College Basketball: 2016-2017 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 169 comments
Birthday boy and GTPlanet's illustrious leader @Jordan got a nice birthday present tonight from the Kentucky Wildcats, winning 92-85 against another pack of cats- the LSU Tigers at Rupp Arena. So good job by the Kentucky Wildcats to win for GTPlanet's most powerful Aquarian.

On a less pleasant note, I heard of a bus incident involving Georgetown University earlier today. No major injuries were reported from the crash. They were playing at #2 Villanova. The Wildcats defeated the Georgetown Hoyas 75-64.

Congratulations to Tuesday's other winners, including Alabama needing quadruple Overtime for the Crimson Tide to upset the #19 South Carolina Gamecocks on the road.

I need only say this to get you excited about tonight...

North Carolina at Duke.

Two of college basketball's premier heavyweights clash tonight. It should be fun as these two rivals have at it. Which blue are you rolling with?

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

[UPDATE] UNC at Duke, not Duke at UNC tonight. Changes made.

Last edited:
I bet that GTPlanet Jesus (@Jordan) wants both to lose. :lol:

I'm tempted to watch just to see if Grayson Allen does something stupid.
Oh he certainly does... It's not as bad as when Louisville plays Duke, though. That's just downright hard to watch. :lol:

We're not too happy with our Wildcats at the moment. It feels like this team, which looked like a potential juggernaut earlier in the year, has regressed. Our defense is terrible, and these guys just don't want to get rebounds. Ugh. The Big Blue Nation is getting restless as March draws near. The only consolation is that so many of the other big programs are having issues of their own, too.

Oh he certainly does... It's not as bad as when Louisville plays Duke, though. That's just downright hard to watch. :lol:

We're not too happy with our Wildcats at the moment. It feels like this team, which looked like a potential juggernaut earlier in the year, has regressed. Our defense is terrible, and these guys just don't want to get rebounds. Ugh. The Big Blue Nation is getting restless as March draws near. The only consolation is that so many of the other big programs are having issues of their own, too.
I have to say that the part I bolded is without question the biggest shock of the year. I know that Michigan hasn't been good since the year they lost to Louisville, but I really find it shocking that so many teams that should cakewalk their conferences are struggling. Michigan State is closer to .500 than they are to the top, and they are generally the go-to team for top tier basketball program in the B1G. Even the teams with high winning records have been blown out at least once this year. I don't see Gonzaga ending the season undefeated, and I really don't see anyone being a clear runaway favorite to go to the Final Four either.

Yeah, in-conference upsets has been the name of the game so far this season.

This tournament is going to be insane, though. I wouldn't be surprised if no #1 seeds made it to the Final Four.

If there is a team I am surprised about, it's Texas- and not in a good way. Texas isn't baller in men's basketball, but I'm surprised they are BELOW .500 for the season. They are usually more competitive than their record indicates. The Texas Lady Longhorns are doing quite well on the other hand. Equally surprising (in a good way) is a team I don't think people are mentioning much- Saint Mary's College. The Gaels are... 21-2 I believe. Of course, the West Coast Conference team that's dominating is #1 Gonzaga. Both teams deserve plenty of love.

We all know about Grayson Allen and his knack of tripping dudes up. I was watching "The Doug Gottlieb Show" yesterday and saw a Michigan State player trip a Michigan player that seemed intentional. Of course, it didn't get as much attention because it wasn't from a serial offender like Grayson Allen. By the way... Michigan destroyed Michigan State in their game. If you were to make me predict whether or not Grayson Allen trips somebody against UNC tonight, I would probably say... yes. The incentive of a Rivalry Game means he'll probably send somebody to the floor.

Tonight's schedule is actually quite loaded among the Top 25 teams.

A few musings to share...

* For the first time in 22 years, Michigan swept Indiana. I saw most of the first half of that game, as Michigan hung about six three-pointers on Indiana. It's an accomplishment any time you can beat Indiana in their house. So congratulations to the Michigan Wolverines on a job well done. 75-63 win for Michigan.

* Did any of you see or follow the ranking preview from yesterday? Where all the top tournament seeds are ranked as of now? I think it was great to find out some of the higher seeds should the tournament run today.

* Earlier today, SMU ended Cincinnati's long winning streak in Dallas with a win over the former two-time National Champion Cincinnati Bearcats.

* I thought it was going to be an interesting match last night when #1 Gonzaga was at #2? Saint Mary's College. The Bulldogs outlasted the SMC Gaels. I actually predicted Gonzaga would fall on the road. Didn't happen, though.

Next thing you know it, we'll be heading towards Selection Sunday. Still a lot of season left...

