College Football: 2015 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 164 comments
Among tonight's games...

* #11 Clemson at Louisville
* Florida A&M at South Carolina State

These are two games to be on the ESPN networks tonight. No matter which games you'll be following this weekend, good luck to all of your teams this weekend.

Prior to the second half of the fourth quarter and overtime, I was dreading the drive home from Knoxville. OU's offense was playing so poorly. Rough way to lose and all of the Tennessee fans around me were just devastated. I tried to not be too excited at the win.

I was too after the game, but after the last few seasons it was nice just to be competitive agains a quality opponent. But, I just had a feeling all night that taking the 3 points instead of going for it ont the 1 was going to cost us.

How do you think Oklahoma will do in Big XII play this season, Brett? How do you like Tennessee this season in SEC play, tbwhhs?

To be honest its still hard to say, we could win the east or we could end up 7-5 or 6-6 again. Having played Oklahoma though does give us a tough opponent before the SEC schedule. Personally I think that were the 2nd best team in the east behind Georgia, but we play them at home this year so I do think we have a chance to get to Atlanta if we can stay healthy.

A few musings coming up. First off...

* DOWN GOES ALABAMA!

The Crimson Tide got tripped up at home by the Mississippi Rebels. The fans in Tuscaloosa weren't real happy seeing 'Bama get whacked at home by the Rebels. So it's back-to-back wins against the Crimson Tide as Ole Miss won 43-37. Five turnovers by the Crimson Tide. We'll have to see how far down the standings Alabama will fall with this loss. This is Ole Miss' first win at Alabama since 1988.

* DOWN GOES USCal!

The Stanford Cardinal went into Los Angeles and took down the USCal Trojans in their house 41-31. The Trojans were #6 in the nation and likely will take a hit in the standings.

* Texas made quite a comeback... almost. California went into Austin and beat the Longhorns 45-44. The big factor was Texas missing an Extra Point after scoring a late touchdown. I think Texas is going to bounce back in football. Right now, though, these are rough waters the Longhorns are sailing in the college football landscape.

So another crazy week of college football comes to an end. Wow, right?

f27Ymwa.gif

How about some more "interesting" wins? Check these out:

* Here is the most interesting win of this past weekend. Furman is one of the best NCAA FCS programs, and they knocked off the University of Central Florida over the weekend at UCF. It was a 16-15 victory for the Furman Paladins.

* Perhaps underrated is that the California Golden Bears are 3-0 after knocking off Texas at Texas 45-44.

* Iowa is also 3-0 after they took down Pittsburgh at home 27-24.

* Even though they lost, I was impressed Tulsa hung on for as long as they did at Oklahoma.

* On the NCAA FCS level, I learned the Flames of 14th ranked Liberty University knocked off #7 Montana. The Montana Grizzlies are a beast football program. I mentioned earlier this season that they beat (then) top-ranked North Dakota State.

Elsewhere, I hear Coastal Carolina is the top-ranked team in NCAA FCS. I've always respected the Chanticleers. On top of this, I read a report that Coastal Carolina is coming to the NCAA FBS level to join the Sun Belt in 2016. Best of luck to CCU when they do get to be Sun Belt members.

Michigan just blew out BYU with a 31-0 rout. This is Michigan's first win against a top-25 ranked opponent since 2013 (BYU was 22 entering the game).

Yep...

DOWN GOES BYU!

Yeah, I saw the Wolverines tamed some kitties from Utah. Congratulations to Michigan on this great win. That was almost like some vintage Michigan Wolverines football.

One other thing I want to say- I'm sold on Running Back Leonard Fournette of LSU. That dude just drags defenders and racks up yardage. He could very well be a Heisman candidate if he keeps up his solid form.

I hope all of your teams are doing well this weekend.

Texas just lost to Oklahoma State. The Cowboys won 30-27 thanks to a high snap on a punt attempt late for Texas to punt the ball followed by an even worse punt. A field goal gave OK State the 30-27 lead with six seconds left in the game. The University of Texas-Austin is now 1-3 on the season when they probably could be 3-1. Shame. Maybe the Pope should offer his services to save Texas Longhorns' football.

A few games on the East Coast will be moved in hopes of avoiding the roughest bits of Hurricane Joaquin. My best wishes and prayers are with all of you folks on the East Coast. The big games this weekend include:

* Notre Dame at Clemson
* #13 Alabama at #8 Georgia

Tonight, however, here is tonight's game on ESPN:

* Miami at Cincinnati

And on Friday:

* Temple at UNC-Charlotte
* Memphis at USF
* Connecticut at BYU

Go enjoy some college football this weekend. Good luck to all of your teams.

[UPDATE] "Joaquin," not "Joaquim." Changes made.

Last edited:
A couple thoughts from the Michigan-Maryland game:
1. Michigan looked like crap the first half. Bad reads from Rudock and terrible ball handling kept it close. But when the team started playing well in the second half, the rout was on. 28-0 Michigan.
2. Matt Millen is still a giant ass. He sucked as the Detroit Lions GM, and he's just as garbage as a commentator these days. No commentator in their right mind should ever say that a team has flat given up and isn't playing, but he accused Maryland of doing just that. Ironically, they sacked Rudock right after that so it made him look bad.

Enjoy this weekend's games! SMU battles Houston tonight here in Houston. A game I am interested in this weekend is California at Utah- a PAC-12 match.

