College Football 2011 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 422 comments
Louisville and someone (Murray State, possibly?) play on Thursday night to kick off the D1 campaign đź‘Ť.

Texas A&M will play their last season in the Big XII this coming season. With the negotiations and such to be made, the SEC will be the Aggies' new home. They will leave the Big XII on July 1, 2012. What do you fans make of this?

sec2.jpg

Censor bypass of the F-word on this one

sec4.jpg

sec5.jpg

sec6.jpg

sec7.jpg

What do you fans make of this?

Why?

Not why are you asking, but why are they doing it. Regardless of how well they do they will still be overshadowed by Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia etc....

At least in the Big 12 they only had to compete with Texas, Nebraska(prior to this year), Oklahoma and occasionally Oklahoma State for the spotlight.

Not why are you asking, but why are they doing it. Regardless of how well they do they will still be overshadowed by Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia etc....

Which makes me wonder why any team would want to join the SEC, not because it's essentially the premier* conference of the NCAA, but if the Big Twelve is still a BCS conference, why pass up the chance for a BCS-paying bowl, since others are leaving or have already left? I don't get it, although having a proposed 16 teams in the SEC would be massive.

Bragging rights, I suppose. Your team's bus ride for every out-of-division away-game is a toughie, if you're Texas A&M.

* = Okay, some bias here. But how can you not say that when they have the last five titles?

I was at this game last season:

10-season-gallery-full-03.jpg

Looking for big years out of these guys, especially the second one:

cierre-wood.jpg

theo-riddick-rb.jpg

Expect Theo Riddick to turn into the South Bend version of Percy Harvin this season!

Alright, players... college football (at least on levels other than NCAA Division 2) is back this weekend! Get psyched! Can't wait for all the games coming up this weekend.

Rossticles
This TCU v. Baylor game is ridiculous.

Yeah, I've always thought Robert Griffin was going to severely embarrass someone one day, and unfortunately it looks like TCU may be the victims this time. I like TCU, they encompass pretty much everything a mid-major football team should want to achieve, just like ECU. About 20 and a half hours until kickoff, and the only news out of Charlotte is that Spurrier is going with his backup instead of Garcia to start against us. Maybe a good sign?

EDIT: Yeaaah, I'm thinking Boise is already getting lined up for the mid-major Rose Bowl (if not Nat'l Championship) spot. TCU is reminding me of ECU's defense last year, which gave up a 70+ point game along with a 60+ affair. Not fun. I hope TCU wins their other 11 games even more now, if they go 3 and out here they may be done.

EDIT2: Ack. As Lou Holtz would say, TCU are getting beat like yard-dogs. This is just sad to watch, and really makes me wish ECU would have scheduled TCU. Robert Griffin sort of looks like an NFL player playing against Pop Warner kids at this point.

EDIT3: My jaw is becoming more and more unhinged with every play. Coming back from a 20+ point deficit in two quarters? Insane. TCU has shown some major moxy in this game, even with missing that 2 point conversion. Still 7 minutes left.

EDIT4: My jaw is on the floor. This game is just telling me that the football gods love us and have a sense of humor. If you're missing this game, I feel for you.

Last edited:
Lol as soon as I put on the Baylor game they fell apart and TCU is kicking ass.

I can finally make a new post :lol:. Once Baylor started going conservative, Griffin started hesitating. That equals death for Baylor apparently.

47-23 at the beginning of the 4th, 48-47 now. That's just unreal.

That was the best game I've watched in awhile. Reminds me of when we beat WVU at home atmosphere-wise, that stadium on TV was absolutely electric. TCU will be fine if they can play 60 minutes.

Last edited:
My goodness! This season just started, and that TCU at Baylor match is a front-runner for "Game of the Year!" That was one hell of a game! I already can't wait for the Boise State vs. Georgia and LSU vs. Oregon games.

Yep. College football is back for doggone sure!