History could be made tonight if the #1 University of Connecticut Lady Huskies can defeat the #6 South Carolina Lady Gamecocks. That win would make it a 100-game winning streak for the UConn Lady Huskies. The game is at UConn. Other universities have had some kind of triple-digit winning streaks in various other sports. Can UConn make it 100 straight wins? We shall see tonight!

Darned right, AnthonyD1993. And to be honest, nobody should downplay this streak just because it's women's basketball or anything. This is as much an accomplishment as any pro sports team that wins 20+ games in a row. UConn won 66-55 at home against #6 South Carolina. South Carolina is NOT a sorry women's college basketball team. So I salute UConn on a job well done.

Let me tell you something. People have been praising Melo Trimble of Maryland. Count me in as those sold on Melo Trimble. That boy can play. Unfortunately for the Terrapins, they lost today at the Wisconsin Badgers.

No score to report, but Oakland University did knock off Illinois-Chicago at home. The Golden Grizzlies got a big win over Valparaiso earlier this month. I like Oakland's chances of taking the Horizon League this season. That is, unless they somehow falter in the conference tournament.

We are closing in on March. Hope you all are enjoying the ride heading into Selection Sunday.

At 7:00 PM EST, ESPNU will be showing Oakland at Wisconsin-Green Bay. So the Golden Grizzlies of Oakland will be facing the Wisconsin-Green Bay Phoenix at the top of the hour. There's a game for you if you're looking for some college hoops tonight. Surely one Joey D is hoping his Golden Grizzlies can remain strong.

Enjoy college hoops tonight and this weekend.

[UPDATE] Oakland is facing Wisconsin-Green Bay, not Wisconsin-Milwaukee. My Dish info thing said they were playing UWM. Changes made.

Last edited:
BYU just took down Gonzaga with a final score of 79-71. Until today, Gonzaga was the sole remaining undefeated men's team.

And then there were none? BIG win for BYU to take down Gonzaga. Unless Gonzaga just freefalls the rest of the way, they are still a #1 Seed team come Selection Sunday. So there won't be any second coming of the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers now that Gonzaga is no longer unbeaten.

Elsewhere...

* The Kentucky Wildcats did good today hosting Florida. The 'Cats had to man up to tame the Gators after falling behind early.

* In the women's game, Kelsey Plum of Washington became the all-time scorer in NCAA Women's Basketball history. Plum put on a James Harden like scoring rush in scoring 57 points in their 84-77 win over Utah. She surpassed Jackie Stiles' 3,393 points by logging 3,397 career points after this game. So all congratulations to Kelsey Plum. Surely Washington will be among the ones to join the NCAA Women's Tournament this season.

Congratulations to all other winners on this day and night.

"Beware the ides of March."

For most college basketball fans, this is when most fans care about college basketball. Tournament play is the name of the game as March Madness takes over. Conference tournaments are underway and the opportunity to play for a National Championship are all on the line. Enjoy the action!

Man I'm so disappointed in how Oakland U's season ended. Youngstown's got super lucky at the end of the game to pull out the last second win, OU's defense was awful the second half too. At least there's next year and they show they can compete in the Horizon League.

My hope was they would have won and drew the west region so I could have gone to see them here in Salt Lake City.

You know, Joey D, I was going to mention Oakland going down. Sucks for your Golden Grizzlies to go out like that. Maybe Oakland could settle for the NIT or CBI or whatever. It was still a strong season for Oakland University.

Meanwhile, many teams are making their claim to be "in!" in this season's rash of tournaments. I saw (among others) North Carolina-Wilmington advance into the NCAA Tournament by defeating the College of Charleston Cougars.

Slowly but surely... we're building the NCAA Tournament. And of course, there are other colleges in other leagues and divisions trying to make their own postseason push.

I haven't posted in here yet, but...Boiler Up! :D

Purdue won the conference and will play against either Illinois or Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament on Friday.

The Michigan Men's basketball team had a scare today when the plane they were on slid off the runway. They said the plane sustained heavy damage but all on board were okay. Story here.

I hope the Michigan Wolverines are okay. This is about as bad of news as that bus incident involving the Georgetown Hoyas.

Meanwhile, plenty more teams are trying to help their cause to make the NCAA Tournament. If you follow NCAA Division 3, the tournament is going on right now. I think they are in the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight phase of their tournament. NCAA Division 2 tournament action begins this weekend. Selection Sunday for NCAA Division 1 is this Sunday. So a lot of basketball on both the men's and women's sides coming your way to make your March a bit more interesting.

The Michigan/Purdue B1G tournament game was by far one of the best games I've seen all year. What a game. 74-70 Michigan in OT.

Also, on a broadcasting note, I have to give a shoutout to Dan Dakich. He called a non-partial game despite the fact that his son plays for Michigan.

