College Football 2010 - Regular Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 125 comments
Michigan State gets whacked at Iowa, and Nebraska takes out Missouri. Isn't college football grand? ;-)

Congratulations to all the winners from this past week's matches!

Tonight's big ESPN match is Georgia Tech at #2? Virginia Tech. GT and VT. Should be a great one. Perhaps the biggest match this weekend will be TCU at Utah in a huge top-5 showdown in Salt Lake City.

Also, there are rumors of the Big East expanding to ten football teams. I've heard that schools like Villanova, Central Florida, TCU, and even my beloved University of Houston are being considered. Only Villanova and UCF make the most sense geographically. Only chance of schools like TCU and Houston being part of a major conference is if they bring back the Southwest Conference.

Here are a few notes from today's games...

* Joe Paterno roars wildly as he picks up his 400th win, taking down Northwestern.
* basketball on grass... and the only grass that got smoked was Illinois in triple-overtime 67-65 at the Big House.
* my "GAME OF THE WEEK" this week was a no-contest- 47-7 beatdown of Utah administered by TCU.
* Texas fails... again. 34-19 loss at Kansas State for the 'Horns.
* LSU = overrated? Explain their 24-21 victory over Alabama in Baton Rouge, then.
* 42-17 blowout at Stanford routs Arizona in Palo Alto.
* Hawaii was no match for Boise State, Boise State wins 42-7.
* Washington fails at Duck Hunt as the Oregon Ducks cruise 53-17.

And on Friday night, my Cougars lost 40-33 to UCF here in Houston.

Congratulations to all winners of all games this week and weekend!

Last edited:
Today's Michigan game showed me how truly awful their defence it. Rich Rodriguez really needs to be fired so Michigan can at least play ball like they should.

So glad I decided to watch the Spurs game instead of the debacle that is the University of Tejas. Kansas St caught more passes from our QB (5 picks) than they caught from their own (seriously, Klien went 2 for 5). Started reading the games stats and got queezy.

I know the feeling as a OU fan myself.:yuck: First play from scrimmage and the ball is snapped over the QBs head and out the back of the endzone for a safety. 2 pts for aTm and they hadn't even touched the ball yet....

* Joe Paterno roars wildly as he picks up his 400th win, taking down Northwestern.
:D:tup: It didn't look like it was going to happen early on when PSU went down 21. but they were able to pull themselves back together for this historic victory. ;)
* my "GAME OF THE WEEK" this week was a no-contest- 47-7 beatdown of Utah administered by TCU.
:ouch:
* Texas fails... again. 34-19 loss at Kansas State for the 'Horns.
Epically?
* Hawaii was no match for Boise State, Boise State wins 42-7.
Are they enroute to crashing the party again? Kinda looks like it.:)
* Washington fails at Duck Hunt as the Oregon Ducks cruise 53-17.
Note to the rest of Oregon's opponets, have plenty of anti-aircraft weaponry handy. ;)

It has been reported that Cameron Newton (Auburn QB) somehow wanted to go to Mississippi State, but instead went to Auburn because "the money was not enough." This was according to Newton's father. What do you all make of this whole Cam Newton deal?

I think it's alot about nuthin'. Every time another story comes out about a college athlete I get turned off. These guy's bring millions of dollars into a University, that they never see. I don't condone paying athletes but I don't believe half of what is reported. With the money that is involved in college sports, every report or complaint or leak of 'supposed' information has some type of alterior motive behind it.

In my opinion this is SEC soap opera drama or Heismann sabotage. IF this occurred, then how much did he get to go to AU? That's the only part of the story that could be a violation - proof that he got paid to go to Auburn. Otherwise, his old man or recruiter or the reporter needs to shut up. Reeks of sour grapes.

(however Cam should do himself a favor and shut his mouth up as well. He's not helping himself)

A few notes from games so far. Not going to mention scores, but just what has happened so far.

* Northwestern took down #13 Iowa in Evanston
* Michigan took down Purdue on the road.
* Wisconsin buried Indiana at 83-20 (or whatever) at the Horseshoe.
* Kentucky pounds Vanderbilt in Lexington by about 18 points.
* Notre Dame leads #14 Utah 28-3 with 6:35 left in the game. Game is in South Bend.

