College Football 2010 - Regular Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnBM01, Sep 2, 2010.

1. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

College. Football. Is. BACK!!! Tailgating, the marching band, fight songs, chants... it's time to go back to school! This thread is for all things college football this season. Everything from NCAA FBS to NAIA and any other branches of college football. This is YOUR thread! While I'm not coverying college football as I normally do, this is a general discussion thread to discuss this season of college football.

The new season kicks off tonight with a whole slate of games. Back to school, GTPlanet!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

I will be at the UK vs UL game on Saturday.

3. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

I'm watching the LSU/North Carolina match. A lot of big winners today, and I was most impressed with the job Michigan has done against a pretty good Connecticut squad. Great for Rich-Rod to get a win over a fairly good UConn team. Several other teams just smashed others. These big winners inlcude Texas defeating Rice, Oregon annihilating New Mexico (who's really fallen off the map recently), Florida State neutering the Samford Bulldogs, and countless other big winners. Speaking of big winners, FoolKiller is plenty proud to see his Wildcats take down Louisville 23-16. I sometimes wonder if Kentucky can really contend for the SEC championship anytime soon. Perhaps a dark horse, but Kentucky has come a long way in the football ranks.

Now for some sad notes... North Dakota State upset Kansas 6-3. Mississippi lost 49-48 in Double Overtime to Jacksonville State.

Hope your most favorite team(s) won and least-favorite team(s) lost!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  4. GT_Prologue5

GT_Prologue5

Sad? That was the best game of the weekend?!

EDIT: 2OT

5. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

They won't be contending for the SEC championship anytime soon if they have second halves the way they did Saturday. It was brilliant watching them score in two plays, 35 seconds into the game, and the rest of the first half they just kept moving the ball constantly. But in the second half it was a struggle to get to field goal range. But in the end Joker Philips played smart ball. He kept his players' eyes on the win, not the score and you could tell that on their last possession they were under instructions to only go for first downs and not the end zone. The clock continued to burn and Louisville couldn't have had enough time outs to get the ball back.

The one thing I saw was smart football. Move the ball and try for 4-5 yards a down, don't aim for the endzone unless it is wide open, no show boating, and save the big plays for when they are needed. It was a game of solid fundamentals for Kentucky, so even when they couldn't get into the endzone they kept Louisville from being able to win.

And just to share: My daughter is a fan. She even loves watching me do the C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! cheer.

[​IMG]

6. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Heh... cute picture, FoolKiller! Adorable. The matches on Saturday, however, will be anything but adorable. Michigan at Notre Dame, Penn State at Alabama, Florida State at Oklahoma... all among others.

I want to spare a thought for the Wyoming LB that was killed in a crash that injured three other Wyoming Cowboys. Very tough to fathom something like this.

7. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Big Saturday of college football on tap this weekend even as the NFL wants its face time. One of tonight's matches (or maybe tonight's real match) will be my beloved Houston Cougars taking on UTEP. This is a weekend you HAVE to love if you're a college football fan. Some big non-conference games are coming up.

Enjoy this weekend of college football, friends!

8. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Oh god you UKians ripped the Jets on your chant? Bogus!

btw, cute.

9. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Man this college football stuff is BORING. All of these teams suck so bad.

10. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Teams suck so bad? Well, one team really stunk in losing to an FCS team. Last time, it was Jacksonville State in 2OT last weekend. One FCS team beat another FBS team, and it WASN'T Texas Southern over UConn. Random ramblings...

* Justin is probably breaking stuff in his house knowing that the Coyotes of the University of South Dakota beat Minnesota at their beautiful house- TCF Bank Stadium. * If you're Kansas who is pissed off after losing at home to North Dakota State last weekend? I don't know... upset #15 Georgia Tech, maybe? * Michigan's 2-0 now in taking down Notre Dame at Notre Dame (Joey D would smile). * I saw a Twitter update saying that James Madison beat Virginia Tech 21-16. Wow. Beemer Ball ain't working this season so far...

Congratulations to the winners of all the games played up to the time of this post!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  11. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Yeah, even Miami and OSU... They suckkkkk. Everyone misses blocks, coverage is terrible, people can't tackle. It's really awful. I don't know how people get so excited over crappy football. The NFL is so much better.

12. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

Yep. And Louisville changed it to C-A-R-D-S CARDS! And way too many of the fans think they have been original.

I have to agree. Even when my team is winning I can only shake my head at just how awful the mistakes are.

13. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Denard Robinson is nuts, I've never seen a QB who rushes like that. Michigan is looking better this year but I think they are a bit sloppy when it comes to defense. I can't believe they almost lost it in the end, but beating the Fighting Irish was a huge victory for them. I'll be waiting to see how it all plays out.

14. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

If you haven't kept up recently, Reggie Bush recently surrendered his Heisman trophy from 2005, and will NOT be re-rewarded. Have you any thoughts?

I usually post a comment about any upcoming games, but the only ones I know of are Texas at Texas Tech and Notre Dame at Michigan State. Enjoy this week's games!

15. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

I didn't see all of it, but I am curious as to what the Cincinnati and North Carolina State players were touching, or what was in the ball. There was a number of fumbles in this game. It was an almost criminal number of fumbles.

