• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 422 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
College football makes a return for GTPlanet. With fears of the NFL lockout and such, some pro football fans fear they'll need to be college football fans if there's no season for 2011. Those used to college gridiron action aren't missing anything. Let the bands play. Let the fans get rowdy. College football is back!

I usually do a preseason and postseason thread, but this is purely for all 2011 season action. The big deal this offseason has been the dark clouds surrounding THE Ohio State University. No Tressel. No T. Pryor. Feel free to comment on this and any other college football material, even including the University of Texas-San Antonio starting up football this season.

Let's talk college football, again!

If the NFL lockout means the season is finished (we won't know that for sure for a couple of months), I wonder if some schools/conferences will push for Sunday games to distance themselves for TV time. On the other hand, it might be a mess with travel schedules, lodging, Top 25 reports, et cetera.

Is the University of Texas-San Antonio going to be called UTSA or just TSA? Surely by calling themselves TSA, nobody is allowed more than 3 ounces of liquid on the sidelines...

Hey, I can't wait...finally Ohio State won't be so overrated in the polls early on.

UTSA (they are nicknamed the Roadrunners, the same mascot of my elementary school) more than likely, and I heard about the possibility of Sunday Night college football. It would seem understandable from a TV standpoint. Thursday Night for college is like Monday Night for the NFL. There are Sunday night games, but usually are for non-BCS schools. There are no BCS school Sunday night games unless it's early in the season.

As for Ohio State, I wonder if this is Michigan's best chance in years to finally overtake and run laps around Ohio State (so to speak).

Hey, I can't wait...finally Ohio State won't be so overrated in the polls early on.

Without Jim Tressel at the helm,it could be a long year here in Buckeye Land.I think (hope) the Buckeyes will be alright this year,we really did not lose a whole lot,but come next year ......... and right now Joey and his Wolverines are licking their chops trying to get back some respect that the've lost during the Tressel era.

On another note,Nebraska,welcome to the Big 10. This could get real good.

It will be tough for Ohio State, but I am not predicting them to fall apart like some car that would run in the 24 Hours of LeMons. Ohio State just reloads rather than rebuild. It will be a tough task for the Buckeyes this season, but I don't think it will be too rough for them. As for Nebraska in the Big Ten, they are going to be pretty fun to watch taking on the teams of the Big Ten. I still miss the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry as a Big XII rivalry. I hope they can still keep playing.

On July 1, 2011; the Pac-10 dies and is reborn as the Pac-12. How will you remember the Pac-10?

Guess who I'm rooting for?
:P
Should be an interesting season with a new coach.
Most likely a completely new playbook, line up, and playing style...

gogatrs
Guess who I'm rooting for?
:P
Should be an interesting season with a new coach.
Most likely a completely new playbook, line up, and playing style...

Brantley better step it up this year; I guess Gator Nation's been a little spoiled by the QB department for the past 20 years, since it was the Wuerfel House.

I like the new coach, doesn't talk like Ron Dennis...um, I mean, Urban Meyer and doesn't seem as cocky as Spurrier. Of course, both are patron saints in Gainesville, so that's as far as I'll criticize them.

THIS JUST IN...

...THE Ohio State, in the wake of their allegations, have vacated all 12 wins from the 2010 season. Man... things just going from bad to worse for this proud program. By the way, these are self-imposed sanctions. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN...

...THE Ohio State, in the wake of their allegations, have vacated all 12 wins from the 2010 season. Man... things just going from bad to worse for this proud program. By the way, these are self-imposed sanctions. Any thoughts?

They are also giving back the Sugar Bowl trophy and on probation for 2 years(which I believe that means no bowl games for 2 years if I'm not mistaken).

They need to quit self-imposing things. For some reason I feel the NCAA is still going to 🤬 OSU anyway.

This whole thing just pisses me off.:lol: Does the NCAA really think that most colleges, or at least the high profile ones don't pay players or give incentives? Come on. The NCAA makes millions off all these players every year without any remorse.👎

Baaahh, oh well. Should be an interesting season for the ol' Buckeyes.

This whole thing just pisses me off.:lol: Does the NCAA really think that most colleges, or at least the high profile ones don't pay players or give incentives? Come on. The NCAA makes millions off all these players every year without any remorse.👎

Seems they are starting to crack down on it, first was USC than OSU and now both Oregon and Boise are supposedly under investigation.

I do feel the players should get something though, I understand banning these types of things during the recruiting process but once they sign they should receive some compensation(make it set by the NCAA though).

Gophers will suck, will be lucky if they even get into a bowl.

I HAVE to bring this up. A High School recruit, Kyle Kalis, switches commitment from Ohio State to Michigan. One reason he suggested was because he felt like he couldn't take penalties for something he never did with all the trouble surrounding THE Ohio State University. Ohio State and Michigan aren't exactly best friends (mildly speaking). If Kalis plays like an All-American or All-Conference player at Michigan, then Ohio State will probably feel like crap, more than they do now.

