College Football 2011 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 422 comments
Personally I dont like the idea of a playoff. One of the parts of college football that I enjoy is a team having to play their best week in and week out, and usually have to go undefeated to get to the National Championship. Now Im cool with a playoff system deciding the other bowl games, but not the National Championship. As much as I dont like Alabama being in the Championship, they are the second best team in the country. And as you know, its #1 vs #2.

Blitz24
You know you don't belong in a bowl game when your coach gets fired before you lose the championship game for your conference.

That's still not the fault of the players who played their heart out all season. They all loved their coach and probably wanted him to finish the season. And its about the players, especially the seniors who wouldn't have gotten to suit up one last time if the championship game (which I reiterate: they SHOULD NOT have been there to start with. The rightful division champion was not allowed, so UCLA got shoved in.) decided their fate, which in this case, it shouldn't have. If they won the division and lost, then no bowl, but they didn't actually deserve to play Saturday which is why they are where they are.

Justin
Top argument for the need for playoffs:

2011 Bowl Season.

Seriously.:confused:

Sad thing is, it'll never be fair. There'll still be some AQ conference garbage and teams like Boise and Houston and ECU who have the ways and means to absolutely destroy BCS teams some seasons are gonna get left out in the cold. I'm gonna be pissed if ECU gets bumped down to FCS, is all I can say.

Bowl games! Bowl games! Get your spicy hot Bowl games! Here's the schedule (courtesy: Yahoo! Sports): http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/scoreboard?w=16&c=all&y=2011

Here are the big games:
* ROSE BOWL: #9 Wisconsin vs. #6 Oregon
* FIESTA BOWL: #4 Stanford vs. #3 Oklahoma State
* SUGAR BOWL: #13 Michigan vs. #17 Virginia Tech
* ORANGE BOWL: #23 West Virginia vs. #14 Clemson
* BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: #1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama

Any Bowl games you're interested in from the ones I posted or any of the non-BCS matches?

Boise needs to kick some ASU butt, same with TCU and whoever they're playing in the Poinsettia Bowl. Basically, any non-BCS team needs to win. I'm ready to see this system gone. USM is playing Nevada, also kind of a joke. I hope Houston beats Penn State, that's my biggest interest as of now, but it changes many times. I normally watch them all anyway :lol:.

Georgia is going to crush MSU in the outback bowl! Nevermind MSU will most likely crush them

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN...

...I read from a tweet on Twitter that the University of Houston will join the Big East next season for football. I hope it's just for football because I think we'd be fed to the wolves if we had to take on Georgetown and Connecticut and all on the basketball front.

This might work well for the Cougars even if it means we become part of a basketball conference with only so-so talent in football. The Big XII would be a better fit (or just bring back the Southwest Conference), but good for the Coogs.

[UPDATE] Houston to the Big East for ALL sports starting in 2013 along with Central Florida and SMU. Boise State, San Diego State, and Navy will join for football only.

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN...

...I read from a tweet on Twitter that the University of Houston will join the Big East next season for football. I hope it's just for football because I think we'd be fed to the wolves if we had to take on Georgetown and Connecticut and all on the basketball front.

This might work well for the Cougars even if it means we become part of a basketball conference with only so-so talent in football. The Big XII would be a better fit (or just bring back the Southwest Conference), but good for the Coogs.
The Big East has announced that the following 5 schools will be joining the Big East:

Boise State
San Diego State will be joining for football only.

Houston
Central Florida
Southern Methodist will be joining for all sports.

I'm watching ESPN's "College Football Live" right now. Houston, UCF, and SMU in all sports. What bugs me about the Big East expansion is the possible inclusion of Boise State and San Diego State for football. Again- I think too much about regional markets, so Boise State and SDSU would make no sense for an EAST COAST conference.

So if you ask me, this is probably just a way to get more deserving schools a better chance at BCS Bowl action if no playoffs ever happen on the FBS level. If there was a better method of giving schools their BCS Bowl break, then it would have been implemented long ago without conference realignment shaking things up.