Other games this weekend (no rankings listed):
    * Nebraska at Washington
    * Iowa at Arizona
    * Texas at Texas Tech (ESPN has a love of re-playing that Crabtree catch)
    * Houston at UCLA
    * Clemson(right ream?) at Auburn
    * Florida at Tennessee
    * Arkansas at Georgia
    * BYU at Florida State
    * Arizona State at Wisconsin
    * USCal at Minnesota
    * Akron at Kentucky
    * Boise State at Wyoming (BoSU will join Mountain West in the future, so this will be a conference preview)

Friday night lights... COLLEGE STYLE!
    * Kansas at Southern Mississippi
    * California at Nevada

Enjoy this weekend's games! :)

16. Crash

Crash Premium

The Nebraska vs. Washington game is going to be good. I wish I have tickets, but the season tickets were all sold out, so I'll just have to try and catch it on TV instead. Hopefully the Huskies will continue to improve from the past year and the past 2 games and at least be able to pull off a win.

Go Huskies!

17. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Tell you what... it would be a HUGE win for the Huskies to take down Nebraska. A lot of these games this weekend will really tell contenders from pretenders. Nebraska's doing anything they can to return to to championship form. Kind of like returning to the 1970 or 1995 Cornhuskers. A win in Seattle for the Cornhuskers can go a long way.

18. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I'm going to say my Gophers lose by no less than 30 points and only score a field goal against the Trojans.

The Washington/Nebraska game seems to be pivotal for both programs.

19. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

A few games are either in halftime or heading towards halftime right now. Michigan

--- At This Moment... ---
    * Arkansas leads Georgia 17-7 at the half.
    * Michigan leads Massachusetts 21-17 at the Half. Massachusetts is a great FCS school... but can they be ANOTHER Appalachian State?
    * West Virginia ahead at home vs. Maryland 21-0 at Halftime.
    * Ohio State all over Ohio. 34-0 at the 'shoe.
    * Vanderbilt ahead 7-0 at Mississippi.
    * Northern Illinois at Illinois, and Illinois leads 18-12.

The night games are still on tap. Enjoy your weekend!

20. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Denard Robinson is nuts, seriously a guy that can throw and run like that? I mean 502 offensive yards against Notre Dame? I can't wait to see where this kid ends up at, but if he can continue like that he's a untied shoe in for the NFL.

21. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Lmao @ UGA. All that noise and build up and Mallet destroys them for a TD with 16 seconds left. Sooie pig!

22. Joey D

Joey D Premium

I hate U of M's defence, I mean for christ sake you know you job is to prevent the other team from scoring points right? I'm glad they have their offence squared away, but they aren't going to win and Rose Bowl's let alone National Championships with a defence like that.

23. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Could you say either Michigan or Miami instead of U of M?

24. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Why? I think most of the NCAA football world knows the University of Michigan as UofM. I mean even when I was in the UK they knew what UofM was and they are allergic to the football we play here in America.

25. Crash

Crash Premium

Man, that Nebraska-Washington game was brutal. Washington was down, but was able to hold on and play a competitive game for about 1 quarter, then they just... failed. Defense and offense both played terrible. With this game, and Jake Locker's performance, there goes any possibility of his Heisman hopes.

26. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

My God... Houston took one right to the jugular. My beloved kitties lost 31-13 at UCLA. UCLA was up 21-3 at the half, and we just stumbled. Case Keenum got knocked around too.

I also saw most of the game between Texas at Texas Tech. And though ESPN has a fetish of overplaying certain highlights (like the Crabtree touchdown from two years ago that upset then #1 Texas), Texas came right back and handed the Red Raiders a loss.

Congratulations to all the winners of all the games this past week and weekend!

27. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

Great now I'm confused. :sly:

[​IMG]

28. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Kentucky's unbeaten. Up next for the Kentucky Wildcats, though... at #9 Florida. Part of me says this is UK's best chance to take down Florida for the first time in some time. Part of me also, however, believes Kentucky could be 3-1 overall and 0-1 in SEC play.

The University of Houston may be falling from grace now. Case Keenum is done for the year with a torn ACL. Another QB for the Coogs is also done for the year. Not as confident about my team the rest of the way. I still think they can make a Bowl Game, but being some sort of BCS Bowl threat or something, that's out the window now.

29. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

If we have a chance it is this year as our offense is looking excellent and Florida is looking to not be as great as in the past. That said, our defense has a terrible habit of allowing big plays and Florida will take advantage of that fact.

I predict a loss, but we will give Florida a run for their money.

30. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Tonight's big game is #19 Miami at Pittsburgh. You can think of this game as a family reunion for Miami since they used to be part of the Big East. The Steel City Kitties are ready to take on Miami with open arms... and a chance to upset "The U."

Here are some other games this weekend:
    * #24(?) Oregon State at #3 Boise State
    * #1 Alabama at #10 Arkansas (this should be a GREAT one)
    * #2? Stanford at Notre Dame
    * South Carolina at Auburn
    * Tulane at Houston

Whatever game(s) you will be watching, have a great weekend!