Codemasters Reveals Off-Road Racer ONRUSH

so they want 55 quid for a game pre order already with only a few screen shots and some poorly made trailer with no actual gameplay footage

I would say the early beta access to it all in May for pre orders only was the main pull for people putting money down. With evolution&codies behind it (Dirt/F12017 great and Drive club). Graphics must be good for a photo mode. I hope it's as good as DC/F1 photomode.

I am tempted for a pre-order early beta access but will probably wait for a few more trailers in March April first.

I was hoping for Grid 4...
That's a Codemaster's game - although the ex-Evolution team are now under that wing, this was announced straight off as being their own material and not an existing CM one.

...The publisher of this game absolutely sucks and frankly I find it embarrassing to be a publisher of only racing games and yet none of your racing games are hits and get out sold by exlcusive racers on every platform. At the very least they could at least give us clones of other hit racing franchises like Gran Turismo, nfs ext... But noooo they don't like money.
Oh, I don't know, the Colin McRae Rally series early on then more recently the DiRT series did pretty well for themselves, less so later but the first three were pretty damn popular. Grid is hailed as one of the best too. I can't really comment on the F1 series as I don't really enjoy that kind of thing but the latest seems pretty popular too, though that one has the advantage of a photo mode using the ex-Evo team's skills.

As for this one, glad that Onrush has a photo mode, though it would be odd considering that the Motorstorm titles all had that, if it didn't. It should bring up some crazy action shots though, as that's what this is all about.

Last edited:
That's a Codemaster's game - although the ex-Evolution team are now under that wing, this was announced straight off as being their own material and not an existing CM one.

Oh, I don't know, the Colin McRae Rally series early on then more recently the DiRT series did pretty well for themselves, less so later but the first three were pretty damn popular. Grid is hailed as one of the best too. I can't really comment on the F1 series as I don't really enjoy that kind of thing but the latest seems pretty popular too, though that one has the advantage of a photo mode using the ex-Evo team's skills.

As for this one, glad that Onrush has a photo mode, though it would be odd considering that the Motorstorm titles all had that. It should bring up some crazy action shots though, as that's what this is all about.

Yep I agree, I had always thought Codemasters releases were pretty much AAA titles and have been around many years with some great hits behind them in the last 20 years. The smart addition and talent of the Evolution team last year only makes them stronger going forward and they seem to be working well together from what is getting released lately.

Once Onrush is out the way, I also hope we see a new Simcade Toca/Grid/W/BTTC style game that seems to be missing on this gen. I always thought these two would be remastered way back when the PS4 was released but they never came. But it's not too late :)

The latest update to Wreckfest was huge, and made it much more polished. It feels like a really fun game now, very reminiscent of the original Flatout but obviously with better visuals.
I saw some criticism not too long back ( before console announcement ) that they had lost their way and didn't know what they wanted the game to be?

Evolution studios make an insanely good looking game in driveclub with the best graphics even after 3 years, and with just joining code masters they should want to blow everyone away. And yet they make a kids cartoon game. Probably for the best they keep it under wraps

As for this one, glad that Onrush has a photo mode, though it would be odd considering that the Motorstorm titles all had that, if it didn't. It should bring up some crazy action shots though, as that's what this is all about.
I have F1 2017 and its sooo boring. EA and Sony made the best F1 games. EA F1 game on the OG Xbox was pure gaming bliss and PS3 F1 published by Sony was pretty good too.

Not sure why people expected a spiritual successor to Driveclub. The publisher is the boss not the developer. They were forced to do this game. Sony gave them creative freedom to make what they wanted and thus Driveclub came to be. The publisher of this game absolutely sucks and frankly I find it embarrassing to be a publisher of only racing games and yet none of your racing games are hits and get out sold by exlcusive racers on every platform. At the very least they could at least give us clones of other hit racing franchises like Gran Turismo, nfs ext... But noooo they don't like money.

Surely Codies is doing something right considering they are the last man standing in what was once a proud and well known racing game development fraternity in the UK. Only them, Playground Games and SMS are left, most of the smaller studios like Bizarre Creations, Evolution and others have long since closed up shop.

Such a terrible take. The fact of the matter is, the racing game genre as a whole has contracted significantly since the end of the sixth console generation, and it really isn't coming back. The fact that Codies has managed to survive this long as a developer of solely racing games, and not be shuttered, is an achievement unto itself.

I have F1 2017 and its sooo boring. EA and Sony made the best F1 games. EA F1 game on the OG Xbox was pure gaming bliss and PS3 F1 published by Sony was pretty good too.
So, you don't like CM's F1 2017 - that's you choice, like I said, I can't really comment on those as I don't enjoy that level of racing. To say that CM suck and are embarrassing though, based on what, one game? That'd be unfair, don't you think?

Codemasters make some great racing games, it’s true their early F1 games have a lot of ****** bugs but they have improved on those.

The real embarassement is the droves of fools who keep buying every crappy NFS game because of the brand and even the worst ones outsell every other racing game bar Gran Turismo.

Codemasters make some great racing games, it’s true their early F1 games have a lot of ****** bugs but they have improved on those.

The real embarassement is the droves of fools who keep buying every crappy NFS game because of the brand and even the worst ones outsell every other racing game bar Gran Turismo.

Look, this is barrelling towards off topic material, but frankly, NFS Payback is certainly a much better game and actually fun then the preceding one. It has some problems, but it doesn't feel like pulling teeth like NFS 2015.

