College Basketball: 2016-2017 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 169 comments
@Jordan, I was thinking about this for a while and decided to wait until now to post this. Would it be a fair suggestion to say that any future GTP brackets for all future tournaments should have some sort of dedication to @FoolKiller in the title? An example of such would be something like the "GTPlanet Foolkiller Memorial Group" or any variation of such. I think it was fair that nobody took Burning Couches as a bracket title in the GTP group as well since it was always his title, and the only way I think it should be allowed in the GTP group is either if you make a bracket for him in his memory or if a relative of his joins the site in the future and fills out a bracket.

As for the tournament itself, I daresay that the real wild card game will be SCAR/Gonzaga. When the zags are hot, they're hot. But if they are not ready, they could easily be upset. UNC/Oregon could also be interesting as well, but both teams have been very solid, so it won't shock me if it goes either way.

I've thought about our late FoolKiller all along with Kentucky. And of course, yourself, Jordan. I actually would be okay with this. It's sad the Wildcats got bounced from the tourney yesterday by North Carolina.

Ladies and gentlemen, your NCAA Division 1 men's basketball Final Four is set. Playing in the desert will be these teams: Oregon, Gonzaga, South Carolina, and North Carolina. So we have two American Southeast teams against two Pacific Northwest teams. Here are the Final Four matches in Phoenix:

* South Carolina vs. Gonzaga
* Oregon vs. North Carolina

Our National Championship could be any of these matches...
* Gonzaga vs. Oregon
* Gonzaga vs. North Carolina
* South Carolina vs. Oregon
* South Carolina vs. Gonzaga

The men's Final Four is set. After tonight, the NCAA Division 1 women's bracket will be set. The two matches for tonight in the women's game will be #10 Oregon vs. #1 Connecticut, and #3 Florida State vs. #1 South Carolina. Who will join Stanford and Mississippi State for the Women's Final Four in Dallas? We'll find out tonight!

[UPDATE] Stanford, not Maryland.

Last edited:
We move closer to determining National Champions in NCAA Division 1 basketball. It's Ladies Night tonight! Dallas is ready to see who will play for a National Championship with two matches tonight. And those matches are:

* #2 Stanford vs. #1 South Carolina
* #2 Mississippi State vs. #1 Connecticut

Should South Carolina and Mississippi State advance, it will basically be a glorified SEC Championship game for the National Championship. Connecticut still has that 110-something game winning streak. Anything can still happen.

Enjoy tonight's action! Tomorrow, it will be the men in Phoenix to determine who plays for a title on the men's side of NCAA Division 1 basketball when their Final Four begins.

Yep, AnthonyD1993.

DOWN GOES CONNECTICUT!

In Overtime last night, the Lady Bulldogs of Mississippi State hit a buzzer-beating "J" to win 66-64 over Connecticut, ending Connecticut's 111-game winning streak. All good things must come to an end. I only saw this game-winning shot on Twitter. Whether you like UConn women's basketball or not, you have to give a standing ovation to UConn for amassing and maintaining such a streak. Good news if you're a UConn women's basketball fan is that you have a chance to start a new winning streak. But again- the Lady Huskies' long winning streak went down in flames up in Dallas.

All congratulations to Mississippi State on the win, but congratulations also to Connecticut on this epic win streak before it got snapped.

Which means it's Mississippi State Vs South Carolina for the National Championship.

I do enjoy watching UConn play, it's how my mother describes the game when she played in high school, and usually they play a sharp, clean, and efficient game while still being tough and somewhat aggressive going after the ball. Last night's game wasn't their best, but Miss State was doing pretty good. I didn't watch the whole thing, but what I did see UConn was in a pickle already.

It's worth noting both losing teams have a Samuelson sister, and one of the off-court things ESPN has followed is their dad being at every one of their games that he could, flying back and forth constantly. I hope he's earned a vacation with the air miles. Stanford could have made it to the finals, but their Samuelson sister severely twisted her ankle, so much so she had to be carried off the court. She did attempt to get back in the game, but the ankle wouldn't allow her to get up to speed as she could barely walk right, much less run or plant the foot. Congratulations to UConn and and Stanford on great seasons, and to Miss State and SC for toppling them and making it to the finals on top of great seasons. If I'm not mistaken, this will be a first WBB Championship for either school, and for Miss St. I believe this is already their first Final Four appearance.

