College Basketball 2017-2018 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 132 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
College football is cool and all, but college basketball is kind of awesome and a big deal too. I actually was working on making the new season's thread until our good GTPlaneteer AnthonyD1993 made mention from last season's thread.

So here you are- the 2017-2018 season of college baskketball. Not just NCAA Division 1. Not just men's hoops. ALL things college basketball. Dive right in and let's tip off a new season of college hoops on GTPlanet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Big deal, but the reason he was fired is by far the bigger story. Louisville involved in the corruption scandal involving several schools, financial advisors, and sportswear giant Adidas. Yes, I know that the article above highlights the story, but I'm still linking the original article regarding the scandal below.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

I wonder what @Jordan has to say since while it isn't his school, Pitino previously coached his Big Blue and coached Kentucky's 1996 National Championship season.

Side note, if @JohnBM01 makes the 17-18 thread, could you move disussion of this incident there?

How many violations, scandals, and charges have been brought against Louisville in the last 5 years? I've lost count, especially the last two-three. Pitino may be a legend, but legend status isn't immunity forever.

I'd imagine Calipari is chuckling to himself over this. Everyone wants to claim he and his are doing it wrong, or they're cheating somehow, and now within a year or two, Kentucky Basketball is the honest program while Louisville has landed in the sewer.

Is this career ending? Probably not, he may never get a top tier job again, but a D2 or D3 school might hire him.
I could see it both ways. Some schools will stop at nothing and would rather have a dirty program that wins over a clean one that sucks, and vice versa for others. If someone is very desperate for a good, coach, they may roll the dice and take him. On the other hand, with how serious this particular scandal is (and still ongoing given the involvement of the Feds), it could be the last time he ever coaches a game of any sort as well depending on how this whole scandal ends when all is said and done.

It's official- Rick Pitino got shown the door as Louisville men's basketball head coach. He was officially fired according to something I briefly read on Twitter. It may be a bit tough for Louisville to garner a solid season of men's basketball this season or in the coming seasons. I wonder if Louisville could possibly pick up a big time coach or a very good mid-level coach.

College basketball action starts up this coming Friday. Most people don't really care about college basketball until we get to March. However, you miss out on some great early action that can be just as crucial in setting up the tournament field come March. So be sure to catch some of the early season action before we start getting into conference play and conference tournaments.

Here are the [NCAA Division 1 Men's] Top 25 as of November 1:

1.) Duke
2.) Michigan State
3.) Arizona
4.) Kansas
5.) Kentucky
6.) Villanova
7.) Wichita State
8.) Florida
9.) North Carolina <<< defending champions
10.) USCal
11.) West Virginia
12.) Cincinnati
13.) Miami
14.) Notre Dame
15.) Minnesota
16.) Louisville
17.) Xavier
18.) Gonzaga <<< 2016-2017 National Champion runners-up
19.) Northwestern
20.) Purdue
21.) UCLA
22.) Saint Mary's
23.) Seton Hall
24.) Baylor
25.) Texas A&M

Hey- girls can 'ball too! Here's the first set of rankings for the women of NCAA Division 1 basketball:

1.) Connecticut
2.) Texas
3.) Baylor
4.) South Carolina <<< defending champions, ended UConn's 111-game winning streak
5.) Ohio State
6.) Notre Dame
7.) Mississippi State <<< 2016-2017 National Champion runners-up
8.) UCLA
9.) Louisville
10.) Stanford
11.) Oregon
12.) Duke
13.) West Virginia
14.) Tennessee
15.) Maryland
16.) Missouri
17.) Marquette
18.) Florida State
19.) Oregon State
20.) (California and Texas A&M - tie)
22.) Oklahoma
23.) South Florida
24.) Michigan
25.) DePaul

Looks like many of the usual suspects are in the Top 25 on the men's side and the women's side. The NCAA Division 1 Men's Final Four will be in San Antonio, Texas this year starting March 31, 2018. The NCAA Division 1 Women's Final Four will be in Columbus, Ohio and still start on March 30, 2018.

Get psyched for the new season, GTPlanet! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

College basketball has gone in in full anger for men and women. Plenty of tournaments have gone on. Times haven't been so good for No. 2-ranked Arizona. The PK80 Tournament in Portland saw teams like Florida take down Gonzaga.

Today, we got two unbeaten teams all dressed up and ready to go as the #25 Alabama Crimson Tide take on the #14 Minnesota Golden Gophers. 5-0 vs. 6-0 respectively.

You folks go enjoy some college hoops. How are your favorite teams doing so far?

Oklahoma losing to Arkansas in the PK80 was disappointing, but they played well against both Portland State and Oregon. Trae Young is going to be a really fun freshman to watch this year.

We got some upsets today, folks! Ball State defeated No. 9 Notre Dame 80-77 tonight. Big win for the Cardinals taking down the Fighting Irish Notre Dame. No. 7 Texas A&M lost to Arizona 67-64. 78-68 was the score as Nebraska upset visiting No. 14 Minnesota.

Ball State's victory over Notre Dame is their first-ever win against an AP Top 25 team in school history.

Earlier this week, the Ramblers of Loyola University of Chicago went to Florida and defeated them 65-59. The (then) No. 5-ranked Gators were 5-0 and have lost three straight since. One thing about tournament selections is that you have to good... but also any big teams you defeat have to be good also. This will help you in trying to make your case to make the tournament even as an at-large bid. So this win can help for Loyola UC should they get in this season.

College football is winding down, so go enjoy some college hoops! Men and women! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Dislike Duke? Well, prepare to smile when I say...

DOWN GOES DUKE!

Duke's visit to Boston College didn't go so well. The Jesuit university took down Duke 89-84 at home. The BC Eagles handed the Duke Blue Devils their first loss of the season.