If you like racing games, why is this an issue? Sure, you may not like NFS, but having those sales keeps this niche market alive. It can potentially also lead to new entrants in the market, like the new Super Street game that's supposed to be coming out later this year - who doesn't like more choice?

I could also talk about how Payback is actually a really good game but that's a discussion for another topic.

Look, this is barrelling towards off topic material, but frankly, NFS Payback is certainly a much better game and actually fun then the preceding one. It has some problems, but it doesn't feel like pulling teeth like NFS 2015.

If you like racing games, why is this an issue? Sure, you may not like NFS, but having those sales keeps this niche market alive. It can potentially also lead to new entrants in the market, like the new Super Street game that's supposed to be coming out later this year - who doesn't like more choice?

I could also talk about how Payback is actually a really good game but that's a discussion for another topic.

I didn’t specifically say which ones were terrible, I didn’t mean all of them but I realise now I didn’t make that clear but we all know which ones are and they still sold millions! I haven’t tried Payback myself yet but the handling in 2015 holy crap it was bad I played maybe 5hrs and then uninstalled it and that’s saying a lot because I’ve played some truly terrible games to completition but there was no fun to be found in that one.

Also why would I be happy that crap sells well just because of the name when it takes away resources from something decent being made like Burnout and more deserving games don’t get the sales purely because they aren’t called Need for Speed.

I saw a snippet of the trailer a few days ago and turned a blind eye to it, It didnt appeal to to me at all. I didnt even realise it was a codemasters game! I thought it was that game Gravel? Or something else from Milestone/BigBen. Finding out this is a codies game as atleast got me intrested Ill follow the progress of it, Its only an early Trailer afterall i guess.

I saw a snippet of the trailer a few days ago and turned a blind eye to it, It didnt appeal to to me at all. I didnt even realise it was a codemasters game! I thought it was that game Gravel? Or something else from Milestone/BigBen. Finding out this is a codies game as atleast got me intrested Ill follow the progress of it, Its only an early Trailer afterall i guess.

Just like with PC2/F7/GTS all releasing within a month or so last year mid-2018 seems to be when all these similar offroad orientated games are coming out with this, Gravel and Dakar 18. I'd hazard a guess this will do better than the others because of the Motorstorm connection but looking at how Dirt 4 flopped the market for these games surely isn't great enough to sustain all of them.

The fact that Codies has managed to survive this long as a developer of solely racing games, and not be shuttered, is an achievement unto itself.

They're not a developer of solely racing games, though. They released Overlord: Fellowship of Evil in 2015, Bodycount and Operation Flashpoint: Red River in 2011 and LOTR Online in 2010. Before that they have released many other non racing titles.

Also worthy of note is that 60% of Codemasters is now owned by the Indian company "Reliance Big Entertainment". While they have survived (which is a very good thing) they haven't exactly been coasting along on the success of their racing games this entire time!

They're not a developer of solely racing games, though. They released Overlord: Fellowship of Evil in 2015, Bodycount and Operation Flashpoint: Red River in 2011 and LOTR Online in 2010. Before that they have released many other non racing titles.

Also worthy of note is that 60% of Codemasters is now owned by the Indian company "Reliance Big Entertainment". While they have survived (which is a very good thing) they haven't exactly been coasting along on the success of their racing games this entire time!

I know they haven't, but their legacy in this current incarnation is defined by successes in the racing genre, and once more, being one of the last of a proud racing game fraternity in the UK.

By what metric?

There’s no real point to any game beyond enjoyment to the player...
It's a racing game where it does not matter if you finish 1st, 3rd or 8th.

"There are no positions and there's no finish line"

Whats the point of racing in the first place?

"As we said, our goal is to redefine racing"

Yeah thats one way of looking at it i suppose the other would be just give us a decent racing game with positions and finish lines. No need to "redefine racing"

I'm glad we have you to speak on the behalf of everyone who has ever taken notice of this title. 👍

Not a problem your more than welcome.

Last edited:
It's a racing game where it does not matter if you finish 1st, 3rd or 8th.

"There are no positions and there's no finish line"

Whats the point of racing in the first place?

"As we said, our goal is to redefine racing"

Yeah thats one way of looking at it i suppose the other would be just give us a decent racing game with positions and finish lines. No need to "redefine racing"

Not a problem your more than welcome.
Whats the point in positions and finish lines in a game though when it doesn’t really mean anything. Much as people love to win they actually have far more fun battling it out in the middle of the pack. Even games like Forza have moved away from needing you to win every race to progress.

Perhaps it will be a terrible idea but writing it off just because you need arbitrary goals given to you to have purpose is a bit short sighted and it didn’t help the arcade racing genre following the same template.

Yeah thats one way of looking at it i suppose the other would be just give us a decent racing game with positions and finish lines. No need to "redefine racing" ...

Perhaps Codemasters/Evolution want to take a break from the norm of racing games? There are plenty of traditional off-road racing games coming out this year if this isn't to your liking.

From my perspective, there is still an element of competition in the formula (You rank higher based on the stunts and takedowns you pull off) and that's what matters - Having a goal you need to achieve in order to "win". I recall having a huge amount of fun in Burnout's Road Rage mode, and that didn't involve racing and grid positions at all.

Whats the point in positions and finish lines in a game though when it doesn’t really mean anything.

Fair enough if that's how you feel regarding racing games then i cannot argue with that. Do you play Fifa? Could you imagine EA bringing out a game with no goals or full time whistle? Winning in Fifa means nothing either but that scenario like a racing game with no positioning or finish line is just a complete turn off for me. Maybe this is what todays modern gamer wants we'l see i guess...

Back