I updated my previous post to reflect certain changes.

I'm watching ESPN's "College Football Live" right now. Houston, UCF, and SMU in all sports. What bugs me about the Big East expansion is the possible inclusion of Boise State and San Diego State for football. Again- I think too much about regional markets, so Boise State and SDSU would make no sense for an EAST COAST conference.

So if you ask me, this is probably just a way to get more deserving schools a better chance at BCS Bowl action if no playoffs ever happen on the FBS level. If there was a better method of giving schools their BCS Bowl break, then it would have been implemented long ago without conference realignment shaking things up.

I updated my previous post to reflect certain changes.

Blame this all on the conference re-alignment. The Big East had to act after losing Pittsburgh and Syracuse, having TCU renege on their deal and having West Virginia believe that they can leave and leave NOW. This deal gives the Big East for 2012 a championship game with or without West Virginia (who frankly should just get out of the Big East and go be a doormat for the Big 12).

West Virginia would NOT be a doormat in the Big 12, they've had years where they could definitely compete in the Big 12 easily.

I'm just mad that ECU is getting shunned just because we aren't in a direct metropolitan area. San Diego State? That's not for football, that's for TV. SMU? That is surely not for football, that's also TV. Thing is, with the density of Pirate fans in and around the Raleigh, Charlotte, and Southeastern Virginia area, the gosh darn Big East would get more viewers that care rather than a place with basically zero fan base like San Diego State. Fact.

Stats for you all:

ECU is now #1 in the country in Non-AQ attendance, formerly behind BYU, who is now independent. They would have finished in the upper half of the Big East and middle of the pack in the ACC.

ECU sells the most team licensed merchandise among Non-AQ schools. (Hell, we just spent $200 at the student store yesterday probably.)

ECU resides in the #5 TV market in the country, if you count Charlotte and the Triangle, where we outview fans of schools like NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, and I'm fairly sure about UNC.

Source: site in my sig.

It just disgusts me how little they care to look, it just seems that if you're in a big city, you're in no matter how much you suck. Grr.

Larry Fedora is headed to UNC and June Jones is going to ASU.

Jones' offer has been pulled, we'll see if he gets it back.

Last edited:
I had to go out with my family, so I was unable to see the Heisman deal. But man... I was absolutely surprised Robert Griffin III (who I love) won the Heisman. I'm proud for the young man.

I wasn't surprised (still pumped) because everyone on SportsCenter predicted it, and I trust them :lol:.

One thing I forgot to mention (many things, really...), the University of Houston had its party celebrating their acceptance to the Big East. They'll play in the Big East for all sports starting in 2013. I hear ground breaking for an $80M renovation of Robertson Stadium will begin in about 10 months. UH REALLY needs to renovate (on the basketball front) Hoffheinz Pavillion. Hell, I don't care if they have to play their games at Toyota Center- that place is OLD! One of few arenas still with the main scoreboard attached to the ceiling.

Elsewhere, I've always respected East Carolina; and your convincing of ECU is very much... well, convincing. Sorry you guys aren't getting much loving after all the ECU Pirates have done. I even remember the ECU upset wins against certain great teams. Underappreciated or underrated are words I'd use to describe East Carolina. Maybe they'll head to a BCS conference someday.

December 17th is the start of the 2011-2012 Bowl Season! While I love the University of Houston, I also love Sam Houston State University. They knocked off Montana State in a blowout. I think it was 48-17 or something. The *undefeated* Bearkats will take on Montana in the FCS Semifinals. I'm skeptical about that one for SHSU. But if they can pull off the win, that would be ultra cool!

Great first day of bowl games, it's great to see how hard fought and exciting they are, even if they have no meaning. The Ragin' Cajuns impressed me especially.

Also, if you suffer a concussion and a seizure after a locker room fight, I have a strong feeling you lost. That's what happened to Penn State QB Matt McGloin. I don't think I would go in that locker room at all, something bad is bound to happen :lol:.