Today is Selection Sunday for NCAA Division 1 men's basketball. I will try to type up the brackets today. But please- DO NOT wait on me. Just come in here and discuss the bracket and the tournament pairings.

Congratulations to all who make the postseason. And tomorrow, the NCAA Division 1 women's basketball bracket will be set up.

Alright, GTPlaneteers. It's March Madness time! 68 of the best (or luckiest) teams will be playing for a National Championship. This is the men's bracket being featured here.

#1 Seeds (! = #1 Overall): Villanova!, Gonzaga, Kansas, and North Carolina

The "First Four" Matches (March 14-15):
* New Orleans vs. Mount St. Mary's
* Providence vs. USCal
* North Carolina Central vs. California-Davis
* Kansas State vs. Wake Forest

I was a bit too lazy trying to get in game locations and dates played. So just check out the matches slated:

--- EAST REGION ---
#1 Villanova vs. #16 (Mt. St. Mary's/New Orleans
#8 Wisconsin vs. #9 Virginia Tech

#5 Virginia vs. #12 North Carolina-Wilmington
#4 Florida vs. #13 East Tennessee State

#6 SMU vs. #11 (Providence/USCal)
#3 Baylor vs. #14 New Mexico State

#7 South Carolina vs. #10 Marquette
#2 Duke vs. #15 Troy

--- WEST REGION ---
#1 Gonzaga vs. #16 South Dakota State
#8 Northwestern vs. #9 Vanderbilt

#5 Notre Dame vs. #12 Princeton
#4 West Virginia vs. #13 Bucknell

#6 Maryland vs. #11 Xavier
#3 Florida State vs. #14 Florida Gulf Coast

#7 Saint Mary's vs. #10 Virginia Commonwealth
#2 Arizona vs. #15 North Dakota

--- MIDWEST REGION ---
#1 Kansas vs. #16 (North Carolina Central/California-Davis)
#8 Miami vs. #9 Michigan State

#5 Iowa State vs. #12 Nevada
#4 Purdue vs. #13 Vermont

#6 Creighton vs. #11 Rhode Island
#3 Oregon vs. #14 Iona

#7 Michigan vs. #10 Oklahoma State
#2 Louisville vs. #15 Jacksonville State

--- SOUTH REGION ---
#1 North Carolina vs. #16 Texas Southern
#8 Arkansas vs. #9 Seton Hall

#5 Minnesota vs. #12 Middle Tennessee State
#4 Butler vs. #13 Winthrop

#6 Cincinnati vs. #11 (Kansas State/Wake Forest)
#3 UCLA vs. #14 Kent State

#7 Dayton vs. #10 Wichita State
#2 Kentucky vs. #15: Northern Kentucky

Northwestern finally gets in after 78 years of trying. Schools like Northern Kentucky make their debut. Powerhouse programs like North Carolina and Kentucky are seeded high. However, Illinois State is denied to this postseason. So too are California, Iowa, and Syracuse.

So, folks, these are the ones who have a chance to play in Phoenix for the NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball championship. If you do any of those bracket challenges, it's time to think about who all you think will win the National Championship. Or are you lucky enough to predict a perfect bracket? Let the predictions begin!

Congratulations to all who made the NCAA tourney and good luck to all.

Now we wait for @Jordan to make the ESPN bracket group so I can suck in the GTP bracket challenge for the third straight year.

Michigan won the B1G tournament. Definitely a feel good story given the fact that they had the plane incident before it started.

Michigan is a 7 seed which is right about where I figured they would be. I predicted between 5-8 seed for them.

Pretty strong group of teams this year. If I'm looking for potential upsets, FGC is always a potential upset team given their Cinderella run a few years ago. Oregon could be upset too given the fact that one of their most important players is now done with a torn ACL. Purdue could be upset too given their shaky play (though the Big 10 as a whole has been shaky).

Our bracket group is live! :D
We are not at all happy with the selection committee here in Kentucky, though. Our potential matchup with Wichita St. is ridiculous. They should absolutely not be a 10-seed — according to KenPom's metrics, they are the eighth best team in the country. As a 2-seed (and the fourth best team in the country by those same metrics), Kentucky should not be playing a team this good in the second round, nor should Wichita St. be playing someone like us yet. It's not fair to either one of us.

C6wIK60XAAIJcjA.jpg:large

After that, we'll have to get through one of our greatest nemesis, UCLA (the only team with more national championships than Kentucky), which ended up with a lower seed even though they beat us on our home court earlier this year. After that, we'll have to get through a rematch with another one of our biggest traditional foes, North Carolina, to make it into the Final Four.

This is going to be very tough, but considering how much parity there has been in college basketball all season, anything could happen and there's going to be a lot of upsets. :crazy:

Back