Here's something else that's a "Wow!" to me- can you believe Texas is DEAD LAST in the Big XII South at 2-4 in conference and 4-5 overall? Who would have thought Texas would be in this desperate situation? Then again, imagine the shock and awe when Michigan was having that down season in 2007 or so with the biggest shocker being that Appalachian State victory? Even the most winningest teams have to struggle at one point, but it's absolutely unusual to see Texas down like this.

This is a wild day so far. And here locally, my hometown Texas Southern Tigers have a chance to clinch the SWAC West when they take on Arkansas-Pine Bluff tonight. Currently if it were to end like this, it would be Texas Southern vs. Alabama State for the SWAC championship.

Got to love college football!

Last edited:
* Ohio State buried Indiana at 83-20 (or whatever) at the Horseshoe.

Slight correction John ;)

The Bucks played Penn. State at the shoe and won by a score of 38 to 14.

Wisconsin is the one who racked up 83 points against Indiana. 83 to 20.

I think Wisconsin was sending a message to the BCS with that win. :grumpy: As much as I don't want to say it,I think Wisconsin will end up being the Big 10 Champs this year and head out to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.Although they still have an outside shot at the National Championship game which would then give OSU the Rose Bowl bid.

Auburn and Oregon,can they be stopped ? Can someone knock them off and let TCU and or Boise State slip into the drivers seat and have a shot at the National Championship ? Or will LSU,Stanford or Wisconsin leap over these two and take it away from them ? The next couple of weeks are going to get really interesting.

Thoughts on TCU and Boise State - if of them happens to hit paydirt and land a spot in the National Championship game,what do you think their chances are going up a team like Oregon or Auburn ? Would it be a big time blowout ? Can they run with the big dogs ?

Want some rankings in FBS? Here are the latest AP rankings courtesy of ncaa.com:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/division_i_a1.html

Another note from Saturday: Auburn held off Georgia at home. Auburn will still have plenty of attention to them with this whole Cam Newton deal. I wish I had BCS rankings, but ncaa.com didn't have an updated BCS ranking list. Here is your AP Top 5 (in case you don't want to visit the link above): Oregon, Auburn, Boise State, Texas Christian (TCU), and Louisiana State (LSU).

What an interesting (and by interesting, I mean debacle) way to play football, they determined for the Wrigley Field, Northwestern v Illinois game tomorrow. All offensive plays will go the same direction on field, for both teams. Both team benches will be on the same side of the field, switching at halftime (still on the same side of the field). All kick-offs, extra point trys, and overtime will be on the same side of the field.

Cited by safety concerns, Big 10 officials have issued the press release today. Hmmm, shouldn't someone have figured this out prior to deciding to play there? Full details:

Wrigley Nonsense.....

wrigley2x-large.jpg

wrigleyx-large.jpg

Personally, I probably would have liked to have seen this at Soldier Field or something. Some people, though, are probably more like "this is an NFL stadium. We don't need any college teams playing here." As if college teams are off-limits of NFL stadiums. It will surely be unusual the way this one will be played.

Tonight, Boise State will take on Fresno State. Not sure if it's at Boise or at Fresno. Enjoy this weekend's games!

No Oregon? No Auburn? No problem! Miscellaneous musings from Saturday:

* North Carolina State takes care of North Carolina on the road 17-10.
* Michigan takes one too many haymakers from #6 Wisconsin at home, losing 48-28 (MICH was down 24-0 at the half).
* Purdue was no match for Michigan State as the Spartans won 35-31.
* #12 Oklahoma State doesn't want turkey for Thanksgiving... they want Jayhawk instead! They won 48-14 at Kansas.
* Rice played at home and crushed the Pirates 62-38.
* A rare win for Eastern Michigan, as they won 21-17 at Buffalo.
* How about this- Georgetown actually WINS a football game! They beat Marist 14-7(?).
* Colorado tamed the Kansas State Wildcats 44-36 in Boulder.
* Dallas' SMU takes down Marshall 31-17.
* #7 Stanford hammers California 48-14. No band needed here.
* #14 Virginia Tech blows away #24 Miami 31-17 in Miami.
* #8 Ohio State survived 20-17 at #21 Iowa.
* BIG win for #18 Texas A&M! They upset the #9 Nebraska Cornhuskers in a field goal shootout- a 9-6 win.
* [Yet another] Close shave for LSU. They win 43-36 against Mississippi.
* Texas had target practice against Florida Atlantic, winning 51-17. A win against Texas A&M will make Texas bowl-eligible.
* Western Kentucky saw their winning hopes fade as Middle Tennessee State wins 27-26 on the road.
* Connecticut overrated Syracuse, beating the Orange 23-6 at the Carrier Dome.
* Houston's lackluster season continues as they fell 59-41 at Southern Mississippi.
* #16 Oklahoma punches down Baylor 53-24.
* San Diego State still sucks, but they fought valiantly by losing 38-34 to #25 Utah.

* Wrigley Field saw Illinois and Northwestern go at it with a weird set of rules for safety. Illinois won 48-27 over Northwestern.

* The New Yankee Stadium saw Army and Notre Dame play again in the Bronx. Notre Dame won 27-3 against the Black Knights.

* I don't have scores, but Division 3 powers like Ohio Northern, Mount Union, and Wisconsin-Whitewater all won their respective playoff games in the NCAA Division 3 playoffs.

Late in the year is when college football is at its best with all the rivalry games. Enjoy this upcoming holiday weekend of college football!

The misery of the University of Texas was complete as some maroon-clad guys from College Station took down Texas. I was too tired to do much of anything, so I didn't know/see the game. Here was a quote someone posted on Facebook regarding Texas' loss to Texas A&M:

"CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LONGHORN FOOTBALL TEAM FOR MAKING A JOKE OF THEIR SEASON AND THOROUGHLY EMBARRASSING ALL OF THEIR FANS!! YES YOU JUST WASTED YOUR SEASON!!" - (name undisclosed - certainly NOT me who posted this)

Texas... losing season. Don't usually go together. But, it's true. Real "Wow..." moment. Congratulations to all winners and tough luck to all losers.

What more can I say... RIVALRY WEEK! All kinds of games on and all kinds of key matchups... including Michigan at Ohio State. Enjoy today's and tonight's games!

I find it funny that Michigan State fans are cheering on Michigan so that they can get a bid to the Rose Bowl. I'm so conflicted right now, I hate Ohio State but I hate MSU too. Although I think Michigan trumps Ohio in every situation no matter what it is.

Way to go Bucks. 👍 Great job on handing it to Michigan 37 to 7. :ouch:
This deserves a script Ohio as performed by the "Best Damn Band in the Land"

There will be a 3 way tie for the Big 10 Title : Wisconsin,Ohio State,Michigan State.Going off of what the BCS is saying,it seems that Wisconsin will get the nod for the Rose Bowl. (4th quarter 12:57 to go - Wisconsin 70 , Northwestern 23) :ouch:

The most popular man in Ohio right now - Jim Tressel. He owns Michigan.

A few random thoughts...

* Careful, Nicksflix... you might have ticked off Joey D a bit more after the beating the blue and maize took in Columbus. I still find it unusual to see Ohio State with RED helmets with the unique uniforms they wore today.
* Wisconsin hammered Northwestern at home. It was 70-something to 20-something.
* Michigan State hung on to win at Penn State. The BCS Bowl representative now comes down to final BCS standings.
* North Carolina knocked off Duke (at Duke?). That's now 7 straight that UNC beat Duke in football. In basketball, either one of these two schools can win.
* Arkansas upset LSU to win the Golden Boot.
* South Florida finally beat Miami on their third try. South Florida was part of Conference USA before stepping up to the Big East.
* Grambling State beat down Southern in the Bayou Classic. It was a 38-17 beating that the Tigers put on the Southern Jaguars.
* Florida State took care of Virginia and will play Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship game. This should be a great match.
* Nebraska took good care of the Kansas Jayhawks to win the Big XII North. The Jayhawks have had a laughable season apart from the explosive one they had a few years ago where the Jayhawks were unbeaten along with Hawaii that season.

