• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 196 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
College basketball for 2011-2012 is featured for this thread. For all college basketball fans, the road to March Madness is on for both the men and women. The men of NCAA Division 1 will all be playing for the opportunity to play for the National Championship in New Orleans. I've learned that through doing these college hoops posts, no one seems to really care about college hoops until tournament time (and some conference games). Regardless... if you're a college basketball fan, here is your thread. With the NBA issues for this season, you may have to get adjusted to the college scene.

Time to hoop it up, college style!

Tonight is Midnight Madness for a lot of schools. Time to get excited about college hoops coming back!

Tonight is the start of the season for NCAA Division 1! Nobody really starts CARING about college hoops until either conference play or (especially) the tournament. It's still great to see college teams hoop it up for the new season.

Good luck to all of your team(s) this season, both on the men's side and the women's sides.

^ Agreed (Because... I go to the same high school as that #40 guy did)
(Should also watch Iowa St.!)

Last edited:
Let me tell you something- I don't care if you're a college basketball fan or not, you HAVE to see the deck of the USS Carl Vinson be converted to a basketball court. The game hasn't started yet, but I am just in awe as to how this entire makeshift court was created. Many men and women of the Armed Forces are in attendance to see #1 North Carolina and Michigan State clashes. Even President Barack Obama's in the house to see the game. Of course, he's a big basketball fan. Regardless of who wins this game, the real winners are all the men and women who protect the USA home and abroad.

This is going to be an unreal experience.

It was 67-55 in favor of North Carolina on the USS Carl Vinson. I saw most of the game (not all of it). Both players in somewhat camouflage type uniforms with "U.S.A." on the backs instead of the player names. It was just an overall unreal and enticing experience. The basketball action was very good as well. Some 'ballers would be pleased to say they hooped it up at Rucker Park or someplace, but imagine saying and showing that you played 'ball on the deck of an aircraft carrier! Incredible experience.

Last edited:
That Duke game... almost made me cry :( How can duke have done so HORRIBLY! In one part of the game they were winning by 15 or so! And the next... only by one to a little school. I have a bad feeling about the UNC Duke game... :(

That's college basketball for you. People usually don't care about college hoops early on, but those big school losses to small schools can make a real impact when tournament selection time comes. Pretend if Belmont beat Duke last night and then won their conference championship (Atlantic Sun, I believe). Belmont's tourney resumé will look pretty darned good, don't you think? Then again, struggling against certain teams you beat can serve as possible deterrents to your tournament chances.

It was so intriguing to see the Michigan State vs. North Carolina game on the USS Carl Vinson. You have to credit everyone who made this possible and made this just a total joy to watch. You also have to love performing a great show in front of the men and women who help protect this great nation here and abroad.

If Belmont won their conference championship, they would have an automatic bid.

Early losses can be overcome by good teams, even well into the season. Look at UNC last year. Early games in college basketball are MUCH less important than in college football, for example, where a first game loss can effectively reduce your championship chances to zero.

Yes, I am a large Duke basketball fan as well. I've been to Cameron Indoor a few times, as well as a few football games. At least we're 2-0. My avatar will be changing to either Mason Plumlee or Andre Dawkins soon, because I doubt ECU is making a bowl game.

Also, why is Vanderbilt so hyped every year? They lose to Our Lady of Eternal Sorrow and affiliated schools (Cleveland State? They beat Wake Forest once in the Tournament, but few players from that team should be around) about 5 times per year and lose in the first round of the Big Dance annually. Still in the preseason top 10 every year though.

All I can hope for is that my Cougars can continually improve playing C-USA hoops. I am mostly talking about the Cougar men, but the Lady Cougars are pretty talented themselves. They were sadly ousted last season by West Virginia in the first round of last year's NCAA Women's D1 Tournament.

I was surprised last night that Evansville beat Butler. Evansville usually is a doormat in the Missouri Valley while Butler is the National Champions runners up from last season. NOT the way to start a new season.

I would cheer for ECU in basketball, but its too frustrating. We've been terrible pretty much always, except for one game, when we beat Dwayne Wade and his #9 Marquette team eons ago. We did beat Milligan (Middle School?) 101-45 this weekend though.

Can we be adults about the rivalry here? I get enough of the childishness at ECU games and at school from Carolina rednecks (not saying that you are one, of course :)) and I'd rather keep it kind here. We are both happy about blowouts against anyone, and both fan bases know it.

dudeondacouch
I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but if you aren't giving crap to Duke fans, you aren't a real UNC fan. ;)

I try not to dish it out unless with friends, I try to be nice and shine a positive light on Duke. I do know heckling is fun, but some people (this happens on both sides, not just you guys) just don't know when to stop. That's what gets some choice words out of me. The ECU-Carolina football game this year was atrocious, just cause ECU won the last time in Greenville leaves no reason for drunken Carolina fans to act like children. Hopefully it'll be a good, clean series this year.

Duke is an excellent university, consistently in the top 10 in the nation, and has a historically top 5 basketball program. I recognize this, but as a UNC fan, Dookies are my enemy and get no mercy or quarter. :lol:

I'm not verbally abusive or anything, but I give them a good-natured craptalk any chance I get. Several people in my immediate family are Dookies, and they get the same treatment.

UNC and Duke, even though close to each other, are very different schools with quite different student and fan bases. You should research it a little bit. The rivalry isn't just about basketball. ;)

I know that, thank you very much. I've grown up around the rivalry since birth, and I know plenty about it. More than most people I associate with, who deem themselves hardcore Carolina fans. I kind of resent your request for me to research the rivalry, because I doubt I need to. I may, I don't know, all I'm saying is that I'd like to be civil and don't want to have a flame war, because I can throw out anti-Carolina comments all day. Let's just agree to disagree. 7 miles is the distance from hell to heaven, depending on the perspective, right? :) And if all goes well, I've been preparing my whole life to be a Cameron Crazie, so I know the different aspects as well, and will be attending the football game in Chapel Hill in full royal blue attire :D.

Duke vs. Michigan State tomorrow night. Coach K chasing history. Any predictions for who wins between Duke and Michigan State?

JohnBM01
Duke vs. Michigan State tomorrow night. Coach K chasing history. Any predictions for who wins between Duke and Michigan State?

I have a bad feeling about it, but if one Plumlee (hopefully Mason, Miles has been the underachiever of the two so far) shows up and Dawkins lights it up as he usually does, we should be great. Just so everyone knows, I have a large dislike towards one of our point guards, Thornton #3. Never seen him do anything positive. Go Devils!

And, as expected, ECU blew a 15 point lead to lose to Campbell 76-74. 1-1 record as of now.

CAM
I know that, thank you very much. I've grown up around the rivalry since birth, and I know plenty about it. More than most people I associate with, who deem themselves hardcore Carolina fans. I kind of resent your request for me to research the rivalry, because I doubt I need to.

While I hope this is true, it sounds like typical dook fan drivel.

CAM
Let's just agree to disagree.

Until the end of time. ;)

CAM
I've been preparing my whole life to be a Cameron Crazie

So you're from New Jersey? :lol:

Also... if Duke is at home, I expect them to win. Not my non-conference losses happen in Cameron Indoor; it's probably the toughest place to play in the country.

I wasn't the one who suggested that the other should research the rivalry, which sounds like typical "Carolina fan drivel." And no, I'm in North Carolina, I'm just not a dumb "redneck" like most of the South is rumored to be. I would like to talk about basketball now and leave it to the teams to talk, not us, if you will.

Back