College Football: 2015 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 164 comments
Nobody was expecting Iowa to be good this year. Of course, the realignment of the B1G helped them out a ton, but still- they have been playing far, far better than anyone thought they would.

I'd say I'm okay for the most part with these rankings. I will not argue against Clemson or Alabama. Here are the remaining schedules for the Top 4 teams:

CLEMSON: at Syracuse, Wake Forest, at South Carolina
ALABAMA: at Mississippi State, Charleston Southern, at Auburn
OHIO STATE: at Illinois, Michigan State, at Michigan
NOTRE DAME: Wake Forest, at Boston College, at Stanford

And for the LAST TWO OUT...
IOWA: Minnesota, Purdue, at Nebraska
BAYLOR: at Oklahoma State, at TCU, Texas

Since Iowa doesn't play Ohio State, I am now starting to believe Iowa COULD run the table. However, let's say Iowa and Ohio State finish undefeated. Iowa and Ohio State would meet in the Big Ten Championship Game. I would say that if Iowa defeated Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game, they'd HAVE to leap over Ohio State in the CFP rankings, I would imagine.

Perhaps the one with the toughest schedule of the Top 4 would be Ohio State. I was going to say Alabama, but Ohio State has a fairly tough schedule ahead. Ohio State should run over Illinois like it's nothing. But then, the Buckeyes will have to deal with the Spartans and the Wolverines. I think both games against Michigan State and at Michigan will be fairly close, maybe no more than 14 points in either game. Ohio State could lose to either (or even both) Michigan State and/or Michigan.

Clemson has a fairly easy schedule to me. They'll probably face their next toughest challenge in the ACC Championship Game against maybe North Carolina.

Notre Dame is good, but their only real challenge will be at Stanford to close the season out.

Baylor has been held down mostly because of their Strength of Schedule. Is Baylor for real? Their schedule the rest of the way will be brutal.

It's going to be a wild ride to close the season out with these teams. Strap in!

Indiana pulled its usual Give Big Ten teams a scare but then lose at the end. Michigan managed to win 48-41 in 2OT after a 4th and goal pass attempt by Indiana to tie the game was broken up. Indiana probably should have won that game since they really outplayed Michigan for most of it (as they did for most of their rivals in the conference). That team is probably a few plays away from being a major spoiler in the B1G and also is probably a few plays away from being a team with a winning record. I knew going in to this game as a Wolverines fan that Indiana was a team that could spoil the party for Michigan, and they almost did just that.

That was a heck of a game between Michigan at Indiana. All congratulations to Michigan on the Double OT win.

More musings...

* Is the University of Houston still unbeaten when the Memphis Tigers came to H-Town? The answer... YES! I don't know how they did it, but they did it. UH won 35-34 against the Memphis Tigers. HUGE win for the Cougars to improve to 10-0. Their remaining schedule is at Connecticut and home against Navy.

* Oh... and DOWN GOES BAYLOR! #6 Baylor bowed out as #12 Oklahoma beat them 44-34. Baylor was on the outside-looking-in from the current College Football Playoff rankings. Now, basically remove them from CFP mention after this loss.

* DOWN GOES LSU (again)! It was 31-14 in favor of the Arkansas Razorbacks winning at #9 LSU. Any Playoff hopes (and maybe Heisman hopes for Leonard Fournette) are basically dashed now.

* DOWN GOES STANFORD! Oregon took down #7 Stanford 38-36 in Palo Alto, CA.

* Great win for Missouri after being in the news pretty much this entire week with unrest over its president. Missouri beat BYU in a neutral site game played in Kansas City, MO. It was a 20-16 win for the Missouri Tigers over the BYU Cougars.

Congratulations to all other winners this week.

Here are the latest College Football Playoff rankings as of November 17, 2015...

TOP 4:
1.) Clemson
2.) Alabama
3.) Ohio State
4.) Notre Dame

MATCHES (if playoff began today):
* Clemson vs. Notre Dame
* Alabama vs. Ohio State

FIRST TWO OUT:
5.) Iowa
6.) Oklahoma State

If you wish to comment on these latest rankings, feel free to do so.

Enjoy some college football today and tonight. Any real shake-up can impact the Playoff race as the season winds down.

And of course, good luck to all of your teams.

A few quick notes...

* South Carolina lost to a very powerful opponent. Yes... they lost at home to The Citadel. It was a 23-22 victory. Yes. That happened.

* Florida earlier today needed overtime to take down the Owls of Florida Atlantic 20-14 at The Swamp.

Still a good number of games either decided or in Halftime as of this post.

DOWN GOES OHIO STATE!

Their 23-game winning streak comes to an end as Michigan State kicked a game-winning field goal for the Spartans to escape with a win at The Ohio State University. This win may well take the Buckeyes out of the Top 4 discussion as far as the College Football Playoff is concerned. This may help Iowa and Oklahoma State be prospective in making the Top 4.

Unfortunately also, DOWN GOES HOUSTON! Yeah, my beloved Cougars fell 20-17 at the Connecticut Huskies. So UConn gets their first-ever victory defeating a previously unbeaten team in their football history. And it sadly had to come against my Coogs. Damn shame. I didn't have UH finish unbeaten anyway.

This is a fairly crazy day of college football. Salute all the winners from today's matches.

Well, Michigan won too with a 28-16 win, but The Spatans' beating Ohio State just ended the Playoff hopes for Michigan. Wolverines are not going to the big dance now, but we are still on a hell of a good season.

We have to beat Michigan - ain't that always the goal! - and PSU has to beat Sparty. COME ON PENN STATE!

