College Football 2011 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 422 comments
LSU is also under the scope for recruiting violations in 2009. This is unrelated to the LSU and Oregon case that is being looked into with that recruiting service in Texas.

New preseason coaches' poll is out. Here are the Top 25:

1. Oklahoma (42)

2. Alabama (13)

3. Oregon (2)

4. LSU (2)

5. Florida State

6. Stanford

7. Boise State

8. Oklahoma State

9. Texas A&M

10. Wisconsin

11. Nebraska

12. South Carolina

13. Virginia Tech

14. Arkansas

15. TCU

16. Ohio State

17. Michigan State

18. Notre Dame

19. Auburn

20. Mississippi State

21. Missouri

22. Georgia

23. Florida

24. Texas

25. Penn State​

Surprisingly, FSU is #5. I expected them to be Top 10, but not Top 5. That must mean they're pretty legit. Hopefully that QB is legit. If he's not, I'll pay him a visit. FSU basically needs to beat OU if they want to have any kind of a season. If they lose at home I think it'll deflate the campus a lot.

Anyway, I thought Stanford would be #4. They never get any love. Should be interesting to see how things change.

Mississippi State? Good for them! The best part about college football is the feel good stories that happen every year, and that sounds like a good one. I hope they can make some noise in that SEC West 👍. And South Carolina is ranked number 12, I like it. Everyone keep an eye on East Carolina, we play them opening weekend at a neutral site (last neutral game was the beginning of the year we got up to #14 :D). Although we are considerably worse than that year, so hopefully we can get some of the magic we need to Paint it Purple 👍.

gogatrs
Ugh, Ohio State STILL overrated.

I have a feeling they'll be able to pull out a Capitol One Bowl/Outback Bowl kind of year, which for a big name school like them will only require 8 or 9 wins. They could finish the season ranked if they play their cards right.

ECU just got a positive mention on College Football Live! They were running a bit on South Carolina, and gave some references to our early season upset magic :). I sure hope me and the guys will have something to cheer for at the stadium for the first four weeks, all home/neutral games.

Texas A&M will be joining the SEC, possibly as early as Monday. Clemson, FSU, and Missouri could possibly follow.

Missouri's AD denied that statement. And I highly doubt anyone except A&M will make it in. Florida definitely does not want FSU in the SEC, and South Carolina wouldn't be a fan of Clemson joining them as well.

On the subject of conference realignment however, don't you think the Big East would love a fairly consistent, upset capable team from C-USA to add to that slender 8-team list? ;)

EDIT: Clemson's president just confirmed that they have had no contact with the SEC and are committed to the ACC.

Last edited:
Sad to see Texas A&M go from the Big XII to the SEC. I don't really like TAMU's chances in the SEC, but I'm probably sure the big reason why the move was made was probably for money. For all I care, they could have made a new-age Southwest Conference with Houston, SMU, Texas A&M, and schools like that. The real casualty for Texas A&M would be the good old Lone Star Showdown (Texas vs. Texas A&M). Now, that game will be like Clemson vs. South Carolina or Florida vs. Florida State in the sense of a late non-conference, in-state rivalry. But again- best wishes to Texas A&M in the SEC. They're going to have to do a whole lot to be competitive in SEC football.

When I first got into college football (and football in general) in 2002, I had to learn my schools and my conferences. I had thought that Clemson was an SEC school back then. Clemson is probably not a strong future possibility to be in the SEC. • Imagine Florida State joining Florida in the SEC. That would be chaotic in trying to determine who's the better SEC team in the Sunshine State. • Missouri to the SEC makes as sense to me regionally as Louisiana Tech in the WAC. I mean, if Missouri were to change conferences, they may be better off in a conference like... I don't know, the Big Ten?

NCAA Division 2 probably started up or will start up soon since they go before any of the other divisions play ball. I'm looking forward to the LSU vs. Oregon matchup as well as Boise State vs. Georgia.

@CAMjhr. Someone else is probably going to go to the SEC. Maybe its FSU or some other team, but it wouldnt be logical to have a 13 team conference with uneven divisions.

cullenand
@CAMjhr. Someone else is probably going to go to the SEC. Maybe its FSU or some other team, but it wouldnt be logical to have a 13 team conference with uneven divisions.

I'm not saying that won't happen, but there are other choices. FSU is the last of the current list to remain a possibility. A good possibility in my mind would be a smaller, continuously successful non BCS school. I'm not gonna say ECU because we haven't been consistent for long, but a couple of good ideas could possibly be pass happy Houston or maybe Troy. Obviously, they'd need facility upgrades (their buildings are not impressive), but they have consistent programs.

You shouldn't double post, and try to use proper capitalization and punctuation when you can. And there are many "U of M's" in America, and seeing as your location is Hawaii, it's hard to tell which one. May I ask if you are a U of Michigan, U of Montana, U of Maryland (I hope not, after the trouncing they put on my Pirates in the bowl game last season), or a U of Missouri fan? Or any other U of M I may have missed.

