at how everything works, and while I haven't yet found a solution to the problem of too many Hondas, I did find what I think are some interesting things. Not sure how many of these are already available on the interwebz, how many of you have already looked inside Grid or how interesting it actually is, but here's what I've found the most interesting. I'll try to avoid any ones that are too obvious, such as the F430 and 550 being cut.

First up: who here knew Fuji was apparently meant to appear?

upload_2017-1-8_22-2-17.png

That seems to be the only reference to it. There's also a reference to a "test_track", (possibly) referred to elsewhere as "freerace".. was there meant to be a full testing ground, possibly full setup tuning, just because that would give more reason for a special test track? Or maybe, just maybe, it's a different Test Track? I mean, it's apparently located in UK..

upload_2017-1-8_22-9-14.png

I'll also just note at this point that each and every track seemingly can be changed to use drift physics, force lights on or even change time of day? I say seemingly, it doesn't work from what I've tested, which is sort of a bummer. Oh well, night racing on Milano with GT1 cars will have to stay a GTR2 thing.

Apparently, you were also meant to be able to select one of three different race distances for pretty much every event in the career, until that was apparently scrapped.

There's more interesting things to see in the images below, such as how the game determines which tracks to use for a specific series. In the first image, under the "event_id" column, a value of "1" refers to the Bay Bridge Trophy (see image 3). "network_bias" is simply how likely a track is to be included ("track_model_id" 14 refers to the San Francisco Grand Prix circuit - see image 4. The number of races in a series is determined elsewhere - see image 2), "num_laps" is effectively the replacement for the aforementioned scalable race distance, "order_index", I assume, is the order in which the tracks would appear.. and your grid spot in each event is scripted as well, though that shouldn't be a surprise, partly given previous Codemasters history, partly because you'd figure that out yourself by playing a series back to back.

upload_2017-1-8_22-20-36.png

upload_2017-1-8_22-37-50.png

upload_2017-1-8_22-31-33.png

I'm not quite sure what "f3_24hour" is about, but I approve of the idea regardless
upload_2017-1-8_22-34-55.png

Last for now, it would seem they wanted to bring the 550 back with the final DLC, much like they did with the F430. It's line in this particular database file is far more detailed than the others, but I doubt it actually works.

upload_2017-1-8_22-45-48.png

I "might" have found a way to bring DLC cars to career mode. It will involve quite a bit of messing about with these files, but I'm definitely going to investigate. I'll probably mess about with the tracks used in career events as well. Sort-of two-race weekends in touring cars, longer races in prototypes/gt/endurance, have the global F3 series run in all locations (including Bathurst) etc. That sort of shenanigans.

"test_track"
That may be a developer test track, similar to Underground 1's Tech Park and Test Track. You can try activating it via offset and hex editings to see if the track exists, while replacing the existing ones.

Also, that's one interesting program.

That may be a developer test track, similar to Underground 1's Tech Park and Test Track.

That is true and would explain a lot of things. The theorising part of my brain just kicked in. Either way, it doesn't appear to work, or maybe it needs to be done another way.

I have also found traces of that "f3_24hour" thing elsewhere in the database, in a section I suspect is related to Driver Offers events. It references the 787B as default vehicle, which would seem to indicate it being a Driver Offer of some sort. Timed as well. Not sure if this was cut as well (the more I think about, the more likely it seems that entire section was scrapped), but I'm curious as to how it would work.

Last edited:
Always love it when people go digging in old games files and find out new stuff :D Good work 👍

IIRC the Ferrari 575 GTC was in one of the DLC packs. Maybe that's the replacement for the 550?

IIRC the Ferrari 575 GTC was in one of the DLC packs. Maybe that's the replacement for the 550?

That is true, and could well be the case. There isn't a huge visual difference between them, so they could be using a modified version of the original model and just not bothered to change the text. That's the impression I'm getting thus far.

I had a quick look into the whole DLC-cars-in-career thing. It's apparently a bit more complicated than I expected, but I want to believe it's possible.

Edit because I figured it was too early to double-post:

I haven't yet found a solution to the Hondas, nor have I managed to get the DLC cars to work.. but there is a surprising amount of Bathurst currently present in my Bridgestone Challenge:

20170109141221_1.jpg

Location doesn't show up right (which I am looking into), but guess what?

IT WORKS

20170109141447_1.jpg
20170109141530_1.jpg

Shenanigans ahoy, mateys!

Last edited:
So I've been looking a little more into all this.

It seems I was wrong about the whole f3_24h thing. It's just the Virgin Mobile Endurance Classic, and given what I know now, I'm amazed that didn't click earlier. Not sure why it's called f3 in the game files, but whatever floats Codies' boat.

I still cannot get Bathursts location to show up correctly, and porting DLC cars to the career seems to do nothing but break the game (and believe me, I've tried just about anything), but I have managed to make all sponsors pay the same amount of money and require you to just finish the race, which.. well it gives you the freedom to use literally whatever sponsor you want and still get maximum money in any scenario that doesn't involve retiring. And it has the handy side effect of sorting them alphabetically. I recommend you only use that one after you've completed the game.

