College Basketball 2011-2012

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 196 comments
Neither am I a "dumb redneck," although I do consider myself to be "country." Sadly, I'm not in NC, but I'm from there, my family all live there, and I lived there my whole life until I enlisted. Have been a Tarheel fan since I can remember, through the less-than-stellar Guthridge/Doherty years, and even spent a couple years in Chapel Hill.

I didn't actually think you were from outside NC, but the assumption that most Duke fans are yankees is a popular stereotype. I thought you would appreciate the irony after referring to UNC fans as "rednecks."

After rereading my original post, I was astonished to say that I didn't include the word "some" before using the redneck reference. You see, here in Eastern NC, many of the population are die hard Carolina fans, but have about half of the mental capacity for them to have attended a day of class at UNC-CH. So, at all sporting events here I've been to, many of the Carolina fans have been drunken and overly obnoxious, much like they were after the East Carolina football game here in October. Seeing as many of the ECU fans around the stadium, including me, were being polite and quiet after the loss, many UNC faithful were being unnecessarily obnoxious and disruptive, causing 3 violent altercations in my section alone. So, if you'd excuse my typo, I was referring to the undereducated fans in my area, not the ones in Chapel Hill, which I can actually deal with. Problem solved? Let's just share our love for Bojangles (at least I hope you do love it :P) and sweet tea and set it aside until the Battle of the Blues 👍.

By the way, thanks for serving the country, that's one thing that always superimposes college affiliation 👍.

Last edited:
Well I agree with dacouch on the rivalry thing.

Duke wins.

Coach K has most wins in D1 Basketball History

903!!!!!!!!

Duke Duke Duke!

Now lets beat them Georgians at football eh?

Yep. Blue is my favorite color, and one blue outshines others on this day. Duke Blue saw them win 74-69 over Michigan State. Man... sucks to say you lost to North Carolina and Duke in successive games. But, that's the dark fate of one Michigan State.

Congratulations to Coach K (because I can't spell his last name even if my life depended on it, and I used to be in a Spelling Bee!) on a job well done. You get that record-breaker against Michigan State.

CAM
After rereading my original post, I was astonished to say that I didn't include the word "some" before using the redneck reference. You see, here in Eastern NC, many of the population are die hard Carolina fans, but have about half of the mental capacity for them to have attended a day of class at UNC-CH. So, at all sporting events here I've been to, many of the Carolina fans have been drunken and overly obnoxious, much like they were after the East Carolina football game here in October. Seeing as many of the ECU fans around the stadium, including me, were being polite and quiet after the loss, many UNC faithful were being unnecessarily obnoxious and disruptive, causing 3 violent altercations in my section alone. So, if you'd excuse my typo, I was referring to the undereducated fans in my area, not the ones in Chapel Hill, which I can actually deal with. Problem solved? Let's just share our love for Bojangles (at least I hope you do love it :P) and sweet tea and set it aside until the Battle of the Blues 👍.

By the way, thanks for serving the country, that's one thing that always superimposes college affiliation 👍.

First of all, I love Bojangle's. And sweet tea. :sly:

Also, I spent plenty of time at Fort Bragg, so I'm all too familiar with the commonality of diminished mental capacity in the eastern part of the state.

Sorry that some unruly UNC "fans" acted that way at ECU. They are not representative of us all. It's certainly not the first time that other 'Heels have embarrassed me with their inappropriate and irresponsible actions.

Also... congrats to Coach K on the milestone win.

Last night, Long Beach State upset #9 Pittsburgh. Their 58-game non-conference winning streak was snapped at home as the Pittsburgh Panthers lost 86-76 to he LBSU 49ers. BIG win for Long Beach State out of the Big West.

Terrible news in college basketball as Kurt Budke and Miranda Serna, (respectively) coach and assistant coach of Oklahoma State's women's basketball team, died in a plane crash yesterday. My thoughts and prayers go out to all whom known and loved these two individuals.

The University of Central Florida reeled in a big fish and took it down. Number 4-ranked Connecticut lost 68-63 earlier today. Good seeing a C-USA team (besides Memphis) take down a great Big East team, who also happen to be the defending National Champions.

Cyclones down Rice 90-63, Behind 14 3 pointers. Chris Babb had 26 pts, and had 7 3's. ISU plays again on 11-30 against Northern Iowa.

Right now, Saint Louis looks like they could make the tournament if they can keep putting wins together. They're one of my favorite mid-majors right now for this season.

Men's hoops post here.

What an exciting game last night between #4 Duke at #2 Ohio State! Note my sarcasm... because this one was not close. Duke got slapped around 85-63 in central Ohio last night. Duke went up 9-0 early on to where Duke had to call two timeouts. It was Duke's largest non-conference loss since (I think) 1995 against UCLA.

My Houston Cougars hosted LSU last night. Sadly, we disappointed late and lost 59-58 when we were ahead by a few. Houston is now 3-3. And really, the Cougars have now lost three straight games with such close margins. Our next game is Saturday against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

This weekend is the season premiere of NCAA Basketball on CBS as North Carolina heads to Rupp Arena to take on Kentucky. I think Kentucky is #1 while North Carolina is #2. Rankings don't matter as much in college hoops as it does in college football. So we'll see how this one goes this weekend.