Ah, an old friend of mine was a big Michigan fan. I like them better than Ohio State.

Texas A&M was just declined an invite to the SEC. I suppose they wouldn't have a 14th member, since they haven't ruled out inviting them in the future.

Yep. No invite for TAMU, but I wouldn't be surprised if Aggieland doesn't eventually join the SEC. I am now starting to imagine what it would be like if Florida State joined the SEC. I know it's Florida State and Clemson also being considered for SEC expansion. I think if Texas A&M joins, either FlSU or Clemson should join to even out the array of teams. Heck... having this 14-team deal would make SEC football more like Big East basketball with so many teams.

Locally, this would have opened the door for the University of Houston to join the Big XII had Texas A&M fully joined the SEC and were allowed into the SEC. Lots more to digest from this deal once everything settles down.

As long as the Big East doesn't pick up anyone else, I'm good. ECU needs that spot. :lol:

Miami looks to be in some deeeeep water. Nevin Shapiro claims he gave benefits (prostitutes, club outings, money, cars, jewelry, rewards for injuring opposing players) to 72 players from 2002-10. ESPN is saying if all this proves true, we may have another Death Penalty on our hands. I can't help but feel bad for Al Golden, he's done nothing but good at Temple and now he gets thrown into this situation. Sad.

The "death penalty" only occurs if you're completely uncooperative with the NCAA. The only team I can think of that received that was SMU in the mid-'80s.

I like how a scumbag suddenly wants to remain in the news by singing like bird when he's caught...what a jerk. But from what ESPN also reported, many if these offences are over four years ago, outside the statute of limitations for NCAA violations.

Not necessarily, the rules have changed a tad since that SMU Pony Express team. ESPN's logic (which I agree with) is that the NCAA needs to make a statement to the delinquent teams around the country (USC, UNC, Ohio State) by really dropping the hammer on someone, preferably someone big or that has been big. Miami is the perfect example. It's more of the NCAA showing that they are still in control by using it (if Miami is guilty), since things have gotten out of control.

I love how hard our administration at ECU is trying to get us into the Big East, or any BCS conference 👍. Check this website out, so much passion :D. I sit in the bottom deck (in the video frame), I cannot wait for September 10!

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only one who posts in this thread anymore. Eleven days until ECU kickoff! This video gets played at the stadium right after the opposing team enters and right before the Pirates come in, sends shivers up my spine everytime!

And, if you're curious about my user title, this will explain it (I know its from '07, but they still play this one :)).

Last edited:
Kind of just holding my breath, at this point! Soooo much else going on right now.

I am somewhat curious as to how San Diego State will play out their 2011 season. SDSU has gone from pathetic to pretty good. I want to see if they can hang with some of the better Mountain West talent.

Among the big schools, I'm looking forward to games like LSU vs. Oregon, Boise State vs. Georgia, and even Miami vs. Maryland. What big matches are some of you all looking forward to this season?

I haven't looked into any specific match ups so far, but I do know fellow C-USA member Tulsa is taking on #1 Oklahoma during Opening Week, I'll be interested to see how they fare. ECU starts off with the #12 and #13 teams in the nation, but we get South Carolina in Charlotte and Virginia Tech here in Pirate Nation, which surprised me, honestly. We have a conference game against UAB before taking on UNC, whom we are not fond of.

Around the nation, I'm very interested to see how Washington fares without Jake Locker under center, how well Matt Barkley does for Southern Cal, how conference mates UCF and Southern Miss respond to getting votes in national polls, and the SEC will pan out with so many superstars vacating to play in the NFL.

Jarrett Lee will be the starting quarterback for LSU following Jordan Jefferson's arrest. Too bad Jordan didnt live up to the hype that he was given when he committed to LSU. I remember going to every game his senior year in high school when Destrehan won the 5A Louisiana State Championship. Keep an eye on Jordans brother Rickey who plays wide reciever. Last year,his sophomore year ,he was scouted by LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Houston, Pitt, and a few other teams. He is much better than I remember Jordan to be, I see a bright future for Rickey.

Last edited:
A LSU fan asked the head coach on the LSU call-in show this:

Fan: Hey coach, two questions. First, are you expecting any suspensions from the bar fight?

Coach: We aren't discussing that at this time.

Fan: Okay, second. Are you thinking about moving Jefferson to punter? (Jefferson kicked a man in the head at a bar, for those who don't know the story.)

Coach: ... No, we are not.

:lol:

Five days until kickoff, I'm so excited!

College football has basically already started... if you follow NCAA Division 2. Most of the rest of NCAA football will start up this weekend. A very good first weekend of action will be coming up. Enjoy this weekend's games starting with some of the great non-conference matches.

And can you believe it? ESPN College Gameday will celebrate its 25th Season this season. Happy silver anniversary to the #1 college football show on TV (at least in my view).

Back