College Football 2010 - Regular Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 125 comments
U of Miami (naw...UM, or "The U") gave Pitt fits all night long.

UF gets an early bye week so I'm rooting for FAU against North Texas...For the 27 people outside FAU that care, that is. #1 Alabama is going to get their first tough test at #10 Arkansas this weekend.

Of course, Alabama is the last school to repeat. But college football squads and talent just changes so much, that it's hard to imagine a repeat, good as the Tide is.

Last edited:
Big shock right now... no, not Toledo beating Purdue, but UCLA heading into #7 Texas and beating the Longhorns' brains in- 20-3 with just under six minutes left in the third. Mack Brown's going to be pretty pissed if his boys get completely outclassed and upstaged by UCLA.

Hope you're enjoying your college football, everyone!

All the analysts were so keen on the Big Ten, saying it was an up year. It sure isn't looking that way anymore with bad losses by Minnesota and Purdue, Iowa with a little stumble, and Penn State not even showing up against 'Bama.

I am still appalled at Texas not showing up hosting UCLA. This was nothing compared to that whitewashing Texas took in 1997 or so, when they lost 66-3 (or whatever it was), but this was damned sad. I think a lot of people now really aren't sold on Texas and think Oklahoma will just run over Texas like a big rig truck on a rampage.

Michigan's looking REAL good as they're unbeaten. Here are some other schools that are looking good so far: North Carolina State, Alabama, Florida, Boise State, Kansas State, UTEP, Utah, LSU, Temple, and TCU among others.

What teams are looking like crap? Notre Dame has fallen on their faces a number of times, losing to both Michigan and Michigan State. Virginia Tech has disappointed, but they're unbeaten in ACC play. I hate to mention them, but Minnesota is 1-3 overall. I'm also disappointed in Georgia.

Speaking of Michigan, I'm glad Denard Robinson is okay after taking a little spill. The remainder of Michigan's schedule are all Big Ten games. The Big Ten action starts at Indiana for the blue and maize. Their home opener for Big Ten play is against that other Michigan team- Michigan State. I think Michigan WILL be in a Bowl game this season unless they somehow stink it up in conference play (which I don't see happening). Key games for Michigan (to me) include them hosting Iowa (Oct. 16), at Penn State (Oct. 30), hosting Wisconsin (Nov. 20), and at Ohio State (Nov. 27). I think Michigan will win at least seven games to close out the regular season. They're going to a Bowl game. Maybe not a BCS bowl, but I think they'll certainly start a new winning season streak.

Michigan is only undefeated because they haven't really had any competition other than Nortre Dame. They'll make it to a bowl game but I'm not sure which one, I need to watch a couple more games. I'd love to see them at least in the Rose Bowl this year though, it's been too long.

Michigan is only undefeated because they haven't really had any competition

None of the Big 10 has,as of yet.

As John stated,conference play starts this upcoming weekend.This is where it will become stand or fall time.I'll give you this Joey,Denard Robinson has my attention.He may be the spark that your big blue machine has been looking for.

Denard Robinson is a huge mistake. You can't have one guy do it all because if he gets hurts then the entire team is screwed. I love watching him play and he is incredible at what he does, but that's not the sort of strategy you want. Every team in the Big 10 know all the plays...it goes to Robinson.

I am still appalled at Texas not showing up hosting UCLA. This was nothing compared to that whitewashing Texas took in 1997 or so, when they lost 66-3 (or whatever it was), but this was damned sad. I think a lot of people now really aren't sold on Texas and think Oklahoma will just run over Texas like a big rig truck on a rampage.

Don't think so. Oklahoma isn't that great either. They've been having trouble with some teams that aren't very good.

As a big longhorn fan I've been very worried about this season, and none of our first three games put that worry to bed for me (obviously game 4 validated the concerns). We're struggling right now with some bad offensive coaching. Greg Davis, and Mac McWhorter are pretty much killing us. Garret Gilbert obviously has an arm and, despite being young and making some rookie mistakes, can win games for us. We've got some OK receiving threats and are developing some new talent (Davis). We've even got some ok running backs (Newton and Whittaker). But our o-line is sloppy, extremely sloppy, and it almost cost us the game against Texas Tech. Another big issue with the o-line is the inability to open holes for the run game.

This is a team that hasn't done anything but pass protect since 2003. Our running game was Vince Young, and it was Colt McCoy. We'd pass protect for those guys, and if nobody was open, they'd scramble for a decent run. It kept the defense honest, and opened the pass. No matter what play was called, they had to be ready for a scramble. Our o-line developed some good pass protecting (and they still are decent at that), but we stink at run blocking.

We've been lulled into complacency in a lot of areas and I'm hoping that the UCLA loss will kick our coaches in the teeth and get them to take things seriously again. I don't see a big problem on defense - Muschamp is more than capable of fixing our problems against the run, but it's going to be a tougher job since our offense can't simulate a good running team for them in practice.

Bottom line, our offensive coaches have failed to adapt to the kinds of athletes they have, and have gotten entirely too spoiled by seniors who know how to play disciplined football, and forgot to instill fundamentals.