It was 49-28 as my Houston Cougars beat the SMU Mustangs here in Houston in this college version of a Houston/Dallas rivalry. We're now 5-0 while SMU is 1-5.

DOWN GOES OKLAHOMA!

Texas took down #10 Oklahoma 24-17 earlier today in Dallas. This is a much-needed win for the Longhorns considering how troubled this winning program has been as of late. Nothing makes most losing colleges feel better than beating your rival. Texas led 14-3 at the Half. To Texas, this win was like winning the National Championship the way the Longhorns were so jubilant after their win.

Congratulations to all other winners this week.

Michigan just shut out Northwestern with a 38-0 shutout victory. That is now three consecutive shutouts for Michigan. Up next is Michigan State, and that will take place at the Big House.

Maybe that loss at Utah earlier this season somehow infuriated Michigan to beat down everybody- even in shutouts. The Big House is tough to play at. Now three straight shutouts? That's impressive to me no matter what level of football it is. If you blank teams in successive games, that means your defense is solid while your offense just does nothing but execute. Blue and maize getting it done. Big time.

The Michigan score surprised me, I thought that was going to be a close game. Hopefully they can keep playing like this and beat the Spartans.

Tennessee came back from a 24-3 deficit with 1:00 left in the 1st half to beat Georgia 38-31.

The Michigan score surprised me, I thought that was going to be a close game. Hopefully they can keep playing like this and beat the Spartans.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was going to be 14-14, 21-21, or maybe 28-21, but I wasn't even remotely thinking it would be a 38-0 shutout. I don't think they'll shut out Michigan State (they have had a good defense for years and also have a really solid offense), but my initial gut feeling is that the team with the ball last will be the team that wins the Wolverines/Spartans game.

Spare thoughts for Georgia's Nick Chubb, who suffered a brutal injury on the very first play of the game from the Georgia at Tennessee game yesterday. His mother reported that Chubb tore three ligaments in his left knee. It was ugly to watch. I surely hope Chubb will recover from this injury regardless of how long it will take before he can take the field again.

One cool story of late has been LSU RB Leonard Fournette wanting to donate his jersey to help out in the recovery efforts in South Carolina after all the horrible flooding there. Even better is that the NCAA is cool with it, saying that Fournette can donate his jersey. You know the NCAA can be b:censored:y about players and money. This was surely a great gesture by the NCAA as well as by Leonard Fournette.

Randy Edsall is no longer the coach of Maryland's football team. He was fired by Maryland not too long ago (as of this post). Not sure whom the Terrapins have put in as interim coach, but I'm hopeful Maryland will bounce back.

The biggest surprise among Top 25 AP teams is Toledo at #24. The Toledo Rockets had a very cool season and would love to crash the playoff party among the Power 5 conference schools.

There are some of my musings in college football of late. By the way, did any of you see that beautiful one-handed touchdown catch by Mississippi's Laquan Treadwell? Dude stretches out his right arm for the ball while also staying in bounds to head into the end zone. It was impressive.

Will Grier (QB, Florida) tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, and he will be suspended automatically for one full year. I think Grier will appeal, but he's out for the rest of this season and the first six games of next season. #8 Florida will be at #6 LSU this coming weekend.

The SEC East race is wide open again, I see the winner of the FLA/UGA game winning the division. If only we didn't have to play Alabama in 2 weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sarkisian doesn't coach another game at USC. The AD might be let go too if there is any truth to the rumors going around about Sarkisian being drunk when they played Arizona State and keeping alcohol in an equipment trunk on the sidelines.

THIS JUST IN...

Steve Sarkisian has been fired as head coach by USCal. Good luck to Sarkisian and all the best to him whatever and wherever he ends up next.

Well, I figured that was going to happen. This is one of those instances in which a person's health is bigger than the game. I hope Steve can conquer his demons and ward off what clearly seems like a serious alcohol addiction.

THIS JUST IN...

Steve Spurrier is reportedly retiring immediately. The 70-year old coach of South Carolina is stepping down apparently. Not sure if it's health concerns or what. But wow- the ol' ball coach is retiring. If he is done for good, how will you remember Steve Spurrier? Hall of Famer (obvious one to me- first ballot)?

Apparently, Steve Spurrier is RESIGNING, not RETIRING. He's still made some serious damage on the college football landscape as coach. I wish Steve Spurrier well in his retirement/resignation.

I wish he would have finished the season, but I see the point of leaving now instead of later. Either way, he will still go down as arguably one of the best college coaches ever.

I sympathize for Wolverine Nation after the University of Michigan failed tragically late against Michigan State. A late punt by Michigan resulted in Michigan State getting the ball and rumbling into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown. Michigan State never led in the game until that point. As a sports analogy, this is like leading every lap of a race... except the final lap. Either that, or winning a drag race on a holeshot inches from the finish line. Sparty knocking off their hated Wolverine rivals in The Big House. Totally heartbreaking for Michigan fans.

On a different note, my U. of Houston Cougars improved to 6-0 with a convincing win at Tulane back on Friday night- 42-7. Alabama wasn't scared of the 12th Man as they easily hammered Texas A&M 41-23 in College Station. TAMU got intercepted multiple times for pick-six TDs by the Crimson Tide.

Congratulations to all other winners.

Back