College Basketball: 2016-2017 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 169 comments
actual footage of me watching the Arizona-Saint Mary's game:
IMG_9723.JPG

also oh man i hope xavier won't ruin my bracket any further

Man, that Purdue game was tough to watch. They blew a 19 point lead, even going down by 2 with about 3 minutes to go. Thankfully, they got the lead back and held on to win by 4.

To AnthonyD1993's point, he did mention there could be a rash of upsets considering how tough it is to predict through this field. Not everybody is "Phoenix or Bust" or are somehow granted a one-way ticket to the Final Four.

Random musings...

* I want to show a little Big Ten love now. Congratulations to Wisconsin on their big win over defending champs Villanova. I also want to shout out to the Michigan Wolverines for their win over Louisville.

* Good and bad news for the Kentucky Wildcats. The men survived against Wichita State, but the women got knocked out by Ohio State.

* Last I checked, I saw Richmond was ahead of Oakland in the NIT at the half. I thought initially that Oakland were defeated at Clemson. Joey D's Golden Grizzlies still have a chance to advance in the NIT. That is... if they can get past the Richmond Spiders.

Those are my musings for now. We've seen 68 become 64, 64 become 32, and now 32 become 16. Next weekend or so, we will see 16 become 8 and then 8 become 4. Buckle up- it's going to be a wild ride!

DOWN GOES DUKE! Jordan's wildest dream is coming true. Or at least... half of it. The other half would be Kentucky winning it all.

And so I don't forget, congratulations to Babson College on winning the NCAA Division 3 Men's Basketball championship yesterday.

Only got 10 out of the 16, and going into the elite 8 I'm already down on three of the teams I had picked. And my final four is already half destroyed. I really had Villanova and Louisville going far. For those who went with underdog picks and are still on a perfect win, they should play the lottery rather than the yearly NCAA tournament brackets.

Only got 10 out of the 16, and going into the elite 8 I'm already down on three of the teams I had picked. And my final four is already half destroyed. I really had Villanova and Louisville going far. For those who went with underdog picks and are still on a perfect win, they should play the lottery rather than the yearly NCAA tournament brackets.
That's what I was saying. For that matter, I wish I knew one of them so they could tell me the numbers. Then I'd actually win the lotto for once. :lol:

While the Division 1 action is still ongoing, NCAA Division 2 women's hoops is in their Final Four stage. We got these two matches slated for tonight:

* Virginia Union vs. California Baptist
* Harding vs. Ashland

Sweet 16 action in NCAA Division 1 continues tomorrow. Assuming you didn't have Duke or Louisville winning it all on the men's side, here's hoping your bracket still remains alive with the upcoming matches.

Great shame. John Thompson III was very solid coaching a quality program like Georgetown. I'm hoping the next coach can at least keep them competitive next season.

Meanwhile, the Madness continues tonight. Sweet Sixteen action on tap. The winners will make up the Elite Eight. Eight will advance, eight will go home. Also tonight is the Final Four in NCAA Division 2 men's basketball.

Enjoy the collegiate basketball action, and good luck to all of the teams still alive in the tournament(s).

I finally got a big upset right in my bracket. It only took till the Sweet 16 for it to happen. :lol:

EDIT:

RIP to the 1.3 or so million ESPN brackets that picked Arizona to win it all.

Last edited:
NCAA Division 2 basketball got settled this weekend. The men's champs are Northwest Missouri State, and the women's champs are Ashland (OH). So congratulations to these two schools for winning the NCAA D2 basketball championships. Now to settle NCAA Division 1.

On the women's side, #10 Oregon defeated #3 Maryland. Big win for the Lady Ducks to take down a powerful women's program like Maryland.

NCAA Division 2 basketball got settled this weekend. The men's champs are Northwest Missouri State
Dang, I was really pulling for Fairmont State. They're not too far away (hour and a half, but that's driving through WV for you) from me. Still, they had one heck of a season.

NCAA Division 3 champions... the men's champs were Babson College, and the women's champs were Amherst College (undefeated sesaon!). I know I mentioned Babson College winning on the men's side, but I wanted to update with the women's D3 champs.

As for Fairmont State, my congratulations go out to them on a fine season despite missing out on the NCAA D2 Men's National championship. This championship for Northwest Missouri State is their first-ever men's basketball title in school history, I learned. So this school won the National Championship in men's basketball and football this season. Can't complain with that...

I may be misremembering, but wasn't the coach at South Carolina out after this season?

Kansas fell yesterday. Bill self is 2-7 in Sweet 16 games. Can't imagine how many millions of brackets are dead just from that.

Oregon and Gonzaga are in the Final Four, South Carolina v. Florida starts in about an hour and a half and Kentucky v. North Carolina is a late-afternoon game.

The women's side has ND leading Stanford at halftime, Baylor v. Miss. State later tonight, then almighty UConn v. Oregon and South Carolina v. Florida State tomorrow evening.

Well, that's the end of the road for my Kentucky Wildcats.

It's always tough to lose on a last-second shot, but this one hurts particularly bad. Neither team played well (and I still think Kentucky is a better team than North Carolina), but it didn't feel like a fair game due to the officiating. The whole tournament has been marred by poor officiating, but the calls during this game were unbelievably bad on both ends of the court. I nearly lost my voice yelling at the TV.

It's made even worse by the fact that we lost to a team that probably shouldn't even be eligible to play in the tournament... :mad:

It always takes me a few days to get through Kentucky losing in the tournament, it's like I have to go through all the stages of grief. I was really hoping they would win it this year for another die-hard Kentucky fan I know, @FoolKiller. At least we made it further than UCLA, Duke, and Louisville.

I will be pulling for the remaining SEC team, South Carolina, to cut down the nets in Phoenix next week.

I forgot all about brackets this year. Just as well. First time in awhile that no Northeastern team is in the final four.

Back