I'm not sure we have problems that can't be fixed in one week (playcalling specifically) - at least fixed well enough to beat Oklahoma. But it all depends on how our coaches react. If they don't diagnose the problem correctly, don't take this to heart, decide that UCLA is underrated or something similarly stupid, we could end up with the same crappy philosophy against OU and we will lose badly.

Did you guys watch the ASU game? That kid Vontaze Burfict is a freaking baller. He's not the brightest tool in the shed (see what I did there?), but he is a machine of a linebacker.

A few random notes...

* Texas went from #7... all the way to #21 according to the latest polls. Ouch! The voting seems justified if you saw just how many mistakes Texas made on offense. I just wasn't expecting this far a drop. Either Texas isn't all that good this season, or this loss was really demoralizing (and it is).

* I noted Kentucky had a chance to take down Florida. Well, they got spanked 48-14 (or whatever it was). It must have been a while since UK beat UF.

* My Houston Cougars rebounded nicely by taking down Tulane after their ugly loss at UCLA.

Well, that's all from me. Any teams and players you are impressed or unimpressed with?

I was impressed by Bama and Boise State. I hope the Ohio State or Bama stumbles somewhere along the way so that Boise State can sneak into the championship. I would love for them to win the whole if no other reason than to make the big boys upset.

* i noted kentucky had a chance to take down florida. Well, they got spanked 48-14 (or whatever it was). It must have been a while since uk beat uf

EDIT: And before you wonder the same about Tennessee: 1984.

Here are some of this weekend's games, including tonight's match:

* Texas A&M at Oklahoma State (tonight!)
* BYU at Utah State (Friday Night)

The rest are all Saturday matches:
* #9 Stanford at #4 Oregon (my pick for "GAME OF THE WEEK")
* Texas vs. Oklahoma
* Florida State at Virginia
* #16 Miami at Clemson
* Northwestern at Minnesota
* #2 Ohio State at Illinois
* Kentucky at Mississippi
* #5 TCU at Colorado State
* Navy at Air Force
* Virginia Tech at #23 North Carolina State
* #11 Wisconsin at #24 Michigan State
* #19 Michigan at Indiana
* Washington State at UCLA
* Tennessee at LSU
* UTEP at New Mexico
* Louisville at Arkansas State
* Georgia Tech at Wake Forest
* Washington at #18 USCal
* #7 Florida at #1 Alabama
* #22 Penn State at #17 Iowa
* Louisiana Tech at Hawaii

Enjoy this weekend's games! For me, this is Petit Le Mans weekend, so I may not be able to check out most of these games or follow scores for them. I may catch some of the night games in progress, though. This should be a great weekend since a lot of teams are unbeaten up to this point.

Gophers are terrible!!!!!!!

They had the win, all they had to do was hold them and than burn out the clock, but what do they do instead? They let them get a TD to put them within a point and than let them get it again after that to get a field goal to win the thing. Than to top it off they throw an interception to secure the loss.

If Brewster doesn't get fired after this season I will have lost faith in the Gophers football program.

#4 Oregonvs #9 Stanford will be quite the showdown tonight! Two undefeated teams going to battle at Autzen Stadium, home of the Ducks. Ducks are favored by 7. Will you watch?

What is it with my Buckeyes when they play Illinois?!? Another tough game that really shouldn't have been. A win is a win I guess. I just hope Pryor can heal up over the week and be ready for next Saturday.

I'm still watching Petit Le Mans. But when the race is over, I'll definitely alternate between Stanford at Oregon and Florida at Alabama.

Now some random rumblings...

* I did see Texas lose to Oklahoma earlier today.
* I also saw the big win for Tulane in beating Rutgers.
* Great win for Virginia Tech at N.C. State.
* Miami with a nice win at Clemson.
* High-scoring match, but Kentucky came out on the losing end at Mississippi.

Congratulations to all other game winners from today's and tonight's games!

Denard Robinson just went nuts again today. The blue and maize took down the Hoosiers on a late game-winning touchdown. He would easily win the Heisman if the Heisman was awarded at the middle of the season. Of course, if D-Rob (is it okay to nickname him that?) keeps up this performance, he'll get the Heisman regardless. The other three guys in the Heisman running would just get themselves a free trip to New York City congratulating Denard Robinson.

More ramblings...
* Recently, Washington upset USCal in Los Angeles. This will set up a very interesting match next Saturday as USCal plays at Stanford in this SoCal vs. NorCal match.

* Kansas should be ashamed of themselves, losing big at Baylor. The Jayhawks were put down hard by the Baylor Bears to the tune of a 55-7 beat down. Good luck pulling that beat down next Saturday when Baylor goes up to Texas Tech.

* I mentioned earlier about Tulane beating Rutgers. Well, there was a moment of silence to remember a Rutgers student who killed himself. After hearing of that, it just makes Rutgers' loss today that much worse to accept.

* Surely by now, you've seen the end of the Tennessee at LSU game. That junk was CRAZY! And if you can believe it, Tennessee is 0-2 to start SEC play for the third straight season.