Today is the CBS debut of college basketball for this season. Right now, it's North Carolina at Kentucky. Rupp Arena is rocking (as usual) hoping that UK knocks off UNC. Enjoy your college hoops!

Random musings...

* Down goes Kentucky... and in heartbreaking fashion. Indiana put up a game-winning, buzzer-beating three-point shot to take down the Kentucky Wildcats 73-72. Indiana is now 9-0 while Kentucky falls to 8-1.

* I even heard the game between Duke and Washington in New York City. Duke won the game (I believe 77-70) even with a late rally by the Washington Huskies.

* The real huge story on the day was the fight that broke out between Cincinnati at Xavier. The battle for Cincy got violent with about 9 seconds left in the game as Xavier was up big on the Bearcats. A bench-clearing melee ensued as the game was officially called. Major suspensions are likely going to result from this. Not even Houston and Rice (or even USCal and UCLA) would trade punches with those respective cross-town rivalries.

I know its not really a huge story but I gotta give props to Rutgers University (my alma mater) for knocking off #10 Florida 85 to 83 in Double OT at the RAC.

Wow... people DO care about college hoops before March! Well, congratulations to the Scarlet Knights. There's been lots of insanity and upsets so far. We're basically on the cusp of the conference matches and the major non-conference games.

Wow... people DO care about college hoops before March! Well, congratulations to the Scarlet Knights. There's been lots of insanity and upsets so far. We're basically on the cusp of the conference matches and the major non-conference games.

Well Rutgers will likely be buried in Big East play and they usually face a good school in the last week of December (past few years it was UNC) so this is a good treat to possibly an even better treat tomorrow if they can win in the Bronx.

Off topic, but my graduating class at the school was the school's most successful run in their history. 4 Bowl games, 4 wins. This will be their first bowl game since I graduated.

We got an upset! It was 78-73 as Temple won at home taking down #3 Duke. Great win for the Owls. That would REALLY help their case when the tournament selections are made for this season's men's Final Four road to New Orleans.

We got an upset! It was 78-73 as Temple won at home taking down #3 Duke. Great win for the Owls. That would REALLY help their case when the tournament selections are made for this season's men's Final Four road to New Orleans.

Fordham took down Harvard recently. That's not good if the Ivy League wants more than one team in the dance.

Seton Hall knocked off #9 UConn.

A bizarre game last night lead to the firing of a coach. Western Kentucky University fell in overtime, 72-70 to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. Following the loss, which left the Hilltoppers at a poor 5-11, WKU's coach, Ken McDonald was fired. Now while this makes sense, the final loss should not have occurred. Somehow, ULL managed to have Six (yes 6, apparently counting isn't required when it comes to people on the court) players on the court for the final 3 seconds of the game (and the winning basket) and there was no technical given.

Talk about unusual.

Well, Royce White (Iowa St.) got a triple double* in Iowa State's 74-50 win over Texas A&M.

Royce's Stats *10 points, 18 rebounds, 10 assists* (This is Royce White's first year of basketball, and he is a sophomore. Watch out other teams!)

Let me tell you something- Florida State was just bonkers from three-point range, especially that Dulkys dude for Florida State. UNC got OWNED at Florida State- 90-57! UNC and Duke are tough to beat at home in the ACC, but so is Florida State.

I did see most of the game between #2 Kentucky at Tennessee. Great win for UK to come through late.

So I go to the cafeteria and everyone is there in matching FSU gear and crazy wigs and foam tomahawks and all kinds of stuff. I'm like, "Oh, they must be getting something to eat before a basketball game. Wait, why would they play a basketball game during NFL playoffs?"

So I check my phone and it turns out they already played. UNC. And won 90-57.

90-57?! LOL!

tumblr_lhci3hU9Dd1qazdhko1_500.gif

You could say... we beat the tar out of them.

ijqSZa.gif

A few random notes on the day.

* I saw #19 Michigan at Arkansas earlier today. The Razorbacks were pounding Michigan by as many as 20, and they led by 13 at the half. The blue and maize, however, came right back to shrink the gap and bring it to two points. Unfortunately, the Wolverines came up short. It was a 64-62 [upset] victory for Arkansas over Michigan.

* #3 Baylor couldn't contain #5 Missouri at home. I think they lost 89-88. Baylor just heaved up a meaningless three late just to make the game seem closer than it actually was.

* Maryland was handled by 13 points when they played at Temple at The Palestra. Big win for the Owls over the Maryland Terrapins.

Still a whole lot of basketball to be played today, including the two unbeaten teams playing on the road. The #10(?) Murray State Racers will play at the D1 debutantes, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. #1 Syracuse will be playing at Notre Dame.

I figure that a school called the University of Kentucky will likely be #1 in the nation after today's action and tonight's action. Syracuse got smacked at Notre Dame. Also, Duke does something they rarely do- lose at home. Florida State stuns Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium. People, it may be time to take Florida State seriously in the ACC. They're not just a football school anymore. You're doing something great when you can beat North Carolina and Duke in conference play.

I was also pleased my Houston Cougars finally won a game for a chance. It came at the expense of East Carolina playing in Houston.

#1, #3, #4, #11 and #19 all lost today. I think UConn should fall to the 23rd rank and possibly unranked altogether because their team is losing very winnable games.

Back