I have a couple of friends that are riding down to Atlanta (for lack of something better to do..?) for the Dawgs-Broncos game. I'm excited to watch that, but unfortunately all 8 o'clock games will have to be watched during the commercials of the ECU game. At least I'll get to see the end of all the games :).

Are you ready? The first full Saturday of college football is here! This is the first Saturday of college fun, and the only Saturday that doesn't involve the NFL. Enjoy this weekend of football action! My beloved Houston Cougars will host UCLA later today here in Houston.

Elsewhere in college football, Oklahoma has recently suggested they want out of the Big XII. I don't know who would pick up Oklahoma if this came true. Two things: (1) where do you think Oklahoma will end up, and (2) do you think the Big XII dying? I remember the Big XII used to be the Big Eight some time ago. Hey, here's an idea... bring back the Southwest Conference and bring in the past teams of the SWC (Houston, TCU, Arkansas, etc.)!

Enjoy this weekend! ^_^

I'm so down, just gotta try to knock out as much homework as I can before the start of the first game - I know I won't get much of anything done once the cleats hit the gridiron. Should be a fun Saturday!

Are you going to the game, JohnBM? Oklahoma, or anyone else for that matter, could end up anywhere. Location has no merit in conference selection anymore, see TCU. I'll just have to figure out which game to watch until 7, maybe Carolina will lose. đź‘Ť

Villain, it's a three day weekend, you got time :lol:.

Auburn is down 7-0 to the Aggies of Utah State. Looks like I'm on Upset Patrol today :).

Auburn down 14-7, Utah State has the ball and are driving.

Auburn is getting absolutely manhandled in the trenches. 21-7 Utah State.

Oh no, Auburn returns a kickoff for a TD. That's really unfortunate, Auburn got the momentum back on a stupid play. 21-14. Auburn is playing defense better, though.

Middle Tennessee State is beating Purdue 14-10. Auburn score remains the same.

Ack. Virginia Tech is laying waste to App State, 31-0 in the first half. We have them at home next weekend and play the same defense as App State. Maybe we will impress.

Utah State up 24-21, 3rd Quarter. This one may end up being pretty good.

Auburn up 28-24 with 2 minutes in the 3rd.

Utah State back up 31-28. I was not expecting to have a close one to watch until 3:30, happily surprised :). Just a sidenote, Auburn has not played well. It seems that they used their whole payroll on Cam Newton last year and didn't save any for this year ;). Middle Tennessee up 17-10.

Utah State just ran a fake field goal on the 10 yard line. Called complete on the field, currently under review. (I guess reading this will be like watching the game? :lol:)

Call stands! Go Aggies! Touchdown Utah State! This reminds me when ECU played (as always ;)) Virginia Tech in Charlotte and won, purple v. orange and everything!

38-35 Utah State, 2 minutes left. I'm sure the fans who left early (that sickens me, by the way) are kicking themselves. Wonder if Auburn will onside kick?

Auburn recovers the onside kick. Crap. At least Jeff Blake's son (outstanding ECU quarterback) got it..

42-38 Auburn with 30 seconds left. Disappointing.

It's final. 42-38 Auburn. Utah State played a heckuva game, though, kudos to them. Onto watching USC/Minn, UNC/JMU, USF/ND (my two least favorite teams), Houston/UCLA and whoever else is close đź‘Ť.

---

15 minutes until kickoff! (am I weird for posting in this single post all day?) Go Pirates, give 'em all you've got! Take no prisoners, Hoist the Colors! Sorry, a tad excited, I should be in Charlotte but my dad's friend had heart surgery so we decided not to go to make him feel better and give him a companion to watch the game with. Argh!

Last edited:
Florida versus Florida Atlantic: Yes, I went both schools. You know, it was easier during the last match-up, because UF was driving towards a national title in the sunset of the regular season. But in the first week?...too tough to call.

Will still watch, quietly...

I understand that Pupik, it is like when ECU plays Duke. I don't harp about my fanship with Duke as much, but I've gotten into their football program more as I've loved their basketball more and more. On the positive, ECU normally wins that match up so its okay đź‘Ť. 7 PM, game time!