* There is a song called "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." Well, if that's true, then the Georgia Bulldogs must have been exorcised as they lost at Colorado in a close game. The Dawgs are now 1-3 on the season. Georgia men's basketball is supposed to be sorry, NOT Georgia football. They've disappointed in the worst way so far this season. They are 1-4 on the season and 0-3 in SEC play.

* Both Boise State and TCU went on the road, smashing and blanking their opposition. The Boise State Broncos blanked sorry New Mexico State 59-0, and TCU blanked Colorado State 27-0.

That's all I wanted to highlight on for this post.

Florida demonstrated today why college football sucks.

What is it with my Buckeyes when they play Illinois?!? Another tough game that really shouldn't have been. A win is a win I guess. I just hope Pryor can heal up over the week and be ready for next Saturday.

He'll be ready,no worries. This was a pathetic win by the Buckeyes,it should have never been that close.Come Monday it's going to be interesting what the BCS has to say about who belongs in the #2 spot.Could Boise State and / or Oregon jump in front of O.S.U. ? They did what the BCS likes to see - a dismantling of the opponent.

On another Big 10 note,the Wolverines are 5-0,wow.Joey has got to be happy. It was a game where both teams said "defense ... aaaahhhh,who needs it". :lol:

Michigan's for real, but what about when their best friends at Michigan State want to play some football this coming weekend? Like I said earlier... I think Michigan's going to be just fine (unless they just stink it up the rest of the season). Michigan's resurgence in football this season after two or three lackluster seasons is almost like Kentucky's resurgence this past season in men's basketball.

Are there any teams and/or players you're impressed with or unimpressed with?

It looks like Oregon leapfrogged Boise State in the polls. Schools like Texas and Penn State are out of the Top 25. The AP has four new teams that were unranked last week: #22 Oklahoma State, #23 Florida State, #24 Missouri, and #25 Air Force. We're now knee-deep into the real meat of the college football season. Not as many big schools against cupcakes. Time for the conference games to really take effect.

If you love college football, you know it's game on now! Here is a preview of some of this weekend's games:

* Central Florida at Marshall (WEDNESDAY NIGHT)
* #6 Nebraska at Kansas State (THURSDAY NIGHT)
* Connecticut at Rutgers (FRIDAY NIGHT)
* Minnesota at Wisconsin
* Boston College at #22 North Carolina State
* #1 Alabama at #20 South Carolina
* #8 Auburn at Kentucky
* USCal at #9 Stanford
* Florida State at #16 Miami

College football may not be as glamourous or with superb talent as the pros. But then again, for most people, it's football. This is basically stars of the future playing like there's no tomorrow. Some will go on to the pros (not necessarily the NFL), but these boys are balancing education with tackling the crap out of the other team when it's game day or game night.

And by the way... LSU got REAL lucky on Saturday. They could have easily upset themselves. Why didn't they spike the ball or something with time running down (unless it was 4th Down)? LSU got lucky, but not to take anything away from the rebuilding Tennessee Volunteers.

Big Sooner fan here so I was happy to beat Texas and, at the same time disappointed with the way OU played in the 2nd half. Still 5-0 is nothing to scoff at.

Another thing I noticed this weekend was that Les Miles (LSU) has got to be the luckiest coach in all of Div. 1.

And just a random thought to finish this post. Bama looks likely to undefeated, Ohio State might not drop one this year like usual, and Oregons offense seems to be a well oiled machine that I could see going thru the Pac-10 undefeated. This alone could make a mess of the BCS and the championship game. But wait theres more.

Oklahoma could squeak thru the Big XII with Texas in the rearview and TT not looking strong at all. Throw in TCU and Boise St. both with few realistic challenges left on the secdhule.

If a season that ends with 6 undefeated teams doesn't scream hat the BCS needs to be changed to a playoff system nothing will.

I can't believe Michigan lost to State. :( It will be interesting to see where Boise St is ranked on Monday following Bama's loss. I think they probably won't move at all.

kjb
I can't believe Michigan lost to State. :( It will be interesting to see where Boise St is ranked on Monday following Bama's loss. I think they probably won't move at all.

Really? Because Michigan's defence sucks. I'm surprised they didn't walked on more and I'm even more surprised they were undefeated till now.

kjb

It's not hard to believe why. You cannot be a 1 dimensional team like Michigan is.A "for real" team is dimensional on both sides of the ball. It's sad,because Michigan's offense can run with just about anybody.The defense,well,they came into today's game ranked 102nd out of 120.That's not going to fair to well as they are now into the heart of conference play.However,on a bright spot for the Wolverines,if they win just 1 more game,they are bowl eligible.

Boise State's BCS ranking will come in at #3,my O.S.U. Buckeye's will be ranked #1,Oregon will come in at a close #2,TCU will come in at #4.

The real question is this.How far will Alabama fall in the rankings after getting knocked off by # 19 South Carolina ?

Go Bucks !

1-11 here we come.:grumpy:

Although I have officially lost what little respect I had left for Wisconsin.

Back