Congratulations to all other winners from today's games and tonight's games, even including Kentucky downing Monmouth at home.

AnthonyD1993, I did see that game earlier today. Most of it, anyways. I really think Michigan can be dangerous against various other teams- including that in-state rival out in East Lansing. Most people usually see Michigan as a football school. However, I think they could be a pretty good team even if they make the tournament. I didn't think that game against the UCLA Bruins would go into Overtime. Regardless, congratulations to your Wolverines!

And cheers to all other winners from today's/tonight's games.

History was made today, both in women's basketball. Sylvia Hatchell made history today by becoming the fourth NCAA Division 1 basketball coach to knock down 1,000 wins as head coach. The Lady Tar Heels defeated the Lady Tigers of Grambling State. Hatchell is the coach of the University of North Carolina. Geno Auriemma also hit his 1K win as coach of the Connecticut Lady Huskies taking down the visiting Oklahoma Lady Sooners tonight.

So congratulations the latest members of the 1,000 coaching win club, and not to mention every team who won today/tonight in men's ans women's college basketball.

A few college hoops musings coming up.

* Can you believe Wofford knocked off North Carolina earlier this week? AT North Carolina? Wow!

* The CBS Classic was held in New Orleans with Ohio State against North Carolina, followed by UCLA vs. Kentucky. North Carolina took down the Ohio State Buckeyes, then #7 Kentucky fell to unranked UCLA. I have no scores for either of these games as I simply just wanted to mention these games.

* Heading into today, there are four unbeaten teams in the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball ranks- Miami, Arizona State, Villanova, and TCU. Could these be four teams that could make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament should they qualify?

* I learned my beloved Houston Cougars are 10-2 on the season. We have the same record as #3 Wichita State (latest member of the American Athletic Conference), but the Cincinnati Bearcats have a better record- 11-2.

Thanks for reading this post! So how are your favorite teams doing so far?

The Wofford upset reminded me of why I love college basketball. The fact that anyone can beat anyone is just the greatest thing about the game.

It's time to get a bit more serious now. Just about everyone will be playing conference games. Your best bet to get into the Tournament is to win your conference championship. Either that, or hope you get in as an at-large. So get ready for a lot of conference games from all of the conferences. Most of the regular season tournaments have ended, and a lot of the good non-conference games have also concluded. Now it's time to prove you're the best in your conference.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

A rare feat happened on Wednesday in college basketball- a quadruple double. In the women's ranks, Shaklya Hill of Grambling State University put in 15 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 10 steals to help her Lady Tigers defeat the Alabama State Lady Hornets. This quadruple double was the first quadruple double in NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball since 1993. S. Hill also wanted to know what LeBron James thinks of her making this quadruple double. His reaction? Check it:

Elsewhere (and I have no scores, so look up the final scores of these games online)...

* Georgia beat Alabama! In men's basketball. Don't worry- the two football teams will tackle each other silly on Monday for the National Championship in NCAA FBS football. At least UGA can brag a little bit before their football team takes on Alabama.

* A late score by Florida in a tied game led them to escape Missouri with a win.

* What do you give for a birthday present to your coach? An upset win. That's what Colorado did at home to #14 Arizona. This, among several upsets today and tonight.

* Congratulations to the handsome Jay Wright in picking up his 400th win as head coach. His Villanova Wildcats won at home against the Golden Eagles of Marquette. Wright currently has the 2nd most wins all-time of Villanova coaches.

Congratulations to all winners from games today and tonight across all of college basketball.

I can say that I never in my life saw some get a quadruple double until now. That is absolutely one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

In the NBA, the quadruple double has been done about four times as of the time of this post. Hakeem Olajuwon was one of the ones to do the quadruple double in the NBA back in 1990. If you think that is rare, there is an even more rare basketball feat- a quintuble double. A quintuble double is like this: double digit totals in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. According to Wikipedia, there are only two known cases of a quintuple double- both in High School. Tamika Catchings in High School in 1997 and Aimee Oertner in 2012.

You don't usually hear of college players who record triple-doubles, let alone quadruple doubles or better. So this is very much "cool story, bro/sis" material. College players mostly have to be in the zone to put up even double-doubles or better. That was still an amazing performance by Shaklya Hill. If she goes pro, that's something she can bring wherever she goes, whether it's the WNBA or some other pro women's basketball league.

Now that college football is done, a lot of people into college sports now turn their attention to college basketball. We are still a good amount of time away from good old March Madness. Time for teams to make their case for postseason inclusion.

I hope your favorite teams are doing well so far. Keep pushing towards the Tourney!

A few musings to share...

Rivals Michigan and #4 Michigan State battled today in East Lansing, MI. The Michigan Wolverines handed the Michigan State Spartans an 82-72 defeat. Big win for the Wolverines. I do like Michigan a lot in the Big Ten this season. Maybe Michigan wins the B1G this season and get that automatic bid into March Madness.

Elsewhere (don't have scores for all games)...

* La Salle played at Duquesne, and the Duquesne Dukes won 101-92(?) in Triple Overtime.

* Kansas barely squeaked out a win at home against in-state rivals Kansas State. I think it was 73-72 in favor of the Kansas Jayhawks over the Wildcats of K-State.

Congratulations to all other winners up to and after the time of this post- men's and women's hoops.

Fox shown a stat during the game saying that Michigan based off their analytics would be an 8 seed if the tournament selections happened today.

Trae Young is beast. If Oklahoma is to make the Tournament and go far into it, Young is the young man to help lift the Sooners to bigger and better.

Just wanted to pop in and say Boiler Up! Purdue is up to #3. On a 14 game win streak and haven't lost since November (though I know I've probably jinxed them and they will lose their next game). :)

Latest Posts

Back