Source: ESPN's "College Football Live."

^
Not surprising at all,and there will be more.

In wake of the "self imposed" sanctions,this does not keep the Bucks out of a bowl game this season and / or any upcoming season.It does not include any loss of scholarships as well.However,in the future,the NCAA just might have something to say about this type of self imposed infraction.Let's ride this one out and see what happens.

Cleveland.com article

and from the

Big 10 Network

It's going to tough to be an OSU fan this year,and for a few more to come after this set of events.

Seems they are starting to crack down on it, first was USC than OSU and now both Oregon and Boise are supposedly under investigation.

I do feel the players should get something though
, I understand banning these types of things during the recruiting process but once they sign they should receive some compensation(make it set by the NCAA though).

Gophers will suck, will be lucky if they even get into a bowl.

Isn't their 4 year, 100-150k free education enough? I know not all these guys are on scholarship, but c'mon man.

Penn State fan here, and I've not enjoyed anything as much(ok, I exaggerate) as I have the last few months at THE Ohio State. Big welcome to Nebraska, I still haven't forgotten the National Championship they stole from Penn State back in '94, but can't wait to start up a nice rivalry with them.

Last edited:
GTVirtuoso
Isn't their 4 year, 100-150k free education enough? I know not all these guys are on scholarship, but c'mon man.

I can't speak from experience but a good friend of mine had a full ride for hockey to Notre Dame and another (girl) a full ride to Tennesse for soccer and yes the education is great but because of team demands (football is worse) they literally don't have time to work. How do you afford extra food, a car, and trips home to see family. Most of these player's families can't afford to send all that money to them.

They deserve compensation.

Considering you can't buy anything with a scholarship(it's not like a house or car where you can borrow against it), no, it's not enough.

I'm not saying they should be making pro money, but 10K/year shouldn't be an outrageous amount to ask for considering how much they make for the schools.

I can't speak from experience but a good friend of mine had a full ride for hockey to Notre Dame and another (girl) a full ride to Tennesse for soccer and yes the education is great but because of team demands (football is worse) they literally don't have time to work. How do you afford extra food, a car, and trips home to see family. Most of these player's families can't afford to send all that money to them.

They deserve compensation.

I definitely understand the other side of the argument, but I'm not buying it.
Maybe the schools could set up some kind of fund for the players, or maybe write something into the scholarships where they can get a little money to buy food, dorm room needs, or travel to see family. I get that. But there are a lot of families out there with smart and deserving children who can't afford to send their children to school at all. These guys come in and take up an enrollment spot that could have gone to someone who may one day have the chance to change the world. And we've all seen how some of these players take such great advantage of the free education they're getting(sarcasm). Just listen to some of the pre and post game interviews a lot of them are struggling to mumble and mutter. Just my opinion though, not saying I'm right....

Last edited:
Do you know how many of college sports players actually have any sort of scholarship to play? Not all of them. Not every kid there is there on a full ride.

Do you know how many of college sports players actually have any sort of scholarship to play? Not all of them. Not every kid there is there on a full ride.

Penn State fan here, and I've not enjoyed anything as much(ok, I exaggerate) as I have the last few months at THE Ohio State. Big welcome to Nebraska, I still haven't forgotten the National Championship they stole from Penn State back in '94, but can't wait to start up a nice rivalry with them.

My original post

How about East Carolina? 👍 I know I will be in the very vast minority here haha, but we should have a pretty decent team this year. Dominique Davis is back after a career season, second in passing yards and touchdowns only to Cam Newton, and our receiving corps should be fairly strong, even with the loss of our star receiver, Dwayne Harris, to the Dallas Cowboys. My only worry is our flimsy defense from last season not repairing itself :grumpy:.

Never really cared about college football because I had, of course, not gone to a college that had a team. Well, now I do, so I guess that makes me a Noles fan. FSU is supposed to have the best recruiting class this year. Let's see if they can put something together in the next two.

Omnis
Never really cared about college football because I had, of course, not gone to a college that had a team. Well, now I do, so I guess that makes me a Noles fan. FSU is supposed to have the best recruiting class this year. Let's see if they can put something together in the next two.

Florida State has a pretty stadium, and I love the tradition. East Carolina is more of a party school, and that makes tailgating all the more fun. Winning has also been nice lately, about 10 years ago we were terrible. We had a 3 year stretch of going 1-10, 2-9, and 1-10. You at least had a lot of empty leg room at the stadium 👍.