As for other plans, I'm not sure much else can be done but mess about with the tracks used in various events. That can be good enough fun, though. I still want the Global events to ideally have one race in each location, which'll be fun. Even more so if the length of the races are increased, or pseudo-double races are introduced for the touring cars.

Sooooo because just about everything else I try to spend time on these days crashes, I've gone back to messing about with this. More specifically, I've made Brembo World GT the international GT1 series it always wanted to be.
  • For starters, I've managed to cram 18 total cars into each race. For some reason, whenever I raise the numbers above that point, the game crashes. That issue will be investigated as will the issue of one team always starting at the back.
  • Having more than 12 cars also means the track pool needed a revamp, shifting not only to tracks generally more suitable for 18 cars (such as having that many grid spots), but generally towards more GP-style circuits as well. The TL;DR is that Spa will always feature and other proper GP circuits have a higher chance of featuring than street circuits (of which there is only Long Beach). So yes, you can come across La Sarthe in this now.
  • On the subject of tracks, the race length has been tampered with as well. Whereas before you could probably do the whole series in 20-25 minutes, each race is now expected to last about 10 minutes, so a full series is somewhere in the 50s with loading times.
  • In theory, your grid position should be anywhere between first and last. I tend to get put in the latter half, but that could just be luck of the draw.
I have done a test run, and was actually recording that, but that's about as laggy as can be and useless in every single way. What I can say, though, is that a six lap race on Okutama, on "Extreme" difficulty, starting right in the middle of an 18-car big GT1 race, with everyone racing for championship points, is top kek banter. Never have I seen a bigger collection of scrap metal that wasn't caused by cheats than going past that section just after the dam on the final lap.

Also of interesting note is that the Ravenwest cars are actually referred to by their database entry as "hero cars".

Last edited:
Sooooo because just about everything else I try to spend time on these days crashes, I've gone back to messing about with this. More specifically, I've made Brembo World GT the international GT1 series it always wanted to be.
  • For starters, I've managed to cram 18 total cars into each race. For some reason, whenever I raise the numbers above that point, the game crashes. That issue will be investigated as will the issue of one team always starting at the back.
  • Having more than 12 cars also means the track pool needed a revamp, shifting not only to tracks generally more suitable for 18 cars (such as having that many grid spots), but generally towards more GP-style circuits as well. The TL;DR is that Spa will always feature and other proper GP circuits have a higher chance of featuring than street circuits (of which there is only Long Beach). So yes, you can come across La Sarthe in this now.
  • On the subject of tracks, the race length has been tampered with as well. Whereas before you could probably do the whole series in 20-25 minutes, each race is now expected to last about 10 minutes, so a full series is somewhere in the 50s with loading times.
  • In theory, your grid position should be anywhere between first and last. I tend to get put in the latter half, but that could just be luck of the draw.
I have done a test run, and was actually recording that, but that's about as laggy as can be and useless in every single way. What I can say, though, is that a six lap race on Okutama, on "Extreme" difficulty, starting right in the middle of an 18-car big GT1 race, with everyone racing for championship points, is top kek banter. Never have I seen a bigger collection of scrap metal that wasn't caused by cheats than going past that section just after the dam on the final lap.

Also of interesting note is that the Ravenwest cars are actually referred to by their database entry as "hero cars".
I'd love to try that out one of these days. It sounds fun with all the carnage the AI themselves get into. It almost reminds me of the derby races in Grid 1 oh man those were fun.

I'm beginning to get a better understanding of how everything works in this. It's no news that your team mate can change who appears on the grid and your numbers may change the numbers of the other racers, but getting just a glimpse into the mechanics behind it - mighty impressive and something many current racers could learn from.

Yep, the grid literally changes depending on who you have as team mate. The way I gather it works is this:

Each series has a certain number of entries coded in. As an example, the Bridgestone Challenge has 12.

But wouldn't that mean a grid of 14 cars, I hear you ask?

NOPE.

Anyone who paid attention while racing without a team mate will probably not be surprised to hear you're actually replacing one of those teams. Which one you replace seems to depend on your team mate.

I haven't properly tested this, but this is how I think it goes:

Some teams have more than two driver names attached to them. Amber Bridge, for instance, has a grand total of 4.

If you were to hire eg. Cooper as your team mate, Amber Bridge would simply field another one of their drivers (again, mighty impressive on a technological level - the game can actually think for itself).

If, however, you were to hire a driver from a team with only two drivers at their disposal (e.g. Braunstone Motorsport - John Gary/Greg Strand) and race in a series they're usually in, you take their place and every other team is back to their two "scripted" drivers.

Not sure how the game decides which team is replaced when your team mate doesn't belong to any of the other teams.

Simple:

Each of the AI liveries has a "number_on_livery" string attached to them, which is the number used by the first car in that team. If there's a number conflict, though, they're capable of moving up until there is none.