LSU Vs. Oregon looks like a really good game.. Boise State vs. Georgia looks good too.. and Norte Dame, with two severe storm delays LOSES to South Florida by three despite Norte Dame having five turnovers. Come one ECU, knock out South Carolina so the old ball coach goes nuts! :lol: --- Randy :dopey:

If anything else wrong can happen, I want it to happen tonight. This is just unreal. Starting off 17-0 and now this. Duke lost too. Although ECU never is able to finish games, I figured we may be able to make the fans proud. Dominique (my avatar) played well when it mattered, after our new running back fumbled the game away so many times everything started to go downhill. Hopefully he can be fixed. Seeing as we competed with the #12 team in the nation, hopefully we can eclipse our 4 win expectation and make a bowl game. I still love you boys, always will, I can't wait to see you all on Saturday. Lose with class and shed some positive light on the program, learn from your mistakes, and come back hungrier next week. At least Boise is winning.

LSU defeats Oregon 40-27. If you watched the game you know that it wasn't even that close. LSU just dominated the game forcing Darron Thomas to throw 50+ passes and LaMichael James only around 50 yards rushing. And remember LSU did this without their starting quarterback or number one wide reciever.

USF is legit. I almost went there. They'll be a big football program soon kinda like how Boise State came to be.

Notre Dame sucks. It's where coaches go to ruin their careers. :lol:

USF is good, I am sad that Skip left ECU but I can't blame him, the pastures are much greener. Other than my misfortune, fun round of games to watch.

Omnis
USF is legit. I almost went there. They'll be a big football program soon kinda like how Boise State came to be.

Notre Dame sucks. It's where coaches go to ruin their careers. :lol:

I think the statistic was that Notre Dame have finished with a worse ranking than they started with in sixteen of their last eighteen seasons. :lol:

And my Mom went to USF.
Back when it was still a joke though...

Hopefully they didn't have a football team when your mom went there, seeing as it has only been around for about 10 to 15 years. I want to say 1998 but I'm not sure. When they played in Conference USA that was the only game we ever won, we normally whooped them pretty well, actually.

Just some random ramblings...

• The only thing that looked impressive for Oregon against LUS was Oregon's uniforms. I liked those stealth bomber-like uniforms for Oregon. I stopped watching after LSU put up six with about less than four minutes left in the game. It was 40-27 in favor of LSU. It's season over, according to the Oregon guy who said that this was a must-win.

• The Georgia Bulldogs ended up losing their match to Boise State. The very nice red uniforms for Georgia were the only thing that really looked good for the Bulldogs.

• My beloved Houston Cougars got revenge from last year in beating UCLA. Play of the game was #25 for the Cougars shaking off three or five Bruins to take her to the house. My boys won 38-24 or something like that.

• When I first got into football in 2002, Oregon State had a great team. Saturday, they lost to Sacramento State in 29-28 in Overtime.

• I found out that Richmond of the FCS division went on the road and beat Duke. Duke should be ashamed of themselves.

• Tough one for Notre Dame to swallow as they lost 23-20 to South Florida.

• Tough break for the Pirates of East Carolina. I really thought ECU could really stun South Carolina, but losing 56-37 to the Gamecocks is a tough one to digest. Well, they don't have very long to take this one in- up next... they host Virginia Tech next Saturday.

A few more games coming up today as well as a little Monday Night Football- COLLEGE STYLE! Enjoy this lovely weekend of college football and the other remaining games for this weekend!

You guys only won by 4, JohnBM. It was a fine game to watch. Other than blowing our 17-0 lead, we made some stupid mistakes that cost us the game. I want to win Saturday really badly now, after seeing how that game was within our grasp.

Yeah, I found out Houston won 38-34. Most of what I post is usually spontaneous, much like quickly filming something with a camera phone or a video camera and putting it online. I still had my doubts we'd win that game. The weather has been hectic with games that have been either postponed or delayed. Almost as if Mother Nature doesn't like college football.

Back