I can show love for East Carolina. After all, I'm a fan of a Conference USA school (U. of Houston), so what's wrong with another C-USA school post? East Carolina is usually a pretty good school year after year. I am usually impartial to Central Florida and UAB as far as C-USA East schools are concerned. I probably feel that East Carolina will need to take down schools like UAB and UCF to make some significant noise in their division of Conference USA. Can ECU WIN C-USA? Well, it's going to be tough. I'm hopeful my Houston Cougars could have one more lovely season with Case Keenum under center for the Coogs. Who knows? Maybe the C-USA final will come down to Houston vs. ECU.

I have great respect for Florida State, though I do sometimes knock them for fun for their field goal kicking. Florida State is almost always a contender every season in the ACC and even nationally. This season will be no different to me. That's even if people think the ACC is a weak sauce conference compared to the other BCS conferences. The Seminoles just have to handle their business and play to win, and they'll be just fine this season.

JohnBM01
I can show love for East Carolina. After all, I'm a fan of a Conference USA school (U. of Houston), so what's wrong with another C-USA school post? East Carolina is usually a pretty good school year after year. I am usually impartial to Central Florida and UAB as far as C-USA East schools are concerned. I probably feel that East Carolina will need to take down schools like UAB and UCF to make some significant noise in their division of Conference USA. Can ECU WIN C-USA? Well, it's going to be tough. I'm hopeful my Houston Cougars could have one more lovely season with Case Keenum under center for the Coogs. Who knows? Maybe the C-USA final will come down to Houston vs. ECU.

Ah, it should be an interesting season my friend 👍. We have a very bad habit of winning games we are supposed to lose by 40, and losing games we are supposed to win by 40. If you remember, a couple of years ago, we beat Virginia Tech and West Virginia the first two games of the season, and got up to #14 in the polls. Then after starting 3-0, we then proceeded to drop 3 in a row, one of which was a pitiful loss to NC State in Raleigh which would have put us at 4-0 and even higher in the BCS buster talks. One of those three losses was Houston actually. And on the Case Keenum subject, I like him, I wish him the best of luck, but I've never seen an outstanding 6th year quarterback. We had Patrick Pinkney a couple years back and everyone was really hyped up about him, and he laid a huge egg that year. But that's just my two cents, sorry for the long post!

I like the new coach-- he's got a cool personality and seems like a winner. What's his name? Bubba Gump or some redneckish name like that? :lol: Maybe they'll pay me to ride the bench once they see me. Psyche though... my ankles are bad enough.

edit: Oh, right, Jimbo Fisher.

GTVirtuoso
My original post

What does your original have to do with anything? Your saying that the full ride is enough to compensate them. I'm saying not all of them are there on those full rides yet the time demands are equal. Scholarships are not enough.

My original post

What does your original have to do with anything? Your saying that the full ride is enough to compensate them. I'm saying not all of them are there on those full rides yet the time demands are equal. Scholarships are not enough.

Apparently you never read my original post thoroughly. I stated that I know not all of them are on scholarship. Hence, my original post comment when you asked if I knew how many of them were. Any player deserving compensation for playing ball in college is there on a full ride or at least a partial scholarship. And most have the opportunity to gain a scholarship. Anyway...I'm not really trying to have a heated argument on the subject of players getting paid, I was just stating my opinion that I think their free education is enough. A free education that most of them do not take advantage of. But I know, it's so hard being the big man on campus and not being able to run around and do whatever you like with all kinds of money in your pocket. God forbid you have to do it broke. It's sooo tough being a college athlete/professional athlete these days. :(

I'm not advocating that we cry over college athletes, but it is a bit of a double standard if a corporate sponsor allows students to have a meal or a gift, in exchange for nothing more than name recognition. Yet an athlete on a team can't get the same benefit if the gift (even if it's food) is in excess if $20. Granted, the typical or average athlete isn't getting a free ride, but only the cream if the crop are, and obviously to woo them for their future consideration in business matters. Still...it's a double standard, all other things being equal.

It seems like the rash of issues and penalties have now impacted another school... the Georgia Institute of Technology, better known as Georgia Tech. Courtesy of Yahoo! Sports:

"ATLANTA—— The NCAA announced the finding from a probe of the Georgia Tech football and basketball programs relating to issues involving players from the 2009 ACC Championship and improper basketball recruiting under former Head Coach Paul Hewitt. The news was not good for the Yellow Jacket faithful and the NCAA is looking for the football program to vacate the 2009 ACC Championship.
The Yellow Jackets are facing four-years of probation, a loss of their 2009 football ACC title, limitations of their basketball official visits to 10 for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons, and a loss of two recruiting days. Georgia Tech will be on probation from July 14, 2011 to July 13, 2015. Georgia Tech also received a $100,000 fine."

The rest of the article: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=rivals-1240453

Guys, how many more times is the NCAA going to strike down on these schools? Whoever may be next is almost as good of a guess as mine.

Back