And before anyone asks, each category is already set up to not have any conflicts among the AI.

And yes, I've been messing about with the touring cars as well now. 20 cars, bigger tracks, slightly longer (~5-6 minutes) races and all that jazz. The game gets a little confused when running more than one modified series, though, so I've had to split it up.

For anyone who wants to try them out, here's the one for the touring cars and here's the one for the GT1s. In addition to the redone versions of their respective Global series, you get 20 cars in Race Day (- Bathurst as that's a separate file), all races for the LMS career events (they were once in correct 2006 order) and extra friendly sponsors. Copy them to your Grid/database folder, make a backup of database.bin and rename either of these to database.bin instead.

So I've decided to revisit GRID and try and do some modding of the career mode. I've found a few XML files I think I should be able to edit to change things but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

I initially downloaded a mod called GRID Life, which increases likelihood of AI mechanical faults, increases race length and number of races per event, adds 20 car grids for most series and drastically increases payouts and the cost of cars (as in 1 Million plus for a Boss 302), that last one is what's making me wanting to create something similar using these XML files, although aside from Notepad++ (which I don't think even opens them properly) I don't really know how I can go about opening and editing them.

AI_Behavior_Fire - Chance of engine failure?
AI_Choreagrapher - Chance of scripted spins and crashes?
AI_Driver_Config - Similar to GTR2/rFactor Talent files?
AI_Driver_Parameter_Mappings - Which drivers show up at certain events?
AI_Vehicle_Config - Setup files for AI cars?
AI_Vehicle_Stats - Performance of AI cars?
Catchup - Rubberbanding
Drift - How much the AI can score in drift events (the mod made it so they can get 2-3 million on Extreme difficulty)
EBAY - Something about the EBAY cars?

I have no idea what anything in the database folder does

Achievements - Recording of stats in loading screens?
Demolition_Derby - How the Demo Derby events are set up?
Drift - How the drift events are set up?
EBAY - Price of EBAY cars?
Rewards - Payout for events
Rules - Settings for events?
Season_Leaderboards_Setup - Respect & cash earned for AI drivers and teams in each season?
Touge - How the touge events are set up?
Video - When the video tutorials are scheduled to play?

@rallymorten About DLC cars in GRID World, there is now a mod out there that adds them to the career although I haven't tested if it actually works properly yet.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/grid-world-dlc-car-mod

I've had a quick look into the XML files, and thus far I haven't had any luck opening them either. I'm not quite of out tricks yet, but this may require some out-of-the-box thinking.

I can, however, tell you that most of what the GRID Life mod does is something I can certainly do by manipulating the databases - what driver races for which team, what races have a chance of appearing in each championship, how much money and what criteria each sponsor has, and so on. Haven't quite found out how to do increased mechanical failures yet, but given how much else is to be found in the databases, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a classic case of trees and forests. Great fun to mess about with in general, though. Really makes you appreciate just how much has gone into this one.

@rallymorten About DLC cars in GRID World, there is now a mod out there that adds them to the career although I haven't tested if it actually works properly yet.

OK now that's just begging for me to steal whatever they're doing :lol:

I have made some progress on my end, in that I have sort of managed to get a select few of them to appear as opponents. There does seem to be a particular set of circumstances that causes a crash, and I haven't quite found out why just yet. Initially I speculated that it could be related to loading cars from different DLC packs, but I now suspect it's more a case of the game trying to load too many cars in general. I've had that happen before.

Still, it's kind of amazing when it works:

20190604170339_1.jpg 20190604170350_1.jpg 20190604171342_1.jpg 20190604171409_1.jpg
(and yes, Pedro Lamy is using the Play.Com DBR9 because I'm a sneaky l33t h4x0r like that)

I also haven't found a way of getting them into the hands of the player without the game getting significantly confused on the menus and getting stuck in an infinite loading screen upon entering an event. I'm not sure why that happens, considering the game s perfectly fine loading all standard assets and is (mostly) capable of handling DLC cars outside of that specific "build", but there we are.

I can, however, tell you that most of what the GRID Life mod does is something I can certainly do by manipulating the databases - what driver races for which team, what races have a chance of appearing in each championship, how much money and what criteria each sponsor has, and so on. Haven't quite found out how to do increased mechanical failures yet, but given how much else is to be found in the databases, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a classic case of trees and forests. Great fun to mess about with in general, though. Really makes you appreciate just how much has gone into this one.
I'd like to know what I need to look for for each of these. What I'd like to do is make an expanded GRID World with more events per series and a higher lap count, however I have no idea what to do. I have the EGO Database Editor and have the database.bin file open in it.

I have the event table open and what I'd like to do is select the tracks that are raced in each series and select a lap count (and maybe try and add some of the DLC teams if possible) but I don't know how to go about doing that. Ideally I'd like to do what you did when you added Bathurst to the Bridgestone Challenge.

Edit: I've also got the event track pool open but again I'm not sure what to change

Edit2: Going to start by doubling the lap counts for the entire track pool see if that works

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back