It did not take too long for Urban Meyer to get recruiting here in N.E. Ohio He has recruited a Michigan State commit, a Penn State commit, and wavering Ohio Sate commit. I personally have seen the Canton McKinley recruit (Se'Von Pittman) and the GlenOak recruit (Bri'Onte Dunn) play football. They are fast and very talented. Speed, it's what you need to run the spread, it's coming to the Big 10. Just give it a year or two to gel and I think you'll see the Bucks back up there in the rankings. (at least I hope) :lol:

Tony Levine. Who is Tony Levine? He'll be the new head coach for the University of Houston football team as Kevin Sumlin left for Texas A&M. I just hope we can remain competitive even as we transition from Conference USA to the Big East under 39-year old Tony Levine.

This one deserves its own post... Matt Barkley will remain at USCal. The sanctions and such are off of USCal for next season. Maybe this is Matt Barkley's chance to lead his Trojans to postseason glory for the 2012 season. I actually thought he would want to stay at USCal for another season, and I was right.

Best of luck to Matt Barkley. If he can catch fire for the Trojans like Case Keenum for my beloved Houston Cougars, then Barkley is going to be doggone near untouchable.

Tough way to end the season if you're an Iowa State Cyclones fan. On the other hand, remember and cherish that upset (then) #2 Oklahoma State.

I can't wait to see the Houston vs. Penn State matchup. Two reasons why I think we'll lose that game- (1) Houston teams always seem to fail on national television, and (2) any powerful team in any sort of disarray means we'll likely lose. So I fear my beloved Cougars will fail on January 2nd. But... we'll see.

I have a feeling Houston blows Penn State out of the water, John. If you guys aren't seeing it now, the Skycam has fallen out of the sky in Tempe at the Insight Bowl, and play has been suspended until it can be cleaned up :lol:. If it weren't for good ol' exams, I might could watch a few BCS games. Thankfully, since the exam next Tuesday is meaningless, I should get to watch the Championship in its entirety 👍.

Tough way to end the season if you're an Iowa State Cyclones fan. On the other hand, remember and cherish that upset (then) #2 Oklahoma State.

I can't wait to see the Houston vs. Penn State matchup. Two reasons why I think we'll lose that game- (1) Houston teams always seem to fail on national television, and (2) any powerful team in any sort of disarray means we'll likely lose. So I fear my beloved Cougars will fail on January 2nd. But... we'll see.

Flip-side, 2 of the 3 best days of the year for Rutgers (3rd best day was upending #9 Villanova earlier this year in Basketball.

I don't know about "out of the water," but my #19 Houston Cougars just handled #22 Penn State 30-14. We took care of business despite my usual premonitions regarding Houston teams on national TV. I can only hope University of Houston football can remain strong even with their eventual transition to the Big East.

The first BCS bowl action is coming up later today. Enjoy some college football, folks!

That game got shafted and it shouldn't have been. Shame on ESPN for burying that game on a expanded sports channel while parading the amazing Urban bowl between two 6-6 teams.

Have fun watching the Rose Bowl game guys, the wonderful people who made the school schedule put exam week on BCS week. I really wanted to see Oregon's helmets live too, even though I want Wisconsin to win.

Watching the Rose Bowl now, because it's always worth it to see the Oregon Ducks' uniforms. I know some of the traditionalists hate it, but their design department always creates a winner.

The green and chrome reminds me more of Sandro Nannini's Benetton days than anything else in the football world.

Alessandro_Nannini_1988_Canada_2.jpg

Maybe it's just me...

...and their matching band just played Van Halen's Panama, just to top it off. I didn't imagine that!

Gator Nation also salvaged a win in the "Jacksonville" Bowl, which was a little sweeter to watch when you're in Michigan for the week, knowing they're rooting against their opponent (almost reminded me of my days in Gainesville).

Last edited:
Back