Codemasters to Develop Official WRC Titles from 2023

Late and off-topic reply, but it was probably WRC Arcade.

View attachment 1247678

Was a strangely late PS1 release (2002!), basically akin to something like Sega Rally or the first V-Rally, but with the works teams cars and point-to-point courses based off of the locations for the 2002 season. Actually quite good fun, if a bit barebones.
This was a great game. Wasn't what I was looking for though. I remember an advert in, I'm sure it was OPM in about 1998, for Colin McRae Rally and it had WRC branding. Would be a challenge to find now I think unless someone scanned every issue 😅.

Interesting. Perhaps the FIA were very lax about car licencing back then and didn't lock them down like they do now?

Interesting. Perhaps the FIA were very lax about car licencing back then and didn't lock them down like they do now?
Colin McRae Rally had licensed WRC content, cars, drivers and rallies. The discussion centred around the game not having any WRC branding despite this. I'm sure I'd seen an advert that did though.

I don't think they were lax, licensing was just different back then. Would be another 3/4 years before we would get an official WRC branded game.

A little later than the rumors would have us believe, but earlier than previous WRC games. Intrigued to what the seasons will contain, I wonder if they had a DLC road map for Dirt Rally 3 which they've just carried across in WRC. Or if it will be like F1 with the podium pass style thing with liveries and bits like that, which would be a bit disappointing.

Looking forward to the announcement either way.

Intrigued to what the seasons will contain

Yeah, going by GRID Legends seasons it could be anything, including entire game modes. The lack of last gen console support if official seems weird so soon after F1 23 will be released, enjoy Dirt 2.0 running off my Series X usb stick and looking better than XS games that won't. Be nice if they have used it to pilot UE5, although again it seems soon, would this be its first racing game release if so? Then annual releases with it? Not going to complain if it is though. Trailer in June going by EA lately?

Yeah, going by GRID Legends seasons it could be anything, including entire game modes. The lack of last gen console support if official seems weird so soon after F1 23 will be released, enjoy Dirt 2.0 running off my Series X usb stick and looking better than XS games that won't. Be nice if they have used it to pilot UE5, although again it seems soon, would this be its first racing game release if so? Then annual releases with it? Not going to complain if it is though. Trailer in June going by EA lately?
I'm presonally very glad they did not develop for last gen consoles. I suspect it was an early development decision to make the first release as good as it could be, unlike F1 which still seems to be dragging a lot of last gen players along with it.

They'll have to rip the bandaid off at some point as the game has become stagnant. It's pleasing to see that they are starting WRC from a solid (current gen only) base.

Last edited:
I'm so looking forward to this. DR2.0 had its issues but absolutely none of them related to how the game played, looked or felt. These days, if you've never played it before, buying the ultimate edition or whatever its called with all DLC included, is the best tenner you'll ever spend on Steam, Xbox Store or PSN. What a great game.

I'm less worried about WRC23 because surely being based on the real WRC season, it CAN'T be as light on content at launch, can it.

I'm so looking forward to this. DR2.0 had its issues but absolutely none of them related to how the game played, looked or felt. These days, if you've never played it before, buying the ultimate edition or whatever its called with all DLC included, is the best tenner you'll ever spend on Steam, Xbox Store or PSN. What a great game.

I'm less worried about WRC23 because surely being based on the real WRC season, it CAN'T be as light on content at launch, can it.
Sounds like it will have all DR2 content (minus rallycross I expect), plus WRC 2023 content (rallies, teams, classes) and ability to build our own rally cars. My estimate pegs it at 22 rallies total and at least 50 cars.

Based on rumours and such so far.

The "build your own car" thing fascinates me. In my dreams it'll be brilliant- people sharing perfectly modelled obscure rally cars they've laboured over - SEAT Cordoba WRCs, Suzuki SX4s, Opel Astras, rear-engined Eastern bloc Skodas. In reality I think I'm expecting a bit much although I'm very intrigued by the idea.

I suspect it was an early development decision to make the first release as good as it could be

Yeah makes sense if F1 23 releases on a high, although the Las Vegas trailers look brilliant already so if we could have that with the dust turned up to 11 it'll be worth a console upgrade for some.

it CAN'T be as light on content at launch, can it.

Good point, expect we'll get all this year's WRC events, then anything else that was already made for DR3.0 as the DLC.

The "build your own car" thing fascinates me.

Definitely looking forward to chopping about a foot out of the Ford Puma's height so I can pretend I'm in my Focus. Not really sure what they'll let us do body wise.

The official subreddit /r/wrcthegame/ has been set to private. I wonder if there is a changing of the guard going on over there.

EDIT: The WRC subreddit is also set to private...

Screenshot_20230612-065318.png

Last edited:
The official subreddit /r/wrcthegame/ has been set to private. I wonder if there is a changing of the guard going on over there.

EDIT: The WRC subreddit is also set to private...

View attachment 1264483
Are you sure it's not part of the sitewide Reddit protest? Try again in a couple of days.

Last edited:
a little over a month before this supposed release date and no news, I wonder if its been delayed or he got the date wrong
It is most likely because they don't want to market 2 racing games alongside eachother. My theory has been that as soon as F1 launches, the WRC marketing would begin. Fully expect to see an announcement this week.

It is most likely because they don't want to market 2 racing games alongside eachother. My theory has been that as soon as F1 launches, the WRC marketing would begin. Fully expect to see an announcement this week.
Yeah I was thinking maybe a 1 month campaign leading up to launch given the proximity to F1 23. I.e. hoping we see something by next week at the latest

I hope you are right. It is worring we didn’t get any info about WRC 23 yet

I still think the July 28th date is reliable info, but I do wonder why they're not doing any promo yet. Maybe they think the Dirt rally/WRC player base is solid enough that they will show up no matter what so there's not much need for it.

Have to confess, it's a bit odd now, if that is the accurate release date that was leaked, why we haven't even had an announcement yet.

DR2.0 had quite a comprehensive build up, as did Dirt 4, and the KT WRC games usually had a good few months of build up. As it stands, this will get less than 4 weeks. The game should have gone gold by now surely if that's the case? Only thing I can think is its going to be announced at the end of July, not launched.

Back