Should be a good game.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is it. We got four teams remaining on the men's side who will be playing to play in the National Championship in Phoenix (Glendale, actually). Your matches on the men's side of NCAA Division 1 basketball:

* #7 South Carolina vs. #1 Gonzaga
* #3 Oregon vs. #1 North Carolina

The cool thing is that the South Carolina vs. Gonzaga game will assure us a team playing for their first ever National Championship against the winner of Oregon and UNC. Nobody thought South Carolina would advance this far. Very few thought Gonzaga would be a Final Four team. Oregon won the inaugural NCAA Tournament back in 1939. And unless you just don't know anything about college basketball, North Carolina is a usual suspect to go deep into the tournament.

Folks... enjoy the ride! If UConn saw their women have their winning streak snapped and get 86'ed from the tournament, ANYTHING can happen. Good luck to all of these teams.

I saw most of Gonzaga vs. South Carolina. Though I was mostly tired, I thought that was a great game. South Carolina played their butts off, but Gonzaga was the better team. Gamecock Nation should be proud.

Once again, it's Ladies Night! It's also the SEC Championship! Or... the National Championship that seems like a glorified SEC Championship game. We got #2 Mississippi State vs. #1 South Carolina. Which of these SEC teams will win it all? We shall see tonight in Dallas, Texas.

Enjoy the game if you'll be watching tonight!

Basketball legend and Georgtown alum Patrick Ewing reportedly has been hired to be the next coach of the Hoyas. Link here.

It's safe to say that that is a blockbuster hire. The pressure is always on Georgetown to succeed given their track record, and given his past there, it'll be even hire next season.

Gonzaga? Or North Carolina? Tonight is the final game of the 2016-2017 season. Either North Carolina will spruce up their trophy room with another basketball National Championship, or that little religious non-football school in eastern Washington will have their first National Championship to add to their trophy room. One of these two teams will be kings of NCAA Division 1 men's basketball. They will add their names to the other teams that won National Championships in NCAA Basketball: South Carolina (D1 Women), Northwest Missouri State (D2 Men), Ashland (OH) (D2 Women), Babson (D3 Men), and Amherst (undefeated!) (D3 Women).

Speaking of which, congratulations to South Carolina on winning their first National Championship in women's basketball last night. It would have been interesting if it was Mississippi State who won the title after ending Connecticut's 111-game winning streak.

[OMISSION(S)] If Gonzaga wins tonight, they'll be the first non-football school to win the National Championship since Marquette won it all back in 1977.

Also, it's long been official- Patrick Ewing will coach the Georgetown Hoyas. G-Town is a solid program and always has been. I'm sure he'll turn around the recent misfortunes this team has faced.

Last edited:
IMG_0173.PNG

i was actually 3 points away from correctly predicting the final score and that shocked me more then having a decent bracket this year :lol:

Another season of college basketball comes to an end. Everybody has pretty much did their own version of "One Shining Moment" to recap the season. As a tradition of mine, I like to honor the champions of college football and college basketball. I'll be honoring the latter for this post. Congratulations to the following:

NCAA D1 Men: North Carolina (some thought the officials are the real winners)
NCAA D1 Women: South Carolina
NCAA D2 Men: Northwest Missouri State
NCAA D2 Women: Ashland (OH)
NCAA D3 Men: Babson
NCAA D3 Women: Amherst <<< undefeated!
NIT Men: Texas Christian
NIT Women: Michigan
CIT: St. Peter's
CBI: Wyoming
NAIA D1 Men: Texas Wesleyan
NAIA D1 Women: Oklahoma City
NAIA D2 Men: Union College (??)
NAIA D2 Women: Marian
NJCAA D1 Men: Hutchinson
NJCAA D1 Women: Gulf Coast State
NJCAA D2 Men: Southwestern
NJCAA D2 Women: Kirkwood
NJCAA D3 Men: North Lake
NJCAA D3 Women: Rock Valley

Remember- it is NOT name-dropping if it doesn't make sense. So congratulations to these colleges and universities on becoming champions of this season of the great sport of college basketball. Who will be champions of the 2017-2018 season? We shall see.

Back