Coolest catch of the day has to be the one Fred Ross of Mississippi State made at Arkansas. Dude makes a one-handed grab while in double coverage, then outruns the defenders for a touchdown. I even said on Twitter that this HAD to be a SportsCenter Top 10 nominee. One of the announcers of that game even said it scould be an SC Top 10 nominee. It was an awesome play. The Bulldogs ended up winning that game 51-50.

* Boston College and #4 Notre Dame played at Fenway Park, and the game ended 19-16 in favor of the Fighting Irish.

* Iowa doubled up sorry Purdue 40-20 earlier today in Iowa City.

* We may well put Iowa in the Top 4 because Oklahoma State got slapped around 45-35 at home hosting Baylor.

* LSU's freefall continues. 38-17 was the latest fail for the Tigers when they paid a visit to the Rebels of Ole Miss.

* Regulation solved nothing in Athens, GA between Georgia Southern and Georgia. The Georgia Bulldogs won 23-17 in Overtime over the visiting Georgia Southern Eagles.

These are all among many other scores from games around the nation.

ESPN is reporting that Les Miles will be out as LSU head coach. The LSU boosters have agreed to pay the $15 million buyout. I'm hearing down here in SEC country that he could be relieved of his duties as soon as today.

After a good bit of chaos this past week, the next College Football Playoff rankings should be interesting to watch later tonight. We all know Ohio State will take the biggest hit. All I'm wondering is how far down the rankings the Buckeyes will fall. Oklahoma State lost their game while Iowa just keeps on keeping on. Notre Dame is strong as usual. Could TCU or Baylor get some love and consideration? So tonight's rankings will be interesting to follow.

Time to update those College Football Playoff rankings. What do you think about those standings this week:

TOP 4:
1.) Clemson
2.) Alabama
3.) Oklahoma
4.) Iowa

FIRST TWO OUT:
5.) Michigan State
6.) Notre Dame

Well... how do feel about this set of rankings?

No reason not to be excited about this weekend. In fact, maybe the biggest game this weekend will be Iowa at Nebraska. The Hawkeyes could go to 12-0 with a win at the Cornhuskers. This game could even play a big role in how the College Football Playoff is affected should Iowa lose. And of course, you got games like Ohio State at Michigan as well as Michigan State at Penn State.

Let's not forget other conferences. Most notably, we got Bedlam- #5 Oklahoma at #9 Oklahoma State. Notre Dame has to handle some business at Stanford. We got Crash's Washington Huskies hosting the Cougars of Washington State. There's some clean, old-fashioned hate taking place in Atlanta as Georgia goes to Georgia Tech. Like Bluegrass? Then get excited for Louisville at Kentucky. Palmetto State pride is on the line as the #1 Clemson Tigers go to the 3-8 South Carolina Gamecocks.

Again- this is a great weekend for college football. Perhaps THE greatest weekend. So go enjoy some college football this weekend.

The Houston Cougars beat #15 Navy 52-31 and won the Western Division of the American Athletic Conference. The Coogs will host the winner of Temple/USF next week for the AAC conference championship. Congrats to the Coogs! Much respect to the Navy Midshipmen for their great performance all season.

In other games being played right now, it is 7-0 in favor of Iowa at Nebraska. 11:33 left in the First Half.

That was ugly, AnthonyD1993. Sad that Michigan got creamated by Ohio State 42-13. Even worse is that Michigan State had basically NO problem with hosting Penn State. Sparty had to lose for the Ohio State at Michigan winner to go to the B1G Championship Game next week. So it looks like undefeated Iowa and Michigan State will hook up for the B1G conference championship game.

As of the time of this post, Oklahoma may well be safe among the Top 4 in the College Football Playoff. They are up 44-17 at Oklahoma State with 22 seconds left in the First Half.

Penn State got absolutely demolished. Auburn lost. Slippery Rock won. Not a good college football day for me.

On a game-winning field goal, #9 Stanford took down #6 Notre Dame 38-36 in Palo Alto, CA. So let's review how the teams in the Playoff discussion did this week:

* #1 Clemson survives 37-32 at South Carolina.
* #2 Alabama won 29-13 at Auburn.
* #3 Oklahoma whacked #14 Oklahoma State 58-23 at Oklahoma State.
* #4 Iowa takes down rival Nebraska 28-20 on the road.

* #5 Michigan State ran over Penn State 55-16 at home.
* #6 Notre Dame fell on the road at #9 Stanford 38-36.

I will have to wonder who will take Notre Dame's place in the rankings after Notre Dame's fail. Part of me wants to believe Ohio State may take that place of Notre Dame. We'll see when the updated rankings come out this Tuesday.

Congratulations to all other winners this week in college football.

Only 1 Big 10 team's gonna make it, either Iowa or MSU. Ohio State lost any chance of making the playoffs by losing a game.

My Huskies aren't really in contention for anything, but damn, it was nice to not just take down, but dominate, the ranked WSU Cougars while enjoying a few beers on a post-Thanksgiving day.

Yeah, I thought about you, Crash when your UW Huskies completely overrated Washington State. When it comes to rivalry games, if you could win one game all season, you want it to be against the team you hate the most.

Tonight marks the penultimate set of rankings for the College Football Playoff for this season. We will see how the top six are aligned after last week's action.

College Football Playoff rankings as of December 1...

--- TOP 4 ---
1.) Clemson
2.) Alabama
3.) Oklahoma
4.) Iowa

--- FIRST TWO OUT ---
5.) Michigan State
6.) Ohio State

So there you have it. Look at this list and/or even comment on if you think the CFP committee got it right. Or maybe share what your CFP rankings would at this point.

Winner of the Big Ten Championship is probably (would say abosolutely, but anything can happen) going to the playoffs. I'm betting that the winner will be Michigan State.

Back