Because I was so tired after Black Friday, I missed seeing Boise State get their BCS Bowl hopes dashed at Nevada. I knew Boise State probably had to lose at some point, but they lose 33-30 on the road. TCU's decimation of New Mexico means that TCU is the last non-AQ hope for a possible BCS Bowl game or BCS National Championship game.

Congratulations to all winners and tough luck to all losers up to this point.

The uniforms worn by OSU were throwbacks from 1942.I thought they were pretty sweet.

It's all good John.It's all part of the Ohio State / Michigan rival week.In this region,Joey,other Michiganders and the OSU faithful can all attest to this,it's all about bashing the other team.It's in the news,it's in the papers,it's in e-mails.it's the talk of the street during this time of college football.It is probably one of the most bitter rivalries in college football.This is the game which Michigan and OSU fans live for,all else is secondary.It's all about beat OSU or beat Michigan.

On a side note though.I do congratulate Joey's Wolverines.They made it to a bowl game.That is something that the Michigan people have been wanting to see for 3 years.Michigan is getting better.If they can build a defense,they will be right back up there butting heads,clawing for that Big 10 Title.

Now a question for Joey (since your a Miichigander and might have an inside source).Are the rumours true that Rich Rodriguez's tenure at Michigan is over ? OSU had the same problem with coach John Cooper.He could not beat Michigan to save his ass.That put him on the hot seat and eventually ... gone.

Bring back the days of Bo and Woody.That was smash mouth football at it's best.

I wish Oregon State showed up last night. A loss by Stanford coupled with the LSU loss would have done some good in nudging the Buckeyes in the right direction to maybe jump Wisconsin in the BCS standings. It's the slimmest of chances as it is, but lessening the gap in the polls couldn't have hurt.

Now a question for Joey (since your a Miichigander and might have an inside source).Are the rumours true that Rich Rodriguez's tenure at Michigan is over ? OSU had the same problem with coach John Cooper.He could not beat Michigan to save his ass.That put him on the hot seat and eventually ... gone.

Probably, at least that's how it sounds. Rich Rod was an awful mistake and really took the team down the wrong path, I can't wait till he is no longer the head coach.

Later tonight, we'll have the new BCS rankings. It will be VERY interesting to see who all moves up after LSU and Boise State lost. I also have to see what some of the ESPN shows (like "Around the Horn" and "Pardon the Interruption") have to say about Boise State falling at Nevada and the BCS shake-up.

Now on to my man Omnis. I heard during the Oklahoma/OkSU game that Randy Shannon got fired for the close loss the 'Canes took against South Florida. I got into football in 2002. So whenever Miami lost, I thought it was like an upset (like when UNC or Duke lose in basketball). I think Miami will return to those powerhouse days, but it's still sad that patience with Randy Shannon was severely thin.

Here locally, my Cougars lost 35-20 at Texas Tech, capping off a disappointing season since our two QBs got banged up (especially when Case Keenum went down at UCLA). The only feel-good story here is Texas Southern winning the SWAC West. The Texas Southern Tigers will take on a very good Alabama State for the SWAC crown on December 11th.

Lot of conference championship games and major games this weekend. Perhaps the biggest is Auburn vs. South Carolina for the SEC Championship. An old school rivalry is also coming up- Oklahoma vs. Nebraska. Winner gets inside track on a BCS Bowl game (Fiesta Bowl, I believe). There's also the Civil War (Oregon vs. or at Oregon State). Enjoy this weekend's games, people!

Oregon wins on the road at Oregon State, and Auburn creamed South Carolina. So it looks like Auburn vs. Oregon for the title. Whether or not this will be the USCal vs. Texas title game will remain to be seen. It will still be one incredible match for these two.

Congratulations to all teams who won today's games and tonight's games. Oklahoma vs. Nebraska is on deck in a few minutes (as of the time of this post).

Latest Posts

Back